Kirby: Triple Deluxe Review

Zera

Greetings, folks. Today I am here to review Kirby: Triple Deluxe, but before I do, I would like to show you IGN's reviled review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-LcFBP9LCs

No. Just no. That is NOT how you review a Kirby game. For three specific reasons -

1. There are many things besides challenge that make a game fun. Try googling "8 kinds of fun" to see what I mean. (sarcasm) Let's not talk about graphics, music, or level design at all. Just bash the difficulty level for three minutes straight, because that's what viewers want (/sarcasm).

2. Being accessible is the entire point of the Kirby series. Why would you criticize the literal selling point? I could understand, if it were easy enough to put Kirby's Epic Yarn to shame, but... it isn't.

3. There is an entire demographic of people who specifically like easy games. In fact, they're not even necessarily the same people that hate hard games. Take me, for example. I beat the Story Mode of F-Zero GX on Very Hard difficulty, and now I have no soul. Despite not having a soul, I can still enjoy a Kirby game for what it is and not what I want it to be (I would like to see a super hard Kirby game though. That'd be awesome.)

And so, I will provide a fairer review for Kirby: Triple Deluxe. I will only deduct points for things that objectively suck.

So... What is Kirby: Triple Deluxe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG-FfvIS-kI

At first glance, it appears to be a giant portable level-pack for Kirby's Return to Dreamland - which is fine with me. I for one loved that game, and had it not been so short I would have easily given it a 10/10. The moment this game was revealed in the 10.1.2013 Nintendo Direct, I knew I was gonna like it. Indeed, I positively INHALED it (pun intended). Unfortunately, "inhaled" is also a great way to describe the length. With only six worlds, the Story Mode only lasts about ten hours, give or take a couple depending on your skill level. This game has six modes, which I will detail separately.

Presentation: This game looks extremely good, with detailed environments, vivid use of color, and smooth animations. The soundtrack is also excellent, with a slew of new music as well as classic Kirby tunes, some remixed and some left intact. I particularly like the new boss music.

Story Mode: This is easily the largest mode. Despite what the title may imply, the intro cutscene is all the story until the endgame. You play through levels as Kirby, one of the most overpowered characters in existence. In addition to running and jumping, Kirby can also fly. In other words, if you die via bottomless pit then you suck - really badly. But that's okay, as lives are easy to acquire and the only penalty for dying is restarting the room with a full health bar. Having a health bar not only lets Kirby take multiple hits, but it also means enemy attacks vary in damage, avoiding the issue of MASSIVE boss attacks that are no more effective than normal attacks.

Kirby can also inhale enemies. After inhaling an enemy, you can spit it out as a star that deals large damage, or swallow it to copy its ability. There are over 20 copy abilities, and each one feels unique. Some have lots of moves (like Sword), while others have just a few versatile moves (like Stone). Sometimes you'll find mini-puzzle-rooms where you'll need a specific copy ability, but you can play the game without them if you hate fun. There are also a few new ones - Bell, Beetle, Archer, and Circus.

While most games start easy and get harder over time, Kirby: Triple Deluxe starts as a piece of cake and gets slightly less cake over time. It might be tougher if you try to find all the collectibles though. If you collect all the Sunstones in a world, you will unlock a tougher extra level for that world. There are also Keychains, which can be found in levels or bought with 3DS Play Coins. You can also get one by winning the goal game at the end of a level or Streetpassing someone with this game. Each Keychain represents a sprite from a classic Kirby game, and there are 256 in total. There is one golden Rare Keychain unique to each level, and these are the toughest items to find.

Every once in a while you'll find a Miracle Fruit that grants the Hypernova ablility. It looks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZDQ5Shal0k

Hypernova seems to be a replacement of the Super Abilities in Return to Dreamland. These sections are fun, but because they are both easy and scripted, their replay value is fairly low.

Kirby Fighters: This mode lets you and up to three friends battle each other up as different colored Kirbys with copy abilities. Truth be told, I honestly wonder why they didn't come up with this idea sooner. There are 10 copy abilities you can use in this mode, as well as download play. One rather asinine aspect is that players who don't own the game get Sword, Cutter, and absolutely nothing else. This is an effort to sell more copies of the game, but since most players would rather play Super Smash Bros for 3DS anyways, it will backfire miserably. There's also a solo mode, but the computers aren't very fun to fight because they act like bots. Most attacks have little end lag, and computers will abuse this on Very Hard difficulty.

Dedede's Drum Dash: This is a unique rhythm-platforming minigame where you play as King Dedede. There are a grand, whopping total of FOUR levels, and the difficulty curve is quite steep.The goal is simple: bounce on drums to the right while collecting coins and avoiding enemies. In practice, however, things are a lot trickier, especially if you want gold or platinum medals. The coins aren't always in obvious patterns; sometimes you have to stop moving or even move backwards to collect all of them. Combine this with a limited view of what's in front of you, clouds that can obscure coins, and drums that can permanently break, and ultimately getting a high score is a matter of trial and error. If I want trial and error, I'll just play F-Zero GX's Story Mode, thank you very much. This mode is a decent extra, but I wouldn't pay money for it. If you enjoy this mode I would also recommend you check out Bit. Trip Runner 2 and Harmo Knight, which are basically the same thing but better.

Dededetour: A more challenging version of Story Mode where you play as King Dedede, who behaves like a souped up Hammer Kirby. Some enemies are faster or bigger, and there are less health pickups, but the most noticeable difficulty increase is from tougher bosses. Instead of searching for Sunstones you will seek portals that act as shortcuts. The game will keep track of your best time for each world as well as the entire game. Unfortunately, there is no way to skip to a particular world. If you want to improve your time in world 5, for instance, your only option is to hit New Game and play worlds 1-4 first. Also, there are no online leaderboards, which makes the time trial feature ultimately pointless.

The Arena: This is a boss rush for the bosses of Story Mode. In between fights you have a limited supply of Maxim Tomatoes (100% heal). You can also get more Keychains in this mode.

The True Arena: This is a boss rush for the bosses of Dededetour, with a couple extra bosses at the end. This is definitely the toughest mode in the game, and the Maxim Tomatoes are replaced by regular tomatoes (40% heal).

Conclusion (TLDR): Kirby: Triple Deluxe is tons of fun, but the game is a bit short and the extra modes don't live up to their full potential. If you're a Kirby fan, especially one that liked Kirby's Return to Dreamland, this game is an easy recommendation. If you've never played a Kirby game before, this is a great one to start with.

8/10 Great!

Edited by Zera

I like how it has a 2 way world like donkey kong country games.The key chains were fun to find and see what you get, kirby fighters was one of my most loved mini games. Hypernova gave you that awesome feeling that "Im fucking kirby super saiyan" feeling.IGN,whoever e made that review, fire him

Edited by BlazeX635

I like how it has a 2 way world like donkey kong country games.The key chains were fun to find and see what you get, kirby fighters was one of my most loved mini games. Hypernova gave you that awesome feeling that "Im fucking kirby super saiyan" feeling.IGN,whoever e made that review, fire him

If you pay attention to the IGN's video, you'll see that the review was done by Jose Otero.

Because soulless mages are mad, I now present EVERY IGN review score of a Kirby game!

Kirby's Adventure (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 9.5

Kirby's Pinball Land / Steve Averett / 8.0

Kirby's Dream Course (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 7.5

Kirby's Avalanche (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 7.5

Kirby's Dreamland 3 (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 7.0

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards / Aaron Boulding / 7.9

Kirby's Tilt 'in Tumble / Craig Harris / 9.0

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland / Craig Harris / 8.5

Kirby: Air Ride / Matt Casamassina / 5.2 (Lies)

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror / Craig Harris / 8.0

Kirby: Canvas Curse / Craig Harris / 9.0

Kirby: Squeak Squad / Craig Harris / 7.8

Kirby Super Super Star Ultra / Craig Harris / 7.9

Kirby's Epic Yarn / Craig Harris / 9.0

Kirby: Mass Attack / Audrey Drake / 8.5

Kirby's Return to Dreamland / Richard George / 7.5

Kirby: Triple Deluxe / Jose Otero / 6.0

Edited by Zera

If you pay attention to the IGN's video, you'll see that the review was done by Jose Otero.

Because soulless mages are mad, I now present EVERY IGN review score of a Kirby game!

Kirby's Adventure (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 9.5

Kirby's Pinball Land / Steve Averett / 8.0

Kirby's Dream Course (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 7.5

Kirby's Avalanche (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 7.5

Kirby's Dreamland 3 (Virtual Console) / Lucas M. Thomas / 7.0

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards / Aaron Boulding / 7.9

Kirby's Tilt 'in Tumble / Craig Harris / 9.0

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland / Craig Harris / 8.5

Kirby: Air Ride / Matt Casamassina / 5.2 (Lies)

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror / Craig Harris / 8.0

Kirby: Canvas Curse / Craig Harris / 9.0

Kirby: Squeak Squad / Craig Harris / 7.8

Kirby Super Super Star Ultra / Craig Harris / 7.9

Kirby's Epic Yarn / Craig Harris / 9.0

Kirby: Mass Attack / Audrey Drake / 8.5

Kirby's Return to Dreamland / Richard George / 7.5

Kirby: Triple Deluxe / Jose Otero / 6.0

So apparently, fucking pinball land is better than triple deluxe.Because that makes sense. Wait,Craig Harris is actually giving the spinoff s a better rating than super star ultra?And squeak squad? He does give good ratings, but that just doesn't make sense.Air ride is actually the most UNDERRATED kirby game ever. Were matt and Jose newly hired for that not knowing wtf their games were or something?

(I'd edit your post to remove the quoted table if I were you.)

Matt Casamassina was one of IGN's better reviewers, along with Craig Harris . I was surprised to find that he made the Air Ride review.

My short review:

• Leveldesign is creative especially the puzzles when you're hypernova. The bosses are more challenging than in KRTD, boss in world 5 is pretty tough. However it's pretty short, but it's not a downfall. Every Kirby game is short and easy.
  • Dedede's adventure is only a downgraded version of extramode. A real extramode doesn't exist unfortunately.
  • Minigames are fun. The "mini smash bros." is a great idea and it still makes fun after a few hours. It's also a good training to improve your skills with all the abilities.
  • (True) Arena is fun and challenging
  • Graphics are similar to KRTD. Very colourful and. The 3D-effect is used surprisingly very well. And I like the feature that you have to move your 3DS for a few puzzles.
  • great soundtrack: Masked Dedede, Queen Sectonia and Soul of Sectonia are fantastic. Many old themes mainly from KRTD return.

If this game would have a 100% storymode like in KRTD, I even would prefer it.

Overall it's a typical Kirby platformer: Cozy, colourful and cute. Good game!

Special Secret! If you land on clouds 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 in the goal game, in that order, you'll earn 30 extra lives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obUk3xWoAvQ

There are also secret HAL rooms like in most Kirby games. I found the area for the second one, but I didn't know about the hidden door there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qf8H88ewaI

And one more secret! The Jukebox in Sound Test will emit RED or BLUE notes depending on who composed the song!

Tracks with red notes were composed by Jun Ishikawa, while those with blue notes were composed by Hirokazu Ando!

Edited by Zera

9.5 out of 10 for me. Kirby fighters is training for SSB4 for 3ds in essence. Story mode is awesome , and the music is amazing. The true arena is very difficult for me just like KSSU. Speaking of kirby , im a big fan of mario and kirby

Kirby Fighters isn't that much like SSB4. Dodges are slow and barely move you any distance, making blocking much more important, and most attacks have little to no endlag, making Kirby Fighters a much more aggressive game than SSB4.

If you're a big fan of Kirby and Mario, I'd also recommend you check out The Legendary Starfy.