Tower of Demons

Cancer Lancer

Ahead of me is an all encompassing darkness. The great unknown. Mired by a deep, suffocating fog. Had I been tempted to leave the Tower, to witness for myself what was beyond? Many a times; in fact, I've even attempted to cross the great divide, in the hope that perhaps one day, I would be free of my fate. Alas, that was not to be so, for the Tower needed me for its own devices. And so, each time I had attempted cross the barrier, I was met with naught but an empty void; an endless plain of black and white, with only the long withered trees to keep me company. For years I had walked, only to see the same sights over and over, until I finally decided to turn back; in an instant, the fog left, and ahead of me the decrepit Tower stood, mockingly into the heavens. I am powerless to its will.

EwAAxPM.png

Yet, there was a promise. Were I to fulfill my duty, then I too will be set free. And so, I stand patiently in wait for the next who would attempt take up the mantle. The ones who would enter the Tower, and set me free. With such a simple promise, I've maintained my sanity for millennia. For each day may be the day that I met my saviors...

Ahead of me, I catch glimpse of 7 silhouettes. I could not smell the stench of death, nor the aura of corruption or madness that I had grown so accustomed. Humans. And so it is that I could finally feel a hint of my promised freedom. I allow them exit of the fog, until I could see their figures clearly. A foreign swordsman. A graceful artisan. A bestial warrior. A knight of conviction. A seeker of knowledge. A sinner of amends. And an envoy of the Dark. Had they been tempted by the Towers' embrace? Or had they come to quell this evil? They did not know. Their decisions at the face of absolute evil would mold new convictions, or powerful Demons.

"Welcome, Heralds, to the Tower of Demons. I am the Mystic, and I will give you guidance, should you need it, to overcome the great challenges that lie ahead. You have no doubt come to the Tower to relinquish the evil and reclaim humanity. I invite you to your duties, and pray for your success," I tell them. I then step from the Tower's great rusted iron gates, decorated with the insignia of vines, serpents, and crowns, to allow them entrance. The gates slowly pry open as if it was their own will, revealing a vast, empty hall of preserved stone, arches, and iron. "The Tower invites you. Go forth, if you've the courage to face evil that is beyond human imagination."

Edited by Cancer Lancer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calypso stepped through the gates and gazed upon the hall. It was a strange feeling, not being able to remember what brought her here. In fact she couldn't recall much of anything beyond stepping through the fog. All that she knew was what she wanted now: to conquer the tower and claim it and its denizens as her own. Fortunately, she traveled with six others. It wasn't much, but the witch was prepared to use them as a means to an end.

"I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit," Calypso replied to the mystic. As Cyril asked for survival tips, the witch took initiative to take leadership.

"The first step to survive is to figure out who we're traveling with. I need everyone to introduce themselves and what they can do to fight. We'll form a strategy from there."

By we, Calypso meant mostly herself.

It was a very strange feeling, and she knew that she wasn't the only one feeling that.
Then she looked at the other's faces. They were confused, maybe not as confused as her.

She just can't remember anything, even her own personality and name. She thinks that her name is Liss, becouse of the pendant she has, but don't even know how old she is, or what she like to do.

Then, one of the silhouettes next to her walked a bit, and then asked something she couldn't hear. Perhaps it was talking in another language, perhaps she can't understand that language. Perhaps she can't even talk, or maybe she was deaf.

Another of the silhouettes started to talk. She knew it becouse it was moving it's mouth. It may be weird, but Liss could read what the silhouette was saying, by looking at it's mouth.
It was saying that they have to introduce themselves and what they can do to fight.

"I-I'm Liss... yeah, that's all I can remember of me, maybe I have amnesia. But I guess I can use a sword... it's not too difficult, right?"

Teala quickly shook off the dizziness he'd originally felt when he first found his feet. Weak prey was the first to fall. He scanned the other figures, careful to keep his face as neutral as possible. They all showed weakness - the type that was normally followed by a swift stroke of his spear. His gaze wandered to the tower in the distance, and felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Something dangerous was in there, and it was lying in wait. He looked back at the other people at the base of the tower, this time looking for their strengths. The woman who asked for names was good at hiding her intentions, while the one called "Liss" was good at taking orders. The lone man who spoke up seemed to be able to take physical punishment - which would be MOST helpful.

"Name's Teala," he replied roughly. Rather than state his strength, he hit the ground with the butt of his spear.

It looks like today, I will be a part of a herd, one that will have to use what little strength it has to hide its glaring weaknesses.

The dizziness Aster had felt form the fog had seemed to be fading; using this opportunity wisely he looked around the bunch to see if they would be of use to him. One looked to use a fighting style that felt familiar to him be couldn't recall what it was. Before Aster could finish his evaluation the woman in robes ordered them to introduce themselves. Aster was insulted by how the witch thought she could be ordering him around but he stayed quiet while two other people introduced themselves.

Hmm, that one named Liss seems to be polite, but she didn't answer the entire question. Is she trying to hide something? And that spear man seems to trust in his own power to an arrogant degree. But, that witch seems to be the most suspicious. She's definitely planning something.

Aster walked up to Calypso, "Isn't proper for someone to state their own name before asking one of another?" he asked in his usual commanding voice. "But even if you did I wouldn't state mine back. You see, I have no reason to trust you. You are taking leadership, which is needed for a group of misfits to survive, but what makes you capable of being the leader? In fact, your immediate action makes me suspect you of wanting our trust so you can exploit it for later."

Now, what move will you make next, witch?

Edited by Cero

Phaedrus awoken after passing out from the fog. His mind was blank and recollection on where he was, was slow. Time felt slower giving him an unnerve feeling, but it did not get to him as he began to analyze the tower. A voice echoes from the fog. He decides to eavesdrop as he listens to other people in the area and not approach them. Phaedrus views a map and looks at the tower. A sense of danger is brought upon to his mind. But the situation is not as bad as it appears to be as only one of them appear to be capable of doing harm to him. He lurks and stalks the group simply to determine whether he can trust them or not, so he can fulfill his personal needs.

Edited by Zephyr

Calypso listened as some of the others replied back. Liss seemed like a nice enough child(?) but her skill in swordplay seemed questionable at best. Time would tell if she could pull her weight. The amnesia comment would have been worrisome, had the witch not felt the same sensation. The last thing she could remember was walking out of the fog. Sure, Calypso could whip out a spell at a moment's notice, but where did she learn to do that? It must have been a side effect of this place. None of the others were trusting enough to reveal such details; neither was Calypso.

Teala let his strength speak for him. That was all Calypso needed to know. Such strength would prove useful in whatever trials awaited them.

Then there was the one who was quick to speak against her. Not only would he not give his name, he questioned her leadership. Calypso raised an eyebrow as Aster took issue with her "immediate action".

"Proper? What do you think this is? A tea party? If we are to believe this mystic, we just walked into Hell itself. We could be ambushed at any moment. So yes, I think taking a moment to learn names and strategize should be done 'immediately'. If everyone agrees with me, I guess that makes me the leader. But if it is a name you want..."

Aster desired that she introduce herself first. Fair enough. Calypso took a moment to address the others.

"I am Calypso, a practitioner of dark magic. The same magic that would call these halls home. I know it better than anyone here. You'll need that knowledge to get past whatever is waiting for us. I seek to get to the top of this tower in one piece. Those who seek the same, let us form a strategy. Those who don't, then take your chances going back into the mist."

" Calypso? What a dumb name." Cyril said because of course he had to be an ass about everything. "Who put you on charge? I aint taking orders from you or anybody. Doesnt matter where I come from all im after is treasure so keep up if you can," He said as he advandced through the tower.

After the woman in robes, apparently named Calypso, finished her introduction, Liss dedicated to look arround.
There was nothing that can make her remember who she is.
She just said that she can use swords, and that was right. She just feel capable of using a sword, weird but probably a mising part of her memory.

She looked at the ornaments in the walls.

They were figures holding false weapons, made of stone.

As the others weren't looking at her, she walked arround the room. Then, she noticed one diference between two of the figures they were holding false swords.
One of the swords was real, and it was just placed in the hands of the figure.
She thought for a bit that she may be someone curious.

Without hesitation, she took the sword of the hands of the figure.

Aster scoffed at Calypso's scorn to being proper. "While this isn't exactly an ideal situation, it is best that we maintain ourselves in the worst situations and stay civilized. Being proper with other people can get you far." He said to Calypso, but after saying that Aster let gave a smirk and continued, "I agree though, our cooperation is imperative for our survival. Nice move." Aster turned his back towards and started walking away when he said, "I'm Aster by the way. I'm a knight so I can take a couple hits." So she's actually a witch huh? Interesting.

Liss obtained Bastard Sword! (Type: Physical Mt: 11 + (0.5 Str + 0.5 Skl) Hit: 80 Crit: 0 Wt: 8) (Reach: Above Average, Durability: Average)

(Just this time, since you're the first to do something other than talk, and we're at intro. Be careful, because next time it might be a trap, or worse.)

(The Mystic)

"Ah, treasure?" I address the Atoner, Cyril. "Yes, there is indeed treasure in the Tower. Whatever treasure of your heart that you desire, it will be there. It is why you answered the Tower's summons, is it not?" I look ahead into the distance. "Though quiet and desolate it may be, this was once the grounds of humanity's greatest civilization. What became of it, you will soon find out. But remnants of that civilization, you will undoubtedly encounter. Should they welcome you, however? I would not place my life on that bet." I look ahead to Liss. "The Dancer has the right idea. For no treasures await you in this voided land. Only ahead, through the fog, will you acquire what it is you seek. But be warned, for the masters of Essence will not part with them willingly."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(???)

A sound. Unease. The grounds of our palace have been defiled. By ones who reek of desire, and greed. And so, we take up our arms, and allow our bodies leave of the ground. How long has it been since we had last walked? We do not know. But it is our sacred duty to protect the grounds of our King, and so we will, through eternity and thereafter, should there be the call.

So we tread, towards the Great Hall. To destroy the ones who desecrate our resting place.

Edited by Cancer Lancer

Calypso watched as Cyril dismissed and walked further into the room. No skin off her back if he went through the tower alone. His body would make an excellent early warning for the rest of them.

It seemed her intro and speech had won over the knight Aster. At last, another ally in her quest for dominion over this place. The witch followed Aster as she continued the conversation.

"Forgive for not being a lady of the court," she said with her own smirk. "But a knight, eh? I can launch attacks from a distance, so it would benefit the both of us if I stayed behind you, yes?"

As they walked, Calypso took notice of Cyril harassing Liss for her newfound sword.

"Already gave up finding your own treasure I see," Calypso delivered a stinging remark to Cyril. "There are more floors than this. You know that, right?"

Wick, who had been well behind the others, preferring no one suspected him of being with them. But who would there be to suspect? For as far as he knew no one was alive, that he and the people in front of him were the only ones still breathing. Yes, they were alone. Although he could not be certain of this, for he retained very little knowledge of his life before now. He does, however, know why. He'd finally fully renounced his old life...changing his name wasn't good enough, so he renounced his memory as well. As he walked he just listened to the sounds of nature, or the lack there of so beautiful. When he entered the tower, he noticed one of the 6 was hassling another, why? Why steal from an ally? It did not make sense, it was completely illogical. Wick walked closer, still ignoring the unintelligible gibberish escaping the people's mouths, and drew his sword up until the blade was snug against the thug's neck.

"RELEASE HER..." Wick stated, using his best knowledge of their crude language, glaring at him from under his helm.

Teala weighed the consequences of silencing the one called Cyril for the sake of everyone else. A troublemaker was of no boon to a herd. Aster looked like he'd be reliable enough, as would the one who stopped Cyril. One more sulked in the shadows, unwilling to speak - he could also be trouble. Liss had taken a sword. It benefited her, but at what cost? Though Calypso tried to play the leader, she didn't seem to sense the subtle shift in the air.

"Enough bickering. Something has been disturbed."

Overhearing everyone else, Phaedrus continued stalking then analyzed Teala has sensed his presence. Knowing his life would be more endanger if Teala felt his life was on the line. He comes cleanly towards the group. "I am Phaedrus, I assure you I am a mere scholar." He analyzes Cyril closely before the group has a chance to question him.

"Why this is the perfect moment to address. Your friend appears to be endangering others with his rather loud voice lowering the IQ of everyone here. As I can tell from that face shape and goatee, this man could possibly be a convict."

Edited by Zephyr

When Cyril revealed himself as a healer, Calypso called bullcrud. Even if he had healing powers, he didn't seem like the type to use them without some form of payment. They may as well not have a healer at all.

All of this would have been said had Teala not warned of something coming. That was when the sulking mage revealed his own name, but that's not what concerned the witch.

"I don't think he's talking about you," Calypso said to Phaedrus. "Draw your weapons. We won't be alone for long..."

In preparation, Calypso started flipping through her tome for a few choice spells in anticipation of an attack.

(The Mystic)

As the 7 are now all past the gate, the gate slowly pries closed, effectively sealing the warriors from the outside world. Well, whatever was left of that desolate void, anyhow. But it wouldn't be the last time I saw them, nay. For the Tower had duties yet for me to fulfill. And so, I pray outside the gates for their success, and for my own freedom. If the road to hell is paved with good intention... What of the path to heaven?

So it is that now, I can only hope for their well being, for I can do naught to cease their incoming anguish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(???)

The one ahead of me fidgets the handle of the door, as if he had forgotten how to operate the contraption. Lest we be aggravated at his incompetence, it would be hypocrisy as to the little ability to function that we have left. But it was enough. And so, the door pries open, in unison with 3 others connecting the Entrance Hall. All of which were full of others like us.

2PBw9EJ.png

Those who forgot ourselves, but remembered our duties.

And so, a comrade behind me dashes forward, his two hands tight on his greatsword. Though he exuded little bloodlust, there was nothing driving him but the intent to kill. And so he acted; amidst the intruders stood one in particular who was fidgetting to get her things together. Another two quarreling over the possession of a sword. And a man who threatened the he who appeared the aggravator. So, my companion makes first strike on the one who was getting her things together. Soon, she would be much more of a threat, so the first strike was necessary.

He leaped at the girl, but her response was fast and impulsive. In the air, with a ring of the her cursed chime she threw a dark orb at my companion. He was struck mid air, but the impact was not enough to sway his course. He had landed a deep vertical strike on the girl; a cut that ripped a tremendous wound from her shoulder down. He had enough initiative to go for another strike, but she was not finished; she responded with another cast of the same heretical spell, and with it took my companions' life, if it could even be called that, away.

Inhuman Guard

What was once a proud guard of the great tower is now but an inhuman husk of his former self.

Level 8 HP: 0 / 37 EP: 16 / 29 Str: 14 Mnd: 2 Skl: 12 Ini: 10 Adp: 5 End: 9 Wil: 4 (- 5)

Equipment:

Bastard Sword (Type: Physical Mt: 11 + (0.5 Str + 0.5 Skl) Hit: 80 Crit: 0 Wt: 8) (Reach: Above Average, Durability: Average)

Atk: 24 Hit: 104 Crit: 6

Def: 6 Res: 3 Avo: 10

AS: 10 Agi: 5

Dead.

Calypso

A twisted soul seeking the power of Demons. Without fear of death, and the will to overcome and master the ceaseless darkness, the Corrupter will stop at nothing to gain the power that is beyond human imagination.

Stats: Level 11

HP: 17 / 37 EP: 28 / 54 Str: 6 Mnd: 13 Skl: 10 Ini: 14 Adp: 4 End: 5 Wil: 13

Equipment:

Cursed Chime (Type: Catalyst Mt: 6 + (1.25 lowest Mnd/Wil) Hit: 85 Crit: 0 Wt: 4)

Witch Robes (Def: 2 + (0.5 end) Res: 5 + (0.75 lowest Mnd/Wil) Wt: 2 Bonus: + 1 Atk if equipped with Catalyst)

Overall:

Atk: 23 Hit: 105 Crit: 5

Def: 4 Res: 14 Avo: 8

AS: 14 Agi: 4

The falling of our comrade instilled a switch upon us. Was it anger? Was it madness? Or simply a desire to kill? We have forgotten. But in that moment, we began running towards our adversaries, 11 of us remaining with myself included, in what harmony we could still maintain in our current states. Some of us had halberds. Others wielded greatswords. And a few such as I, a spear and shield.

Inhuman Guard x 3

What was once a proud guard of the great tower is now but an inhuman husk of his former self.

Level 8 HP: 37 / 37 EP: 29 / 29 Str: 14 Mnd: 2 Skl: 12 Ini: 10 Adp: 5 End: 9 Wil: 4

Equipment:

Bastard Sword (Type: Physical Mt: 11 + (0.5 Str + 0.5 Skl) Hit: 80 Crit: 0 Wt: 8) (Reach: Above Average, Durability: Average)

Decayed Guard Set (Def: 2 + (0.5 End) Res: 1 + (0.5 Wil) Wt: 2)

Overall:

Atk: 24 Hit: 104 Crit: 6

Inhuman Guard x 4

Level 8 HP: 37 / 37 EP: 29 / 29 Str: 14 Mnd: 2 Skl: 12 Ini: 10 Adp: 5 End: 9 Wil: 4

Equipment:

Halberd (Type: Physical Mt: 13 + (0.25 Str + 0.75 Skl) Hit: 70 Crit: 0 Wt: 10) (Reach: Long, Durabiliy: Above average)

Overall:

Atk: 26 Hit: 94 Crit: 6

Inhuman Guard x 4

Equipment:

Light Spear (Type: Physical Mt: 8 + (1.0 Skl) Hit: 85 Crit: 5 Wt: 5) (Reach: Long, Durability: Low)

Eroded Shield (Avoid: + 5 Adp: +1 Wt: 1)

Overall:

Atk: 20 Hit: 109 Crit: 11

Def: 6 Res: 3 Avo: 17

AS: 10 Agi: 6

Edited by Cancer Lancer

Aster had expected the group to be ambushed at some point. Teala's actions confirmed that some threat was coming, though he had not been prepared for the enemy to get the initiative. "Look alive! Calypso, get behind me!" Aster yelled as he readied his mace and shield. There looks to be a few of them. They don't seem to be that smart or strong either. They're nothing compared to my shield! "HRUAAAAAAAGH!" Aster yelled as he charged at one of the monsters, ramming his shield straight into him. Immediately, Aster readied his mace and slammed it downward across the guard's helm slamming into the floor.

The guy called Cyril walked to Liss, then he said something like he wanted the sword Liss reciently found.

Both were harassing for keep the sword for themselves. But all of a suden, one of the another 5 remainings drew his sword and forced Cyril to release her.
Now the guy was a few steps away, so Liss could made a reverence for her saivor. She
sheathed her new sword.

Then, as she could saw, the doors sudendly closed, and something attacked Calypso.

Liss get scared, there were twelve silhouettes ambushing them... eleven now that Calypso killed one.

Instinctively, she drew her new sword and held it with both hands, shivering, and pointing to the enemys for defend herself.

Obviously, Liss wanted to stay in the back line of the battle.

Cyril drew his broadsword and held it it two hands ready for battle. He moved out of range of any nearby attackers then walked to the corrupter. " Will you fight for me or owe me a debt if I heal you?" He asked while preparing his ring for healing.

Edited by Shamison

Wick did not want to see anyone get hurt, or harassed for that matter. Why? He's not the kind of person to do that...is he? As far as he knows. He had forgotten so much, how could it get out now? No matter, he sheathed his sword when the harasser left and yet. He was at unease, restless even after the days they'd been walking. Or was it weeks? Months? Years? Centuries? millennia...Were they even still alive? Did it matter? Wick had to force these thoughts back, and turned his attention to the door. It had opened. He watched how one of them dispatched of her attacker, and how another protected her with his shield. He then saw as the girl he had protected shook as she held her sword, he felt bad for her...

"Git bihaind mi." he said to her, struggling with every one of the strange syllables, as he put his hand on the hilt of his blade. "Stei klos."

He made his way forth, Liss close in tow. When they got to the first of their enemies that they encountered, Wick immediately attacked, slashing the enemy as he unsheathed his blade.

"Nai u!" He shouted back to Liss, signalling her to attack as well.

Liss carefully read Wick's mouth to realise what was he saying.
He want her to stay behind of him.

The door opened, and the enemies started to attack the whole group.
Wick attacked one of them. Liss was sure that he said something to her after slashing the enemy with his blade, but as they were back to back, she couldn't read his mouth.

Afther Wick slached the enemy, that thing was now going for Liss.
She quickly jumped arround like following some kind of rhythm, like dancing, trying to distract the enemy.
Then she rapidly attacked, and with that the enemy sure was defeated.