How bad were you when you just started fire emblem?

momogeek2141

191 members have voted

1. 1. How good were you?

• As good as I am now.
    • Very good.
    • Eh.
    • Pretty bad
    • Imagine the worst you possibly could. Then make it fifty times worse.
  2. 2. How many characters did you lose on your first run through? (approximate)

FE7 was my first game. I was so ass at it, i didnt actually understand just what was going on in the game, and a bunch of people died.

I put the game down for months cuz i didnt grasp it. When i finally decided to pay attention to the mechanics, no one died except maybe Rebecca.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man was I the only person who always reset when a unit died from the very first playthrough.

All I remember apart from that was Marcus got 1 kill, then after seeing his exp growth I made him an unarmed decoy for the rest of the game, I never used rescue because LNM didn't drill it into you, and Wil was the only permanent casualty because I got sick of resetting because of him.

I started out with Sacred Stones. I don't know how I did it, but I didn't lose anyone until Chapter 15, where Garcia got killed by a mage. I remember being super pissed, because it did exactly how much health he had. Then Cormag proceeded to one-shot Valter with a Dragonspear crit. I felt pretty vindicated. In the next few chapters, I started messing up. I lost Marisa due to a range mistake, then I let Franz die because I rushed him in to save Amelia( they had an A support.) Of all the people... ( Oh I almost forgot Ephraim's glorious 1HP victory from Final

My first game was Awakening and Sumia, Cordelia, Fredrick, Sully, Libra, Nowi, Vaike, Panne, Cherche and Anna all died on my first playthrough because instead of healing them I hoped for them to dodge.

I removed Veteran from my Avatar and Morgan because I thought it was an useless skill and made most of my army use only steel swords.

I never bothered with the rescue staff since I thought it was useless and I didn't even know what Galeforce was until I visited this site since I always promoted Pks to Fks.

I sucked at FE7.I tried throwing Marcus at everything until he died,and it basically went downhill.On the last chapter,I must have had around 11-12 units left.

Edited by Shadowfall

My first was PoR master race.

I only lost 1 unit when I was like, 11. That was Mia, on the final chapter getting ganked by a bunch of halberdiers, and me not using a chokepoint with such a fragile unit. Curse her garbage str and def.

Of course, now I barely lose units, even on the highest difficulties. Back then I was pretty bad, but not anything worse than maybe say, an intelligent casual.

When I first played Awakening, I didn't know anything about how the gameplay mechanics worked so I made pretty much every stupid mistake that even beginners should be aware of:

- Never used the Avatar (due to the "double risk" of getting a game over :awesome: )

- Used Frederick to clear maps from the prologue to.... final chapter, without using any Second Seal on him. Since I was on casual, I didn't care if he dies or anything. So none of the other characters got above average stats.

- Didn't even bother to use Second Seals :awesome: Therefore didn't know certain skills like Galeforce existed, so obviously none of the units had them :awesome:

- Didn't know that some characters like Gaius are recruitable. I did later find out that you can recruit Tharja though.... by mere chance :XD: And obviously I didn't know a thing about those "secret" Spotpass characters to begin with.

- Didn't bother to grind with skirmish much, and obviously I didn't buy any DLC back then.

- Didn't care about the pair-up/marriage/inheritance system :awesome: I thought it was unreliable due to the fact that pairing up "reduces the number of units to half, while DS and DG don't always occur" :awesome: Because of this, I rarely paired them up so ChromxMaribelle and FredxCordelia were the only couples I had (I only achieved the latter near endgame btw :lol: ) The worst part was that I still didn't pair them up once they're married, so I didn't even know that the chance of DS and DG increased along with support levels. :awesome:

- Didn't bother to marry other couples for reasons stated above. Also didn't know exactly who would produce a child unit, so Lucina and Severa were the only children I had (and never used the latter).

- Didn't care/pay attention to the weapon triangle nor the extra damages. Didn't make use of the attack forecast to check how much damage you would face. And obviously didn't pay attention to what those "little horse and dragon icons" actually meant, I thought they were cute. I was like: "Hey, my Falcon!Sumia obviously has much more Res. than Great Lord!Chrom, how the hell did that REXCALIBUR killed her but not him!!???" :awesome:

Edited by Ryo

My first game was FE8, I played it on my 3DS. Half way through the game I lost about half the cast, maybe even more. By the final chapter I only had Eiricka, Innies, and Emphrahim left. I killed every recruitable unit. I didn't promote anyone but Eiricka and Emphrahim, I had the items, but everyone I could use them on was dead. I could never find any class change items for the units who I could promote.

When I first played Awakening, I didn't know anything about how the gameplay mechanics worked so I made pretty much every stupid mistake that even beginners should be aware of:

- Never used the Avatar (due to the "double risk" of getting a game over :awesome: )

- Used Frederick to clear maps from the prologue to.... final chapter, without using any Second Seal on him. Since I was on casual, I didn't care if he dies or anything. So none of the other characters got above average stats.

- Didn't even bother to use Second Seals :awesome: Therefore didn't know certain skills like Galeforce existed, so obviously none of the units had them :awesome:

- Didn't know that some characters like Gaius are recruitable. I did later find out that you can recruit Tharja though.... by mere chance :XD: And obviously I didn't know a thing about those "secret" Spotpass characters to begin with.

- Didn't bother to grind with skirmish much, and obviously I didn't buy any DLC back then.

- Didn't care about the pair-up/marriage/inheritance system :awesome: I thought it was unreliable due to the fact that pairing up "reduces the number of units to half, while DS and DG don't always occur" :awesome: Because of this, I rarely paired them up so ChromxMaribelle and FredxCordelia were the only couples I had (I only achieved the latter near endgame btw :lol: ) The worst part was that I still didn't pair them up once they're married, so I didn't even know that the chance of DS and DG increased along with support levels. :awesome:

- Didn't bother to marry other couples for reasons stated above. Also didn't know exactly who would produce a child unit, so Lucina and Severa were the only children I had (and never used the latter).

- Didn't care/pay attention to the weapon triangle nor the extra damages. Didn't make use of the attack forecast to check how much damage you would face. And obviously didn't pay attention to what those "little horse and dragon icons" actually meant, I thought they were cute. I was like: "Hey, my Falcon!Sumia obviously has much more Res. than Great Lord!Chrom, how the hell did that REXCALIBUR killed her but not him!!???" :awesome:

-I always spammed Master and Second seals once I reached level 10 with a unit missing all the level 15 skills.

-I wasn't afraid to use Robin or Chrom, I was on either easy or normal, probably normal. I did do classic though.

-I recruited every enemy unit on the first try.

-I reset a good amount of times, not an extreme amount, but a lot.

-I don't remember if I bought DLC before I beat the game or after, but I did grind while unlocking support conversations (best part of the game).

-I paired every unit I could at the start of the chapter.

-I think I had half, all, or most of the children characters before the end of the game.

-During the first few chapters I think I did know the basics of the weapon triangle from sacred stones. I don't think I understood anything else like extra damage until near the end of the game. I may have knew and attacked ignoring the weapon triangle. My memory is foggy.

Edited by Rabbattack

My first game was FE10. The run I first completed, I only lost Kyza and Rafiel but I included my aborted first run in the estimation in which I lost Jill and Laura and restarted after part 1 ended.

The biggest problem I had was Micaiah. It took me a shamefully long time to complete chapter 1 because I hadn't learned proper positioning yet. I still bear a bit of a grudge against her for being a source of difficulty in my first few runs.

I started resetting after death pretty quickly after the aborted run. Kyza got lost because I had tried his first chapter too many times and I didn't care any more (didn't occur to me at the time to not deploy him) and Rafiel was lost to one of Ashera's area attacks. I felt I could just push through on what was obviously the final map.

I remember playing fe7 and (somehow) getting to the final chapter with only eliwood, lyn, hector and jaffar because I was 8 and i thought Jaffar was the shit and i dont think i understood permadeath well back then. i dont even know how i even unlocked jaffar with the level of playing my first run was.

Roughly mediocre. Didn't take thaaaat long to familiarize myself with the game machanics, comfterbly. Lost about 3-4 characters.

I've got a gajizillion times better, however.

I think the thing with SS is that its painfully easy to a seasoned veteran, but it is still an FE game so it is possible for a newcomer to have a tough time with it.

I can attest to that. I have a friend that I tried to introduce to Fire Emblem. He has an ambassador 3DS, so he had a free copy of SS and he gave up after Chapter 3 on Easy Mode.

My first game in the series was FE6, and that's not the most newcomer friendly game at all. I did manage to learn the basics quickly, and if a character did die, I restarted the chapter. I was definitely not as good then as I have become though.

I think the thing with SS is that its painfully easy to a seasoned veteran, but it is still an FE game so it is possible for a newcomer to have a tough time with it.

Definitely true. I found its HM to be difficult, because I hadn't done one before, but I played easy mode right after my joke of an FE7 first run. It was easier.

My first game in the series was FE6, and that's not the most newcomer friendly game at all. I did manage to learn the basics quickly, and if a character did die, I restarted the chapter. I was definitely not as good then as I have become though.

Even now, I have a hard time beating that game without arena abuse.

Edited by momogeek2141

Holy balls starting with FE6? You got nads.

I don't really know why it's considered so hard to learn as a newcomer to be honest. I had no clue there was even a tutorial hidden in the menus, and I still managed to learn on my own. I guess it's a different experience for everyone.

My first game was FE9 when I was like 12 or so, and I was bloody terrible at it. I overused Titania, didn't train Ike or anyone else really, and ended up completely wrecked by The Black Knight during the duel with him.

I didn't lose anyone, though. Losing a character was as unacceptable to me then as it is now.

I was introduced to this series by way of a friend almost a decade ago. I thought it sounded lame and a bit D&D-esque, but I asked my uncle to get me 'Fire Emblem' for Christmas anyway, no game specified. Lo and behold, he turns up with the now-rare motherfucking Path of Radiance.

My eyes were huge the entire time I played the game. 'Woooooow, critical hits are so coooooool....'

Because my friend was briefing me throughout my first few missions, alongside Anna's top-notch tutorials, I mostly already knew what I was doing. The only issues I encountered were characters I failed to recruit because I didn't think to look up any guides at the time, and missed items/secrets that could have helped in a big way. Usually, no one died without me planning them to.

Also, I think I started on Easy mode. Dudes were promoting as early as the seventh chapter (I think). Mia and Boyd were two of my first promotes.

I know, right? Generally people find out about it, but it's rare to see someone find that one first. I feel huge pity for anyone who started with FE5.

I don't really know why it's considered so hard to learn as a newcomer to be honest. I had no clue there was even a tutorial hidden in the menus, and I still managed to learn on my own. I guess it's a different experience for everyone.

Well FE6 is somewhat notorious for having a ton of shit units and like 5 units that snap the game in half. Considering it was never released stateside it is surprising that you started with that one.