Majoras Mask 3D announced!

Ishi

Shes 10 and doesnt scare easily. First time she met a ReDead in OoT3DS was not "Uagh its scary halp!" It was "....how do i kill it? It keeps eating my head."

She'll be fine.

Yeah that seems old enough

For myself, I was super young watching my brother play and there are just certain things in this game that I will always remember that way

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is quite a reasonable gripe, but I think the minor gameplay annoyance the 3 day cycle causes is well worth the expansion it allows for the world of termina with each NPC's on going schedules, and what happens in their lives as well. It makes for a more immersing world, and on the N64 this was the only way they could make a world that feels alive.

I'd add that this will be far less of an issue on the 3DS, since it's a portable. If by any chance you're forced to stop playing without access to a Save point, you can always leave the 3DS on Sleep mode and return to play later.

tumblr_m3lidiksMQ1qhheex.gif

OPERATION FUCKIN' MOONFALL IS SUCCESS! All of the blood, sweat, and tears...IM SO PROUD I CAN BURST INTO LITTLE PIECES OF MISCHIEF!

This is also my reaction, even though I've barely started the original game and haven't picked it up since then.

One of the reasons I didn't like the three day time limit is that it makes saving your game kind of annoying. The only way you can save is by either playing the Song of Time to reset the three days or by using one of the owl statues scattered across Termina. By doing the former, you actually can LOSE some progress that you've made rather than saving it because you're resetting time. And if you use an owl statue, it's not even a permanent save. Think suspend data in FE: Path of Radiance. It saves, but then deletes the save data once you reload the file. If you have to save again in the middle of something, you're forced to backtrack all the way back to an owl statue to save it again (since playing the Song of Time will make you lose almost everything) and you'd have to kind of start over anyway.

The Japanese version was different. The Song of Time was the only form of saving.

And can we all appreciate how gorgeous the box art is? (even though it's the European version)

Majora%27s_Mask_3D_European_Box_Art.png

Well, I am most certainly curious how saving will be handled in the game. I mean, I doubt the fundamental mechanics are going to change but in the original game the ability to slow down time or to quicksave were basically secrets. And that's fairly important stuff to know.

Hmmm, and considering that localisation changes don't always carry over in remakes and that the remake would have less reason for a quick save feature then the original because of sleep mode, I guess there is also the chance that quicksave will be removed entirely.

This is also my reaction, even though I've barely started the original game and haven't picked it up since then.

The Japanese version was different. The Song of Time was the only form of saving.

And can we all appreciate how gorgeous the box art is? (even though it's the European version)

Majora%27s_Mask_3D_European_Box_Art.png

I really hope North America gets that boxart too, it's pretty fantastic.

I really hope North America gets that boxart too, it's pretty fantastic.

That would indeed be great but I don't think that this an realistic expectation, given that there isn't the tiniest bit of gold on it. At best it will probably still get an ugly gold filter like the Wind Waker HD box.

Come to think of it, it's kinda funny how the American boxart from OoT 3D exchanged the colorful boxart of the game with artwork that was taken from the Japanese boxart of the original game... which naturally they didn't use back in the day. By now I almost believe NoA switches the boxart of Zelda games on pure principle.

Edited by BrightBow

The quick save was also a teleportation feature, and I doubt they'd get rid of that

Well, If the remake would end up being based on the original Japanese version, it would still have the owl statues. It's just that they would have no function beyond teleporting.

Yeah, well, imo, I don't find these remakes to be of some of the best Zelda titles. I did always like OoT, but not nearly as much as some other titles, and I did find TWW HD to be an improvement over the original. But I still hated both TWW and MM overall. And OoT just ranks midway in my Zelda list.

So I'm pretty dissatisfied aside from A Link Between Worlds (amazing sequel to ALttP, an actual awesome Zelda). I did get the Four Swords anniversary edition, but I got totally stuck in it. I really need to look up the answer to my problem. xP

I'm sorry these games weren't made with you in mind? Not sure what to tel you here, other than you're just not in the majority on this. Like it or not, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and the Wind Waker are some of the most highly rated games in the series, so it's not exactly surprising that they all get remakes. Giving more people the chance to play these great games is definitely a plus too.

And as good as Four Swords and Minish Cap are, they aren't the most popular choices for remakes, and even then Capcom developed those games, not Nintendo. For them to get remakes Nintendo would have to go to Capcom to ask them for it, but then you run into the problem of the people who worked on the games not being with Capcom anymore, like Keiji Inafune, who was the producer of Minish Cap. Not sure if the development team for Four Swords is still working for Capcom either.

Hey, I posted in here, but I didn't actually post my own reaction to the news.

tumblr_m3lidiksMQ1qhheex.gif

You know that I normally don't like .gifs...but this time, it is officially Red Fox approved!

Hell to the freakin' yes. This game really was ahead of its time when it originally released and is definitely the dark horse of the Zelda series. Some say it was obvious, but I was pretty worried. It's been a while since OoT 3D, and MM originally sold less than half of what OoT did, so it was entirely possible that Nintendo wouldn't consider a remake worth it. And now I don't have to play it on my GC Zelda collection with slow saves and crashes (<- I once lost about two hours of progress because the game crashed on me. That was the last time I played it).

This is a game that I originally was actually not too fond of, but came to really appreciate later on. Was very happy to see this opening the direct.

Zelda 6 over Fire Emblem 6/10

Jk, 6 is the entry number of a lot of great games, DQ, FE, and MM as well. Granted, I would prefer ALttP, since WW was remade and MC, PH, and ST don't need it (the last two would have to redo the controls to take advantage of 3D, anyway.)

Overall, I guess even though it's not my favorite Zelda, but I would consider it one of the most deserving of a remake.

I just hope saving isn't screwed up for a handheld like OoT 3D was.

Overall, hype.

And now I don't have to play it on my GC Zelda collection with slow saves and crashes (<- I once lost about two hours of progress because the game crashed on me. That was the last time I played it).

This is the reason I was always using Song of Time after i completed something major. I'm really looking forward to actually plan things out to use the time efficiently without to be afraid of loosing progress of hours. the last time i played it without that method it crashed after I did the first 2 temples and preparing everything for the 3rd (curse you, you damn zora eggs). And alot of heartpieces and masks aswell... I literally wanted to destroy my Wii in that moment.

Hey, I posted in here, but I didn't actually post my own reaction to the news.

You know that I normally don't like .gifs...but this time, it is officially Red Fox approved!

Hell to the freakin' yes. This game really was ahead of its time when it originally released and is definitely the dark horse of the Zelda series. Some say it was obvious, but I was pretty worried. It's been a while since OoT 3D, and MM originally sold less than half of what OoT did, so it was entirely possible that Nintendo wouldn't consider a remake worth it. And now I don't have to play it on my GC Zelda collection with slow saves and crashes (<- I once lost about two hours of progress because the game crashed on me. That was the last time I played it).

This is a game that I originally was actually not too fond of, but came to really appreciate later on. Was very happy to see this opening the direct.

The crashes is why i havent replayed it in a hella long time. I have the game on the Wii VC, but ive heard it crashes too sometimes. And my N64 is aging really badly, like...Old Cart Console Syndrome where it will just not work sometimes, or freezes up. I havent tried MM on it in years because of how moody my N64 got with Super Mario 64. /shrug

Cube controller for N64 Zelda has always wigged me out for some reason. Playing OoT on the Cube was weirdly uncomfortable. I think its the Ocarina songs and C-stick combo. (Targeting was comfy though)

The kids who got wigged out by Majora's Mask, or didnt like it initially, grew up. And when they grew up, they understood better what the game was all about, and the themes/images discussed in it. Thus, they came to love this game more and more. I was about 19 years old when i first played this game. Not a whole lot of thematic stuff got past me, and i really did appreciate the aesthetic. I came to like the game more when i would replay it and really look at it. MM is my favorite Zelda thematically. ALttP is my favorite of all time, but what MM does with imagery and metaphor is fucking brilliant.

Im so excited to be able to not just experience this game with revamped appearances, but to also experience it with my niece. Watching her play OoT3DS and her going through that game and experiencing the images, Link, Zelda, Sheik, etc, was really a wonderful feeling. But MM...? Its more mature, and tricky to play cuz of the time mechanic. I want to see her face when she first sees DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY. Seeing her experience Kafei and Anju's story, the plight of the Gorons, and Stone Tower Temple. The attack by Them on Romani Ranch...Her question of "Isnt that [insert OoT character here]? Or..." and then having her puzzle out whats really going on in the game.

Its for that reason im so fucking excited about this.

I remember not being a big fan of Majoras Mask back when I first got it. But as I grew older and older I loved it more and more. Until it became my absolute favorite game in the series.

Just the tone, characters and side quests having a lot of meaning. (Kafei/Anju looking at you) just made it feel like an entire world. I often do an interesting challenge before I face off vs Majora

I'll see how many problems at end game I can solve in one cycle, with all the equipment and all the time slowdown tricks.

Edited by Jedi

The kids who got wigged out by Majora's Mask, or didnt like it initially, grew up. And when they grew up, they understood better what the game was all about, and the themes/images discussed in it. Thus, they came to love this game more and more. I was about 19 years old when i first played this game. Not a whole lot of thematic stuff got past me, and i really did appreciate the aesthetic. I came to like the game more when i would replay it and really look at it. MM is my favorite Zelda thematically. ALttP is my favorite of all time, but what MM does with imagery and metaphor is fucking brilliant.

God yes. It's a rare game that can grow up with its audience. I enjoyed the game for its gameplay and dungeon design when I was 10, at 22 I'm completely in love with the aesthetic, atmosphere, and plot because it's all so wonderfully subtle: I don't know if I've played anything else that presented the end of the world in such a subdued way, but it's all so believable, and even the gravity of the plot easy to miss because Link is in no real danger and the details themselves are all in the background. The game flat out gives you the schedules of all of the important NPCs and you can see how they react as time goes on... but unless you're looking specifically for it, you're likely to ignore all of the little touches unless they're tied to gameplay. Once you do though, it feels like there's not a single thing that isn't there for a reason.

Really, it's a coming-of-age story for both Link and the player, and it's almost a shame that the game is remembered for its grim atmosphere instead of its quiet maturity and almost personal touch. You're not the hero because you beat the bad guy - while that's the goal of literally every other game out there, it's only a small part of MM and Link has already done it - you're the hero because you've gone out of your way to improve the lives of everyone you've met, even if there was no reward or recognition for it, and if you've done all of that, what would fighting a monster prove?

I apologize for this bout of fangirling, MM is probably my favorite game.

Majora's Mask is probably my favourite game in the Zelda series, so I'm super excited for this. It's a great excuse to play it all over again, and hopefully without the motion sickness issues I get from the original.

I'm sorry these games weren't made with you in mind? Not sure what to tel you here, other than you're just not in the majority on this. Like it or not, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and the Wind Waker are some of the most highly rated games in the series, so it's not exactly surprising that they all get remakes. Giving more people the chance to play these great games is definitely a plus too.

And as good as Four Swords and Minish Cap are, they aren't the most popular choices for remakes, and even then Capcom developed those games, not Nintendo. For them to get remakes Nintendo would have to go to Capcom to ask them for it, but then you run into the problem of the people who worked on the games not being with Capcom anymore, like Keiji Inafune, who was the producer of Minish Cap. Not sure if the development team for Four Swords is still working for Capcom either.

Um, I know all of this? I'm not surprised that these terrible games were remade either because so many people liked them for whatever reason. Doesn't stop me from being disappointed at these facts.

Also, Nintendo still holds rights to the Four Sword games, as they put TMC on the VC and released a remake of Four Swords on the DSi and 3DS that added a single player mode. I'm glad of this, now I await a brand new title and Nintendo can make it whenever the hell they please.

Um, I know all of this? I'm not surprised that these terrible games were remade either because so many people liked them for whatever reason. Doesn't stop me from being disappointed at these facts.

Also, Nintendo still holds rights to the Four Sword games, as they put TMC on the VC and released a remake of Four Swords on the DSi and 3DS that added a single player mode. I'm glad of this, now I await a brand new title and Nintendo can make it whenever the hell they please.

"These terrible games".

You just love to stir the pot, don't you?

Well, we'll just play our terrible games and you can go away.

Kon said "these great games" so why am I not allowed to convey my own opinion in the same way?

It's considered rude to call things that other people like shit. It's not considered rude to call something that someone else dislikes good.

Edited by Monado Boy

Well, I've seen other people say similar comments to mine on things, but they never get called out for it. Well, unless I call them out myself, but since it seems that they're allowed, I asked myself why shouldn't I be allowed then? But fine, I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself while others let theirs run free.

Edited by Anacybele