Hacking FE8

Zepher-Tensho

Wow~! I haven't posted here in ages!

Anyway, I'm working on a new hack, well, my first one really. I'm hacking based off of FE8. I'm trying to be self-sufficient here, but I wanted to ask a few questions that I could get advice on.

For starters, is there a way to add a third "lord"? I have three characters that I want as the main characters, and if any of the three die, it results in Game Over. Of course the first two are easy enough; I just replace Eirika and Ephraim. It's the third I don't know how to do.

Also, I want to utilize the holy weapons of Jugdral (Mystletainn, Gae Bolg, etc...). Similar to Holy War, I want the weapons locked to certain users only, as opposed to making them just S rank weapons. Is there a way to add that many "preferred" weapons, or is there no way to do that many?

Oh and one more thing. I've tried tinkering briefly with Eirika's battle palette, but it won't change from the generic blue-uniform green-hair look (I've changed her class). Will that be something I have to do via hex editor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated~!

Also have this teaser. I've already started work on weapon icons, based on Awakening's icons.

c49d847582315975bf13e585a45a8816.png

Well, using that workaround theory, I think I have a scheme set up. Lucky for me the "unused" Lyn/Mani Katti lock was left in the FE8 code. Or so the Nightmare modules say. I'll just have to do quick testing to confirm. If it works, then that problem is solved. But that link has useful info as well, thanks~

Little update. I have a close friend who has spent the last year and a half learning to make games in college, both in terms of programming and graphics. When I mentioned making a ROM hack he instantly asked if he could do the portraits and spriting. He's familiar with making old-school animations like the ones used in FE, and he can't wait to get started. I'll probably start him off light, and see if he can mod Eirika's sprites into an archer class, and mod Lyon's sprites to look like a different character. I don't wanna be too adventurous and push him into doing full customs right away, not until I get some experience with swapping/importing animations.

He also has experience working with RPG maker, and making sprites specifically for RPG maker, increasing the chances that I may shift to using the FEXP engine.

For now, I'm going to slow down on mods to my ROM, and move to the meat and potatoes; writing the story, dialouge, supports, character personalities. In the meantime I'll study working with FEXP, maybe experiment with it. I'll also be hand sketching my characters portraits, as well as doing a few full-detail, full-size pictures for the more important ones, like the lords and the main villain.