Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U Tournament Hub (Please see post #1644)

Ema Skye

You'll have to take this through the approval process. Please PM me with more information about your tournament (total player count, dates, version, and more info about the crew battle style).

Fair enough. I'll get it to you asap.

Update: PM has been sent

Edited by Craptain Falchion

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah, its tournament time. Sorry guy above, but I had this requested since November. Doof, please link to this in the OP so players and I can easily refer to this post since it will be updated frequently. Deadline to sign-up is 1/3/2015. By that date if there are less than 8 participants, the tourney will be cancelled. I will be verifying entrants that I do not know, so keep a watch on this page. If you are using an alias on Challonge, clarify that. Please do not sign up if you think you might have to drop out in the middle, that messes a whole lot of stuff up. Link to sign-up is here:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/OboLnAmqFY

SSB4 Wii U Swiss Tourney

What I'm doing is very similar to what I did for the 3DS Swiss, but there are a few differences:

• Obviously, this is gonna happen of the Wii U instead of the 3DS.
  • We will now be doing 3 stocks instead of 2 stocks. Without vectoring, stocks get lost more quickly, so your average match time is about the same. Time limit per match is 8 minutes.
  • Number of Swiss rounds is dependent on number of entrants. If there are between 8 to 11 entrants, there will be 3 rounds. If there are 12 or more entrants, we will do 4 rounds. 4 Rounds is the max. The reason for this is because when there is a small amount of entrants, it becomes very obvious by the 2nd or 3rd round who is going to rank top.
  • Number of people in top cut is also dependent on number of entrants. If there are between 8 to 11 participants, top cut will just be a battle between 1st and 2nd. Between 12 to 17 participants will be a top cut of 1st to 4th place. 18 to 23 participants means top cut will be between 1st and 6th place (1st and 2nd place gets seeded). 24 or more means we're doing a top cut of 8. 8 entrants is max for top cut.
  • I did update this in the middle of the tourney last time, but you do not need to update me of your round's match status. That doesn't mean you can laze back and do nothing until the last minute. I will harass you if I notice you haven't done anything in a while. As always, inform me of scheduling disputes if your opponent is never available, etc..

So here are the rules. Spoilered cause wall of text.

Each match (including top cut) will be 3 stocks, 8 minutes, first to 3 wins. In case of time out, person with lower % wins. Scores do count since each one gets added to your Swiss points. So losing 3-2 still adds two points for the loser. Getting 3-0 gets no points for loser. The winner of a round always gets 3 points. Though the winner should try to 3-0 because it helps them in overall rankings. Max points for any participant is 9 for 3 round or 12 for 4 rounds. There are 3-4 rounds of Swiss (see above for criteria on number of rounds), each round being open for 2-3 days. After the final round ends, top cut round begins. The number of people in top cut depends on the number of total entrants (more participants, bigger top cut!), but is 2 people at minimum.

Don't sweat the complicated shit though, just know that winning=good. Losing by 3-2 is much better than losing 3-0. Overall rankings will be posted at the end of the last round. Rankings also factor in opponent strength. If you lose to the guy who lost against everyone else, but you end up winning every other round, it still hurts your overall ranking a lot. If you lost against someone who ends up doing very well overall, but you kick ass in most rounds after you could still make top cut. Technical wins (other player forfeits/is inactive) will get the winner an automatic 3-0., but does not factor into their win %.
Previewing rounds:
By allowing preview rounds, I'm allowing you to see who you're playing the next round. So for example when round 1 starts, you can also see who your round 2 opponent is. You can even play your match early if you want. This is only possible in a Swiss tournament as all rounds that aren't top cut will be random pairings. So you basically have 4-6 days to play your rounds instead of 2. You can only preview 1 round ahead though to keep the suspense going! When the tournament first starts, you will be able to see pairings for round 1 and 2.
Holding matches:
Through a mutual agreement (Gentlemen's clause), two opponents may decide to "hold" off on a match even past the round's deadline without penalty. Be careful about "holding" too many matches though since Swiss rounds must end when the last round ends. Any "held" matches that haven't taken place by then will get both competitors 0-0. There's also no guarantee that you will be able to hold your match since your opponent could easily say "I was available, you were not, so screw you I'm taking the win".
Rankings:

First off, points are the most important thing when it comes to rankings. As you know, points are equal to the number of games (not rounds) you won. Someone with 10 points will always rank higher than someone with 9. However, it is completely possible (as in, it will happen) that two participants have the same number of points. Who ranks higher then? At that point, two factors come into play; your win percentage and your opponents' win percentage. Your win percentage is simply:

(number of games won ÷ number of games played)

Your opponents' win percentage is:

(win percentage of all opponents combined ÷ number of opponents)

Technical wins do not count as anything (as in doesn't get added to games won or played). They neither help or hurt. Does however cause your other games to weigh more on your percentages.

These two percentages add together to help determine your ranking. What does this mean? You better try to win all your matches because allowing even 1 win for your opponents hurts your win percentage. Though this somewhat balances out because if you played someone good and your score was close, it is likely your opponent will do well against other players and raise your opponents' win percentage.

Top cut:

Top cut will begin as soon as Swiss rounds end. Top cut is a finals bracket of sorts, it is almost completely independent from Swiss rounds, the only things that will matter are your rankings in Swiss. Unlike Swiss, pairings are not random and will pair lowest rank with highest rank. If top cut was 8 people, 1st would play 8th, 2nd would play 7th, 3rd would play 6th, and so on.

Custom moves allowed, custom equipment no. No items allowed dummy (including Final Smashes).
Stage list (negotiable):

Battlefield

Final Destination (any version)
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
SkyLoft

Kongo Jungle 64
WuHu Island

Duck Hunt

Schedule:
Schedule for specific rounds is TBA until I get a better idea of entrant number, so this will probably be updated closer to sign-up deadline. Just be sure to have decent availability between 1/4/2015 and 1/15/2015. I will do my best to make sure it doesn't pass 1/15/2015.
Brackets:
Will be updated when sign-ups end.
Prize:
Yes, there will be an actual prize this time for someone, assuming I don't win of course :). Only for 1st place.
You will be able to purchase select Nintendo eShop games for either 3DS or Wii U. You can purchase up $20 worth of games (before taxes, I take care of that), so whether you want that $18 Nintendo Rumble U or Earthbound + Metroid, you can have it. How do you receive your prize? Well I actually buy a download code(s) and PM that to you, easy as pie. If you want to be nice and donate a game to someone else, I don't mind.
See this page for example of games you can get: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/eshop
Don't think you can win? Play anyway for the experience and to see how you rank among your fellow SFers.
Edited by Knife

Yeah, well that's OK with me. Just want to see how much interest this would generate. Or maybe tournaments really are dead since Raven's never finished.

As long as we get 8 people, this tournament will happen.

Edited by Knife

I think people got busy with the holiday season, had school finals to do, and other stuff. But I thought the tourney scene would be back now since the holidays are over and school people should be on break. :(

...It doesn't happen to be my fault, does it?

Doubtful. While I expected it to last a bit longer than it did, I'm not surprised it died out like this. We're not a Smash-dedicated forum and the majority of us are casual players. It was fun for a while when the game was released and hype was high, but people just moved on.

i'm going to get fucking wrecked but i put my name down anyway

i'm way too rusty to make any sort of impact

My English brother. Don't put yourself down like that. I remember the days when we went head to head in Brawl. Your Pikachu was at least Overused tier powerful. Let me know if you want some EV training.

Also, when did you join Febro? You got a Wii U? Why haven't we played yet?

Looks like SF's Smash 4 competitive scene is more or less dead and gone.

Not that it matters; there's still the Skype chat where there's almost always someone available for a few rounds.

Host 8 player tourneys, round robin style

Those will more than likely get filled, and each player gets a minimum 7 matches. Quite fulfilling for smaller sizes!

Nope, that sounds bad. By the 3rd match, it becomes very clear who our winners will be, causing people to not do their remaining 4 matches. Some will stay because they are committed which is good, but others will be like why the fuck should I keep playing, I'm not gonna win. From there on brackets get screwed up yadayadayada.

Alright after a long break from this (Mainly cause I was doing Tourneys IRL for Project M) I signed up for this Swiss one. I've gotten so much better at this game since it came out on 3DS and a Gamecube controller helps a ton on Wii U.

EDIT: Seems like the deadline passed for sign up but i'll see if i can get 2 people for the last slots

Edited by Zukonima