It's Amiibo time

Robinigo

According to pictures taken at the Smash Wii U event on October 24th, the quality of the Amiibos is not quite what it was originally promised to be, a couple of examples:

Link

Promised quality at announcement IMG_20141026_103035_zpss3cvkvso.jpg

Quality as of 10/24 IMG_20141026_103037_zpsm84y1z2x.jpg

Peach

IMG_20141026_103044_zpswie26aci.jpg

I'm a little disappointed, but I'm still thinking of getting the Robin one when it inevitably gets released, it's sad to see such a promising project not be the highest quality it could be

Edited by Spiky

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who collects a lot of figures this does not surprise me one bit.

They never said promised quality. The description on those prototype figures always says that the "prototype may look different from the final design". The issue with the Smash Bros Amiibos designs is that they took the official art and slapped it on to a figure hoping that the molds they set will look good. Unfortunately that's not the case here. The reason why the Disney Infinite or Skylanders looks so good is because they abstracted the designs to the point where even bad quality control will make the figure look good. They did a really good job at researching and quality controlling these kind of designs.

Human characters are going to be the hardest one to reproduce. Which is why human characters will look god awful compared to the non-human characters like kirby and donkey kong since the molds aren't going to be completely perfect. With these mass productions Nintendo will obviously go for the cheaper route rather than paying fewer more millions for quality control. Don't get me started on Marth's bent falchion and ugly face.

The funniest part is when the Peach prototype allowed you to see her panties and in the final product, it's been voided.

I'm only gonna pick up Mario since it's the only one that actually looks good.

Isn't it possible that the "recent" images you're showing are bootlegs or something?

They aren't they are the final ones that they are gonna mass distribute. Those photos are from the smash wii u event held two or so days ago.

Edited by kingddd

Marth doesn't look that bad to me...

Maybe Ike will look decent enough after all. :o

I don't think Peach looks bad either. But that Link, ugh, why his head facing down now? And what's that yellow thing? o.O

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, link got really messed up. I'm guessing they regretted the jumping pose, as they tilted him so his foot is touching the base now.

Though the yellow support is incredibly baffling. A clear one would be perfectly acceptable?

No, I mean that big yellow cylinder thing that looks like a Jolly Rancher. ;/

They were making a joke that it is piss.

Edited by L95

Wait, that's the support stand? Wtf, I assumed it was a Jolly Rancher for size comparison. The base for Link's figure looks different than the others too. He's the one that's truly messed up.

None of these look /too/ bad to me besides Link. Which is fine by me, since Tink>Link anyway imo. How about I only buy my mains and let hackers figure out how to recreate an amiibo and use that for the rest!

Edited by Blyvern

Ouch, I shouldn't have expected so much, but it's hard when Nintendo and the press keep shoving the superior prototypes in our face.

Man, I should have robbed a prototype Amiibo when they were on display. Oh, but I didn't have a hammer with me...

Edited by VincentASM

Clearly so many superior quality ones can't be mass produced all at once. I was a bit concerned that the prototypes weren't sturdy, but I'm actually surprised they took the time to do just that.

after seeing how marth's falchion is molded without the sticking-out points individually in the prototype images from e3, i figured they were making a point of sacrificing form and detail in favour of ensuring resilience and that they don't break anywhere near as easily. even so, between this and the inability of amiibo to act as a quick and easy way of carrying character settings for one to play on other consoles, i can't say things are looking bright for the amiibo line

who am i kidding i'm doomed to end up buying the ness, greninja, marth and falcon ones anyway

Edited by bookofholsety

Good point with the durability factor. It seems like Nintendo is marketing this as something you want to take places with you, so they probably designed them to take a beating.

That being said, I don't think the quality is bad at all for what it is.

I'll probably end up just having my amiibos sitting on a shelf, acting as my collection, rather than what they're supposed to be used for.

After looking back at the Peach amiibo, it really isn't all TOO bad, but the face could be better. The dress looks boxy, but that was also the case in the "perfect" version, so THAT I'm okay with. When the Zelda amiibo is to be released, I'll make sure to get my hands on it as soon as possible!

I also can't wait to get my hands on Ike and Luigi! Imo, it's pretty hard to screw up RD Ike's sexiness, so I'm going to think he'll look decent enough. Luigi can't be that hard to screw up either what with his bro looking pretty good.