FE: Awakening ROM decrypted and extracted

VincentASM

Ooh, I'm interested in the interview; if anyone finds it, I'd love a link : )

I can rip the map textures, if you want those. They're quite interesting, but not the same as tilesets, obviously.

ls_towerin_ground09_63D00%28twin_g0_0%29

BTW... does anybody recognise this map at all?

unknownmap.png

It appears very briefly and obscured in the ending/start screen.

Pretty sure it's a generic map, not something from FE and I'm wondering if it's borrowed from somewhere (because the map looks too involved/detailed for an IS employee to make themselves IMHO for a 1 second appearance).

The little chunk of a continent in the southeast corner looks a bit like Silesse, but it could also very well not be.

The very southwestern tip of the main continent looks a bit like Telius, but that would be some crazy scaling.

The text at the top of what I think looks like Silesse says "The L(or C)-something P(or F)-something Empire"

I have no idea what it is. But I am intrigued.

Edited by Crixler

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That... doesn't sound like Chrom!Sugita or Kobayashi!Lucina. Even if the labels say so.

Anyways:

好きだ・・・これからはずっとお前が傍にいる。

"I love you.... I'll be by your side forever."

今、素直に愛を語ることはできません・・・それでも私は、いつもあなたを待っています。

"For right now, I cannot say to you that I love you.... But I will always be waiting for you."

Oh! And could the Dance Icon/Skill be still within the game? So, should one say, give it to someone *cough Inigo cough* they'd be able to dance? I mean, sure, I'd be positively sure that the animation wouldn't exist, but...

Most of us can't run ROMs due to the required 4.5 firmware.

Let alone having a capture card for it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Unused names? As in... That's it?

Oh! And could the Dance Icon/Skill be still within the game? So, should one say, give it to someone *cough Inigo cough* they'd be able to dance? I mean, sure, I'd be positively sure that the animation wouldn't exist, but...

Yeah, I mean you can't expect that much. If the developers cut something, it's unlikely to be in the ROM. So when there is something left in the ROM, it's a minor miracle (or really lazy practice: you decide).

Could be... I'd have to check. Maybe they wanted Olivia to dance in different classes too, but it was too bothersome?

That... doesn't sound like Chrom!Sugita or Kobayashi!Lucina. Even if the labels say so.

Do you know who those lines belong to?

Or could they be Chrom and Lucina's previous voice actors? Or just them with a different accent/tone?

Do you know who those lines belong to?

Or could they be Chrom and Lucina's previous voice actors? Or just them with a different accent/tone?

Those voice lines aren't in the final product. (As in never played in game for a character)

So it could be either.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Also... this picture makes my brain melt.

009.bcres_6B800%28Bmap_wallpaper%29.png

IS, gimme your world map making files plz.

*cries*

...Waaait a minute.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that the reason they scrapped that map was to deliberately break from Archanea canon. Why they'd want to do this is beyond me, but that map is obviously the world map (behold, the same clip from the beta Cht.5 screen) and clearly references a location from Archanea by name, something which never happens in Awakening. They likely made the decision not to link the games too strongly a ways into development and redid the map to cut out the names, not having enough time/resources afterword to make the new one as high quality as the old one.

Why they did that is up in the air, but I'm speculating that it was mainly due to the whole "Awakening is the last FE" thing. They probably tried to make it in a way that, should the series end, the most plausible explanation would be that it was Archanea and the series would end on the continent it began, while if the series survived they wouldn't have to retcon anything to make a sequel and establish Awakening's continent as a new one with lore of its own. This would also explain why Awakening's world building is so sparse and, to be frank, I hope it's true- I'd think a lot better of Awakening's plot if this turned out to be the case. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, I hadn't realised the drawings in the beta chapter titles were from the world map. I thought the two soldiers fighting looked familiar...

But I think you might be getting too excited; I'm pretty sure that's just a mock up map to test the world map drawing.

For one, you've got a tower in the middle of a lake (or ocean) and two dragons haphazardly pasted (one of them is the Goldoa motif, rotated 90 degrees).

Plus I'm pretty sure the "ea" to the left is a part of "Crimea" and the map aesthetics are totally based off FE10's world map.

That said, I can't think of a reason why they'd have a reference to "Grunia" of all things. So I wouldn't be surprised if the original plan was to go back to Archanea.

Why reference Grunia?

Hm. Maybe El Camuso was set to make another appearance!

...Nah, not really.

But in all seriousness, keeping in mind that aside from Anna, the characters who've shown up in the most games are the Whitewings and Camus. Grunia (Or Grust rather) being hidden really doesn't surprise me. xD

I'm in love with how much interesting unused content remains in the game so far. This is more than we've ever had before, that I've known for an FE game. Also, nice on the map finds. They'll make my remakes of them a lot easier :)

holy crap that level design is all over the place. Interesting to see where some old FE maps were taken instead of new original ones. I felt that the final game's maps were pretty uninspired, but some of these older designs look more fun to play... huh

Edited by Celice

Nice find! I thought the layout looked a tad familiar.

Been kind of busy lately, but I'm still planning that write up in my head. At this point, I think I've checked almost every area I can poke my nose in.

In the mean time, here are a few more oddities I noticed.

Like the Barracks, the armoury guy has a bunch of interesting assets in his shop.

ls_shop00_ground00_55D80(shop00).png

shop.png

Didn't realise Grima's Truth was so common you can stack them on bookshelves.

Also, if you stare hard at the rack to the armourer's right, you can see a bunch of healing items: Vulnerary, Concoction, Elixir, Sweet Tincture and something I can't recognise.

Back to the ending, did anyone wonder what that red book was?

ending.png]

ls_UI_desktop_ground00_55E80(book).png

If you screw up your eyes, you can just about read some of the words.

Front cover is "The Book of Secrets" and inside is... I'll let you figure it out.

Finally, I had a bit of fun putting a CG back together.

It's not perfect, but I quite like how it turned out.

testcg.jpg

I want to print this out and make one of those cardboard/paper boxes with multiple layers; dunno what they're called.

Edited by VincentASM

What is in that Book of Secrets? I can read a bit of it, but absolutely none of it is related to Awakening. It talks of rounded rectangles, layers, and color codes.

Also, it doesn't end correctly. It ends on "above your", I think.

I think that unknown armory item that you couldn't recognize may have been a Pure Water.

Edited by TheRealBlueBlur

What is in that Book of Secrets? I can read a bit of it, but absolutely none of it is related to Awakening. It talks of rounded rectangles, layers, and color codes.

Also, it doesn't end correctly. It ends on "above your", I think.

I think that unknown armory item that you couldn't recognize may have been a Pure Water.

There's a link inside the spoiler in the spoiler that gives you a big clue : )

I'll paste it again, here.

It's instructions for designing a game-based UI.

I wonder if Robin wants to make a game?

Yep, this is definitely it, I'm 100% sure

Joking aside, I'm really surprised they just left this in the game's ROM.

Joking aside, I'm really surprised they just left this in the game's ROM.

You'd be surprised about a lot of things they leave in software during development.

If it doesn't break anything and is left unused, just leave it there. Better than breaking something else trying to delete it.

You'd be surprised about a lot of things they leave in software during development.

If it doesn't break anything and is left unused, just leave it there. Better than breaking something else trying to delete it.

I know, but I'm more confused on...well...why did they put this in the ROM in the first place? It doesn't relate to Awakening in any way, whatsoever. All of the other unused files were at least related to the game.

I know, but I'm more confused on...well...why did they put this in the ROM in the first place? It doesn't relate to Awakening in any way, whatsoever. All of the other unused files were at least related to the game.

They didn't really expect anyone to read it, and those that did would get a laugh out of it. It could also be a joke by some english speaking intern >.>

They didn't really expect anyone to read it, and those that did would get a laugh out of it. It could also be a joke by some english speaking intern >.>

Yeah, probably this.

You can barely make out the text in the full resolution image, so it's highly unlikely you can read it on the 3DS's much smaller screen ^^

Pasting from an online guide was probably easier than trying to write something that 99.9% of people can't read.

Actually... speaking of things totally unrelated to FE, there's another file I almost forgot.

011bcres_4EF00Bmap_wallpaper.png

No clue what it's for, but it serves the same purpose as the map with Grunia. Apparently wallpaper of some kind used for the stage maps. Maybe it appears underneath the stage map?!

Edited by VincentASM

That looks like a map of Earth. You can clearly see Africa and the strip of land that joins the Americas.

Yeah, it is. I know what it is, but not why it's here : P

If you Google the text, you can find out the origins of this particular map too.