Dragoncat's art thread: 5/20/15: Pokey mons(bug, dark, dragon)

Dragoncat

spyro_drawing_for_custom_phone_case_by_rspyro_phone_case_by_rubydragoncat-d8ozec

My phone is gonna kick butt...I was originally using some official art, but decided to go and draw it myself! It's flipped because the phone case designing site wouldn't accept it otherwise.

Anybody who knows me should recognize this character right away.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fe__roughhousing_couple_by_rubydragoncat

I asked for these two when I was offered a free sketch in the Valentine's fanfic contest, but never got it :( The person is a gallery mod on DA so she's probably pretty busy, but still, it irks me.

I tried and probably failed to give them justice. Used this as a base/reference. Boyd probably gives Rolf noogies, and now Cerai gets pinned down for one...this would be when they're dating or recently engaged, at a time when they're more likely to act like children than make them.

Edited by Dragoncat

I don't want to insult your piece there, but I think you draw animals better than people. xP

Although, the poses don't really look stiff or anything. Your only issue really is anatomy. Cerai keeps looking more like a man than a woman despite the breasts, for example. That's all though.

Hey, why don't you try tracing over the bases? I know it wouldn't be your original work, but it might help improve your skills anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

Whilst I can appreciate you've tried, DC, the results are a little lacking to be honest. It might be an idea to use some references, so you can get the anatomy down right. Try with easy static poses first and familiarise yourself with proportions. For example, Boyd's left arm is a couple inches longer than his right.

It's not to say you suck, but you would really benefit from some improvement with regards to your art. It's not always easy converting what's in your head to paper!

Hey, why don't you try tracing over the bases? I know it wouldn't be your original work, but it might help improve your skills anyway.

That's actually what I did when I was having trouble. The base was extremely sketchy without facial features and clothes...

That being said, I'm well aware I'm better at animals and that I need work. But it doesnt hurt to try, even if I fail epicly.

Well, that's true. I mean, even I was having some trouble when going over the reference Samias gave me when I was working my art of Eliot. So I can understand that. It takes practice, is all. I didn't become as good as I am in a day. :)

Some people do learn faster than others though. If you're one of those slower people, just think about what Cordelia says to Stahl in...I think it's their A support in Awakening. She says that it takes longer for people who aren't naturally talented to learn a new skill, and in the process, they pick up things that naturally talented people can easily miss. She's basically saying that slower learners have the potential to surpass the naturally talented folks in skill.

Well, that's true. I mean, even I was having some trouble when going over the reference Samias gave me when I was working my art of Eliot. So I can understand that. It takes practice, is all. I didn't become as good as I am in a day. :)

Some people do learn faster than others though. If you're one of those slower people, just think about what Cordelia says to Stahl in...I think it's their A support in Awakening. She says that it takes longer for people who aren't naturally talented to learn a new skill, and in the process, they pick up things that naturally talented people can easily miss. She's basically saying that slower learners have the potential to surpass the naturally talented folks in skill.

When I read that support I automatically thought of art and how my friend is and always has been a prodigy in it. Whereas me...yeah.

Well, then you've got the potential to surpass that friend! I myself learned my skills at a bit of a slow pace, and compared to this one artist I knew a long time ago, who was younger than me and drawing for about the same amount of time, I feel I have a better understanding of anatomy. She could do animals well enough, but her human bodies often seemed stiff and awkward-looking. My poses were stiff for awhile too, but I could draw arms, legs, and torsos better, that's for sure. Her arms and legs looked more like there was cardboard inside rather than bones.

I still envy her coloring skills though. ._.

After looking at the mashup thread in the creative board here, this happened. It's the songs for the risen skirmishes mashed up around the FE main theme. It starts with the non battle song with the battle song quiet in the background, then the battle song takes center stage when the FE main theme starts.

Might not be perfect, but it's not bad for like 5 or 10 minutes playing with audacity...

Edited by Dragoncat

Sounds nice, but I don't understand exactly what you did here? o.O

Combined the two songs, basically. Listen to them separately...it's hard to explain.

capture_by_rubydragoncat-d8pu5lv.png

Face practice! Jerec and Kelly have volunteered to be models...well, more like they were forced to xD I wanted to give some of the WoC cast that isn't canon or owned by me some love. Theodor will probably be next.

Have you considered purchasing how to draw books, and cribbing off of their styles for a while, until you have a base of things down?

It would probably help considerably.

Done that...actually used one here. I am well aware I'm not perfect, so please people, quit telling me things I already know.

Edited by Dragoncat

Done that...actually used one here.

Might want to crib harder (crib is a verb meaning to copy one's style)

I am well aware I'm not perfect, so please people, quit telling me things I already know.

Well, there's not much else to tell you until you get somewhere :<

Edited by I have opinions

capture_by_rubydragoncat-d8pu5lv.png

Face practice! Jerec and Kelly have volunteered to be models...well, more like they were forced to xD I wanted to give some of the WoC cast that isn't canon or owned by me some love. Theodor will probably be next.

Hey there, I've been peepin' at this here art thread and I can't help but notice that you seem to have a bit of trouble constructing faces. That is ok, faces are tricky things to draw! (I have been drawing seriously for about 8 years give or take and I am still not 100% super champ pro at it myself).

that being said, I have some pointers that would be good if you want them!

- I notice you said that you're using models. That is great, looking at real life is a very good way to learn! however, sometimes if you try to replicate the entire form it can get overwhelming and you can get lost in the details (which I think is what seems to be happening). I used to do the same thing, so don't worry too much. It's so much easier when you break down the faces into simple shapes.

I like to start with an egg: http://gyazo.com/315ba530c930f7ab5566a581aa3993ce

- note that said egg has been marked with some lines of delineation. these represent where the facial features should lie and help to place it into a 3D space. some cheat codes that I use to make sure nothing is screwy: eyes are roughly 1/2 way down the face, the ear alines with the bottom of the eye (roughly), eyes are 1 eyespace apart.

- after that, you can truncate the shape of the egg to look more face like. you can carve out some cheekbones, shape the jawline, etc. working with steps makes things easier to handle! once you got the shape of the face carved out of your egg and your placement of features done, you can more onto hair, accessories and other fine details.

* you can apply the egg principle to the body/ limbs too, using a stick figure with tubes/ wedges and other basic shapes packed onto it!

(http://gyazo.com/18482033c1d4c5f887c0953915b9eec4)

- For your contouring, have you considered going over your pencil lines with a fine-tiped pen before colouring? Sakura brand Microns, Prismacolours and Faber Castel pens are very good for this purpose. My favourite ones are the sakura ones but they are very pricy. If you don't have much money, very fine-tip sharpies can work for lining art (I used to use them for about 2 years) but the ink tends to bleed easily and the colour changes with age. Lining your artwork with a darker colour before colouring can make your art look nice and crisp and helps give the work more polish! There are ways of colouring directly onto sketches, but these are difficult to pull off so I suggest trying to practice inking techniques and getting those down pat before trying to be all fancy shmancy.

- Speaking of colours, I find that drawing a very light representation of your lightsource before colours really helps to pinpoint where the light will hit. (you can erase this when you are done!)

like this, and yes that is our huevo friend from before!: http://gyazo.com/6c22f4d7bbd7af47caf7e9df80ffe9c2

Edited by scolipede

Jerec looks pretty accurate alright, aside from his bangs. They're parted at the center. But if you simply forgot that, don't worry, we all forget things every now and then. :P

Kelly's eyes look kind of big and her neck is weird, but other than that, these pics are cute. lol

The big eyes are because bigger eyes = more feminine according to the book I used. And hair is a pain in the butt anyway...I'm guilty of not looking at his mug when I drew him and instead tried to work from my mental image. The part down the middle was never mentioned anywhere, so...maybe he can have a different hair style for the time being? Her neck...you got me. While struggling with the long hair I bet it got messed up.

While constructive criticism isnt a bad thing...I'd appreciate if tutorials weren't linked to here. To me it just feels like they're being shoved in my face because I suck, which I know isn't the intention, but I can find them myself.

While constructive criticism isnt a bad thing...I'd appreciate if tutorials weren't linked to here. To me it just feels like they're being shoved in my face because I suck, which I know isn't the intention, but I can find them myself.

those weren't tutorials, my boyfriend was just drawing examples to show what he meant in words :V

I get where you're coming from, Dcat, but using references someone draws for you is a really good thing to do. Samias's references that she made just for me really helped me a lot in learning more about dynamic posing and foreshortening, for example.

The Jerec reference no longer looks like Jerec, but it's good for just general referencing. If you didn't look at his sprite mug though, I can understand any inaccurate details you made. :P

Yeah, female eyes are usually bigger than male eyes, but not THAT big. lol Jerec's eyes could also be sized down a bit. But not by much.