Could Holy War Work With A Chapter Count of Other Games?

Jotari

There's nothing wrong with re-imagining a game. FE4 does have a lot of flaws, though, and I don't think splitting the chapters will do much to fix it. (Backtracking is a minor problem exacerbated by other factors, and removing it would just make every chapter a run to the throne like in Marth's games and FE6.)

there's only maybe 5 chapters in the entire game where you have to backtrack with your lord

I see, that makes a lot more sense. It'd be a pretty huge cast though!

A quick calculation gives me about 48 characters in Thracia and 24 in Second Gen Holy War excluding replacements. So adding them together and taking away Leif, Nana, Finn, Delmud and Sety who are in both gives us 67. Still quite a bit lower than New Myster of The Emblem and Radiant Dawn which both seventy+ at least. My figure for Thracia also might be slightly off. There's 52 characters total but I believe four characters you have to choose between (excluding Sais, we get him for free since we're already getting Sety in Genealogy), Of course fusing the plots of the two games would bring about a whole host of other problems continuity wise but it still is interesting to think about.

There was another, far less ambitious or publicized hack for just gen2 with fixed pairings that i believe also did this. it got put on hiatus earlier this year because life happened to the hacker. can't find it atm though.

Edited by sirmola

Forgot about that one. After a little digging, it was called Fire Emblem Forever: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24830 It worked out pretty well from what I remember.

Yeah. Hear's hoping he gets time/motivation back eventually.

there's only maybe 5 chapters in the entire game where you have to backtrack with your lord

"Only"? This game has 12 chapters. That's almost half of the chapters.

Warp and Return staves are a thing as mentioned earlier. Not to mention a certain return ring.

Yeah, backtracking is only an issue if you're new to the game and don't know how to deal with it. Leg/Return Ring + Warp + Return + Rescue work wonders to the point of trivializing any backtracking.

wrt the main subject, FE4 would need a lot of changes here and there in order to work as the other games after it. Modeling these changes after FE5 is a good idea. My only issue is that the game would become as long as FE10 (covering the invasions of Verdane and Agustria in post FE4 format can easily take 10 chapters, the Silesian arc can easily take 6 chapters, the Barhara arc can also take 6 chapters. We'd have 22 chapters just for the first part of the game, give or take).

2,3,4 where you have return staves and rings and large stretches of roads for sigurd to move faster

7 where you really only have to send aless and celice and you get a dancer after to move celice along faster

9, where you really only backtrack with corple but I guess you can send celice or some others

10, where you backtrack barely just to get to the gate to miletos

Oh, I wasn't arguing that backtracking isn't that big of a deal, but it IS quite frequent in this game which was my point :P

Chapter 2 is absolutely annoying about it though and a one-castle-per-chapter remake would be an improvement for that specific chapter IMO.

Warp and Return staves are a thing as mentioned earlier. Not to mention a certain return ring.

Yes, but warp staves only work if you've captured the castle you want to go to, and often, warping back to the last castle you seized and trekking back to the fight takes longer than just backtracking. And return always takes you back to the home castle, so it's kind of worthless after the first castle has been seized in a chapter, save for a few niche scenarios.