How bad were you when you just started fire emblem?

momogeek2141

191 members have voted

1. 1. How good were you?

• As good as I am now.
    • Very good.
    • Eh.
    • Pretty bad
    • Imagine the worst you possibly could. Then make it fifty times worse.
  2. 2. How many characters did you lose on your first run through? (approximate)

I know, right? Generally people find out about it, but it's rare to see someone find that one first. I feel huge pity for anyone who started with FE5.

On the contrary. Toughens 'em up quicker so as not to shy from the Hard difficulties in other games. Lunatic FE11, Lunatic+ FE13, HHM, FE10 Hard, etc.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE6 was my second game after Radiant Dawn. I personally didn't find it any harder than Holy War (which I think was my third) when I first played it, though in Holy War I failed to realize you can save the first time round and didn't use the feature nearly enough as I used to.

Edited by Jotari

Well FE6 is somewhat notorious for having a ton of shit units and like 5 units that snap the game in half. Considering it was never released stateside it is surprising that you started with that one.

Yeah, well FE6 NM wasn't all that bad my first time around. I made the mistake of trying out HM after completing NM thinking it couldn't be too bad. I couldn't get past the first chapter without someone dying. Haven't tried since haha.

Well FE6 is somewhat notorious for having a ton of shit units and like 5 units that snap the game in half. Considering it was never released stateside it is surprising that you started with that one.

Huh. I remember starting a thread about which game had the most balanced cast and quite a few people said FE6 was up there among the highly balanced. I was dubious myself as I immediately thought all axes users were terrible thanks to the hit issues but I believe some very valid points were put forward.

FE6 is the only game where Warriors having access to bows is actually helpful in any way, as using bows means you don't have to use axes.

Mono-axe users I would say aren't worth it in FE6. Heck, Echidna is the only person I can get to S-Rank axes due to her actually having a skill stat to make axes hit semi-consistently, unlike all those axe-locked scrub units.

Axes are still the worst weapon in FE6 though.

Eh, I was doing theory emblem in that post, as using a Warrior requires either training one of Ward or Lot, or not getting Echidna, neither of which I really feel like doing. And FE6 hit-rates have made me salty towards axes.

Although since I've always gone Echidna route, I don't really know how useful Bartre would be. Is there any situation where he would be more beneficial than Echidna?

It literally took me a year to beat FE7 because I had so many failed playthroughs. I lost so many people on my first sucessful playthrough, but finally beating the game was so satisfying. Now, I can beat the game in 2-3 days. It feels weird to be able to a game that gave me so much trouble that fast to say the least...

Edited by Cactuar512

Eh, I was doing theory emblem in that post, as using a Warrior requires either training one of Ward or Lot, or not getting Echidna, neither of which I really feel like doing. And FE6 hit-rates have made me salty towards axes.

Although since I've always gone Echidna route, I don't really know how useful Bartre would be. Is there any situation where he would be more beneficial than Echidna?

Possibly one-shotting low Def units, or wyverns. His 22 Str base is impressive, but Echidna is really better. I don't use either, because Gonzales>all (if you don't include hit rates.) Although I may not be in a position to judge, because I haven't gone Bartre route either (once again, because Gonzales>all)

warriors having bows is largely useless, they still are stuck with Irons and due to the way weapon ranks work they'll be lucky to get past D before endgame

You know, that's true. Adding to that, they can't counter on enemy phase.

Edited by momogeek2141

Hey Dondon. I don't think you voted or told us your story of how you were on your first run. Do you want to tell us? (It's fine if you don't, it's just I like to know how bad some of the best players were.)

• 4 weeks later...

my first run of sacred stones was atrocious I let everyone die except for a few choice units I only recruited joshua because of the tutorial (he died shortly after bet he really regretted that coin toss) not to mention I went down ephraim's rout (because I was unaware of the difficulty) once I reached vigarde every one one I deployed died I might have lost seth there and myrrh died while fighting orson erica was laughably underleveled I basically did everything wrong but when the dust settled I still won thank the gods for vidofnir and fliers

I was pretty bad, I think. I didn't lose any characters on my first playthrough, though, because I figured out early enough that they wouldn't come back and thus made it a point to restart the chapter if I lost anybody.

I also figured out pretty quickly that Seth got much less experience than other characters, so I made it a point not to use him... which, for FE8, was not exactly a wise choice, given how good Seth is despite his high level.

I started with FE7 when it came to North America on the GBA. Oh boy was I bad on my first playthrough. Lords were way underleveled because I was afraid of losing them joke was on me when I had to face the dragon at the end, overused Marcus (never again those bastards tricked me), I lost Matthew, Sain, Marcus (wounded), and Nills (wounded) and my lords died alot.

My first Fire Emblem game was Radiant Dawn. Needless to say part 1 kicked my ass through and through. The chapter where you recruit Aran must have taken me about 10 tries before I cleared it without anyone dying. Fortunately I had enough common sense not to abuse Sothe or else I would have been screwed in part 3. =P

I can't really remember ( I first started playing the series back in 2008-ish with FE7, so that's a bit fuzzy ) but I do know when I played RD for the first time, half the DB perished in 3-13 and I used a freakin' cheat code for unbreakable weapons when I came to 4-4 because *gawd, those reinforcements*. If it wasn't for 4-5 afterwards, I would have rage-quitted the game right there and then.

And in FE9 I got stuck at Chapter 11 ( one of the more memorable ones for me, since BK just appeared out of nowhere and my units had to flee for their lives ).

• 1 month later...

My first game was FE11. I got killed by Ch7 reinforcements, threw everyone off, didn't know that villages exist and thought Lorenz can survive Camus easily because he's a general. I also only used Iron weapons on my generics. I also assumed that Ch6 is the last one because it's called Fire Emblem. This on normal mode. Thought the lowest option is bad? I was worse :]

Edited by Gradivus.

On my first playthrough I managed to survive until Cog of Destiny (Linus). I rarely restarted when I lost units because I just wanted to get on with the story. I don't think I've recruited any enemy units that playthrough (not permanently at least). Guy and Raven died at least. Never recruited Priscilla or even encountered Canas either.

So I ended up with only 8 units left: the lords, Marcus, Pent, Louise, Karel and Dart. Dart was still at base, so he was basically destined to die that chapter. The lords were still unpromoted, because it was only then that I realised that I could use the Heaven Seals on Lyn and Hector. I didn't know I could that in the battle preparations, so I'd always waste the first turn promoting them.

I relied mostly on Marcus that chapter. I believe he was level 15. Lyn and Hector were decent I guess, I don't really remember. Karel would end up dying a number of times. Pent was good, but of course he left whenever Louise died, and I'd be screwed. Eliwood was actually incredibly amazing for a level 15 unpromoted lord, although that might have something to do with having bias towards him (he got the Afa Drops and probably a number of stat boosters. I think he actually performed better than Lyn and Hector that chapter (both at 20/1).

I don't know how many times I've attempted, but during the most fruitful attempts, things would go smoothly until Vaida would show up. Even if Eliwood managed to recruit her, he'd eventually fall against the wyvern riders. So I eventually gave up, until I got stuck at the final chapter on my 2nd playthough because of goddamn Lloyd and Linus. I don't remember if I did another playthrough or eventually managed to win through another strategy.

My first game was FE 7 when it was released in europe. I also heavily relied on Marcus and he got to level 20 I think on the first KIshuna chapter... xD

I saw that it didn't really work out and restarted the game, this time no relying on him. I think I recruited everyone I could, but I am not completely sure about that. I never let anyone die (well, I did play some SRPGs before, mainly Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandal Hearts and Legend of Kartia for the PS 1) but I just couldn't beat the final chapter without one person dead. So I ended my very first playthrough of my very first Fire Emblem game with a dead Dorcas in the final chapter. :(

I am much better nowadays, but I still think I haven't beaten any of the games on hard mode (for the simply reason that I rarely replay games - and stuff like FE 8 has 2 routes and in FE 7 you have to play all modes on normal first). I will most likely tackel FE 7 and 8 again for the simply reason that I bough both on my Wii U. And will try out some stuff, like FE 8 girls only Eirika run. xD