GOG Autumn Sale

Ike-Mike

Get your favourite games and do whatever you want with them without any DRM, no matter how obtrusive, for cheap on this year's autumn sale.

Right now the original Mount & Blade is for free. Also a few rows below you can check a bracket once a day and after the 7th time you unlock Witcher 2 for free... along with a low-budget film about video games, whatever.

I hear Mount & Blade has been surpassed by its successors, but still, free game!
The Witcher 2 has its flaws too, but they seem to be adressed in the third one. Even then, I feel kind of excited that, after giving it away a few years ago, I can get it back for free. Besides, I did it before the Enhanced Edition and I hear it mixes up things a lot.

Like the summer sale, it has its daily deals and continually provides flash sales, so feel free to check every hour or so.

Any recommended strategy games on there?

AI War: Fleet Command is on sale and is highly excellent. There's a demo on (at least) Steam if you're interested. The learning curve is extant, but isn't as bad as (say) a Paradox game.

If you're into more retro, MASTER OF MAGIC is literally the best game of all time. If you're into less retro, Age of Wonders 3 is an excellent modernization of the same, but I don't know if it's on sale.

EDIT: the original Age of Wonders is also very good, if a little clunky.

For another more different flavor, I'm sure Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is on sale and I cannot recommend that highly enough.

i have no idea why i typed this post with proper capitalization lmao i just realized i was doing that

Edited by Integrity

If you're into more retro, MASTER OF MAGIC is literally the best game of all time. If you're into less retro, Age of Wonders 3 is an excellent modernization of the same, but I don't know if it's on sale.

EDIT: the original Age of Wonders is also very good, if a little clunky.

Dont get me wrong Master of Magic is the shit, but I'm more partial to Master of Orion, which you can also get right now, and you get both one and two, so you dont have to worry about the silly debate about which one is better. The answer is two, btw. Also, I always thought Dominions was a better successor to Master of Magic than Age of Wonders, but that isnt on GoG. Its just so much more more strategically interesting and satisfying to play.

If your into tactical strategy games, the do have Silent Storm which is flawed but interesting. If you get it there is a mod the speeds up the ludicrously slow animations, as well as one that helps fix the broken level up system. On a larger scale they have Panzer General 2, which is just fucking awesome. Still definitely the best WWII strategy game ever made.

Edited by Le Communard

Stamp #2 is live! As are two new bundles. Please keep in mind that the super-reduced prices only apply for the bundles and not for the individual games.

I also condone the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and add that the entire series up to part 5 is on sale.

Albeit the third one is widely considered to be the best, the others have their own charm and also have their fans.

And if you're into HoMM3 for the campaigns there's also Heroes Chronicles.

Also one more thing in favour of Mount & Blade and Witcher 2: both are ambitious games from ambitious studios from countries not exactly known for a prolific portfolio of video games.

the difference is that mount and blade is actually enjoyable

0 w n e d

EDIT many hours later:

Also, I always thought Dominions was a better successor to Master of Magic than Age of Wonders, but that isnt on GoG. Its just so much more more strategically interesting and satisfying to play.

i do enjoy dominions 4 (sometimes, i find the game kind of a headache to actually play most of the time) but the problem is it's paced entirely wrong to be a master of magic. i found age of wonders 3 (specifically 3, the new one, definitely not the ones before) to be paced much more like good old MoM

Edited by Integrity

Stamp #3 and two new bundles are now live!

I also noticed today that my Retro City Rampage has updated to the DX version. Immediate and automatic updates are what Steam has in favour of. Thankfully GOG Galaxy is on its way.
Moreover, Spelunky is 80% off for the next two hours. I am contemplating about getting it...

The stamp campaign is going to last for a while more now, so those who didn't get 7 stamps in a row don't need to be worried.

In any case, I have all the stamps now, so it's time to try out Witcher 2 once more...

Today the entire Ultima series is on sale. I'm the last person to complain about older role-playing video games not aging well, but Ultima is an acquired taste.

Even then the genre pioneer itself, Ultima IV, and the two hit-or-miss Worlds of Ultima spinoffs have been for free for a while now.

Moreover, Spoony's Ultima Retrospective summarizes each and every game succintly and it's imo his magnum opus.

Edited by Ike-Mike