• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

so i decided to give sakuya(A) and normal mode in PCB a try

this shot is love <3

the bomb is okay i guess, nothing special, but having more available due to being sakuya already helps i guess???

not much to comment on first three stages other than being pretty easy except for maybe one of alice's spells???

fuck

stage

the stage itself was already hell, but primsivers also decide to slaughter me (i think when i can have a part that depends on who i damage most it was the white one)

stage 5 wasn't that bad, but youmu was still a bit of a pain and continues having her non-spells much harder than her spells imo

yuyuko wasn't that bad i guess used a few bombs, but aside from Resurrection butterfly everything seems manageable

on another note, i didn't notice i was playing with 5 starting lives until after i beat alice :awesome:

so i decided to give sakuya(A) and normal mode in PCB a try

this shot is love <3

Yeah, she's really good if you're not overly concerned about score.

the bomb is okay i guess, nothing special, but having more available due to being sakuya already helps i guess???

4 bombs per life makes a huge difference if you actually make use of all of them. Sakuya can bomb literally every single non-spell and spellcard in the game in one run and still 1cc it. xD

fuck

stage

the stage itself was already hell, but primsivers also decide to slaughter me (i think when i can have a part that depends on who i damage most it was the white one)

Yeah, PCB easily has the hardest (and longest) Stage 4 in the series, and the Prismrivers are probably the toughest Stage 4 bosses on Normal, too.

(On Hard/Lunatic, however, the Prismrivers don't really get much of a boost, whereas people like MAX Rank Patchouli and some Satori types become a royal pain in the ass.)

but youmu was still a bit of a pain and continues having her non-spells much harder than her spells imo

In the early Windows era, a lot of non-spells are actually tougher than spellcards imo (especially since bombing doesn't do much to them), but I agree that Youmu stands out. It doesn't help that she uses the same damn non-spell in all three of her appearances. xD

but aside from Resurrection butterfly everything seems manageable

Resurrection Butterfly isn't exactly difficult, but it's easy to screw up for two reasons: the very long time limit and the fact that all the items that spawn are likely to distract you. I know I always try to get as many of the items as I can to get more borders and/or the 1200 point item Extend, mess up going back in line, and end up getting hit in a really stupid way. xD

In the early Windows era, a lot of non-spells are actually tougher than spellcards imo (especially since bombing doesn't do much to them), but I agree that Youmu stands out. It doesn't help that she uses the same damn non-spell in all three of her appearances. xD

Resurrection Butterfly isn't exactly difficult, but it's easy to screw up for two reasons: the very long time limit and the fact that all the items that spawn are likely to distract you. I know I always try to get as many of the items as I can to get more borders and/or the 1200 point item Extend, mess up going back in line, and end up getting hit in a really stupid way. xD

hmm, i guess cirno and maybe patchy too, but i don't really see that much tbh :s

i think it's because the time slowing helps more than it should

that's exactly it' such a pain ;~;

should've been optional like Hourai elixir

Hey Bal, you know that bullet I ran into against Alice? I did that on purpose.

Oh. I'm bad at picking up on that. Like, even if I'm watching a HSing run, I'll be... wait, was that an accident? How is this beneficial? So, yeah... sorry.

so i tried pcb sakuyaB, not very fond of it, tbh

She takes some getting used to, but she's as about as good as SakuyaA when mastered, while at the same time being vastly better for scoring.

also just now noticed there's two bombs, a focused and an unfocused in this game >_>

Yeah, but the unfocused ones are almost all universally worse than their focused counterparts. They reduce your Cherry marginally less when used, but also do significantly less damage and give you a lot less invincibility frames. xD

She takes some getting used to, but she's as about as good as SakuyaA when mastered, while at the same time being vastly better for scoring

what exactly makes the difference in score? doesn't seem to be anything much obvious

Yeah, but the unfocused ones are almost all universally worse than their focused counterparts. They reduce your Cherry marginally less when used, but also do significantly less damage and give you a lot less invincibility frames. xD

hmm, I dunno, if you just want a quick screen clear or something I think they could be better?

btw is there anything that could serve as visual ad to determine the graze hitbox in the games? @_@

what exactly makes the difference in score? doesn't seem to be anything much obvious

SakuyaB's gains Cherry for hitting enemies and bosses a lot faster than SakuyaA does. In fact, SakuyaA is the worst shot type in that regard.

hmm, I dunno, if you just want a quick screen clear or something I think they could be better?

Not really. xD

btw is there anything that could serve as visual ad to determine the graze hitbox in the games? @_@

It's roughly the size of your character's sprite in most games, in most cases extending slightly outwards to the sides. Also, particularly in the later games, the size of a character's hitbox also affects the size of their grazebox - meaning that while Reimu has an easier time dodging tight patterns, she also needs to be a lot closer to bullets and especially lasers to receive Graze. Outside of PCB (where Sakuya takes that spot), Marisa generally has the largest hitbox, but also the largest grazebox. This is most notable when you're trying to graze lasers.

SakuyaB's gains Cherry for hitting enemies and bosses a lot faster than SakuyaA does. In fact, SakuyaA is the worst shot type in that regard.

uhh, I see

I guess it SakuyaA should suffice if I'm only trying to 1cc

Not really. xD

@_@

It's roughly the size of your character's sprite in most games, in most cases extending slightly outwards to the sides. Also, particularly in the later games, the size of a character's hitbox also affects the size of their grazebox - meaning that while Reimu has an easier time dodging tight patterns, she also needs to be a lot closer to bullets and especially lasers to receive Graze. Outside of PCB (where Sakuya takes that spot), Marisa generally has the largest hitbox, but also the largest grazebox. This is most notable when you're trying to graze lasers.

I see

Also, what about Scarlet Team in IN? Aren't they supposed to have a lager graze hitbox than the other shots too?

uhh, I see

I guess it SakuyaA should suffice if I'm only trying to 1cc

Yup. As far as survival is concerned, gaining less Cherry only means you'll get slightly less Borders (which can soak up a hit or act as a free bomb).

Interestingly, this makes MarisaA actually a pretty good shot type for survival despite the fact that she only gets 2 bombs per life.

Also, what about Scarlet Team in IN? Aren't they supposed to have a lager graze hitbox than the other shots too?

Oh, yeah, they do, but the difference compared to the other shot types is a lot smaller than in the other games. You'll want to pick the Scarlet Team mainly for the slower item drop speed and Remilia's ridiculously overpowered shot.

so i tried pcb sakuyaB, not very fond of it, tbh

She takes some getting used to, but she's as about as good as SakuyaA when mastered, while at the same time being vastly better for scoring.

Her focused fire is on the higher end of the scale, imo, both focused but especially unfocused. Unlike say Reimu B though, she doesn't sacrifice for spread, however. Need to clear an enemy on the other side of the map? It's as simple as starting to move in that direction (and optionally focusing to lock it there). Unlike most spreads, hers is more easily controlled too, so if you don't want to kill some enemies until they're lower on the screen for some reason, you have that option, while still being able to kill others. SakuyaA is just hilariously weak (against single target) unfocused, with corresponding terrible cherry gain, as I'm pretty sure it's directly correlated to bullet density impacting an enemy, and much of your time you'll be fighting a boss, and the huge spread will be mostly wasted unless you're doing extremely risky shotgun shenanigans. If you focus to take advantage of her homing, you just cut your total potential gain by a factor of ten, roughly. And less Cherry means less Borders (free bombs/invinciblity/autocollecting point extends for survival purposes, or just juicy score for score runs). Sakuya's speeds feel like a nice blend of speeds, not too slow unfocused, not too fast focused, and her Cherry penalty for death is the most lenient, so as someone who dies a lot, I find that rather appealing. Granted, I don't think I've seriously tried MarisaA in a long time, but I just couldn't appreciate Reimu after Sakuya.

also just now noticed there's two bombs, a focused and an unfocused in this game >_>

I was going to disagree with you, Scarlet, but can only really contest 1.5 cases out of six, so your statement is on the whole very defensible. I also might just be biased to hate Duplex Barrier, and in-Stage Master Sparks, so there is that.

In completely unrelated news

[spoiler=deliciously and responsibly]dPya3GV.jpg

Oh Zun, you... xD

Another Rumia! Is the army of darkness invading? :V

Her focused fire is on the higher end of the scale, imo, both focused but especially unfocused.

Agreed, SakuyaB's unfocused shot might just be the best in PCB.

and the huge spread will be mostly wasted unless you're doing extremely risky shotgun shenanigans.

I'm pretty sure that SakuyaA's unfocused spread is absurd to the point where she cannot possibly get all of her shots to hit the same target unless she is invincible and sits right on top of it, or her target is called Yuyuko and is currently using her magical fan thingie.

but I just couldn't appreciate Reimu after Sakuya.

Really the only reason to pick Reimu over anyone else in PCB is for the generous deathbombing interval (15 frames as opposed to the usual 6 or 8), the low Cherry penalty for bombing compared to other characters, or for her slow movement speed.

I was going to disagree with you, Scarlet, but can only really contest 1.5 cases out of six, so your statement is on the whole very defensible. I also might just be biased to hate Duplex Barrier, and in-Stage Master Sparks, so there is that.

Duplex Barrier sucks, but Evil-sealing Circle isn't much better. In fact, ReimuB is also the only instance where the Cherry penalty for bombing unfocused is greater than the penalty for bombing focused. xD

As for Non-directional Laser vs. Master Spark... If you're willingly picking MarisaB for any reason other than Master Spark, you're doing it wrong

Granted, IIRC Non-directional Laser doesn't slow you down, but the only instance where this would matter is if you wanted to go above the PoC while bombing. This is disregarding the fact that in PCB, you can most of the time easily just be above the PoC to begin with and then just pop a Master Spark anyway (for the greatly extended invincibility, if nothing else), and that if you care about score, you really shouldn't be playing as MarisaB. :V

man

i got to stage 6 with three displayed lives without the 1000 extend and just screwed up yuyuko's fight so much ;n;

sakuya shouldn't be in games because there's no point in using anyone else when she is :v

Edited by Blagi