So Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (WiiU) and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS) come out in the U.S. today.

I'm curious to hear people's impressions. I wanted to pick one of the games up (not sure which one yet) but I probably won't get the chance to today.

Unfortunately I cannot get either yet. I'm a little wary, they've changed gameplay so much again from something that worked (Unleashed Day time stages, Colours and Generations) and came out with the mediocre Lost World.

The guys from the Jak & Daxter team who they got for Boom. I'm not sure what part of said team they were. I do hope to hear some positives. Ice Sage mentioned the demo was pretty good.

I am also curious to see what people think since I can't get the game for a while.

I've also heard nothing about the soundtrack at all.

Which is odd considering I've heard the composer is Richard Jacques. Which if you've heard his Sonic tracks for like 3D Blast and such.Know he is really freaking good at music.

Everyone I've talked to about the Wii U game has said it feels like the sequel to Sonic 06 in terms of how glitchy it is.

Comments about the 3DS one have been much nicer.

Everyone I've talked to about the Wii U game has said it feels like the sequel to Sonic 06 in terms of how glitchy it is.

Oh boy, that's all we needed -_-

Having only played the 3DS Demo, I can say Shattered Crystal is probably going to get somewhat positive reception. The stage design is nice, and the game all around flows pretty well.

I've watched clips of the Wii U version, and oh god, it looks like shit, in terms of both frame rate and how the game itself looks.

Honestly, though, I can't see Sonic Boom being the next Sonic '06, because unlike '06, Boom is a spinoff.

Edited by Nexas

I've watched clips of the Wii U version, and oh god, it looks like shit, in terms of both frame rate and how the game itself looks.

I honestly prefer the 3DS version.Like you said,it looks shitty and like they spent most of their time on mechanics then frame rates and graphics.

GameXplain honestly thinks that the 3DS one's better,and GameXplain is usually my go-to source for data and recommendations for games.I think I'll get the 3DS version.

Edited by Shinehollow

I only want the Wii U version because of Amy.

Just swing that Piko Piko Hammer at all the enemies and break them apart. tbh, I haven't played many Sonic games, so I've NEVER seen Amy use her Hammer in a game before. But I don't think I'll get Sonic Boom because I've no one to play it with. It'd feel lonely.

My brother's at college, and my sister doesn't have care as much for games as I do. She'll only play racing games, party games, or games where it's pretty hard to LOSE in. And puzzle (namely Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker).

i really don't care what the sonic fans have to say, this is still one of my main reasons for wanting a wii u, not the-repetitive-fighting-game-we've-been-getting-for-years-with-extra-data-and-online-packed-in. in case the complaints about glitches are true i still have faith they'll act on it since it still looks like a great game.

I only want the Wii U version because of Amy.

Just swing that Piko Piko Hammer at all the enemies and break them apart. tbh, I haven't played many Sonic games, so I've NEVER seen Amy use her Hammer in a game before. But I don't think I'll get Sonic Boom because I've no one to play it with. It'd feel lonely.

My brother's at college, and my sister doesn't have care as much for games as I do. She'll only play racing games, party games, or games where it's pretty hard to LOSE in. And puzzle (namely Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker).

To clarify for you, Amy has used her hammer in Sonic adventure 1, Sonic Heroes (somewhat), Sonic 06, Sonic Advance, Sonic Battle, Sonic Chronicles as well as hacks of older Sonic games putting her in.

So while I'm not expecting the Wii U version to be the great, I honestly think that based on the 3DS Demo, and the first 2 episodes of the TV series, that the 3DS version and TV Show are going to be great.

EDIT:

So... Like Sonic '06 with no redeeming qualities?

Besides the fact that it can't hurt the series because it's a spinoff, and the fact that this seems to only apply to the Wii U verson? Yes.

Edited by Nexas

10/10 A++ crying in a corner

Anyway, I played the Shattered Crystal demo and...

Meh

The gameplay is alright I guess and doing multiple characters right is nice to see(though the 2D games have been pretty consistent with that) but it was just average.

I don't remember the music at all and I just finished it so that's not so hot.

Nothing really stuck to me, it felt kinda dull. Maybe I'll buy it after a price drop or if something else renews my interest.

I have yet to see the show.

Edited by SecondWorld

OMG, were to even start with that one? Graphical glitches are always to be expected but how to rationalize everything else? I guess Lyric just wanted to say hello. Or maybe it was a stylistic decision and Sega just wanted the game to feel like an authentic TV tie-in.

Edited by BrightBow

So guys, I've heard a lot of criticism with this game and its bugs.

Is this true?

tumblr_nezklx3waZ1qfb7m1o1_500.jpg

apparently the new sonic game had just one single qa tester and: i think that’s great

I feel this game was intended to be terrible so people would buy it to see how bad it is like Sonic 06

Still want to know if this is the WiiU one or the 3DS one. Both games were made by two completely devs.

I can’t stress it enough.

The devs that did the WiiU game have NO games under their brand to speak of.

What were you expecting.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Being unbiased and completely honest, Sonic Boom(Wii U) is meh at best. The game has no idea on what it wants to be and doesn't try anything new to diverse itself. The characters and dialogue are the only stand out things. It is by no means a bad game, just keep your expectations low and you'll find something to enjoy.

Sonic Boom is to the Sonic series as Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures is to Pac-Man.

Edited by Ace Gamer

Sonic Boom(Wii U) is meh at best.

From what I've played of it, I feel the same way. It's generally bland, but I don't feel it's nearly as terrible as some people are making it out to be. I guess people just like hating on Sonic games, lol.

However... I'm not looking forward to Shadow's personality in this game.

So guys, I've heard a lot of criticism with this game and its bugs.

It's sloppy, but I haven't encountered any crazy glitches. I too, have heard some things though...

Edited by Gemma

ProJared gave this game a 2/10... And the reviews have all been ranging from the quality people say being just below mediocre to absolutely terrible.

It's quickly became this year's Ride to Hell: Retribution