Pairings and possibilities that could have changed the metagame

A list of some things that could have made the metagame of Awakening more competitive/easier to do.

Possible Pairings that Should have Been Possible:

Chrom x Cordelia (Obvious reasonings, mainly Severa with Aether and Armsthrift Lucina)

Sumia x Stahl (Myrimodon tree would be good on Cynthia and possibility of being physical)

Sumia x Vaike (Merc tree and pretty decent strength)

Chrom x Nowi (Imagine it. Aether Nah. Manakete Lucina. Need I say more?)

Chrom x Panne (Taguel Lucina,RFK Yarne and good skills for both of them, win win)

Sumia x Lonqu (Similar to Lonqu!Brady, just weaker magic but amazing speed and skill)

Possible Things that could have Changed the Metagame:

More males having their own Child

Gerome, Yarne,and Laurent having access to Galeforce

More options for Chrom (Like ones listed above)

Chrom's second child being able to get The Lord tree.

Vaike giving access of galeforce to Nah Noire or Kjelle.

Olivia can pass Dancer to her female Children(Or just more Dancers,either way would be fine)

Light Magic

Maybe I went overboard and made too much OP stuff, but I'd like feedback, Thx

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wished the guys had children linked to them too. It isn't fair that Female Avatar can only marry Chrom if she wants two kids while the male Avatar has a whole bunch of options. Chrom may be a popular option, but I bet you this is one of the reasons why and that Female Avatar marriages would be a little more diverse if she could get two kids with other guys.

Of course, my creative mind kicked in anyway and made a daughter for Frederick. :P

Light magic would've been nice too. And more Dancers than just Olivia.

There's a reason you get one dancer.... you can get them to max level in one turn with some patience.

That said, I wish "Dance" got its own skill slot, but force it to not be passed. Either that, or replace Olivia with a bard character with a sing skill.

LIGHT MAGICS

Lucina doesn't need Armsthrift if she's physical (and with Cordelia, she will) because of the P Falchion being unlimited. Javelins/etc are fairly cheap. Sol, however.... is fairly alluring for a tanky Lucy.

A list of some things that could have made the metagame of Awakening more competitive/easier to do.

Since Awakening has no real multiplayer, there's no such thing as "competitive" Awakening play, so this is pretty much a moot point. And the last thing Awakening needs is to be easier, there's Normal/Cas for people who don't want a challenge. Anyway...

A Chrom x Cordelia pairing would leave the children severely lacking in Faires. Lucina won't care, but Severa does- all she has is BF and LF, so her only good postgame classes would be Sniper and Paladin. Also, Lucina lacks Vantage to take advantage of Cordelia's Vengeance (using it as an offensive proc is ootclassed by Aether/Luna).

Stahl is essentially a Chrom that gives no Aether and exchanges 1 Spd for 1 Str. Sure, you've got SF, but there's only one class Stahl!Cynthia gets (Assassin) that can both use it and doesn't both come from Chrom and have another Faire from him it can use. And since Sumia's mods are so great on Lucina, this would be kind of completely eclipsed by Chrom.

Sumia x Vaike would be interesting for aesthetic purposes (Cynthia can be the Hero she's always dreamed of!) and Vaike passes good Skl/Spd, so it would probably be one of Sumia's good options (I'd say her third best, behind Chrom and Lon'qu). Most likely Cynthia would be played as a General in this case to take advantage of her high Spd mod (35(base) +5(mods) +20(LBR) +8(Zerker) +2(tonic) =70, which is very nice for a General).

Sumia x Lon'qu would be another heavy armor candidate, reaching 75 Spd as a GK (SF or LF) with either All+2 and a Zerker or no All+2 and an Assassin. She could also hit 75 Spd as a Wyvern x Berserker with no All+2, allowing for a procstack of Luna/Astra. Definitely one of her stronger options despite having negative Str, I'd put it at second to Chrom.

Chrom x Nowi would be nice for ingame because high Def and all that, but a Lucina with no GF and a Spd mod of 0 would be beyond useless for postgame. This would be one of Chrom's worst pairings for Apo.

Panne pretty much gives Lucina the same mods as Sumia but trades GF for +4 Str, which I think is a bad deal. Stahl!Yarne can do everything Chrom!Yarne would except better thanks to +1 Str, so this pairing is likely going to be at the bottom of Chrom's barrel as well.

So no, I don't think you went overboard. You didn't even mention some of the possible pairings that really would make a big change, namely using the spotpass characters- Chrom x Aversa (just for fun), Nowi x Priam (assuming his Fighter became Peg- he can pass down Luna, giving Nah a Luna/Astra procstack with GF and nice Str), Panne x Yen'fay (already better than Virion by mods alone and with a massive Spd boost for any 3rd gen Morgans), Sumia x Gangrel (again, see mods), and Walhart x Olivia (+5 Str and Luna). A lot of those would pretty much run over many existing good pairings.

Good gawd, can we avoid terms like 'waifu' or 'hubby' at least here? It gets kinda annoying after a while!

Anyway, I'd just pay for more Chrom and Sumia pairings to mess with them around more. Something I'd be somehow happy to try would be Say'ri!Chrom, Lucina would get galeforce and she'd be rather fast.

Anyway, I'd just pay for more Chrom and Sumia pairings to mess with them around more. Something I'd be somehow happy to try would be Say'ri!Chrom, Lucina would get galeforce and she'd be rather fast.

Say'ri!Lucina is interesting because she gets both Wyvern and GF. She doesn't have the Spd to use it as well as Severa or Kjelle, but it's probably what she'd want to do (otherwise, she doesn't really have any advantages over Olivia!Lucina, and Chrom gives Inigo a nice set so you'd just want to use her instead).

No

I second Rydia. Fanboying in threads about gameplay is annoying.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

There's a reason you get one dancer.... you can get them to max level in one turn with some patience.

That said, I wish "Dance" got its own skill slot, but force it to not be passed. Either that, or replace Olivia with a bard character with a sing skill.

LIGHT MAGICS

Lucina doesn't need Armsthrift if she's physical (and with Cordelia, she will) because of the P Falchion being unlimited. Javelins/etc are fairly cheap. Sol, however.... is fairly alluring for a tanky Lucy.

Cordelia would make an awesome mom for Lucina

There's a reason you get one dancer.... you can get them to max level in one turn with some patience.That said, I wish "Dance" got its own skill slot, but force it to not be passed. Either that, or replace Olivia with a bard character with a sing skill.LIGHT MAGICSLucina doesn't need Armsthrift if she's physical (and with Cordelia, she will) because of the P Falchion being unlimited. Javelins/etc are fairly cheap. Sol, however.... is fairly alluring for a tanky Lucy.

The "Dance" getting its own skill slot breaks the whole point of the dancer class. (Unless your saying that you can only use it when your a dancer,ignore that) Though P Falchion is unlimited, is it that strong? No, not too much, which is why you would want a forged brave sword/superior edge, mercerious, etc. Armsthrift is NEEDED since these things are extremely rare/expensive to make or get.

Ingame, P.Falchion is an infinite use Silver Sword/Concoction combo that's useable upon recruitment. That's pretty good.

For Apo or any other postgame, it's assumed you're able to prepare, which you always can unless you're doing a challenge run. Therefore, since all weapons are renewable in Awakening, AT is a convenience and doesn't actually change "the metagame". A very convenient convenience, maybe, but one nonetheless. It's definitely not "NEEDED".

Oh yeah, Basilio x Olivia would be one hell of an Inigo. Inigo is such a great unit on his own, lacking Sol, Astra, and 2 faires at default. Throw him Basilio's Luna and high ass strength and you get a potent unit. Would suck for in game since Basilio doesn't exist until the end but yeah. In fact Basilio would basically be another Vaike with the potential to pass down Peg tree as well. So Basilio's daughters would all be top dog.

Oh yeah, Basilio x Olivia would be one hell of an Inigo. Inigo is such a great unit on his own, lacking Sol, Astra, and 2 faires at default. Throw him Basilio's Luna and high ass strength and you get a potent unit. Would suck for in game since Basilio doesn't exist until the end but yeah. In fact Basilio would basically be another Vaike with the potential to pass down Peg tree as well. So Basilio's daughters would all be top dog.

Fighter and Barb have complete class overlap with Inigo's Barb and Merc, though, so all Inigo gets is mods and Knight. Walhart gives an extra class and more Str- personally I'd pick him (not for story, of course. Olivia x Basilio would be a good read).

I'm also adding Yen'fay!Severa/Cynthia to my list of incredible pairings gained from Spotpass- 75 Spd Wyverns without All+2, very nice (Cynthia can run a procstack instead, Severa would likely take a Breaker or AT).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

True, but Inigo has no shortage of classes he can end with. Base Inigo already just wants mods and Luna. He would appreciate Bowfaire though...

Walhart x Olivia sounds awesome.

White haired Inigo would be awesome. And also, he would be unstoppable with Walhart as his father and inheriting Conquest

I always wished the guys had children linked to them too. It isn't fair that Female Avatar can only marry Chrom if she wants two kids while the male Avatar has a whole bunch of options. Chrom may be a popular option, but I bet you this is one of the reasons why and that Female Avatar marriages would be a little more diverse if she could get two kids with other guys.

Here's what I have to say about that: each gender has its own advantages.

Pros for each gender:

Female Avatar

-Bigger total class access (having access to 1 more class than male Avatars do in terms of number of classes each gender can access)

-Access to Galeforce, Dual Support+ and Lancefaire

-Ability to S-rank Chrom (story important character in terms of getting attacked and potentially killed)

-Having more marriage options than male Avatars do

Male Avatar

-Freedom in picking a wife to have 2 children with

-Access to Counter and Axefaire

-Access to Aggressor if the player has Lost Bloodlines 2 DLC

If anything, there is at least one reason that many players playing at higher difficulties would more likely play as the female Avatar anyways over the male one.

White haired Inigo would be awesome. And also, he would be unstoppable with Walhart as his father and inheriting Conquest

Inigo the philandering Conqueror. Conquerors lands and ladies alike.

I dig it.

Pros for each gender:

Female Avatar

-Bigger total class access (having access to 1 more class than male Avatars do in terms of number of classes each gender can access)

-Ability to S-rank Chrom (story important character in terms of getting attacked and potentially killed)

Male Avatar

If anything, there is at least one reason that many players playing at higher difficulties would more likely play as the female Avatar anyways over the male one.

You're right about the points you listed, but I feel that Male Avatar having a lot more options for two children is a bigger pro than any of the advantages Female Avatar has.

Pros for each gender:

Female Avatar

Male Avatar

I try to balance out MU creation with both genders (Though it still leans to the male side a little more by like 1 character)

Female Avatar x Chrom certainly is the most powerful no-grind pairing for the higher difficulties, though. I'd think being able to wreck L/L+ the most easily out of all avatar pairs in a nogrind situation is a huge advantage for those of us who don't like grinding and prefer the harder difficulties. On top of that if you're into maxing caps with gen3 morgan, Both highest Str and highest Mag requires use of female avatar to achieve due to needing Gerome or Laurent. Both has their merits and it's really up to the playstyle.

Anyway totally seconding Cordelia x Sully there. It's like Cordelia x Fred's class, except Myrm instead of Knight (which is one more promoted class due to knight overlaps with cav, and nice if you want to run VV) for Severa and a lot more speed. If only. Alas.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Yeah I actually got the Cordy x Sully idea from a member of GFaqs.

Both gals get: Myrmidon, Pegasus Knight, Cavalier, Wyvern Rider, Mercenary, and Dark Mage. Kjelle gets Knight too.

That's a shit ton of classes.

You're right about the points you listed, but I feel that Male Avatar having a lot more options for two children is a bigger pro than any of the advantages Female Avatar has.

Ingame? Sure (though Avatar-M's options aren't all good- only a handful can perform as well as Chrom x Avatar, and that's only if you train the wife up first. An example is Maribelle, who gives both children garbage starting classes and requires more attention than usual to get into a weapon using class). Postgame? Pairing imbalance, use caution (and you're even more constrained in terms of Avatar's wife- out of the entire first gen, only Sumia, Cordelia and Aversa have everything he wants for postgame).

Shitton of very nice classes, at that.

And nicely matched to their Faires and mods, at that.

On top of that if you're into maxing caps with gen3 morgan, Both highest Str and highest Mag requires use of female avatar to achieve due to needing Gerome or Laurent. Both has their merits and it's really up to the playstyle.

Not necessarily the case for highest Magic cap -- male Avatar with +Mag/-Str, Skl, Spd, Res can marry Ricken!Noire to get a female Morgan with +10 Magic mod.