Hello everyone! :D This is my first post on this forum and I hope to get to know the community soon. Thought I'd show off some of my recent works for my very own Fire Emblem game. They are based off friends in real life that will be in my game. Most of them are just recolors of existing mugshots with small tweaks. Some are spliced up, some are quite custom! Just depends on how many requests the person had for their character. Anyway, I'll probably post all of my work on this one thread so I'll keep it coming. :) Enjoy everyone and I'm glad to be on the forum!

-Joshua-

joshua10.png

-Ben-

benmug10.png

-Joseph-

anothe11.png

-Chet-

chetmu10.png

-Kayla-

kaylam10.png

-Girlfriend (Wendy)-

wendym10.png

-Me (James)-

james13.png

jamesa10.gif

Cool idea, is it a rom hack or not?

You will get nitpicks from the more advanced spriters here...fair warning. But they can tell you how to make them better more than I can. I can tell these can use some work with color choices and shading, but...yeah. I'm really not good at explaining it.

recolors of existing mugs aren't the best way to make a character, just saying.

try splicing simple stuff but watch out the colors(pick either FE7 or FE8, do not mix) and the shading. you'll learn more as you try more.

i'd appreciate your effort though(tbh i'm not really sure how long you've been spriting but i'm assuming not very long, hope i'm not being judgemental at this. also hi)

You will get nitpicks from the more advanced spriters here...fair warning. But they can tell you how to make them better more than I can. I can tell these can use some work with color choices and shading, but...yeah. I'm really not good at explaining it.

excuse you, "nitpicks"? ò_O I wouldn't call crit "nitpicking" at all. We actually take our time giving advice on how to underp stuff, then it's up to you entirely if you want it to look good or not. It's not like we enjoy pointing out pointless stuff, if we bother it's actually because we kinda like a design and we'd like to see it improved, or just to point out to the artist that something is reeeeally reeeeeally derp (especially when it's easier for the others to see the flaws in your own sprites).

but whatevs, I myself started with splices with lots and lots of issue but improved in these 3 years of spriting cause i was really open to crits... and Yeah spriting takes a lot of time to learn.

Also for your sprites, since they are mostly recolours atm I would say don't mix the fe8 and fe7 colours... they both have different saturation and outline, so try to stick with one or they clash. I'm mostly talking about 2, 3 and the last one

Yeah actually I've been spriting for about a week now. So I'd consider this pretty good for only a few days in. I don't make these characters based off what I want, it's based off a real person who gives me specifics that they would like to see. The less specific that someone is, the less work I do because if you don't care what your character looks like then I don't either haha. I'm using GIMP and yes I am very amateur at all of this. I'm a scripted and a modder and the only other time I've ever worked with Pixels was back in the day on Animal Crossing GC/New Leaf/Wild World. And that was nothing more than badass clothing designs and such. So yes help is much appreciated. You can be as critical as you want it doesn't bother me haha, what really matters is how happy I am with my work and one negative comment cant change that but only drive me to create more appealing characters.

This is not a ROM hack, i'm currently using FEXP to make my project which still has lots and lots of work to do. I'm also a newb at GIMP as I've only been using it as long as I've started spriting which is about a weeek. xD.. But I'm not sure how someone can insult the shading just because it's the original shading of the character and kept at the same brightness. But anywayyyyy, help is much appreciated! Toss me some techniques or things I can try out. I'd like to start making freehand sprites but that intimidates me a bit as of now. Thaaanks. :)

Edit - Oh and the colors are not picked by me but the owner of the character so I'm slightly limited in that department.

Edited by Jameson

full customs are pretty hard to make. not only the shading, you have to know how anatomy works too so they didn't look wonky. you can use the official mugs as reference but still have to watch out the anatomy.

like i said above, try splicing some simple things and watch out the colors as well as the shading. you can throw some customization in it as long as they didn't look glaring. eventually you'll advance further and get comfortable with splicing, then you may advance into custom mugs.

One thing I'm really really struggling with is making a sprite sheet into a GIF, just for my own purposes. I've tried making it via GIMP like pasting each frame as a new layer but I can't center it for all 20 some frames so it comes out all shaky and weird. :( Hopefully I'll craft some more mugs today, girls are so much more difficult than guys it seems. I also just realized recently too while designing a tattoo for one of my characters that I can just take any icon and scale it down and throw it on, are there any like clothing/armor/accessory resources available to me? Specifically for FE or you know whatever works.

What do you mean by 'they chose the colors'? Did they say 'red', or hand you a palette? If they just handed a palette, Kayla's the only one who did well.

One thing I'm really really struggling with is making a sprite sheet into a GIF, just for my own purposes. I've tried making it via GIMP like pasting each frame as a new layer but I can't center it for all 20 some frames so it comes out all shaky and weird.

Find and make an anchor point across the frames, and then use that to reference where the relative placement of things in each frame. Other than that it's just a matter of practice.

I also just realized recently too while designing a tattoo for one of my characters that I can just take any icon and scale it down and throw it on, are there any like clothing/armor/accessory resources available to me? Specifically for FE or you know whatever works.

No.

Nooooooooo!

Rescaling will leave a lot of messy compression and possibly additional colors, and is generally a no-no in pixel art unless you're very well aware of what you're doing and how you'll clean it up.

As far as the splice resources, there's a sprite sheet of all the official characters of FE6/7/8. It should be more than enough for you to get started.