Fire Emblem Archanea Chronicles - Fall of the Palace translation patch

js394

BS Fire Emblem Archanean Chronicles

Serenes Forest page -

http://serenesforest.net/general/bs-fire-emblem/

More info and script translations -

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8989

Basically I'm redoing the entire patch (not like there was much to begin with). I'll be focusing on the first chapter right now, but the plan is to eventually move onto the other three.

Compatibility with SNES GT is the priority for this patch; the old one ran on SNESGT and ZSNES but the clock had issues. Rather than fixing it to work with an obsolete emulator I'm just going to make sure it works on SNESGT. Download SNESGT here.

Version 0.5 Download (7/9/16, 10:27 PM EST)

So there's the first "official version". I used the menus from the old patch, I know they're pretty ugly but they'll be improved in the next release; I just wanted to get this one out.

Credit for translation goes to bookofholsety.

What's Done?

- All dialogue (pre-battle quotes, death quotes, etc)

- Menus (they're in rough shape, will be revised soon)

What's Left to Do?

- Reinforcement message

- Adjusting width of letters* (it looks rather ugly right now)

- Item descriptions

- Anything I may have missed

*About the font ~ The game appears to have a VWF built in already for the dialogue font. If this is the case then it is just a matter of finding the width table and adjusting the values accordingly. If anyone has any knowledge as far as FE3 hacking goes and knows how to manipulate the letter widths, please let me know ;): . (FE3 and BSFE share the same engine, so most of the time what's applicable to one is also applicable to the other)

Spoiler

I was going through some of my old files the other day and I found this. A while back I translated some of the BSFE chapter 1 rom. I was meaning to share this at one point but I forgot about it. I went back through and corrected some of the names, and most of the menus are translated.

Anyways, I may do the other 3 chapters, if only to give me something to do until I start working on FE5.

So yeah, have fun I guess :p

If you don't know what this game is, I'll just direct you here-

http://www.fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/BS_Fire_Emblem:_Archanea_War_Chronicles

The ROM doesn't have any BGM/soundtrack of any sort, so I'd recommend playing something in the background :)

As far as I know, the rom only runs on ZSNES and SNESGT.

If you know of any other emulators that it runs on, please let me know and I'll add them here.

And just so you know, the translation patch has a special modification to run on zsnes, so the original won't run on it.

If someone could let me know what isn't translated I'll fix it and then probably move onto the second chapter

Patch to an unmodified japanese rom

Download

Edited by joesteve1914
Spoiler tag seems to have broken?

No, it hasn't been translated, but the remake in FE12 has.

Actually, the game takes exactly 4 hours to play. Each "chapter" is 1 hour. In each chapter, the objective is to basically survive and collect points for opening chests, killing enemies, etc. Reinforcements continue to pour in until the chapter is over, making it a lot more difficult than the remake.

I'd love to try this if not for that ZSnes only thing. ZSnes has never really worked for me. >_>

Well, I haven't tried every snes emulator out there, mainly just higan and snes9x.

I heard that two versions of snes9x called snes9x SE and snes9x GT have good compatibility with satellaview roms so I'll try to test them asap and let you guys know.

Oh, and it only runs on ZSNES, just so you know.

Oh, you REALLY wanted me to prove this wrong, right? Please tell me you did. :3

Because these screens are from SNESGT.

BS%20Fire%20Emblem%20-%20Akaneia%20Senki

Use better Satellaview emulators, folks. ZSNES isn't cutting it anymore. (although admitably, for this fan translation it'd be a bit more difficult considering the checksums weren't changed to accomodate the filechanges, resulting in tripping the BS-X's internal DRM. If this was fixed I could test these on my sd2snes, which would be basically mean glorious real-hardware compatibility goodness. At the moment, though, SNESGT and SNES9XPP XE are my best bets.)

Anyway, more pictures:

BS%20Fire%20Emblem%20-%20Akaneia%20SenkiBS%20Fire%20Emblem%20-%20Akaneia%20Senki

BS%20Fire%20Emblem%20-%20Akaneia%20SenkiBS%20Fire%20Emblem%20-%20Akaneia%20Senki

(It looks like there should be a space next to that exclamation point, BTW... but I'm here to report bugs, not your grammar errors. :E )

And for some things that obviously need to be checked....

The "Level up" and "item get" messages are also glitched, but I didn't grab screens of those. I also didn't manage to grab Dolph's death quote which is glitched, but considering how the boss also screws it when he dies, I take it none of the death quotes are quite right.

By the way, if I may say so for aesthetic's sake, you may want to adjust the fonts in some manner - the font you use for the translated lines contrasts a bit with the untouched stuff, and it may look more pleasing to the eye if they're more uniform.

Edited by Kiddo

Thanks for testing it!

Yeah, I haven't touched any of the dialogue except the boss's dialogue. bookofholsety, if you don't mind could you check that one when you get a chance as well? I just guessed using google translate for that one since I wanted to test editing the dialogue.

What is that in the second to last screenshot? I thought it was the "enemy stole" message but I'm not sure.

As soon as I get the translations I'll insert them and move onto chapter 2.

Also, I know the option is probably somewhere, but I can't find it. Is there a way to edit the title of a thread? I'd like to change it and make it more general since I'm doing all four of them.

What is that in the second to last screenshot? I thought it was the "enemy stole" message but I'm not sure.

As soon as I get the translations I'll insert them and move onto chapter 2.

It's the message that appears when enemy reinforcements spawn. Considering how BSFE is, this is a very frequent message.

I'll gladly do more testing in future patches and episodes. I'd like to see how far along this can get. Do note that I am also testing the MSU1 BS Zelda patches as well.

And if you need any contextual clues for anything, remember this thread. And contact me if there's anything you'd still be struggling to understand. It might also be an interesting idea to compare your translation to how the Shin Monshou no Nazo translation handled these chapters.

EDIT:

http://kiddocabbusses.tryhappy.net/BSZelda/Patch%20for%20BSFE%20transation.ips - if anyone wants to load this on a sd2snes or snes9x-sx2, here's a patch for that. This will be obsolete when the translation is updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMjLdrajtf8 - Me playing the translation on my sd2snes.

Edited by Kiddo

let the record state that i'm so used to having script dumps for fe4 and fe5 that i completely forgot for a moment that i'm gonna have to do things the old-fashioned way for this one. it doesn't help that i'm still pretty garbage when it comes to actually PLAYING these games; thank fuck for niconico footage for things like killing gouber

anyway, HERE WE GO incoming translations. for the sake of novelty, i didn't borrow from the fe12 patch's script for this one (and also partially because, when i checked the japanese script for it, it turned out all the battle dialogue was rewritten wholecloth for fe12's version. can't blame them, really)

[spoiler=playable character death quotes]

Nyna:

So... This is how it ends...

Boah, Midia, Dolph, Macellan, Tomas:

Lady Nyna... Please... Stay safe...

[spoiler=boss's dialogue]

(normal battle)

Gouber:

Hmph... you fools!
Know my power!

(death)

Gouber:

Nngh... How could... this be?

[spoiler=item/staff descriptions]

it's nice to have a fair bit of room to work with for these, compared to fe4/5's ones. :P thankfully the descriptions are identical to the fe3 ones

Heal:

Curing staff.
Heals (Str+10)
HP to ally.

Mend:

Curing staff.
Heals (Str+20)
HP to ally.

Physic:

Heals (Str+10)
HP to a
distant ally.

Power Ring:

Gives Str +4

when used.

Chest Key

A key to
open chests.

[spoiler=misc gameplay stuff]

the enemy reinforcements announcement literally translates as "Dolhr appears!"

oh, and it might be advisable to translate the opening black-screen loading text (ただいまロード中です。) just for the sake of getting it done. something like "Loading. Please wait." should do

not my best work, but it's a start

Edited by bookofholsety

oh, and it might be advisable to translate the opening black-screen loading text (ただいまロード中です。) just for the sake of getting it done. something like "Loading. Please wait." should do

This is handled in the BS-X BIOs, so it's probably not something that's even in the BS FE ROM.

BTW, I just noticed another issue as I was glancing back at the video recording I did.

Notice the clock.

Even though timer events are happening, the in-game clock does not appear to be moving at all.

It's not a sd2snes issue - I rechecked the base BSFE ROM just to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, this topic is long overdue for an update :o:

I have to apologize for my absence, I haven't been able to work on this over the last few months due to a hard drive failure involving a cup of coffee :>_<:

Luckily I had most of my important files backed up, but not the work on this translation. But I don't think I did much after I released the current patch, so hopefully I can resume working on this very soon.

Still nothing?

Well, while I wait, I noticed that the old "BS Fire Emblem Information" thread is no longer pinned. Since it may be useful for accelerating the progress of this project, I'll link it here.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8989&view=findpost&p=297919&hl=satellaview

It is is still easily accessible, as it got moved to the "repository of useful topics" thread because the pinned topics from bsfe plus fe 1-5 were cluttering the board.

Edited by sirmola

• 2 months later...

Wow, this topic is long overdue for an update :o:

I have to apologize for my absence, I haven't been able to work on this over the last few months due to a hard drive failure involving a cup of coffee :>_<:

Luckily I had most of my important files backed up, but not the work on this translation. But I don't think I did much after I released the current patch, so hopefully I can resume working on this very soon.

Since this was still pretty early in it probably wouldn't be too big a deal to lose data, anyhow.

Let me know when you're gonna look into what I pointed out with the game-clock in particular, by the way - I feel that since the clock is a critical gameplay mechanic it really shouldn't be tampered with unless we're ready to get to a point to completely remove Satellaview dependencies and make this bootable on and compatible with the SNES Powerpak and other ROM loading devices not adequately prepared for Satellaview. (In which case the clock would likely be tweaked to work like in the BS Zelda hacks.)

If that kind of hacking can be done the project may become a bit more advanced than a mere translation... adding back in the Title screen and CG art would be great ideas, thinking long-term.

It is is still easily accessible, as it got moved to the "repository of useful topics" thread because the pinned topics from bsfe plus fe 1-5 were cluttering the board.

You're probably right. I kinda got really confused when it was unpinned myself, though, so I went to dig around for it again.

• 11 months later...

I was going through some of my old files the other day and I found this. A while back I translated some of the BSFE chapter 1 rom. I was meaning to share this at one point but I forgot about it. I went back through and corrected some of the names, and most of the menus are translated.

Anyways, I may do the other 3 chapters, if only to give me something to do until I start working on FE5.

So yeah, have fun I guess :p

If you don't know what this game is, I'll just direct you here-

http://www.fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/BS_Fire_Emblem:_Archanea_War_Chronicles

The ROM doesn't have any BGM/soundtrack of any sort, so I'd recommend playing something in the background :)

As far as I know, the rom only runs on ZSNES and SNESGT.

If you know of any other emulators that it runs on, please let me know and I'll add them here.

And just so you know, the translation patch has a special modification to run on zsnes, so the original won't run on it.

If someone could let me know what isn't translated I'll fix it and then probably move onto the second chapter

Patch to an unmodified japanese rom

Download

Did you block the patch from download?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok it's been a while since this has been updated :rolleyes:

But I'm actually going to restart this project and try to actually finish at least the first game. I realized that some edits I made to the game that I thought fixed compatibility with zsnes actually f****d up the clock, as Kiddo mentioned earlier in this thread. Also, I kind of just threw the translation into some empty space as I went through with translating, so internally it's a bit of a mess.

So I'm basically going to start over with a clean rom. I'm also going to try to implement a better menu font and try to make the the dialogue font variable width.

Now, as for what Kiddo said earlier on as far as a restoration project, that may happen. I'm pretty confident that I can implement a msu1 solution into the roms a la the bs zelda project. This would allow for the introduction, complete soundtrack, and ending to be restored; maybe even the voice acting if it were redone like BS Zelda was. Of course that would all be up to someone else after I implement the msu1, I don't have any experience in those areas.

So yeah, that's where we are right now.

Eh, I could maybe lend my voice if you WANT it to a voice acting restoration if you need it. I don't know if I'll be any good but I can offer I guess. Is the plan to be as consistent as possible with the FE12 patch (Excepting Maris, since she was Malice in Awakening)?

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I could maybe lend my voice if you WANT it to a voice acting restoration if you need it. I don't know if I'll be any good but I can offer I guess. Is the plan to be as consistent as possible with the FE12 patch (Excepting Maris, since she was Malice in Awakening)?

That'd be great, but I'm actually not planning on starting any voice acting restoration. I'm just going to lay the hacking groundwork for that kind of thing, if someone else wants to take it up that would be awesome :)

Also, the text in this game was actually rewritten in fe12, so I'm not exactly sure yet. I'll try to get the first chapter finalized in a few days after I insert the actual dialogue.

As far as I know the plot is slightly different between FE1, 3 Book 1, and FE11 already, but 12 of course had a good chunk of the plot rewritten to accommodate new characters and characters from BSFE and FE11 into the main plot (Katarina, Wrys, and Malice for example).

So I doubt it'll be an exact 1 to 1 transition but I guess a certain amount of consistency would be nice if possible

If you want my humble opinion, I think both a text based version with the OST from Fe3 (like what they did with BS Zelda AST and ALttP's ost) and a silent version with the intent to eventually place voice acting and the original orchestral ost in would be ideal

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems