What naming/numbering system should we use?

sirmola

I have noticed that, since an intsys emplyee mentioned that bsfe should be fe5, there has not been uniformity in the "FEX" numbering system. (for example, vincentasm seems to have been convinced by this remark, as the last site redisign removed all the numbers) As such, i honestly do not know how to refer to any fire emblem games after 4. As using the full name is not convinient, I was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to the correct naming system. Honestly, i am aware that any name question is flame-bait on this forum, but this is confusing me enough that i felt that i had to ask. Thanks

In order:

fire emblem: the first one

fire emblem gaiden: the other nes one

fire emblem 3: the re-sequel

fire emblem 4: the big one

bsfe: the one nobody played

fire emblem 5: released on the snes in 1999. that's like after super mario 64. wtf

fire emblem 6: fire emblem 1 with seasoning

fire emblem: elibian nights

fire emblem 8: the best one

fire emblem 9: the motionless picture

fire emblem 10: well last time your pc started as a not-lord then became a lord. now you start with a not-lord and then switch to a lord. you can really see the technical leap here

fire emblem 11: the first one was so good we decided to remake it three times lol

12: fire emblem, as directed by fanfiction.net

fire emblem: awakening from game design.

as you can see this is a clear and unambiguous naming system that i hope to see everyone using in the future. god bless.

considering nintendo and intsys has pretty much dropped the "let's include bsfe" revised count in the 2+ years since fe13's release, there's not much point caring about it

In order:

fire emblem 5: released on the snes in 1999. that's like after super mario 64. wtf

fire emblem 10: well last time your pc started as a not-lord then became a lord. now you start with a not-lord and then switch to a lord. you can really see the technical leap here

fire emblem 11: the first one was so good we decided to remake it three times lol

as you can see this is a clear and unambiguous naming system that i hope to see everyone using in the future. god bless.

fucking incredible

considering nintendo and intsys has pretty much dropped the "let's include bsfe" revised count in the 2+ years since fe13's release, there's not much point caring about it

fucking incredible

Are you being sarcastic, because the auther of that post was. I hoestly have a really hard time telling on the internet.

Are you being sarcastic, because the auther of that post was. I hoestly have a really hard time telling on the internet.

the first part was an honest, vaguely educated opinion on the matter at hand, but the second part was expressing admiration for a hilarious post

the first part was an honest, vaguely educated opinion on the matter at hand, but the second part was expressing admiration for a hilarious post

Got it. The internet can be confusing sometimes. (and yes, i thought that the post in question was hilarious as well)

Honestly, what really confused me what the fact that the recent site redesign removed the numbers, plus certain comments on the part of vincentASM

Edited by sirmola

In order:

FE1 was remade 3 times? I thought it was twice (FE3 and 11)

And tbh I rarely see FE12 fanfics on FFN... FE13 is probably closer to that definition.

In all honesty, I don't care. It's numbers, and I don't think BSFE is counted usually because it's technically an expansion from what I've heard.

That said... I just go with whatever the community seems to use. In this case:

1: The Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light

2: Gaiden

3: Mystery of the Emblem

4: The Genealogy of the Holy War

5: Thracia 776

6: The Binding Blade

7: The Blazing Blade

8: The Sacred Stones

9: Path of Radiance

10: Radiant Dawn

11: Shadow Dragon

12: Heroes of Light and Shadow

13: Awakening

The numbers being removed from the site is just a coincidence : P

I didn't remove them and I don't know why they're gone, but I can only assume the numbers didn't fit with the layout.

Personally I'd just stick with what we know best.

As somebody mentioned, IS randomly decided to change the numbering system internally, 12 games in. There's not much reason for us to follow really.

I didn't remove them and I don't know why they're gone, but I can only assume the numbers didn't fit with the layout.

As somebody mentioned, IS randomly decided to change the numbering system internally, 12 games in. There's not much reason for us to follow really.

Part of what confused me was the april fool's topic. It is actualy surprisingly common on the internet to use april fools topic as trial baloons for posibly unpopular initiatives, and i honestly thought that this was what you were doing when the numbers disapered from the website. Sorry about that.

Part of what confused me was the april fool's topic. It is actualy surprisingly common on the internet to use april fools topic as trial baloons for posibly unpopular initiatives, and i honestly thought that this was what you were doing when the numbers disapered from the website. Sorry about that.

The part of the April's Fools that was accurate was the change from Sword of Seals to Binding Blade : P

(The numbers still work, but for Search Engine Optimization reasons, it's not good to use them as the default in the URLs.)

(The numbers still work, but for Search Engine Optimization reasons, it's not good to use them as the default in the URLs.)

Out of curiosity, why were they replaced with weapon images in the list on the main page? Wouldn't new fans get confused?

In order:

I'm somewhat surprised you didn't refer to Thracia as the bullshit one.

I'm somewhat surprised you didn't refer to Thracia as the bullshit one.

Funny thing is BSFE and Thracia are both FE5 depending on the number scale you use. XD

Out of curiosity, why were they replaced with weapon images in the list on the main page? Wouldn't new fans get confused?

They weren't replaced by the weapon images... Those images were an afterthought. I might write up a "numbering system" page, if one doesn't already exist, to help clarify the issue for new fans. But the numbering is inconsistent between the community and IS, so I don't think it matters whether or not it's on the home page.