Who's the Best Trainee?

Trainee Questions  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Best Trainee

2. 2. Who Do You Pair With Amelia?

• Ross - Because Full Weapon Triangle
    • Ewan - Because Might & Magic
    • Franz - Because I Already Paired Seth With Eirika and Franz Needs a Good Support
    • Duesell - Because Mentor-Student Relationships Are Full of Win
    • No one - Because She's Useless

Ross, no contest. He's not great, but he also doesn't take too much investment to get going, and then will end up becoming a solid, slightly above average unit from the midgame onwards.

The other two remain awful, even with babying they never really get great.

SonoftheGreatGarciaRoss. Unlike the other Trainees and Est archtypes, he actually joins early not later and when your party is lacking axe users. He can take a hit and shrug it off because he's the son of the Great Garcia. Nothing will stop that warrior.

I pair up Amelia with Franz just because they go well together. Also I make her a Paladin and not a General because I'm hipster like that I guess. :D

Ross is helpful due to being one of the few Axe users, and being available from the start.

I tried to use Amelia, but she was never good. She doesn't do anything that other Lance user's cannot; maybe I should've made her a General.

Ewan is actually still good. He has the distinction of being a Dark mage, much less a magic user. I still found him to be one of the best units in the game.

Subjectively, I love magic users in general, and Druids in particular, so I hold a personal preference for Ewan despite his characterization being...annoying, to put it gently.

Objectively, however, there's really not much debate: Ross, by a landslide (and he's actually the one I like the least). If you're not grinding (admittedly FE8 is pretty into the concept), it's all about the join-chapter, and Ross's availability blows the other two out of the water (and into space).

Also, who Amelia pairs with is dependent on her promotion path.

If you picked General (probably for Link Arena or Creature Campaign purposes), then it's probably a good idea to have her start forming a support ring with the other trainees. Ross and Ewan don't really promote to anything with a crazy-high Movement allowance (barring Mage Knight, which...please don't do that to Ewan, good lord), so none of them will be outstripping the others in terms of positioning. Same goes for Super Trainee, though that's...about as bad as turning Ewan into a Mage Knight.

If you picked Paladin (probably for when you specifically want a traditional FE experience and you religiously avoid map mode/Valni/skirmishes/post-game/arenabuse/etc.), then Ewan and Ross will have a difficult time keeping up with her; you're better off having her support Franz at that point, since they'll both be Pallies and have the same Movement allowance. I dislike the 'useless' option (it's a bit obvious), so assuming I'm forced to make it 'work' I selected the one she'd be most suited to in a 'classic FE' environment (Paladin > Franz).

Edited by EdeaCreamer

As to who's best, Ross for coming early enough that it's possible to get him out of his rut without having to go out of your way to do so.

As to who I pair Amelia with, Franz, as I'm unlikely to use any of the other three, so he wins by default.

I think Ross is pretty much the best in terms of defense (Unless you make Amelia a knight). I made him a Super Journeyman on my third time playing, and he took hits/ dished hits like nobodies business. He's also a good contender for the Brave Axe you get in Chapter 17.

Edited by TheCanadianKeyblade

Ross,because he might be the only one who might survive a hit in the chapter you get him.Plus,everybody loves Super Journeyman!He would have more competition if Amelia wasn't an idiot and went for the armed Forde then the unarmed Franz and I felt like using Ewan,but I have Lute to dish out the spells.

Edited by Shadowfall

I think Ross is pretty much the best in terms of defense (Unless you make Amelia a knight). I made him a Super Journeyman on my third time playing, and he took hits/ dished hits like nobodies business. He's also a good contender for the Brave Axe you get in Chapter 17.

First off, why would you make Amelia a knight?? That's just shooting yourself in the foot big time. Ditto for Super Journeyman Ross, given it's essentially a crappy Berserker.

Ross,because he might be the only one who might survive a hit in the chapter you get him.Plus,everybody loves Super Journeyman!He would have more competition if Amelia wasn't an idiot and went for the armed Forde then the unarmed Franz and I felt like using Ewan,but I have Lute to dish out the spells.

Agreed that he might survive a hit when you get him, though honestly, why chance it when the banditos might have 7 speed?

First off, why would you make Amelia a knight?? That's just shooting yourself in the foot big time. Ditto for Super Journeyman Ross, given it's essentially a crappy Berserker.

For Ross, the Super Classes have a three times higher crit rate.

For Amelia, if you don't like having a multidude of horse units or you haven't beat the game three times.

supertrainees have the same critrates as berserkers, but with worse promotion gains and caps (if you care about them). Not to mention supertrainees never get a con boost, so ross is stuck at 8 con while using axes which is beyond terrible

I think they gain move on promo, but I'd still be inclined to choose the likes of Paladin and Berserker over them. Ross is the best by virtue of not being horrendously underleveled on join, although he's not stellar by any means.

For Ross, the Super Classes have a three times higher crit rate.

For Amelia, if you don't like having a multidude of horse units or you haven't beat the game three times.

Except for the part where the super trainees, to put it bluntly, suck gigantic portions of ass because they get no Con (and honestly, I am NOT convinced a crit boost [or for Ewan, access to all three magic types] is nearly enough to make up for this).

WRT Amelia, it's still shooting yourself in the foot pretty badly, given that you're STILL putting up with 4 move lancelock, and it ain't like you're getting anything worthwhile from it, given that Great Knights are awful, and Generals are just as bad, if not even worse.

Edited by Levant Caprice

supertrainees have the same critrates as berserkers, but with worse promotion gains and caps (if you care about them). Not to mention supertrainees never get a con boost, so ross is stuck at 8 con while using axes which is beyond terrible

Super Recruits have a crit rate of a Swordmaster.