• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

...thanks! I've managed to beat Rin now (just barely), and I've made it to Needle Mountain of Former Hell in one continue before.

Now I need help on Utsuho. Stage 6 by itself is pretty easy (if I don't screw up), and Utsuho's first non-spell is trivial, but then I get destroyed.

Also, on one of my runs I managed to capture Storm on Mt Ooe and Unnatural Phenomenon (at 1 power) because I thought that I wouldn't beat Yuugi and decided to try just for fun. (I did)

Okuu help, eh?

[spoiler=Okuuuu]For her first three spells (and maybe fourth too), it would be helpful to know the hitbox of the suns. The darker red glow around the suns is not part of the hitbox. In fact, even the boundary of the circle isn't part of the hitbox. The complete hitbox of the sun is a circle that ends very close to the boundary of the visible circle. Except for the Fixed Star safeline (see below), you should generally just avoid touching the visible circle. Don't mind the darker red glow; it's perfectly safe.

Nonspell #1 - FREE GRAZE

Nuclear Fusion - The suns are aimed at you, so after a sun is generated, you have to move to the gap between suns while dodging the blue bullets. Depend on your shot type, I'd suggest either a) alternating between sitting under Okuu and sitting on one of the sides, or b) stay under Okuu, and misdirect the suns to one of the sides right before they're generated

Nonspell #2 - If you're using MarisaA/B, use the spread option while Okuu flies around. Do not sit at the absolute bottom. Stay a little below the center and dodge the bullets. Try to find spaces where you have more movement freedom, to help you deal with the next bullets. The bubbles are aimed, so just stream them slowly.

Mega Flare - I hate this spell, seriously. If you're using ReimuC/MarisaB, I'd suggest planned bombskipping. Again don't sit at the absolute bottom, but stay a bit higher up. Watch the bullets and try to find a safe place to dodge. Try not to get too close to a sun unless you're confident that it would shrink sufficiently by the time it reaches you. There will always be a safe path for you to dodge that does not involve horizontally crossing half of the screen's width. But be prepared to bomb since finding the safe path and following it isn't always easy. This is also an endurance spell i.e. you don't really get any rest, so you may want to bomb if it starts wearing you out. Try to clear this quickly... well, as quickly as Okuu's gargantuan HP would allow you to do so

Nonspell #3 - MOAR GRAZE

Fixed Star - I'd suggest finding the safeline for this spell. There is a tiny gap between the inner sun orbit and the outer sun orbit. Finding that gap in the lower-center allows you to dodge the yellow bullets with pure horizontal movements without worrying about the suns at all. Note that you may find yourself touching the visible circle boundary of the sun, but this is perfectly fine.

If you have issues with finding the safeline, you would then have to alternate between dodging in the inner orbit and in the outer orbit, whichever one doesn't have a sun coming at you at the time. You might need to practice a bit until you get the pattern down.

Nonspell #4 - Harder version of #2. I'll stress even further that you should try to find space for you to move in instead of being satisfied with dodging only. Also, the bubbles may overlap with the other bullets and obscure them from your vision, so be careful about that and try to look around you to learn where the bullets are instead of focusing on your character only.

Heaven & Hell Meltdown - In my experience (which isn't a lot, because it's a PLANNED BOMBSKIP with my preferred MarisaB), the best place to dodge this is in the right or the left of the center, but not close to the edges. Like, if you split the screen into five vertical bars, I'd suggest staying in the second or fourth bar only. In those areas, you have some freedom with vertical movement. So if you observe and determine that the bullets might overlap in evil ways, you can go ahead and intercept one side of bullets and dodge them first. The center lacks that freedom, but the bullets in the center are more vertical, so they might be easier to dodge.

Hell's Artificial Sun - Heh, besides the Fixed Star safeline, I'd say that Okuu's easiest spell is her final spell. What a surprise. I'd rather not spoil the mechanics of this spell (because it's awesome) but I'll try to help. Phase 1 is for you to get accustomed to the spell. Don't panic, don't bomb, stay calm. Focus on being as far from Okuu as you can afford to be without risking bumping into an invisible bullet. Just keep backing out, avoid the bullets, and you'll quickly get the hang of the spell.

Phase 2 is when the actual spell starts. This time you also need to dodge the white bullets that are spread around. Find reliable gaps in them, reposition yourself accordingly, and let the bullets pass by you. Avoid trying to actively slip through them. Note that since the bullets spread out, the gaps would be larger by the time they reach you. But you should still stick to larger gaps anyway since you might be too tense for accurate precision.

Phase 3 is the same as Phase 2 but the white bullets are a lot more denser. The approach is the same, but it may be harder to find gaps, and you may be forced to move more than you'd expect in order to dodge the white bullets. Don't be afraid to bomb here, this is the toughest phase imo, and requires quick precise micrododging.

Finally, Phase 4 goes really fast, but the bullets gaps are also much bigger. For both the red and the white bullets. This time it's no longer about precise micrododging and is focused on reacting quickly. Again, make sure you stay as far away from Okuu as possible. Even when she explodes, make sure you keep trying to back out and dodge bullets. Don't rest until it's all over.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=36159

Yay?

I didn't think I would 1cc XD

Whoa, SA Easy 1cc! SA is the toughest standard danmaku Touhou game imo, so this is quite an achievement. Congratulations!

I should try to 1cc IN on normal, even if it will take me a billion tries.

I'd suggest Netherworld Team btw. Hold Shift to skip stages. Border Team isn't too bad either. As much as you may love Sakuya, I wouldn't really recommend SDM Team unless you're really good with it.

IN Normal gives plenty of resources. You'll do fine.

Indeed. Especially if you increase your starting lives.

Tbh my biggest problem with IN Normal (with Remilia solo) is I make a lot of dumb mistakes.

...why would you try Remilia Solo? Sakuya's spread is pretty useful for generic enemies. Remilia also can't hurt familiars, which can be really useful sometimes (Fire Rat's Robe, Astronomical Entombing, Rainbow Danmaku, etc).

I'll keep at it, I guess. I'll also have to work on dying on easy bits (e.g. Blazing Wheel). I also have a problem with Fixed Star, where I have a tendency to follow the spiral and move right instead.

In the meantime, I've gotten to Mega Flare (no continues) and Hell and Heaven Meltdown (with continues).

The good thing with SA is that the continue mechanic really forces you to get better at the stage, much like EoSD practice mode.

EDIT:

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=36173

Edited by Iceflare

• 2 weeks later...

Well just got my EOSD easy "1cc", on my second try(ran into one of cirno's bullets on first try by accident so restarted). Was pretty easy I guess. I feel i've gotten better to adapting to random patterns.

2 death's unfortunately although one of them was due to me not paying attention >_>

I guess the cool thing is though that I got this 1cc on my second try when I hadn't played this in months.

Edited by Junk

annnnnnd I captured all MoF Normal spellcards and 1cced SA Normal again today

SA Normal was threatening? When?

whee I'm on a roll

yay! definitely want to watch this. To go from watching you struggling to 1cc ufo normal to 1ccing hard mode ufo is great.

Improvement, Enoshima-san. Improvement. c:

I find UFO Normal a joke now and UFO Hard is pretty much memorized in my head now.

annnnnnd I captured all MoF Normal spellcards and 1cced SA Normal again today

SA Normal was threatening? When?

whee I'm on a roll

Improvement, Enoshima-san. Improvement. c:

I find UFO Normal a joke now and UFO Hard is pretty much memorized in my head now.

Swear your days are filled with Touhou xD

Meanwhile still stuck on Hard Yuyuko and Hard Remilia, RIP. Also Koishi is really strong.

I remember when I was having a great run on Story and then (presumably) my emulator glitched and stopped erasing bullets in the bottom half of the screen.

SO0aTvt.png

makes it kind of difficult to dodge.

Well, this just happened to me while fighting Mugetsu:

9YGySg9.png

(also, it's interesting how similar the attack patterns are)

Swear your days are filled with Touhou xD

Meanwhile still stuck on Hard Yuyuko and Hard Remilia, RIP. Also Koishi is really strong.

Beat Yuyuko-sama already.

oshit that reminds me