Catching OR/AS demo Pokemon when picking Grovyle

Anacybele

No joke. The Pokemon just HAD to be Ice-type Glalie...

It doesn't really matter to me much though, I didn't want it anyway. But seriously, you can't get it if you picked Grovyle due to its weakness to ice. The thing kept beating my Sceptile, even when I Mega evolved it. Though I never had it use Frenzy Plant. I figured it wouldn't help at all since it forces the user to rest for a turn, and this Glalie could take Sceptile out in two hits. This Glalie also seemed invincible anyway, since it either used Protect or evaded the attack I picked.

Just letting you Grovyle/Sceptile fans that want the Glalie know so you don't screw yourselves over.

Edited by Anacybele

Really? Well, that's kind of cheap. :/

Well, I'll try that later, I suppose. I won't use the Glalie in the full game at all, but I might find some other use for it, who knows. Pokedex completion, probably.

I think it's more along the lines of wanting to make the demo content easily accessible without too many pains. You don't want players frustrated with a game before it comes out, etc. It would also probably polarize the starter choice as you mentioned, which they presumably didn't want.

It doesn't really matter to me much though, I didn't want it anyway. But seriously, you can't get it if you picked Grovyle due to its weakness to ice. The thing kept beating my Sceptile, even when I Mega evolved it.

that's only going to increase the amount of damage it does because of the added dragon type. besides, the pokeball always works.

damn it neal

Edited by Cornet

Yeah, you all have points there. I remembered Sceptile gained the Dragon-type, but not that that's also weak to ice. xP

That might be why a Pokeball catches it by default. But then why does Steven give you multiple balls, I wonder...?

EDIT: Well, Red Fox, it's not like you typically weaken a Pokemon before throwing a Pokeball. >_>

Edited by Anacybele

glalie can't even OHKO sceptile, so you can do the following even if it wasn't scripted:

1. chuck pokeballs at it and hope you catch it anyway.

2. fight until leaf blade crits, glalie misses, or the ai decides to use headbutt so you can weaken it to what would normally be ideal.

Edited by Cornet

Glalie was owning my Swampert so hard (I was stupid and used Mud Bomb, which always missed and Glalie proceeded to flinch me with Headbutt), I'd hate to imagine what it's like for Sceptile players...

With a sliver of health (me by the way; Glalie was unscathed), I just chucked a Poke Ball, then realised the capture was scripted DX

EDIT: Well, Red Fox, it's not like you typically weaken a Pokemon before throwing a Pokeball. >_>

Yeah, but this is the demo. Granted, I wasn't sure if it was scripted, but I figured it probably was, and it was basically confirmed when I caught the thing at half health.

Also, if you needed to weaken it and it was literally impossible to do so with Sceptile, don't you think that information would be more widespread by now?

Not really, I once caught a Zapdos at almost full health. With a Great Ball. xP

But yeah, I hadn't thought of it being known by now if it really wasn't possible to do this with Sceptile.

Edited by Anacybele

I've beat the demo ten times already. It doesn't matter what pokemon you choose, glalie will always be caught first chance with pokeball (I think) and after your done with that and tell Steven to bring you back to mossdeep you get the other starters with their megastones. also in my battle with glalie I didn't know that he will always be caught in pokeball at first,so I tried slashing with my Blaziken to weaken It a bit. it double protected >.<

Edited by BlazeX635

I'm sure it's just me, but that Glalie kept using headbutt on my Swampert and managed to get the flinch every single time. I ended up losing because I didn't realize the catch rate was set to 100%

The demo isn't terribly interesting, it gets really boring and tedious after the fifth or sixth playthrough of random fetch or battle quests, at least to me. It's cool to see Hoenn again and I shouldn't expect much more from a demo of all things I guess

Edited by Spiky