Text Noise

Master Awesome

Hey y'all. I got a random question, mainly 'cause I'm curious, but is there anyway to change/edit the sound that text makes when scrolling? I'm assuming it's either not possible or very complicated to actually apply the change, if any. It's areas like these in hacking where I am completely ignorant, or maybe it's actually real simple and I'm even more of an idiot.

Any info or comments would be appreciated.

Find it's location in the song table and have it point to the sound you want to use

Find the song ID, multiply it by 8 and add that to the offset of the table to find the right pointer

You could also find the routine that loads that sound ID and change it directly but that's more trouble than it's worth

Edited by Brendor

Oh, that's easy enough. Thanks.

*Ahem* So what about the possibility/challenge of pointing multiple (different) sounds for text? I have a feeling this would be extremely hard/impossible to do, since you'd have to screw with the loading routine and stuff. Also not sure if you'd be able to specify certain sounds for certain text.

I don't know, just some random, far fetched ideas I had...

Didn't Carlos/Carlito/Carl/whoever Ryru is figure out a way to upload and play voice samples anyway? Like never mind the text noise just get rid of text altogether

Edited by Aleph

Didn't Carlos/Carlito/Carl/whoever Ryru is figure out a way to upload and play voice samples anyway? Like never mind the text noise just get rid of text altogether

Isn't that just inserting and using wav files as sfx?

I think the whole idea behind that was to do something similar to awakening ie use va every once in a while not to completely replace the text. I mean if you replace all the text that'd take up a lot of space. Granted at that point you could just replace text data with sounds but still then what are you going to do about non specific things like tact name and gold amounts. I guess you could do a hybrid but not a full on "replace all the text with va"

I think the whole idea behind that was to do something similar to awakening ie use va every once in a while not to completely replace the text. I mean if you replace all the text that'd take up a lot of space. Granted at that point you could just replace text data with sounds but still then what are you going to do about non specific things like tact name and gold amounts. I guess you could do a hybrid but not a full on "replace all the text with va"

That would seem like the best thing to do. You'd have a lot of options using va for specific text or quotes, just like you mentioned how Awakening did it. But yeah, it would be impossible to incorporate that to non specific values. I obviously can't/won't do it, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Okay but you'd need to find a way to play sfx without finishing the text or else you'd have to use one slot per sfx which will add up if you do a lot of va and also arena gold amounts(shop amounts you could do since you know the amounts that will be displayed. Maybe have a class Alex? ;)

I thought the point was to have entire text entries dubbed when any voice acting was involved, but yeah if you just want someone to grunt here and there then your SFX command idea has a lot more use (this is all completely disregarding the 32 megabyte limit of the ROM though).