FE games for a newcomer

FE7, or the one without a subtitle for the GBA is a great choice for a newbie. Also, Sacred Stones for GBA. Path of radiance for the gamecube. The ds games are pretty newb friendly as well. But the ds games suck compared to FE3 IMO, which is the game that the ds games were remakes of. If you ever become a fanatic for this series, skip the ds games and just play fe3 instead of them. Imo of course.

My main gripe about 9 (besides Ike the lord of shit) is the support system, I hate having to wait for Chapter 24 for A rank and the reletive lacking of bonuses when Earth is not involved.

That and it's kinda boring story isn't backed up by stellar map design.

Overall, it's got a pretty generic feel to it, and although 6 does too, 6 at least is a fun challenge in terms of map design.

And you're still like, the only person saying this. Not everyone here likes Ike, but you're the only person I've seen saying that they hate him and think he's shit. And you're the only person I've seen that says the story is bad and the support system is bad. Everyone else seems to praise it.

But I know how you feel, as I'm the only person that hates Lucina, I think.

I wouldn't listen to Glaceon Princess, PsychicFlamingo, for the reasons I stated above. Not that I don't respect her opinion or anything, she's just a very small minority here. I mean, I'm one of the few that doesn't like FE7 much and I still recommended it because I know the majority of the forum likes it and because it's easier to get than PoR or RD. Or maybe even Sacred Stones.

FE7, or the one without a subtitle for the GBA is a great choice for a newbie. Also, Sacred Stones for GBA. Path of radiance for the gamecube. The ds games are pretty newb friendly as well. But the ds games suck compared to FE3 IMO, which is the game that the ds games were remakes of. If you ever become a fanatic for this series, skip the ds games and just play fe3 instead of them. Imo of course.

New Mystery is fucking amazing are you high?

Not too sure, but whatever you do don't play FE5: Thracia 776. Chapter 1 is so hard you'll have to use your Jagen to weaken the boss.

... Isn't this every Fire Emblem ever?

As a last tidbit of advice, don't let your opinion be formed by any vocal groups or individuals. The community can almost never draw a consensus on any given game and opinions range drastically. You're better off playing the games yourself and drawing conclusions afterwards.

On a forum filled with people with some sort of extensive experience with the Fire Emblem series, one would think that when everyone in the thread is listing the same 3 games it would mean something.

On a forum filled with people with some sort of extensive experience with the Fire Emblem series, one would think that when everyone in the thread is listing the same 3 games it would mean something.

True, but I was referring to the additional comments about the quality of certain titles like FE9 or the DS ones. I think the question of the topic itself was answered quite well, but these particular remarks were made simply out of personal opinions and I wanted to note that one shouldn't draw conclusions about those games just because of these remarks.

Edited by Topazd255

True, but I was referring to the additional comments about the quality of certain titles like FE9 or the DS ones. I think the question of the topic itself was answered quite well, but these particular remarks were made simply out of subjective opinions and I wanted to note that one shouldn't draw conclusions about those games just because of these remarks.

There is no such thing as an objective opinion...

There is no such thing as an objective opinion...

Haha, sorry about that. English isn't my first language, so I might add in unnecessary specifications at times.

Edited by Topazd255

• 2 weeks later...

Sacred Stones would be my vote for best game in the series for a casual to start off with. Its the easiest, has pretty much most of the mechanics

the series is known for, ability to grind, and a pretty light story compared to others. Awakening gets an honorable mention for similar reasons.

Edited by ViewtifulBo

Probably Sacred Stones b/c of grinding.

When you get comfortable with Fire emblem, you should find a patch for FE4. That game has one of the best story lines and game mechanics in the series. However, for inexperienced people, I wouldn't recommend it because of the 1RN system, compared to the 2RN system in Awakening.

Play Fire Emblem Dark Dragon and Sword of Light. Then go to Fire Emblem Gaiden. After that goes FE3, FE4, FE5, FE6, FE7, FE8, FE9, FE10, FE11, FE12. Once done, go back to Awakening and max out everyone's stats and give them every base and advanced skill. Buy all the DLC, beat Apothesis. Make sure to do Lunatic+ on classic. Oh, and don't forget to play BS Fire Emblem: Archanea Senki, this is kind of FE4.5, or the real FE5. Make sure to play the classics first, or you will never be able to truly experience why this series is so great. This is my plan for now.

Play FE7 first because the forced tutorial is fucking insufferable if you have any idea what you're doing.

... Which you already do, because you've beaten FE13, but still.

6 is like... FE concentrated (edit idk for sure if distilled means concentrated and shouldn't pretend to.) No plot, badly-translated dialogue, just a bunch of maps. They're good maps, but don't expect to get invested in much else. FE8 is, IMO, the best GBA FE, and both 9 and 10 are solid.

FE4 and 5 play very differently to the rest of the series. They're good, but honestly, they could arguably be considered spinoffs. FE1 is obsolete because of FE11, and FE3 is obsolete because of FE12. Both 11 and 12 are, incidentally, really good, though 11 doesn't have any characters or plot. 12 makes up for it. FE2 is good and cool if you can handle a painfully archaic interface/controls.

To make this a useful post, play 7, then 8. If you really unconditionally love FE, play 6. Then 9 and 10 because they're the best and you'd find it hard to go back to GBA mechanics, probably. Then 11 and 12 as the hangover to Tellius. Do at least give 4 and 5, and maybe 2, a whirl, but nobody will blame you if you're not a fan. Then play some ROMHacks.

lol the amount of hours i'm just casually mentioning in this post

Anyway yeah, play 7 first and play them in blocks, by console.

Edited by Parrhesia