Dragoncat's art thread: 5/20/15: Pokey mons(bug, dark, dragon)

Dragoncat

yeah, I was just using some examples to illustrate what I was talking about because I'm a visual person and have trouble using words to explain what I mean sometimes (blame my brain for thinking in English and French at the same time :P). I didn't mean for anything to come across as condescending/ make you think you're bad at art, I just wanted to share some pointers I wish I had gotten when I was starting out!

as for the peepers problem, like the person above me mentioned they can be shrunk a bit. Constructing the whole shape of the face and using construction lines first can help keep the proportions in check (trust me, I have the same problem with making eyeballs too big and planing things out like that helps a lot!)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, fair enough. I looked at the things you linked me to, and I do start with a circle and the cross in it, only...

24q4p3k.png

I start like that. I draw the circle, cross, then put the chin on. Where as you have the chin and the circle combined into one shape.

You got confused on the models. When I said that, I meant that those two OCs were the models. I didn't mean I actually used a live person. I was looking at a how to draw manga book and keeping the traits of the characters in mind.

When I ink, I use a common pen. Used really thin sharpies in the past but they always make it pretty dark.

I knew that the ears and the eyes are the same height. When you say eyes are halfway down the face, do you mean the top or bottom of them, give or take?

Apologies for completely blowing you off before reading it completely.

don't worry about it, it's cool!

I use the point of the "egg" shape to mark where the chin would be (before sculpting out the shape of the jaw), but I figure that adding a point onto a basic circle shape would do the same thing. You seem to have a pretty good base to work on going on right now!

Ah I see! Using other people's art is a good starting point (I started drawing by referencing how to draw books and the art of people I looked up to a lot when I was a wee tot), but it's also a good idea to try to use photographic references too. The risk with using drawings as references all the time is that you might accidentally learn the mistakes that whoever you're mimicking made and it can be a bit tricky to unlearn things that get too ingrained in your style.

The centre of the eye should be roughly around the centre of the face, so depending on the style/ features of the character you are drawing the top and bottom of the eye can deviate from that centre line (especially if you're drawing more cartoony/ anime styled artwork!) make sure to consider the other facial features to keep things from looking too wildly disproportionate! c:

Yeah, my simple shapes come out a bit messy at first too when I sketch. But I fix them up as I go. And if I go straight to Photoshop or Paint without sketching on paper first, I use the circle tool and other shape tools.

...Now that I think about it, I don't know why I don't do this for animals as well as people. o.O That must be why I've generally been better at people than animals (except for horses).

Edited by Anacybele

Most everything you draw starts with circles and shapes and lines...doesnt matter if it's a person, cat, dog, flying monkey or inanimate object. Unless you're super insanely talented...

I don't always do the cross on animal faces, but I make guidelines for the body. Like I'll make two big circles for the chest/hips and one smaller one for the head and go from there. I've been seriously drawing animals for longer myself. And DRAGONS.

Whenever you see blooper reel, you'll be reading stuff. Doesn't deserve a thread in the writing board, and it's non serious so it doesn't go in the WoC story thread.

Blooper reel 1 pretends that I put up an ask blog.

Question: Any of the pairs, do you have pet names for each other? In an alternate world that the author, Dragoncat, has access to, Avatar/MU Rene calls her husbando Lonky. So anything like that?

Cerai: *elbows Boyd* This stud gets called Fireball.

Leo: Really? I never hear you call him it. It’s either his actual name, or something like Dumbass.

Boyd: Well it is only at...certain times. Catch my drift?

Leo: ...Oh I get it. Please pass the brain bleach...

Cerai: Heh, sorry. You’ll have to tolerate us talking about it a bit longer though, because we actually put some thought into those pet names. I came up with Fireball randomly out of the blue, and he turned around and called me Thunderbolt. Took me a bit, but then I remembered our affinities. Fire and thunder!

Eloin: ...That’s actually kind of awesome and clever. Now we need some...hmm...

Leo: Oh gods...

Eloin: I got one! How about Hurricane?

Leo: For me or you? You do know twins share an affinity, right? That’s more of a wind thing.

Eloin: You, duh...

Cerai: Why? Because it starts out exciting and ends in disaster?

Boyd: *loud snorting laughter* You need some ice for that burn?

Leo: Very funny. I forgot to laugh.

Eloin: ...Okay maybe I need to think longer...

Haha, that's gold right there. XD

The only pair in my arsenal so far that uses any pet names is my Avatar and Frederick as well. The whole Freddy Bear thing. lol Then Frederick decides to call his wifey Kelli-Honey. Yeah, he's not too good at coming up with clever pet names. :P

Yep ^_^ Don't feel bad, not all couples do that, so not all OC pairs have to.

Oh, and there's a Jeff Dunham reference in there. He's the comedian who uses puppets on Comedy Central, ever watched him? The reference is the thing about Hurricane, one of his jokes was that his wife called him that and the puppet had the same comeback as Cerai did lol.

Oh, I love Jeff Dunham! He and his puppets are hilarious. XD Yeah, I've watched him a few times, but I must not have seen the show where he did those lines, cause I didn't catch the reference at all.

He needs to add some female puppets. Give Jose the jalapeno a girlfriend(she can be Rosita the chili pepper or something) and let Walter's wife tell her sides of the stories xD My dad actually got to go see him perform somewhere...

I think the reference is from the Spark of Insanity show, but I might be wrong.

Blooper reel 2! More ask blog shenanigans.

Question: Cerai is mentioned to be "game for anything with cheese". Does this include all cheese or not?

Cerai: Not. I usually like anything with cheese in it, but one time I decided to try those little cheeses with wax on them that you have to take the wax off to eat. Those things were too strong for me and pretty much everyone but Ike! Boyd thought he could handle them, shoved the whole thing in his mouth...he thought wrong. I don't see that facial expression often, that's for sure...

Boyd: I know I made a face, but it only happened once!

Cerai: Yeah, but I've seen it in other situations...

Boyd: Like what?

Cerai: ...All right. Ladies and gentlemen, I kid you not: you're looking at a man whose sex face is the same as his ate too much cheese face.

Boyd: o_o What?!

Cerai: Hey, you asked! Not my fault!

I can totally see Boyd being that way lol. For the record, the only reason she noticed that is because they'd done it the night before and it was fresh in her memory. But at least we know he was enjoying himself xD

Ike got to take the rest of that cheese. And I bet he put hot sauce or something on it.

Edited by Dragoncat

• 2 weeks later...

capture_by_rubydragoncat-d8rwx4y.png

Gonna be a height chart thing, right now it's just the wyverns and Samba, both forms. Had to outline his tail in human form digitally because it blended into his cat form. This is the first time Blaze and Frostbite have been in the same picture, the differences between male and female wyverns should be more obvious than ever before...

Don't ask why I thought screenshotting the whole photoshop window was necessary...

the differences between male and female wyverns should be more obvious than ever before...

Other than the slight size difference, I don't get it.

Other than the slight size difference, I don't get it.

Males have bigger ruff things on their faces. Notice how Frostbite's (white one) ruff extends further up from his head and is larger.

Edited by Dragoncat

Blooper reel 3! Let's take a glimpse into the future and see how a certain pair of siblings do as parents...

Eloin: LEO! *comes running down the hallway holding baby Milo*

Leo: He looks fine, he's not crying, what's the matter?

Eloin: He's had this same diaper rash for a week!

Cerai: Put some of that butt paste on it. *awkward silence* And by that I mean rash cream...

Eloin: Tried that, not working! We need to take him to the doctor!

Leo: Let's not make any rash decisions.

Cerai: *high fives, laughs* You know what you just did? You just made a dad joke...

Leo: ...I did, didn't I... -_-

Eloin: Well I don't find it humorous!

Cerai: Relax. Naroc had one of those when he was that age and it lasted for two weeks and then it went away.

Leo: Where is Naroc anyway?

Cerai: Um...*looks around* He was right here.

Boyd: *yells from the kitchen* Quit waterboarding your sister!

Leo: That sounds like trouble.

Cerai: You think? *almost slips on the wet kitchen floor* What the...heck? Why are you letting them play with the sink sprayer?

Boyd: I'm not, he just grabbed it and sprayed her!

Naroc: She had a dirty face! I was trying to help!

Cerai: ...Mom, Dad, I know you can hear me...please lift the curse that would make my kids a hundred times worse than I was...

Naroc: What, Mommy?

Cerai: Nothing. Go to your room, young man!

Well we've discussed that they might have indoor plumbing so yeah. You even said you came up with a pump system that gets water from a well inside. Idk.

And yep! Nice pun work on his part...although if he keeps it up she might make him sleep on the couch for awhile lol.

Ah yeah, that's true. I didn't say that my pump system included a sprayer though. Then again, I didn't say that it didn't either, so...

Haha, true that.

Meanwhile, Ike would be clueless on what to do in situations like these with Elincia having to coach him whenever baby Kael would have something like this happen and Frederick would be taking baby Morgan and baby Antoinette to a healer for like every little problem because he's Frederick. XD Kelli would have to repeatedly tell him to quit bothering the royal physician. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah I can see that. I'm wondering how he'd react to Antoinette dating...I mean you said in the fanart thread you ship her with Inigo, and he hits on everything that moves xD I can't really see Freddy being one of those dads who would shoot their daughters' boyfriends if they get the chance/it was legal, but I can't see him not being close to that either...

Also Morgan and Severa, talk about opposites attract. He's an optimist and she's Grumpy Cat in human form. I kinda ship my Morgan with Kjelle just because. Vaike and Sully are family friends too. And their support is interesting/cute.

We can have conversations here without getting in trouble for derailing like we would in the fanart thread xD