Your thoughts on taguel?

Dragoncat

I'm not saying gameplay wise, more like, story/lore wise. But if you want to comment on how they are as a class that's fine too.

Since I love the laguz to death and enjoy using them, you can get a pretty good idea of my opinion from that. When I first found out there were shapeshifters that turn into rabbits in Awakening I was all "wtf?" Rabbits are cowardly and not fierce at all, unlike the laguz which are all animals I can see being warriors. With the exception of herons...to a certain extent. But when I actually saw the taguel myself, I liked them. I think they're a good example of how creative Nintendo can get. They took a timid, mostly defenseless animal and made it badass. And they even kept part of how it is in the real world, with Yarne's personality.

All in all I like them enough to make a taguel OC. He can be found in my profile, but why not post him here too. Obviously I assume that they're not as wiped out as the game says they are. My taguel is a tribal elder, him and his tiny group are hiding from the rest of the world and surviving. His name is Fiver xD Yes, Watership Down...I really couldn't come up with a better name, but it works, right?

I find them to be an interesting topic, but also one that sadly reflects the real world accurately. I really like Panne, and apparently unlike the characters in the game, see where Yarne is always afraid of everything.

Also, I wish Panne was an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros.

I like the taguel, I just wish the game had gone more in depth with them like Ike's games did with the laguz. We learned about how the laguz came to be, the Serenes Massacre. how they suffered slavery, etc.

In fact, I kinda wish the laguz themselves would just return instead of IS making basic copies of them. I like rabbits a lot and all, but they could've just as easily been a new laguz tribe...

They need 1-2 range! *shot*

In all honesty, I kinda think they were just kinda shoved in like the rest of FE13. I think I would like them more if they were a bigger part of the story, like Laguz and Manaketes. They don't have much point overall, and I feel that they would be better if IS wasn't shoving everything into FE13...

Honestly, I felt they were pretty much just shoehorned in. It doesn't really help that I didn't find either one of the taguel characters likable... Well, that, and the fact that Taguel was absolute garbage as a class makes me not want to see it again.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Pretty much what others have said. In terms of story, I don't think the bit after Chapter 6 about the taguel massacre really added anything necessary to an already text-heavy game. I guess it showcased Emmeryn's character, but that could have been done without a laguz tease.

In terms of the taguel themselves, I think Bunny Warriors is a silly idea. Panne is likable.

My main problem with the tanguel is that, yes they probably were a throwback to the laguz, and Panne most likely based a bit of Lethe with their hatred towards humans, the problem comes with that, with Lethe, and the laguz in general, we saw the persecuation and misstreatment of them, even in our own army with units like Jill and Shinon.

Panne on the other hand, this comes back to awakening problem of explaining nothing, we are only told how badly the tanguel are treated, but we never se it, a lot of the plaer units are inclusiv toward her, and it is almost painfull to watch when Panne pretty much screams "racist" on pretty mch all of them, and, again, we never see the predjudice, like in PoR.

And there is really no reson for them to exist in the story.

Edit: They also missed a great opportunity to show the predjudice against the tanguel in the chapter where you recruit Yarne, by showing in the intro of the map some sort of dialog between Yarne and the soldiers he is fighting with, but nope, one more missed opporunity in the writting.

Also these:

i still don't know what was the point of them other then "bunny fetish"

then again this game is pretty fetish tastic

Honestly, I felt they were pretty much just shoehorned in. It doesn't really help that I didn't find either one of the taguel characters likable...

And a lot of the problems I have with Awakening comes down to them explaining close to nothing, tries to make throwbacks, but forget why it worked in the previous games, tries to make throwbacks and tie the story in a way that doesen't make sense.

My point is, awakening didn't need to be a sequel, and why write a story in a world when you fail to fallow the story and lore of that world so far.

Edited by that one person

Also, I wish Panne was an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros.

That would be cool...

I like the taguel, I just wish the game had gone more in depth with them like Ike's games did with the laguz. We learned about how the laguz came to be, the Serenes Massacre. how they suffered slavery, etc.

In fact, I kinda wish the laguz themselves would just return instead of IS making basic copies of them. I like rabbits a lot and all, but they could've just as easily been a new laguz tribe...

Well, they did do some backstory, but not enough, I agree. And laguz rule! Bring them back!

Yeah, all we know is that the Taguel were wiped out in a similar manner to the Tellius herons. But why? Who exactly was responsible? We don't know. The Serenes Massacre, on the other hand, is given a lot of background.

The Taguel bother me like the Griffon Riders do, they're just thrown in with little or no explanation. I can understand their motivation to have some sort of "Laguz" representative, but I think they could've handled it better.

And random Griffons out of nowhere irks me, at least say they are imported from a far away continent, at the very least.

I would say that the inclusion serves no purpose and is executed in the most graceless way possible.

I mean, who are they even? Did they have a nation? Were they nomads? How can the glorious leader of Ylisse not know that there was a genocide against the Tanguel? Don't people notice that kind of thing? And most importantly: Who killed them? Philia says Emmeryn is not at fault? Well, care to elaborate then? Because there aren't too many nations who even could be responsible in the first place. So who is at fault? Plegia? Ferox? Or maybe it's Ylisse after all? Are we going to answer any of that? Of course not. Off to the next scenario. Which features a never-seen-before advisor who never betrayed Emmeryn even back when she was a vulnerable little child, who betrays her 5 seconds after his introduction for no reason, gets killed 5 seconds later and never gets mentioned again.

At least genocide isn't the only thing that's brought up in this game just because Awakening apparently needs to fill it's textboxes with something to prevent the game from crashing.

And they serve no purpose in terms of gameplay either.

They don't play anything like the Laguz, they play like Manakete. Taguel don't have 2 Range but neither did the Manakete in FE1, 6, 8 and 11. They only ever did in FE3.

But most importantly, the Beorc-Laguz conflict was nothing short of the cornerstone of the Tellius saga. In this game, the Taguel are just kinda... there. Except when they are not, which is every scene after chapter 6. The genocide on the Taguel is nothing but (I hate using that term but I don't know a different one) a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment. It exists to be forgotten before the audience has time to ask the obvious questions. It's hard to call them a tribute if they are just barfed into the game like that.

All things considered, the Taguel pretty much feel to me like they just exist so that IS can create a clone of Fran while pretending that they are really just tributing the Laguz.

Edited by BrightBow

Unnecessary shout out to Laguz.

The Taguel are frankly, lame.

Panne's a clone of Lethe.

Yarne's a massive coward [and despite "Endling" status, he isn't even alone in that considering in the future, EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING is going extinct so he's never justified].

Personally, I like having battle bunnies and enjoy both Panne and Yarne's character. However the lore around Taguel have plot holes big enough to drive mac-trucks through and comes off as extremely weak since the only way the player can find out more about them is through support grinding with Panne... and I'd say that's Unrealiable Narrator sort of information as there's no larger contextual examples to stack it up against.

Taguel are very much a laguz fnaservice addition to the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't return/were never mentioned again in later games.

I can't add much else to the way they fit into the story than what has been said already. I will say that aesthetically speaking, giant murderous bunny rabbits were inserted into the game as well as they possibly could have been. They could have looked a lot more ridiculous.

also-

Yarne's a massive coward [and despite "Endling" status, he isn't even alone in that considering in the future, EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING is going extinct so he's never justified].

Amen.

I think that they are badly inserted in the story and feel even less natural (or even explained) than crossover characters in some games. Hell, they gave more explanations (not that hard) for the legacy characters which aren't even part of the main story.

You have that species which apparently isn't native from the continent (2000 years ago you hadn't a single trace of them of their more than probable ancestor), yet IS just kind of put them there and tell us to just take it like that.

BrightBow perfectly summarized the issue.