Current member list:

SeverIan

General Horace

Raven

Phoenix Wright

Knight

Wen Yang

Ranoa

Together, we are the confirmed heavies of SF.

at 190ish I outweigh a lot of others and eat plenty of meat

I WANT IN

165 cm and 47~48 kilograms

With the american system, it's something like 5'5 and 105 pounds

I should really gain some weight

165 cm., 47.6 kg

(that's 5'5", 105 lb. for those in the US. . .and I am pissed because I'm too light to donate blood)

I knew it was bound to happen. . .

welcome to The Big Dick Club.

Current member list:

SeverIan

General Horace

Raven

Phoenix Wright

Knight

Wen Yang

Ranoa

Together, we are the confirmed heavies of SF.

*Heavy cavalry

How did I miss this post?

I don't know portugese but I know portugese's ancestor and trust me I'd rather Latin than English if I were fluent enough in Latin

well, I know BOTH portuguese and english, and while I can't talk about latin, portuguese grammar is a mess

Just look at this shit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_verb_conjugation

"Portuguese verbs display a high degree of inflection. A typical regular verb has over fifty different forms, expressing up to six different grammatical tenses and three moods."

I've never seen someone who wasn't raised in a country which has portuguese as its national language being able to pass as someone who has it as their first language

That said, I tried learning spanish as a third language and found it way harder than english, even though it's so similar to portuguese

Edited by Nobody

Looking at the list, I've never heard of this preterite tense, is it similar to present perfect, or....? All the other tenses are pretty familiar Latin did wonders on hammering grammatical constructs into my head lol

Moods and voices are also present in Latin as far as I remember, so it's probably not far off in the number of verb forms honestly

Thing with Latin that makes me prefer it over English is it's regularity, there's only 6 irregulars and all of them are taught during my first year learning them so I guess there's that. I have no idea how many irregulars there are in Portuguese, are there a lot?

One thing I've been meaning to ask Portuguese speakers though

Do you guys have noun declensions and cases? Every other Romance language I know enough of don't have them anymore other than the base in Latin.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Looking at the list, I've never heard of this preterite tense, is it similar to present perfect, or....? All the other tenses are pretty familiar Latin did wonders on hammering grammatical constructs into my head lol

Moods and voices are also present in Latin as far as I remember, so it's probably not far off in the number of verb forms honestly

One thing I've been meaning to ask Portuguese speakers though

Do you guys have noun declensions and cases? Every other Romance language I know enough of don't have them anymore other than the base in Latin.

"preterite" is the past tense

We still have both.

Thing with Latin that makes me prefer it over English is it's regularity, there's only 6 irregulars and all of them are taught during my first year learning them so I guess there's that. I have no idea how many irregulars there are in Portuguese, are there a lot?

Oh yeah, there are many irregular verbs in portuguese. Even more than in english, from what I've seen. And then it gets messy, because you have to remember all their 50 or so different forms for grammar tests, for example (though you won't use many of them while speaking or writing), which is where my dislike for portuguese grammar comes from.

Edited by Nobody

Ah yeah, the declensions thing can get complicated (thanks neuter plural being the same as first declension nominative singular)

I'm a weirdo who likes them though because then I can just ignore sentence structure entirely and put words whereever I think it sounds nice or at least that's how it worked in Latin (whereas I actually get confused about word order at times in Italian which I'm studying now despite it being, for all intents and purposes, an easier language), is there a stricter structure in Portuguese?

Edited by Thor Odinson

Ah yeah, the declensions thing can get complicated (thanks neuter plural being the same as first declension nominative singular)

I'm a weirdo who likes them though because then I can just ignore sentence structure entirely and put words whereever I think it sounds nice or at least that's how it worked in Latin (whereas I actually get confused about word order at times in Italian which I'm studying now despite it being, for all intents and purposes, an easier language), is there a stricter structure in Portuguese?

I don't know latin to compare, but if it's how I'm thinking, yeah, portuguese would be stricter. While you can change the order of the words (but not in any way), it kind of sounds odd if the sentence is not written in a specific way.

oh, and I kind of mixed up things on your last question. We do have noun declensions, but we don't have noun cases

Ah ok. Yeah the cases are what leads to having freedom in sentence structures, since each case would signify the meaning a word has in a sentence anyway making words having specific places in a sentence obsolete. On the other hand it is more memorisation, so...

There's some loose guidelines I guess and a few rules (certain words cannot start a sentence, but I don't remember which) in Latin, but usually it's just a free-for-all especially in poetry.

If you think english is terrible and doesn't make sense, you should try learning portuguese

You wouldn't complain about english ever again

Try Danish. Two grammatical genders, and absolutely no rules for what is what, very big difference between spoken and written language, and a word (lyst) which can be pronounced in three different ways depending on whether it means "light", "has lit" or "wants to".