really old news. the going theory is that it's got some connection to the french word viol, meaning "rape". it's very likely a blanket ban on anything containing "viol", rather than specifically targeting "violet", since basically everything containing it we could think of at the time proved to be censored as well

as for why they let "loli" through, well, this IS the game with nowi in it. what did you expect?

Well, in their defense, I don't think a lot of people would enjoy seeing swear word names or sexualized names in Streetpass teams and screenshots. So I understand why this was done.

But it was executed poorly since it prevents normal names like Violet and Cass from being usable. Same thing applies to the Pokemon games.

Well, in their defense, I don't think a lot of people would enjoy seeing swear word names or sexualized names in Streetpass teams and screenshots. So I understand why this was done.

But it was executed poorly since it prevents normal names like Violet and Cass from being usable. Same thing applies to the Pokemon games.

Because only Nintendo is allowed to put innuendo in their games! The players must be forbidden from this secret art of game design...

The stupid name censorship in Awakening was pointless. I only think hard swears should have been banned

Then I could still just name my avatar some bit of hate speech and send him out on StreetPass. People would be hella pissed at Nintendo for allowing that to happen.

Edited by Rovan

The game gave me a warning for naming my current Avatar Assassin.

Yet that is the name of a class. One time I tried naming a sword Glaze 2.0 (An upgrade to a Bronze Sword I named Glaze after forging for some odd reason) and it said it was inappropriate. Guess Nintendo hates counting.

Related: "Ishtar" is also banned, likely for being an anagram of "shit".

That's the dumbest reason for banning a name ever.

Related: "Ishtar" is also banned, likely for being an anagram of "shit".

I think it is because it is the name of a Spotpass unit, and two Ishtars would cause the apocalypse of awesomness to destroy Ylisse, Valm, and Judgral

Because only Nintendo is allowed to put innuendo in their games! The players must be forbidden from this secret art of game design...

Innuendo and names that are obviously supposed to be offensive are two different things. Nobody wants to see a team called "I f***ed your mom". Henry's recruitment quote about where the risen apparently came from, while being a mental image I don't want, is meant to be for the lols.

But they needed to do a better job...if you can name a yveltal Scrotum, but not a bunnelby Burrow, that's seriously messed up. That is if what I've heard is true...

Innuendo and names that are obviously supposed to be offensive are two different things. Nobody wants to see a team called "I f***ed your mom". Henry's recruitment quote about where the risen apparently came from, while being a mental image I don't want, is meant to be for the lols.

But they needed to do a better job...if you can name a yveltal Scrotum, but not a bunnelby Burrow, that's seriously messed up. That is if what I've heard is true...

Wow, the Nintendo censor fail strikes again...

Yet that is the name of a class. One time I tried naming a sword Glaze 2.0 (An upgrade to a Bronze Sword I named Glaze after forging for some odd reason) and it said it was inappropriate. Guess Nintendo hates counting.

I remember hearing something about how in Pokemon X/Y you can get a Steelix from a trainer that is named Thumper, but if you try to name a Pokemon Thumper yourself, you can't because it has "hump" in it.

I remember hearing something about how in Pokemon X/Y you can get a Steelix from a trainer that is named Thumper, but if you try to name a Pokemon Thumper yourself, you can't because it has "hump" in it.

My sister also could not name a Weedle "Weedy" because of the word "Weed" (Even though the word is for something you usually remove from a garden). WHY NINTENDO, JUST WHY!?!?

Why a steelix? I'd expect that for a bunnelby/diggersby. Because...Thumper in Bambi is a rabbit.

I think it is because it is the name of a Spotpass unit, and two Ishtars would cause the apocalypse of awesomness to destroy Ylisse, Valm, and Judgral

You can already have two Tikis and three Marths (4 if you count Lucina when she's still disguised as Marth) on the map at once, it's pretty lulzy.

You can already have two Tikis and three Marths (4 if you count Lucina when she's still disguised as Marth) on the map at once, it's pretty lulzy.

Also someone on Deviant Art named their avatar Ignatius, not knowing there would be a boss with the same name...

Minor but ANYWAY.

I want to name an MU Roy and have 3 Roys, 2 Tikis (accidental innuendo is accidental), 2 Alms, and 2 Ephraims on the map

Edited by Mastergabe2000

...SPEAKING OF WHICH, I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION.

If the name of your MU is censored, does it just show up as a Robin on StreetPass? Or do they not show up at all?

I think in the comments of one of his videos, Shadowofchaos says it's just a random generic name (I think)

Edited by Mastergabe2000

There are words that remain uncensored. Take a look at this...

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKlxEA99xA

And also, have you looked around on Youtube on videos of the 3DS game, Tomodachi Life? No, seriously -- it's so easy to bypass the censor.

[spoiler=Video contains language that can be considered NSFW]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KADPl_tF9SY

Edited by Roflolxp54