TheMoniker plays Road to Ruin

TheMoniker

Hello everyone, and welcome to...

The CHAPTER 5 PRELUDE!

LxICz17.png

Last time, on any tv show ever...

bQQAQsm.pngu07GfiW.pngyYZ0xXG.png

Mora! Wonder what we'll find there? I mean, has the country fallen? Or is it just decimated? I can't tell.

2DqEZdC.pngvgMSqmZ.png

FIGHT! That's ALWAYS the answer!

RGjtIKZ.png

Fade to black...

1DiLzGO.png

Does anyone think this should have been the title of the first chapter?

ySsPhEs.pngis1oqu3.png

Vance: The town is in…ruins.

Torie: Who could do something like this? It’s monstrous.

Buck: Was it bandits? They’d do something like this in a heartbeat. Or maybe…it was Sybaris.

Ava: Bandits would be the first guess. It’s easy to pin the blame on them. But, I’m not so sure they’re the culprits.

ym9ARsz.pngqMsUxIb.pngu603Uli.png

Ava: How many bandits ride on horseback?

Buck: You’re right, that is pretty odd.

Vance: There really isn’t anywhere for wild horses to roam here. So, then, that would mean…

*dramatic music plays*

Ava: That whoever did this was part of an organized group. A group that has access to not only steeds, but weaponry. Enough weaponry to be able to lay waste to an entire town.

Buck: So, then it was Sybaris? They’re the ones who attacked Mora, right?

Vance: That’s what’s been going around lately, yeah.

Ava: It stands to reason that they are the likely culprit. We’re fairly close to the border. Or maybe…hmmm.

Vance: Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

Ava: That perhaps…?

udjupeN.png

No, Buck isn't the one saying that.

Torie: We’re not here to hurt you.

yJMPDvZ.pngtcrFN2c.png

A civilian was hiding under that oddly-spliced roof, apparently.

OwYWhGs.png

A portrait! ...You're our convoywoman, aren't you? I can tell already.

Vance: A survivor! Hey, are you okay?

Survivor: It was horrible…they…everyone’s been killed…

Torie: No…

Survivor: We were practically defenseless. Some of the men tried to fight back. But, with only pitchforks and shovels… They were quickly overpowered by the soldiers.

Vance: …..

Survivor: I hid myself away, praying they wouldn’t find me. While hiding I overheard the soldiers talking.

Torie: What did you hear?

Survivor: Some of them were asking why they were here. A few of them didn’t seem to understand.

SHM6Ljj.pngYoQPcIY.png

Vance: Wait..what!?

There's only one explanation...MORA'S OWN SOLDIERS BOUGHT SOLDIERS FROM A FOREIGN COUNTRY, WITH DRAGONS THAT WORE HORSESHOES, DRESSED THEM IN TIRYN'S UNIFORMS, CONVINCED THE SOLDIERS THAT THEY WERE SYBARIS UNIFORMS, INVENTED NUKES, AND THEN THEY-

Survivor: Those soldiers, they weren’t from Sybaris. They were from Aksum!

Oh. That's also a possibility.

Vance: No… You’re saying…Aksum did this!?

Survivor: Every soldier was dressed in the garb of Sybaris. But really… they were all from Aksum…

Vance: No…Then who we’ve been fighting for… They’ve been lying this whole time..

There's something else that's been lying all this time, now that I think back...

Torie: How…How could they do something like this!? I thought that Aksum and Mora had declared friendship! They…They deceived Mora!

OYNtWTo.pngZTLrNMt.png

Someone new?

FaQAcrF.png

There's a map event that shows a knight and two cavs walk onscreen, but it happened so fast I couldn't screenshot it.

Knightman: My name is Corvan. I am a knight of Sybaris. It would seem you have learned the truth. The crimes that Sybaris has been accused of…They were, in fact, committed by Aksum. The invasion of Mora, slaughtering of civilians… And this, the destruction of an entire village.

Corvan? I can tell by your portrait and the growth sheet Prime gave me I'll get you on my side eventually!

Vance: But why? Why would Aksum do such a thing?

Corvan: To frame Sybaris as the culprit. They ambushed a squad of our men and stole our equipment. Dressed in our garb, they’ve murdered Mora’s people. Why they would backstab Mora to frame us, though, is beyond me.

Vance: If Sybaris is really innocent, then why are you here?

Corvan: It seems the girl is not the only survivor.

x5bkXcc.png

Survivor: Thank the four.

Corvan: Yesterday a pair of people showed up at our camp. They told us their whole village had been razed. We came to investigate. Before, we had no evidence to prove Sybaris’s innocence. Witnesses all say they saw Sybaris soldiers.

Vance: But, they were really Aksumians in disguise.

Corvan: That’s right. But then those survivors showed up. We thought we might be able to gather some evidence. The girl and the other’s testimony might be just what we need. They could be the witness that proves Sybaris’s innocence.

Vance: Hmm…

Jqx4rS3.png

High hopes is right. Three people proving a whole country's innocen-wait, who said that?

lZCXYp5.png

It's a red knight! The green ones are Corvan's guys.

mv8V2kZ.png

Uh...wow...that portrait...it's kinda, uh...bad...

Soldier of Aksum: Heh heh…yes I am, little Sybarian. And today you’ve made a very foolish mistake. Now I know just where to find your little tattlers.

StQLUXx.png

Soldier of Aksum: Kill ‘em all! Geh heh haha! Absolutely no survivors or the general will have our heads!

sKlPv10.png

Man, this guy...

Eg8YTgk.png

And then tons of enemies enter!

rtaT07U.png

Corvan: Get yourselves out of here. Take the girl to our camp in the southeast. Tell the guards her story and they’ll let you pass. We’ll take care of these thugs.

Vance: No way, Corvan. This battle has now become personal. If anyone is taking care of these thugs, it’s us.

Corvan: …I sure hope you know what you’re getting yourselves into. Good luck.

Wait, aren't you guys going to help?

q85mDYe.png

And then one of them grabs the civilian, and they all make their hasty escape. Looks like we're on our own...again...

YRRGBpQ.png

Buck: Let’s do this!

Ava: Of course.

Torie: Let’s skewer these uglies!

Vance: …Time for some payback.

END DIALOGUE

f41BtXG.png

And then OHHHH YES. We finally get a preparation screen! At last, we control our own destiny!

luVd5ye.png

Good, it would be so arbitrary if there was a restriction THIS early on. We're taking everyone!

ztRnKr8.png

Wait what? Who's this guy? Anyways, it appears that one poster was right, losing generics actually DOES hurt survival! We're not getting those stars back...oh well, I don't really care about them anyway. 5 tactics star FTW!

hOBsgTf.png

Here's our positioning.

Amxt2XS.png

This is an insanely tiny map. There's a lot of enemies packed into one tiny space. I'll discuss this further when we really play the chapter.

Lp90r6E.pngvxQIqNk.png

Here's crappy portrait guy, and apparently he has an obligatory backstory of evil to boot!

J4GaZxd.png

This is the only other notable thing the enemies have, but believe me, Hugo WANTS this. Especially with how well he's turning out.

Okay, next time! Watch as, for the first time ever, I actually encounter high amounts difficulty in this hack!

Well, we finally got a preparations screen. How long will it be until we get a transporter, I wonder?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Road to Ruin: Episode 7: Chapter 5: Death and Contamination

Pz0XpDQ.png

Okay. Aksum is here, all ready to be slaughtered. Why don't we oblige them?

QIry6mg.png

First turn setup. Just being very careful, very cautious...

VZj9OZK.png

BUT NOT CAUTIOUS ENOUGH

This sets the tone for the rest chapter, just so you guys know.

nwOZh1z.png

New setup. A bit less cautious, but a bit more well-conceived.

Beb5Wef.png

Okay, here's our situation. TONS of enemies are attacking us, and we only have 7 units to counter them with.

CIuogOR.pngdcM03bO.png

Buck is the best archer! He doesn't need any silly longbows! Someday, I'm gonna have him kill Vorlu...

U8e3KVW.png

The power of the short blade will really be helpful this chapter.

pzgLaDm.png

Torie actually gets a chance to use Buck's gift.

AT9JR5B.png

Here's our setup...hopefully everyone will live...

CZsjXKN.png

Did I mention how SMALL this map is?

mV6YE6B.png

The layout forces me to let Ava do some work, and she gains a trash level.

sX0eCvQ.png

Hugo gets doubled by the myrm. Yeah. Guess three speed levels just weren't enough.

SMamJNH.pngLWQPE2g.png

...And then the chapter goes on? I guess only the "origin four" are game over characters. I guess that's okay, since they're required for cutscenes.

xKjARuA.png

NEW PLAN! I should have just done this at the start, really.

X7RBPMb.png

Ava re-gets her level. But no important stats like strength or defense. Gee, I wonder why? Oh wait...

PJG1F8y.png

It had to happen.

AaGM0x9.png

Hugo lives this time. Hurrah!

By9bbzS.png

We lived another turn, but there's still tons of enemies in our general area!

Wait, that enemy number seems off...

hZPUmP8.png

Because cavs with a lack of cam-scrolling showed up!

kGZHKPQ.png

Torie is such trash(no, I don't do this engagement).

CCPf1QT.png

However, she may be on the road to recovery...

wDDr41X.png

Vance needs no roads. He is always awesome.

xATbFo1.png

PHEW! I thought for sure we were gonna have another death on our hands!

HIz5dt5.png

GUESS WHAT? More cavs!

zIx7v52.png

Hey, if Hugo wants to get every stat but speed, sure, I'm okay with that.

RQ2XKSO.png

Me, foolishly thinking that we have a chance at a brief reprieve, sends Jorin towards the armory..

Wait, armory? What the heck? This is supposed to be a looted, destroyed town! WHY IS THERE A WORKING ARMORY HERE?

u6dYmbU.png

And then fighters show up.

cGU5ZFK.png

I didn't expect that to hit anyway.

jJVphH4.png

Jorin makes it to the perfectly good, fully-staffed armory. Who is that guy in the portrait? Is he a ghost, come back from the dead? Is he the world's worst entrepreneur? WHAT IF HE'S JORIN, AND JORIN ACTUALLY LOOKED LIKE THIS ALL ALONG? WHAT IF JORIN'S ACTUALLY INSANE AND HALLUCINATING?

lHBxS8Z.pngxO64zmq.png

Whatever he is, he has a good weapon stock. Steel and slim weapons!

itItnsQ.png

Aksum's dudes haven't leveled up much...

u2rGB9H.png

Vance? What happened to proving you were the best merc?

AVUla3Y.png

Well, I set up a bit of a barricade. It isn't exactly a GOOD one, but hopefully everyone will be protected...

Hlnc3OA.png

NOPE!

djwpudx.png

NEW POSITION! This time, Hugo can only be attacked from one side!

WliWZjz.png

Okay Vance, forgiven. Not like you were in that much trouble anyway.

MLzYIoh.png

We survived...but now there are EVEN MORE ENEMIES!

PtPdMpn.png

I've done all I can! Please, please be enough! I should never have brought Jorin away from the battle!

gaBQ2Eh.png

Torie gets hurt...

uu64QIB.png

But ultimately, we make it, and the cavs are on the verge of defeat! However, NOW THE FIGHTERS HAVE ARRIVED! AGH!

GnRgnA6.png

Vance engage-WAIT WHAT? WHAT KIND OF SKIN IS THAT? WHAT DID AKSUM DO TO THEIR FIGHTERS? MERCURY POISONING?

0i3fkET.png

Kill it! Kill it before it infects us too!

GcBc5af.png

Its a good thing I picked up a new one at the armory. Although, being dependent on a more powerful weapon might actually be good for her.

CUAbjpb.png

Buck does really great chip damage,

bdlHYZo.png

Okay, that's the best I can do...I think...

bLZq2Vo.png1YCEAZY.png

Nope! Jorin is NOT best cavalier!

ogV2bwh.png

This time, I decide to barricade off the fighters and focus on the remaining cavs.

6Gl3Pdv.pnga56beEn.png

2YVzNQ2.png

Vance can handle the fighters. He'll be FINE.

8KUcaPK.png

Well, the iron axe one at least. Man...that skin...it just ISN'T normal...looking closer, it seems like one of those black tendril-things they always show in movies has started to creep all over his skin...

YWXfyRy.png

More enemies! BECAUSE APPARENTLY, WE JUST DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH!

Wj353xV.png

Vance has been hit! Hopefully, the poisoning hadn't spread to his axe...

bEJYiNW.png

Torie derails off the road to recovery, and crashes into a tree. An ambulance comes to pick her up. But it also derails. Into another tree.

6QcNz2B.png

Testing...(he doesn't move)

hMAJPHR.png

We STILL have no good way of dealing with magicians! Please, at LEAST give us a pure water or SOMETHING as a token gesturem if nothing else!

wdU9itb.png

Alright, what's in here.

deBbCSd.png

New guy: The name’s Kristoph. I came here to see if the rumors were true. I had heard that Sybaris did a number on this place… But, I didn’t expect it to be this bad.

8nYNnBJ.png

I think this is supposed to be Torie doing the "silent explanation" thing to him.

Kristoph: It was Aksum all along!? That’s crazy! Hmm… Fighting against the bad guys that really did this… Yeah, that could work.

Torie: …?

Kristoph: Say, do you mind if I join up with you? See, I’m on a journey of sorts. I’m expected to accomplish something while I’m gone from home. I think doing something big like this is just what I need. Don’t worry, I can take care of myself. I’m not too shabby with a lance. So, let’s get out there and send them packing!

Lg16Z4n.png

Well, that was very...sudden! Kristoph is a soldier, which is a pity, because I was hoping for something more exotic. Let's take a look at him...

GFhNYev.pngstDNpzE.pngzc0QXFS.png

Kristoph is average in basically every way. His bases are solid, but he's outclasses in every way by Vance, still, he is a special class, so I should probably use him anyways...

Sh2mk9p.png

MAGIC!

ZooGKxL.png

I wanted to give this non-poisoned fighter(apparently they only look like that when they have a hand axe?) kill to someone else, but Vance had other plans.

uMHbumS.png

Not that I mind, oh no. Please continue outclassing literally everyone else on the team in literally every way but perhaps RES.

HZq0yod.png

Kristoph will test his strength on this armor barricade.

i46YrsL.png

He lives. The guy is pretty tanky.

eYXPlIM.png

Does the boss move?

AnhokXN.png

Sylvia's heal has 6 charges left. I'm absolutely PRAYING for a shop next chapter.

Xv8vGqb.png

Well, it was for a good cause, but I knew it wouldn't last forever. Oh well. Who knows, maybe we'll get another one.

ztmkuUU.png

Buck finished off the fighters, and acquires a superweapon for Hugo.

I'm gonna cut it here. See the thrilling conclusion next time.

Listen though, I gotta say something about this chapter. It's a HUGE difficulty spike. Wave after wave of tough enemies are attacking you every single turn, and it just doesn't let up. This difficulty feels so...sudden. I think it would help if the map was a bit bigger, to break up the constant enemies.

Anyways...

KRISTOPH'S GROWTHS:

HP: 85%

Strength: 35%

Skill: 40%

Speed: 30%

Luck: 30%

Defense: 40%

Resistance: 35%

Total: 295%

Kristoph is average in everything, but if he isn't RNG blessed, I can see him becoming a "master of none" character, instead of the "jack of all stats" he is intended to be. I'll use him because I like soldiers(besides, he'll almost definitely get a custom promotion class), but I'm really nervous about how he's going to turn out.

Man, that is the tankiest Vance I've ever seen. 12 def? What are you?

People have been saying good things about Kristoph. Mainly that he's reliable. I tend to agree with this.

And goes down the Road to Ruin.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was hoping someone would make a joke like this.

Man, that is the tankiest Vance I've ever seen. 12 def? What are you?

People have been saying good things about Kristoph. Mainly that he's reliable. I tend to agree with this.

I was hoping someone would make a joke like this.

mine has 12 defense as well, but he's also at level 13...

and yeah Kristoph is pretty damn good, mostly because he's reliable, he's not Torie, who before the latest patch couldn't do anything right, or Hugo that if he never gets speed, which has a good chance of happening with his 20% growth or so in it, he'll always get doubled by chapter 7 or so. maybe sooner.

once again i am glad that you made the changes.

Or maybe...

*shades*

And goes down the Road to Ruin.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dangit! I should have thought of that!

The CHAPTER 5 CONCLUSION!

8BJC1pe.png

As you can see, we've almost finished the chapter.

6Tp04WD.png

Buck and Ava have a talk. This talk is required to unlock another one later, but the chain doesn't give anything this time.

Buck: Man, this whole thing is crazy. Who would have thought Aksum was behind all this?

Ava: I must admit, I did not expect this either. I was certain it was all Sybaris propaganda.

Buck: I’m not even sure who to trust anymore.

Ava: Then don’t trust anyone.

Buck: But, how could I even live like that? I’d just be looking over my shoulder my whole life.

Ava: But if you’ve got no one to trust, what choice do you have?

Buck: Is that…how you live your life? Trusting no one?

Ava: Nearly… There are a few people I trust. But, that does not matter. We know we cannot trust Aksum. And so we will fight. Let’s go, Buck. There’s a battle to join.

Buck(alone): Man, Ava’s a cold one. I dunno if I could live like that. I wonder what her deal is…

gzoLwY1.pngy7kDYp7.pngHNZBYdF.png

Buck promptly goes and wastes all his energy on unnecessary flourish. Save those rolls for your levels!

cWLZB6O.png

(I'm not actually doing this engagement, I'm using savestates to see the convo)

Vance: Why did Aksum destroy this village?

Boss: So, found out did ye’? Well, I can’t let you leave alive now that you have.

Vance: I seriously doubt you’d let us leave anyway. I also seriously doubt you’ll be leaving here alive either, murderer!

qE2QPey.png

And this is why I don't have him do the engagement. Without the short blade, not even his amazingness stands up to the armor.

Kt5vdpL.png

Hugo, however...

2GN98GZ.pngWwK39po.png

Perfect! I can give the kill to whoever I want!

tU37cHN.pngnkYqPbg.png

New guy! Here's your chance!

b7GlH38.png

WELL. This is NOT a good start!

zgKI5Aa.png

Torie: But… This fight chilled me to the bone.

Buck: This is crazy. How could Aksum stab Mora in the back? It seems…inhuman.

Vance: I don’t even know what to think anymore. But this?

Ava: There’s one more thing we need to consider. The fact that Valamar ordered us dead.

Torie: So then he was, what? Afraid? Afraid we might say something? But, we didn’t know anything. Just whatever those Sybaris commanders said.

Buck: Maybe he was just…trying to cover his tracks. Playing it safe…

Ava: What do you propose we do next?

Vance: I don’t know… All of this happened so fast. It’s making my head spin.

Torie: Well, let’s hear what that knight from Sybaris has to say. Here he comes now.

uNZjLd6.png

Corvan: What do you intend to do now?

Vance: We’re…not sure. We have a lot to think about.

Corvan: That’s understandable. You were working from Aksum originally, yes?

Vance: We were. But… Well, now they want us dead. Not that we’d do more work for them anyway.

Corvan: Indeed. If you’d like, I can speak with my general about hiring you.

Corvan: Your skepticism is understandable. However, I can assure you. Aksum has fed you nothing but lies.

Vance: You seem like a good man. That, or a great actor. But, I’m inclined to go with my first guess.

rA5RaJT.png

Corvan: Hmm, thank me when this war is over and you’re still alive. We’d best return to camp. My men have already taken your survivor there. Our King will likely try to send messengers to the other countries. If all goes well, the three survivors will be able to clear Sybaris’s name.

Vance: And if things don’t go well?

Corvan: …Then we have a long road ahead of us.

UvL4FKx.png

Fade to black...

Also, I'm surprised everyone thinks three random witnesses will be enough to clear their name of this framing. I mean, they easily could've been bribed...

TYqBC1o.png

Wait, an interlude?

Next update is the interlude, which is just one giant dialogue dump. I'll try to post it later today.

There's also one thing I have to say about the story, and its about the narration at the very start. It clearly states that Sybaris was the one who invaded Mora, even though we JUST found out that that wasn't true. It wasn't like "reports say" or "according to Aksum", the narration in chapter 1 VERY CLEARLY lied to us! It would have made sense if there was some type of framing device, but there wasn't...

The Road to Ruin: Episode 8: Interlude: Dialogue Forever

FujihSV.png

Tell me Prime, when did you suddenly become so eloquent?

FbvDbRx.pngjq0cRBi.png

Narration: Sybaris is then framed for the crime committed by Aksum.

p1eHfr3.png

N: Corvan explains that Sybaris had nothing to do with the attack on Mora. The mercenaries travel with Corvan to the Syabris encampment.

EwEromO.png

That's...rather deep in Sybaris territory!

x8ZomZt.png

Fade to black...

G0o60wj.png

fo7rB0M.pngIekPmoH.png

Torie: What exactly are we waiting for, anyway?

Vance: Sybaris sent out messengers to the other countries to try to explain the situation and clear their name. Now we just need to know what they all think of this.

Buck: While I’m fine with just sitting around…What about Aksum? I doubt they’re okay with letting the survivors go. …Or us, even.

Vance: Yeah, I feel like a sitting duck just waiting here. I wonder if we should just leave…

zQQ8G2P.pnganL0yUJ.png

Vance: Why should we reconsider?

Corvan: Our messengers have returned from the neighboring countries. They’ve brought word on the leader’s thoughts.

Vance: So, what’s the situation?

Corvan: I would tell you…

NFp3Dxr.png

Vance: The general?

Corvan: Yes. Come, I will introduce you to him.

0W7k4jS.png

tJRNjNO.png

Oh, THERE'S the guy on the rank screen! When I actually recorded this dialogue I kept getting the feeling I'd seen Raizen before, it's only as I typed these updates that I know from.

There's just one thing I'm wondering. Raizen looks young, like really young. He looks like he's in his early 20's! How did he rise up the ranks so fast?

Oh well, his design is fantastic, and that's what counts.

Raizen: Ah, so you’re the ones Corvan spoke of. My name is General Raizen. I command the Sybaris forces here.

Vance: I’m Vance and I lead this group of mercenaries.

Raizen: So, you found one of the survivors, did you? You have my thanks.

Vance: We didn’t really do that much. The reason we went there is because we were attacked by Aksum. We wanted to see if the rumors were really true. When we arrived, the village was already razed.

Raizen: I see. Why was Aksum after you?

Vance: …We were working for Aksum before this all happened. We had heard rumors of Aksum spreading lies to everyone. I brought this up with General Valamar. He dismissed them and shortly after that he tried to kill us.

Raizen: Valamar… Yes, he seems like the kind of man to give that order. I met him once before this war started… That one time was more than enough. But, that’s besides the point. The real issue here is Aksum must be brought to justice. Speaking of which…

uEnt4LZ.png

Raizen: Our messengers reports.

r4rMfI9.pngxzkzgok.png

Raizen: They claim that the three people we brought were frauds; mercenaries we hired to tell a nonsense tale to the world.

That doesn't sound entirely illogical, even though we know it isn't true. How is this a ridiculous tale?

Vance: Are you serious? That’s absurd.

Raizen: It gets even better. With our conflicting reports many of the leaders are indecisive. They don’t know which way to lean.

Vance: That’s just fantastic. We’ve gotten nowhere.

Raizen: Indeed. However, not all is lost. Our own king is now in Prydain visiting. Prydain’s monarch expressed sympathy for our position. King Dalman hopes to convince him to help us fight.

Vance: And what about the other leaders of Pandosia? What do they think?

Raizen: Some would prefer to remain neutral. Some may lean towards our side. Others seemed to agree with Aksum.

Okay, that does make sense.

Vance: Hopefully, more will support us than them.

Raizen: One can only hope.

Vance: So, what about us? Where do we come into play?

Raizen: I’ve received reports about your group.

lT6GuhP.png

I just KNEW this would come up.

Raizen: While I’m not exactly thrilled with your exploits…

xyoYLYc.pngvCDeVnb.png

Vance: Well, if you’re fine with hiring former enemies then…okay.

hW9iySR.png

It's official, we're on the Sybaris team now!

Raizen: Good. I’ve come up with a few battle strategies. I’d like for your group to act as a strike force. Something that will unbalance the enemy. Let’s start by going over this plan here…

ySIv3Vn.png

Fadeaway...surely that can't be all the dialogue in the interlude?

bE4dJE3.png

Oh no. Of course not.

OuYRKB7.png

Hey, there's the guy we saw in chapter 4!

Genenemy: They appear to want to remain neutral in our little war. Thankfully, Sybaris’s messengers didn’t cause too much damage.

S1SucbE.png

Wait, that guy is the KING of Aksum?

Valamar: The men were given strict orders: No survivors. If any of those men survived I will make sure they’re punished.

Kingenemy: Well, no matter. In the end we got off clean anyway. Now then, Valamar, it’s time to be rid of those Sybaris fools. I want you to make preparations to exterminate them.

Kingenemy: I will continue contacting the other nations in the mean time.

dJgnDKS.png

Uh oh. Aren't they the magic kingdom? And we STILL don't have good magic tank fighters!

Kingenemy: How marvelous that would be.

Valamar: An excellent plan, King Merovech. We will crush the Sybarian bug beneath our boots. With our mighty armies, no one will stand against us!

Merovech: I’ve put a great deal of planning into this. I will see that everything goes by my design.

Just imagine an "evil laughing" fadeout here.

FyOC58C.pngdc0eCbk.png

Who's this old guy?

Prydude: Which of these books would be a good read? This one? Or this one?

suM0crm.png

Prydude: Is that so? Then, send them in.

Oz0tJOA.png

Oh, this guy is the king of Prydain? He looks kinda generic...

GN8CzpD.png

Ooh, and this is the king of Sybaris? He looks decidedly NOT generic...

Pryking: I see you wasted no time in seeking me out. Your messenger left just two days ago.

Wait, two days? Not two weeks, two DAYS? They didn't have cars or planes back then, and since the messengers had to return, that means that the trip from Sybaris castle to Prydain castle on a horse is about three-fourths a day max? And combined with how far Vance traveled earlier...are all these kingdoms actually hilariously small, and the map just doesn't indicate it properly?

Sybaris king guy: Indeed. And you heard the evidence presented. You know that Aksum is in the wrong here.

Pryking: Yes, that is what I believe. Aksum’s tale was rather convenient. It seemed to prey more on old hatreds than fact. Sybaris has garnered a few sour foes in the past, yes?

PFpCVDc.pnglRgwdev.pngjIrZUhn.png

Ah, I see...we've got a bit of the Ylisee-type backstory going on here...

Sybaris king: My mother did the best she could to help her people. I plan to do the same.

Pryking: Yes, I remember the events leading to Mora’s seceding. It was a troubling time indeed. But, that’s neither here nor there. I think I know why you’ve come here. But, I’d like you to tell me instead.

Sybaris king: You know that Aksum committed these crimes: Mass murder and destruction of entire towns. Not only that, they sought to frame us. They must be stopped and you know that. But, Sybaris can’t do this alone. Aksum is powerful, more so than us. I’d like to ask for your help in this. Will you aid us in stopping that vile king, Merovech?

5AWJ2z1.png

Sybaris king: What’s so amusing?

K6VMVQr.png

Merovech: But, you’re right of course. Aksum’s sins cannot be abided.

xVVfAaT.png

Kind of a bait-and-switch there...the guy laughs evilly about "youth" like he's going to reject him...and then pulls a 180 and agrees to help him with no troubles.

Merovech: Let us be rid of the corruption in this land.

Sybaris King: You have my deepest gratitude, Althen.

Merovech: Let us hope that is enough to end this…

AAutUA7.png

Fade to black...

9hapBRZ.png

And that's the last dialogue thingy! Anyways, that's all for now. Next time, watch as we have our first real fort assault chapter!

That's kind of the point?

Oh, and Raizen is in his late 20's to 30ish he's got a fresh face, man

Okay, it just feels kinda odd when the narration lies to us...really, I'm more used to the characters doing it.

The CHAPTER 6 PRELUDE!

IEqSxN3.pngaN8RKjq.png

Does something feel off? It's because there was no map scene before this particular chapter.

Raizen: We’ll be moving out shortly.

Vance: Then, we’ll get ready too.

Raizen: Don’t forget, your group is critical to our success. Hit them hard and fast.

5mNKPUv.png

Woo! We got a knight!

Raizen: He is a sturdy soldier and he will prove useful.

Vance: An extra hand is always welcome. I’m sure he’ll fit in just fine.

Man, the chain of command in this army is so messed up. Corvan is apparently a cut above a normal soldier rank-wise, and yet some random mercenaries that were just hired not only surpass him into command, but also get to absorb him into their group.

lldf7qc.png

Raizen: One more thing.

DkATCxM.png

Great! Whether this will actually matter remains to be seen.

Vance: Finally, some good news.

Raizen: Exactly. I’ve sent word back saying to meet you at our location. Then you can both join up with us at the capital.

Vance: Understood. Alright, then, good luck to you.

Raizen: You as well. Farewell.

gwFLvrc.png

Some ride off into the distance. Normally, I could use this to tell what class Raizen is, but I didn't get a good screenshit and can't remem-oh wait, is that an NPC?

ZLvJg6U.png

Vance: Hmm? Oh, hello. You know, I don’t think I ever got your name.

IUJnvdM.png

Lucile: It’s nice to meet you.

Vance: Likewise. My name’s Vance. So, how are you holding up.

Lucile: About… as well as I could be. Are you and your friends leaving?

Vance: Yeah. Sybaris is going after Mora’s capital. They’re going to try to force a surrender. We can’t have any of Mora’s troops hounding us. It would leave our backs exposed when we fight Aksum.

naJJ3Ar.png

So, while the main army is away, we have to just attack a random fort. Clearly the best use for awesome mercenaries.

Vance: That way they can’t reinforce the capital when it goes down.

Lucile: I see. Well, I’d like to repay you for your kindness.

Vance: You don’t have to do anything. We honestly didn’t do much for you.

Lucile: So you say, but I feel differently. Other than staying with the supply van… I don’t really have anywhere to go. No one to talk to.

The supply van? Oh, I SO called it.

Vance: What about your other folks from the village?

Lucile: We’re really only acquaintances. I know them about as well as I know you. I was wondering if I could travel with you.

Vance: What we’re doing is pretty dangerous. Can you fight?

Lucile: No…I’ve never enjoyed fighting. However, before my village was destroyed, my family ran their own business. I often helped them. Because of that I’m rather good at handling items. I could keep track of things you’ve obtained.

Vance: Actually, our troop has grown in size recently. Keeping track of everything we’ve got would be helpful. Okay, then, Lucile, why don’t you come along? We’d appreciate the help.

Lucile: Thank you. I’m actually kind of excited now. And nervous. We’re doing something big, huh?

Vance: We’re going up against one of the biggest countries in Pandosia. There’s no way this will be an easy fight. But, I feel like we’re fighting for the right reasons. So, I’m gonna face this head on.

Lucile: Mmm… I agree. Aksum took everything away from me. I…don’t think I can forgive them.

Vance: You don’t have to. You’ve got every reason to be furious.

Lucile: Right…But, holding on to hatred like that… It kind of eats you up on the inside, you know?

Lucile: Anyway, should we get going?

Vance: …Yeah, that’s a good idea. Let’s go.

8PqR2VX.png

Vance: Hmm…

Not sure what's going on there...

08hoUWF.png

Fade to black...

7rTT8yp.pngXXBDR2w.png

And then we teleport to the fort!

Corvan: Indeed. This fortress is actually one of the few Mora has. The old king of Sybaris did little for this region.

Vance: Back when Mora was still part of this country?

Corvan: Yes. I’ve heard that out of all the provinces, Mora was the most impoverished of them all. The people fought tool and nail for their freedom. They scraped out what existence they could. For Aksum to try to take some of that away… Well…this battle leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

This is likely the most regret the characters will feel for attacking a nation that did literally nothing wrong in this conflict, and just happened to be a victim...

Vance: Whatever your feelings, just remember that they don’t feel the same. They’re on Aksum’s side and won’t feel guilty about gutting you.

Corvan: Right. I’ll keep that in mind.

Annnnnd it's gone.

Vance: Alright, we make for the throne, then. Move out, everyone! Let’s grab their attention!

CVZxqN8.png

END DIALOGUE

Still enjoying that prep screen!

yZKAmw6.png

Oh, what? Unit limits ALREADY?

SSqsZTn.png

That's better. From here on out, Ava will likely never be used, except for the one talk convo she has next chapter, the follow-up to the Buck one.

Oops. Spoilers.

Also, Prime, typically, when you get a new character handed to you in normal FE, they appear after you exit the prep screen, or they show up on the prep screen but are required. Sure, this way is more convenient, but it feels so un-traditional.

qRKVSA5.pngYUqRL6b.png7KAmaSq.png

WOAH. This guy is the 4x armor TIMES TEN! Seriously, you guys just wait until you see his growths! Not to mention, he's taking full advantage of his axe secondary weapon. I can tell already, if I can actually get this guy to the front lines, he'll own!

qPx1bbB.png

I do some inventory rearrangement, although since we only JUST got the convoy, there still isn't much I can do. I do empty the inventory of Ava, though.

V3r6D7H.png

Let's look at the map! There aren't any shops, and Sylvia has 5 heal charges...my literally ONLY hope is for there to be the traditional "earlygame mend chest" in here.

41A7WhM.png

This fort is jam-packed with enemies, but we're the ones who are on the attack this time.

YFmuKfS.png

A surprisingly non-generic description accurately reflects the plight of these poor guys...

clbNP2B.png

Hey look. renamed monks!

4XAXfNz.png

...Why would there be a droppable tome?

SPOILER: I missed something HUGE when going through the enemies. Read the rest of the update and try to guess what it is.

iaglcFl.png

A gust tome! Shouldn't be a problem keeping Torie away...

4jy0JVd.pngDyjPuVf.png

Keys abound, not to mention an interestingly-placed longbowman.

YvVK2zJ.png

Here's the boss's area. Lots of enemies to overcome.

6KOjj7i.pngjh4WPKm.png

The boss has replaced a javelin with a short spear. Still, he shouldn't be too much trouble.

XRbN9OP.png

We have one more thing to look at...

LgVObhg.png7qhFK3j.png

Yup. That sure is a tent you got there, miss.

Okay, now for growths!

CORVAN'S GROWTHS:

HP: 80%

Strength: 45%

Speed: 30%

Defense: 50%

Resistance: 40%

Total: 305%

WOAH. Normally, knights in FE will sacrifice resistance for defense. But not this guy. He has the HIGHEST res growth on the team save Sylvia, and the highest def growth save nobody! His strength is great as well, AND his speed isn't even that bad! This guy is gonna be amazing, I can tell already.

LUCILE'S GROWTHS:

HP: 200%

Strength: 10%

Skill: 20%

Speed: 90%

Luck: 100%

Defense: 45%

Resistance: 40%

Total: 505%

Best growth total on the team. Wow. Who could have expected that.

You know, in the first version, there was an obligatory time limit on this chapter. So glad its gone, I like to take my time.

Well, this is really it. The last chapter that was in the first patch. It's all blind from here on out!

Edited by TheMoniker

I knew Corvan's growths were good, because when I played through the game most of his stats were around 17-18, with the rest save speed being at least 10 at level 17 or so, which didn't matter because he took zero damage from most units.

if I can actually get this guy to the front lines

Part of the reason I removed the time limit on this chapter (the other part being that the plot/premise had changed). Corvan saw like no action under the time limit with his 4 move. I don't force his usage because there's not really any reason to force it.

Sorry everyone, I would have updated earlier, but the area I live in had a minor power outage...anyways...

The Road to Ruin: Episode 9: Chapter 6: The Fort of Magic and Pain

w0TAYr6.png

A very uneventful first turn, the only notable things are magic and pain.

Suddenly, the boss speaks!

ysXbDC1.png

Boss: It must be Sybaris. Grr…Curse them! Men! Make sure to cause them pain! No mercy for the Sybaris scourge!

b4IFoB3.png

Soldier: Yeah, it looks like some Sybaris fools are here. Who are you though? You’re not one of ours.

Weird person: I’m an acolyte from the Church of Faith. I have come to spread the word of the saint, Iona. Tell me, sir, do you walk in Iona’s Light? Perhaps not? Then let me tell you of Iona’s glory!

Soldier: Oh great, a white-robe. Look, miss, I’m not into all that grace stuff. Save it for someone who cares.

52hLe3y.png

Weird person: If only everyone could walk in the Light. It is my mission to spread Iona’s word. I’m scared to think that out there, right now, some poor, uneducated soul does not know of their grace. I shall find this empty soul and educate him! He shall know of his mundane ways and change for the better!

This lady may or may not be secretly some sort of statement/parody Prime is trying to do on religious people. It's just ambiguous enough that there's no way to know.

dBZaGAU.png

Yeah, I totally missed her on the prep screen. My bad.

PFyL15Y.pngeyjYbGJ.pngvC7Dv7D.png

Melusine is our first, honest-to-goodness magic user. And she's really good! Like Corvan, she has okay stats in a lot of things that her class would normally not have. We will so be using her.

6i6s6op.png

May I just say it's weird that these mages have such high defense? It's the exact same as their RES, in fact.

5lku1ub.png

Corvan gets some action. This is why he is amazing.

GEpvZ2h.png

Kristoph messes up. No problem, he should get it eventually, right?

ieMRQm9.png

Hey, I can always dole out a little forgiveness!

WbZlB2S.png

Hugo, I expect better from you!

BcbxSE7.png

Here's our setup. That random fighter back there is more than happy to murder Lucile should you not leave a unit behind.

PIAMLrA.pngpWl1tIv.png

Torie really needs some defense.

IMJrV0X.png

Dangit Jorin, you started so GOOD! Why do you have to suddenly stop getting strength and all other useful things?

YYfCI7v.png

Kristoph will be luring out Melusine.

38egQld.png

Vance is the BEST merc.

vEdt7bY.png

Wait, Melusine doesn't move? I guess that makes sense...I suppose it might make her recruitment easier.

HcH0SVo.png

Buck is the BEST archer.

dBks0Qm.png

Our setup again. No time limit, so we're taking this very slooooowly.

mawN2Il.png

Kristoph! You can't let those enemies use their glitch powers! Only we're allowed to use those!

IeRL4iM.png

AGH!

aNXrs3N.png

Oh hey, a thi-WAIT WAIT NO! SYLVIA'S HEAL IS ALMOST GONE! WE NEED THAT MEND SOOOOO BAD!

NN3r4bV.pngaXDXRRb.png

Hugo! Smash! Now!

FHY7i3T.png

Kristoph! Door! Now!

GrUWA65.png

Torie! Your worthless butt on that potential escape point! Now!

OsLhdAb.png

We all VERY CAREFULLY try to avoid this mage, specifically.

8GgWO1w.png

It's not enough.

8PgtFto.png

This time, we push forth!

EgGjHCx.pngIiA1OOF.png

The enemies put him at near-death range...

oE7vbdq.png

And then, in the at-death range.

Buck death quote: Crud…I’m finished…

1hAT3pt.png

Man...

s3nfpbh.png

This time, Buck shifts slightly to a much safer position.

QMeBhKX.png

Turns out its the winning strategy. They try to get at Corvan, but they just CAN'T. Well, at least not lethally.

Rrw1zdI.png

That was the winning strategy! Also, this thief doesn't budge an inch...maybe I didn't have to be so worried...

MNLqySB.png

This could work...but, I don't want to get poisoned.

vcUMYWz.png

Much better.

dJ69BtA.pngV2VCPrq.png

Torie finished, and gains a full 100 XP from the thief. And a point of strength! And a mend!

CHh6hem.png

Really, Hugo is just an amazing knight-smasher when given the poleaxe. Who needs magic for these guys when you have Hugo?

CY17nSe.png

Even Vance's sucky levels contain good things.

rKXNYD1.png

Not so for Sylvia, however.

7yjyft8.png

This myrm doubles Jorin! The guy seriously needs to get some speed.

u38HGc7.png

The myrm and these two are both new.

vx0Ppcf.pngEy94xel.png

Did I mention they're carrying some surprises?

GsNAiwA.png

Hurrah, a semi-special weapon.

1HqE4Pf.png

Someone said Kristoph was reliable.

They LIED.

Ed8FIcc.png

Corvan picks up the slack.

lLl4Cu3.png

R8yR8qE.png

Next turn, more of the same dudes. With the same "special" weapons.

iUhX9xJ.png

Yes! Our healer is BACK!

NPK7aDp.png

Turns out Hugo is actually the one to recruit this lady.

L2y00it.png

Melusine: Hmm? Yes, what is it?

Hugo: There’s some o’ fightin’ goin’ on here. I’d hate to see a fine lady like you get hurt.

Melusine: You seek to protect me? Thank you so much. To possess such a thoughtful soul… You must walk in the Light like me, yes?

Hugo: The Light? What’s that? Never heard of it.

Melusine: What!? How could you have not heard of the Light? Surely you’ve at least heard the name of Iona? The Goddess of Faith?

Hugo: Not that I can recollect.

Melusine: You poor soul… Wait! This is it! You are the one I’ve been searching for!

Hugo: For little old me?

Melusine: You are one of the lost souls I was told of! Those who have not heard of the Goddess’s teachings.

JMmDns4.png

Melusine: I will teach you of Iona’s Light. With my help you shall become a better person!

Hugo: Gee, that does sound swell. Er…Do I have to pay anything?

Melusine: Nonsense! You learning of the Light is payment enough. My name is Melusine. What is your name?

Hugo: My name’s Hugo.

Melusine: Come, Hugo! Let us be off. There is much we need to discuss.

gPW5Rc5.png

The text kind of starts auto-scrolling here. I couldn't catch the words, but they weren't important.

3rXz47t.png

Melusine: Let us get moving!

Hugo: Gosh, this lighting stuff seems complicated.

xZYj3uC.pngAozECI9.png

Heh heh.

Melusine goes and...

KR2qPLx.png

SPREADS THE LIGHT!

S3iiOnW.png

Hurrah! A good level!

Oo1gkIm.png

We've taken the first portion of the fort. On to the boss area!

GoER2LV.png

Archer: I...I think I see a light...

Melusine: GOOD.

usqDJDP.png

xIIjfSZ.png

Beautiful.

VV1vGZu.png

Corvan and...Torie? They will blockade!

BDFej5M.png

BEST BLOCKADE EVER.

vR9K1F6.png

Of course, now more are here.

NvBqPuD.png

Hey look! MORE SPEED!

gbCMwLG.png

Just about everyone left up here is bait-and-switch AI.

69kQYAD.png

OW! Forgot about those.

Y2hcHQG.png

Hey there myrm.

efY9GrX.png

Melusine will lure out both these mages.

tAAg6JK.png

NO. YOU CAN NOT MAKE HER SEE THE LIGHT. SHE MAKES YOU SEE THE LIGHT.

P4Vh2qN.png

Well, that's ONE desperately-needed stat.

Ro3pXMf.png

Almost done.

uFe7pNK.png

Everybody piles into the top area.

GIzhQyC.png

Always a good thing.

Gy2nvmf.pngaQd1IXL.pngj1jjjJM.png

Teamwork!

lg0VYht.png

Awww, look at the widdle boss, all alone on his throne...

rYzUjSO.png

Looks like Hugo ISN'T an insta-win solution.

2qFNCJs.pngVklUljs.png

He weakens anyways.

tE9bfKo.pnguXn4dp8.png

Everyone chips in! I think Buck actually missed a shot here...

R5ZEjUA.png

I let the newbie have the kill.

JbHTQse.png

Melusine: SEE THE LIGHT! SEE IT! SEE IT!

P87Nnw2.pngVoNS5v8.png

Melusine: My job here is done.

A8uv4TY.png

Savestates reveal a lack of an alternate boss quote for Vance.

Phew, long update! I'll post Melusine's growths in the conclusion.

Melusine actually is not viewable from the prep screen so you didn't miss anything.

Really? Well, I was wondering how I managed to miss her...

The CHAPTER 6 CONCLUSION!

xM5RJqY.png

Sylvia grinds with her new staff and gets a nice level.

jDqrZI4.png

Convos!

Kristoph: Hey, Vance! Wait up a sec!

Vance: Hmm? Oh, hey there. You’re the new guy, right? Kristoph was it?

Kristoph: Yeah! That’s me! I never got a chance to really introduce myself to you.

Vance: Yeah, sorry about that. With everything that’s happened… Well, I’ve just had a lot on my mind.

Kristoph: Hey, don’t worry about it. I hear you’ve all had a rough time lately.

Vance: That’s for sure. But, I’d rather not talk about that. I’ve been going over it all too much. So, tell me about yourself, Kristoph. Where are you from?

Kristoph: Oh, I’m from Tiryns. I recently finished my five year tour.

Vance: Five years in the military… So, you’re a full citizen then, huh? I’m guessing you’re taking The Journey?

Kristoph: Yeah! Though, how did you know about that? Outside folks normally don’t know about The Journey. Wait, are you from Tiryns too?

Vance: …Yeah.

Kristoph: Oh, okay. That makes a lot more sense then. When did you finish? Who was your C.O.? Mine was Captain Granks. Man, that guy was a real downer for sure.

Kristoph: …Did I say something wrong?

Vance: …I… never finished.

Kristoph: Oh… So…you’re a Shadow, then. Never thought I’d meet one. You’re, uh, not quite how they painted back home.

Vance: Kristoph, what exactly are you trying to do on The Journey?

Kristoph: Huh? Oh, well, you’re supposed to go see the world, right? Get out there and accomplish something? I want to do something big. Something I can tell everyone back home about with pride. Serving in the war between Aksum and Sybaris seems pretty big.

Vance: Glory and honor… The prime motivator of any good Tirynian. Of course, I’m not a very good Tirynian. At least not according to anyone back home.

Kristoph: …..

Vance: I’m happy to have you along in this fight. But, I have to know… Are you okay with taking orders from me? A Shadow?

Kristoph: My C.O. always said Shadows were good for nothing lazys. But… you just don’t strike me as anything like that. I’m not sure how to feel. ….. Okay, I’ve made up my mind.

Vance: And?

Kristoph: Folks say a lot of bad things about the shadows. But, you don’t fit very many of them. I’m going to try to look past the stigma. Look past it and learn about the guy behind it.

Vance: Thanks, Kristoph. That means a lot to me.

Kristoph: Mmm… Alright, let’s do this! Time to show what I’m made of! Let’s go!

Well, that started as another "Vance acknowledges new person", but then it segues into backstory. Vance's backstory actually makes me curious, so I hope that we learn more about it in this patch.

Wwf9KTd.png

That's the only one for this chapter, so let's move out.

SgjAfaR.png

Vance: General Raizen said that Prydain is sending reinforcements. Let’s secure this place and wait for them to show up.

T3bqNra.pngyzU8duA.png

Torie: The Prydain troops are here now.

ELzWWTC.png

TYPOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Vance: Prydain, huh? I’ve never been out East. I wonder what they’re like…

Qp4z3EM.pngUcJe0G5.png

Hey there, guy! You look oddly familiar...this chapter was in the last patch, so maybe I recognize you from there?

Vance: Yeah, my name’s Vance. I lead these mercenaries.

Prybro: Ha! Looks like you don’t need any help at all. Got the place locked up pretty good. Nice job, merc!

Vance: Thanks, um…

Prybro: The name’s General Russel from Prydain. It’s good to meet ya.

Vance: You too. Hmm…

Russel: What? Not what you’d expect from a Pryd?

Vance: Well…I mean… I’ve always heard that Pryds were sort of (pause) high society.

Russel: Ha! If I were a city slicker you’d be right. I’m from out in the country. We don’t take to any of that fancy stuff.

Vance: Fine by me. I prefer you more than a stuffed up aristocrat.

Russel: Ain’t that the truth. Anyway, down to business. It looks like things here are under control. Raizen’s message said to meet him at the Moran capital.

Vance: Yeah, he wants to force a surrender out of them.

Russel: Good thinking. Can’t have them nippin’ our rears. Aksum would have a hay day with that. Alright, we’ll be moving out then. I’ll leave a few folks here to keep things calm. Are you comin’ along?

Vance: Yeah. General Raizen wanted us to head over after meeting you.

Russel: Dandy. Well, let’s not waste any time then.

ar8igHe.png367B0FD.png

Vance: Definitely not what I expected a general from Prydain to be like.

uRA0kd3.png

From what I can tell, Prydain only sent four dudes...this will get even more odd next chapter.

Also, if you look closely, you can see a new class, the axe cavalier. We'll be seeing a lot more next time...

JBpYco1.png

OOHH! Another gaiden! The last one was fun, hopefully this one will be just as good!

Next time: Hopeless Defense

Melusine's growths(because I forgot):

MELUSINE'S GROWTHS:

HP: 65%

Magic: 45%

Speed: 45%

Defense: 30%

Resistance:45%

Total: 300%

Her growths are stunningly average, especially for a light user. You know, a theme I've noticed in this hack is units having surprisingly good growths(I mean...in proportion to their other bad growths) in stats you'd think they'd be pathetic in. Melusine should turn out okay, and we really need both magic users and double-ing speed units on our team right now, of which she is both.

The CHAPTER 6x PRELUDE!

LFR0FGO.pngXAm1A1J.pngqx73Mmk.png

N: An all-out assault has been ordered on the small nation, lest Sybaris find their backs blocked while engaging Aksum.

WYk6dWX.png

Wait...SERIOUSLY? This is literally the most ironic thing EVER!

KALJg0X.png

Oh wow, this is actually really interesting. Playing as a side you basically know is going to lose...

N: However, Mora is small, as is its defense.

NrUqPI6.pngtHQAZEN.png

Fade to black...

arFX5sD.png

uBeZtQt.png

There seem to be plenty of dudes here...and the map looks interesting as well...

24MyKX4.png

Mora, the captain guy, O'Riley, Aaron, and... a sniper? Well, all of them come onscreen.

NZemW5i.pngZdLdBWU.png

WHAT? They brought YORLU, the nigh-invincible uberguy from Chapter 4? Maybe we have a chance after all!

Yorlu: An honor, to be sure. I am Major Yorlu, sent by his majesty. Sybaris is nearly at your doorstep. How do you intend to respond?

Kraval: These savages have taken everything from us. They’ve burned down homes and slaughtered my people! Mora rose up forty years ago against such tyranny. Yet, here it comes again! It comes to pillage the land, staining it with blood! Many of my people are no warriors. But, we will defend this hold with what we can. I will make sure Sybaris knows justice!

Yorlu: Well said, milord. Well said. We are here to help put steel to your words. Sybaris’s…transgressions must be laid to rest.

toG3JtA.png

Kraval: Yes, of course.

mfOLm9E.png

Then they exit the map. Hopefully they won't stay that way...

tv5qWR6.png

Aaron: What do you think, Captain? Do we stand a chance against Sybaris’s assault?

Elisavior: This won’t be an easy fight, that’s for sure. We don’t have the numbers to hold out for long. Our best bet is to play it safe. Be defensive.

In gameplay, this is sort of the right strategy to use, although there are plenty of potential defense points.

O’Riley: Better to take a step back and keep your head than for stickin’ your neck out for them to take a swing at. But, dammit if we aren’t under manned. The hell are the higher ups thinking?

hD01qOf.png

He's right! I mean, Aksum sent four soldiers! It feels so token...

Of course, keep in mind Prydain didn't send any more. WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT OUR ALLIES?

O’Riley: Some friendship the King declared on this one.

Aaron: Why? To weaken the enemy? …..

LlpUfJM.pngw98KArq.png

The tone of this chapter is sort of bleak-laced-with-HONORNESS.

Elisavior: If you give up now you’re as good as dead. Play it safe and trust in your lance arm. We’ll come out alright. Call it soldier’s intuition.

Aaron: You’re right, Captain. I can’t give in just yet. I just have to stay focused.

O’Riley: There’s a good lad. Don’t be going soft on me, ya hear?

Aaron: Ha…I’ll try, O’Riley.

YXVYsZ3.png

3q2BJFU.pngwQtxnVY.pngoRY1zAp.png

They take over the castle, and then Raizen is here! Of course, he's in an area of the map you can't get to.

Raizen: They won’t be giving us any quarter! Do not let that deter you from fighting! Remember! We fight for honor and innocence!

y8UHj2u.pngm4eZVSX.pngOMAbozD.png

Looks like they have a bit more morale than us! And for good reason!

wNvevGd.png

Oh hey, they're back!

Yorlu: We’ll be holding out through this siege. These Sybaris brigands are worthless! Get into position and grind them into the ground!

Aaron: Sir! What will you be doing?

7hBIkyM.png

NATURALLY.

Yorlu: None of these peasants seem competent enough to use them. Goddesses, they better not be rusted over. Make sure you don’t die like a fool.

Z1PDVl2.png

Yorlu: The worst commander ever.

Aaron: …..

K6aT5id.png

N: Position your units strategically to defend the castle. Aaron’s death will cause a game over in this chapter.

6VWyljE.png

N: Be sure to plan accordingly. Good luck.

Well, that's good to know. I won't show off their death quotes unless they actually die. Besides, how the heck would one even kill Yorlu?

DcreVkJ.png

So, here's our main force. We are actually given control of everyone, including Kraval, the Captain, and Yorlu. Yorlu's area actually is connected to the rest of the map, so you could potentially bring him around to the front lines if you wanted. It would take many turns, though, and he's a sniper, who won't be able to counter on enemy phase...

YHazEP6.png

Plenty of enemies are here.

Fycb3AY.png3XMMkjY.png

Aaron or O'Riley may have leveled up, I'm not sure.

QxHRi43.png0E1qqMH.png

Kraval outmatches O'Riley in every way. He's good to have around.

ExY5IoZ.png

Yorlu is Yorlu.

0FznwxH.pngedmun0J.pngQ98Afgx.png

The captain outmatches Aaron in almost every way. Also, I was wrong to name him "Elisavior", because he actually has Ephraim's class. You have to admit it sounds better than "Ephraimior" though.

17XoBZO.png

This is the "main" combat area, where much of the fighting will occur.

Look closer at those generics...

EoHITgM.png

Because they are ALL returning mooks from last gaiden! This makes no story sense, because most of them apparently died, not to mention they're wearing entirely different armor and are soldiers of a totally different country.

JKDq9Sc.png

I'm sure you're all curious...

rn6bKAA.pngr4usklk.png

Yes, turns out General Raizen actually isn't a general! He's a Paladin! And not even that amazing of one, at that. He MIGHT move, I wasn't able to check. If you used the cavalier to ferry Yorlu, and he did, presumably you could kill Raizen...but he probably doesn't move, making it a moot point.

W63z3ts.png

Samuel is here as well. I will show him off when he actually appears as a recruitable/recruited unit.

jgAYh1u.png

Behind us, there is a totally empty portion of the map. Does it have some hidden purpose? We will find out.

7FV9Gsl.png

Here is some more map to feast your eyes on.

Next time, watch as EVERYBODY DIES!

Ummmm... what?

19f5f5fd4d2c8ac0c04c2fc0655da1f2.png

I disagree.

Dangit, I guess I should have looked closer. Oh well. Hey, at least now everyone gets to see the nice map in all its glory!

The Road to Ruin: Episode 10: Chapter 6x: 8 Turns of Suffer

BZEZ3Nv.png

I just have Yorlu wait right at the start. In retrospect this may have been a bad idea, but the ballista only has 5 uses, and the extra is quite far away...

Before we continue, I would like to say something. The enemy has gained many levels since we last fought, and thus, you'd think our mooks would have more levels to match, right?

...Right?

IJXHpZx.pngtYg9Hc3.png

WRONG. Our troops are outmatched in just about every way, and these is little we can do about it. Seriously, 6 levels higher? I know you're trying to make our situation seem but hopeless, Prime, but this seems a bit much...

1oymNfV.png

Surely, out armor can take a few hits?

r2BYYL6.png

Two bugs! We have to go 8 turns, not 7! And Vance isn't our commander!

SHUoW8r.png

Liberal use of the pillars is somewhat required.

As44y7Y.png

Here's our setup. I hope to minimize casualties by making our units into a giant wall.

NARWKON.png

Not a good start!

ruoGgXg.png

The merc is almost immediately chopped to bits, pillar and all!

YHky1np.png

Oh dear lord...we don't stand a chance...

Kk04pS4.png

They tore through THE INVINCIBLE ARMOR like he was BUTTER!

XYI973l.png

That's all the casualties of first turn...Looks like Raizen has something to say.

Pln0qO1.png

Raizen: Oh, Samuel. No, I’m fine.

Samuel: If you don’t mind me asking…

Raizen: What is it?

Samuel: You were just recently promoted, right?

Raizen: Yes, that’s right. Kind Dalman and the Senate uncovered a plot. It seems my predecessor was actually a double agent.

Samuel: Really? That’s insane!

Raizen: We were able to trace his family history back to Aksum. It seems he’s a distant cousin to the king. And his treachery was right under our noses. The general was poorly directing troops on purpose. He intended to leave our forces weak and Aksum’s task simple.

Hey! That explains a LOT! All those pathetically small strike forces sent on missions they couldn't possibly complete...it's sort of an interesting way of explaining why the earlygame guys you face are always so weak and small-numbered.

Samuel: Sounds like he left you with a big mess.

Raizen: You could say that. Though, things would’ve been difficult for me either way. It’s not easy leading troops into battle.

Samuel: Well, I’ve got your back, General Raizen! You’ve turned things around for us. Things looked pretty bad before. But, I feel like we’ve got a chance to win now. A chance to set things right.

Raizen: I hope so, Samuel. I really do.

KSt3dE5.pngJdkv1h4.png

More dudes from the top and bottom. How are we gonna kill the armor if all our dudes are so weak?

QnLVG5U.png

Everyone tries their best. The armor did manage to weaken this guy before going out.

27toMHR.png

Yorlu has an unchanging 25% crit. It can be helpful, or it can fail.

Y8yw7Ar.png

It chooses to be helpful.

Q2iqrn5.png

Luckily, we do still have a few competent people. Otherwise, this chaper really would be hopeless!

wrsmqTR.pngaXCSDho.png

Of course...it might be anyway...

60GPwKj.png

The captain is also very competent and helpful. He can really help with the initial wave, don't be afraid to put him in danger.

lhsHLoh.png

He can handle it.

dTFlknc.png

Kraval himself is also really great. Use him liberally, that HP can take a lot.

J9ONNtZ.png

Really, a lot of this chapter is "use your four good guys to wipe the dudes while the generics try not to die too horribly".

BUCqsOx.png

Second turn setup. Still plenty of enemies, but we're looking...kind of okay.

9qIC6qg.png

d69qfEV.png

Oh wow, it seems there IS some justice in the world! Note that this doesn't actually one-shot the guy, and Aaron has to kill him on double.

lBwiQ6B.png

Third turn, many enemies are coming from the bottom.

W5jSddw.png

But the top has even more...

V15pMfZ.png

THIS is how we kill the armor.

p9noRnl.png

Surely the captain can take a simple axe to the face?

bfbU8iQ.png

Up top, O'Riley is the only competent one assigned to the task. In retrospect I should have gotten a promoted guy up here.

a6Unhc3.png

This segment of the map is so worrying...what will it do?

PUtE2JM.png

This captain seems to be favored by the RNG. Pity we likely won't get to use him in the future.

i3XwdQ1.png

Uh huh...

IO6Lur3.png

Not my most lamentable loss.

whgrJPv.pngJ01itdH.png

More from down here, and up there.

eKHuBsC.png

Block it off, O'Riley! You can do it!

mTHvx6t.png

Why must everybody fail me?

4xBthBy.png

Everyone but you, Kraval.

gkQmAm7.png

This fighter is so weak he gets OUNE-ROUNDED by the archers. Seriously?

4DgqX0z.png

He swings and...

gG9KUBs.png

Hits. The axe, uh, came back around and smacked the archer again magically.

IKk2eN9.png

Believe it or not, I think we actually have a handle on things! Note that the captain is on the bottom all alone...

vly58gD.png

Take your killer axe...AND KILL!

0FpeYfS.png

Best captain ever. Wish he was on my team/10

u5ZE7pP.png

Another archer comes in, and this fighter is so ashamed he wishes he could just disappear. His wish is granted, apparently.

tSm1PMk.pngsyVGCYv.png

More from down here and up here.

5ZtZHop.png

The captain took some hits offscreen, so I have him retreat a bit...

cgIrMEV.png

Kraval tries bow combat. I'm not sure it's his thing.

SNMCI4f.png

Another kill for the generics!

tcPYdWZ.png

Rescuedropping saves him from a bloody death. TACTICS!

YgDOilH.png

Wait...a talk convo? Prime sent me a PM with ALL the talk convos, and this one wasn't on it! Makes me wonder if there are any more not on there... I'll show it off in the conclusion.

HQ4CyZi.png

Vulnerary! He will be on javelin duty.

E0cIwEL.png

AGAIN?

wWuYdO4.png

Someone slips through from behind and wipes the last of the archer's HP.

dYeRjd4.pngvtAgl20.png

MORE?

Okay, you know what? The captain isn't holding them all off on the bottom front, the top is under tons of pressure, and I'm nearly out of generics. It's safe to say I no longer have a proper hold on the situation.

mCy0fjI.png

SOUND THE RETREAT!

gMRn8Ot.png

Yup. No way we're holding them back.

2O2tMaz.png

m2SokAb.png

More reinforcements come from all four of the points I've showed throughout the update. During the last few turns, things go insane. I didn't know it at the time, but honestly, retreat was the right decision.

IKvVRhV.png

KEEP MOVING! WE CAN'T LET THEM CATCH US!

fZ5wwL2.png

Last turn. Yup. Retreat was DEFINITELY the right way to go.

kbLWGym.png

Hey, I figured out what this portion of the map is for!

cBizQ6d.png

The enemy phase is literally just 30+ enemies moving closer. Man...and nobody even attacks Yorlu, despite my placement.

fYaA1PD.png

At the end, more reinforcements come...

OjMFTct.png25vnHiO.png

NEXT TIME: THE EPIC CONCLUSION TO THE SIEGE OF MORA

I had fun with this chapter, but honestly, the generics felt almost too weak. They could stand a bit of buffing.

Oh man this chapter was a slaughter. Sorry I missed the 6x convo in the list I sent you. I fixed the turn count error for the status screen but Vance showing up is out of my control (this also happens in 4x).

The CHAPTER 6x CONCLUSION!

Reminder: After totally losing the castle, EVEN MORE troops are attacking us.

Also, there was a talk between Aaron and O'Riley.

Aaron: Say, can I ask you something?

O’Riley: Fire away, lad.

Aaron: What do you think of all this? This war and fighting for our lives.

O’Riley: It makes me angry.

Aaron: Angry?

O’Riley: Angry that decent, peace-loving folks are forced to fight. That families are torn apart and must bury their kin. You wanna know why this war was started at all? Because some lofty leader was touched in the head. That doesn’t have anything ta do with the common folk. We’re just little critters tryin’ ta get on with life. But then, some higher up steps in and ruins it. It’s just not right. I’ll fight ta make sure folks can have peace again. So that we critters can go back to doing what we do.

Aaron: You feel very strongly about this. I…wish I had your conviction. Your strength.

O’Riley: Pah, you’re just getting’ wishy washy on me. I thought you were a knight, Aaron? Knights are supposed ta be proud. Fearless. So, stand up straight.

Aaron: Ha, you have a way with words, O’Riley. Okay, let’s get back in there, then. Let’s save those critters so we can go home.

O’Riley: Now you’re talkin’ my language! Let’s get ta fightin’!

Cgt425m.png

Aaron: They just keep attacking and attacking. If this keeps up we’ll just die a miserable death… What do I do? …Surrender?

G62Hsjc.png

Russel and his guys enter from the back, as well as a merc who is presumably Vance.

zTsHAVp.png

Raizen: General Russel, you made it!

3IRLQ0l.png

Russel: Did you leave us any action? We came a long ways to get here. Some of my folks are a lil’ antsy.

Uh, nope! No action here!

ZfQrmej.png

Noooooo!

ZFPoNEO.pngsmCNPav.png

Oh thank goodness.

Raizen: Lay down your arms and surrender peacefully. On my honor as a knight I will order my men to stand down.

UfOJO7v.png

Aaron: No sense in throwing away our lives. Everyone! We did the best we could. Let’s be wise and keep our heads.

GIJHBx7.png

Fade to black...but it's not quite over yet.

YaAtPUM.png

Hey, where'd those soldiers come from? Also, can you spot Vance and co? Don't worry, they'll be sitting this cutscene out.

rGFTafI.png

Raizen: Stand down, Kraval. It’s over. Put down your weapon. On my honor we will settle this peacefully.

Kraval: You…beasts! How dare you talk of honor!? Where was your honor when you slaughtered my people!? When you burned their homes to ash!?

1xM8Izh.png

Kraval: She was in the village you brutes destroyed!

4OiUbbk.png

Woah! Man, it's jarring to see a "good" character just say "DIE!" like that...

A9KM7kz.png

NO KRAVAL, YOU CAN-oh hey, you actually have a good shot at it!

TM15aiS.pngQldhmsR.png

Two misses. NOT RIGGED OR ANYTHING.

HMYz2lH.png

Aaron: I wonder what happens now…

boJA4iA.png

O’Riley: Come on lad, let’s move.

Aaron: What? Just run? You really think that’s a good idea?

O’Riley: It’s better than being taken prisoner, lad. We lost the battle. There’s no warm bed and a mug o’ ale for us. They’ll throw us in the dungeon for sure. Or worse.

O’Riley: I know what you’re thinking. No, lad, we aren’t going to stay because of ‘honor’.

P7jSMXt.png

This line isn't necessarily out-of-character, it's just the way he says it...

Aaron: But, O’Riley—

O’Riley: Now, let’s move! The Major already high-tailed it out of here. The captain too.

O’Riley: I don’t care what Yorlu does, but the captain I do. He’d tell you to move yourself outta here. So, on with it!

They exit, leaving Mora all alone. Back to Kraval...

I8AH5jr.png

Kraval: Why won’t you fight me!?

Raizen: Don’t be a fool, Kraval. You’re smarter than that. Can’t you see? You’ve been duped! Sybaris is not your enemy.

Kraval: How so?

Raizen: Brutes would not have spared your men today. They would have brought siege engines with them. This castle would be rubble right now. Your soldiers…your people … you… would have died. If Aksum were truly your friend they would have sent more aid. Not just a token force to say they sent reinforcements.

Kraval: You lie! Aksum would not betray us!

Raizen: Then where are they now? Where is your Aksumian officer when you need him?

Kraval: He’s…

Raizen: Gone. Fled because Mora is no longer useful to him. Sybaris is not your enemy, Aksum is.

Kraval: No…

Raizen: Join us. Help us bring justice to those responsible for this.

Kraval: Mora has nothing left.

Raizen: Then join us in spirit. You needn’t fight to aid our cause.

Kraval: …You leave me no choice. The truth…is bitter to swallow.

Raizen: …..

PUagAZF.png

Well, it appears at least one person here has seen reason, even if Mora literally has only 2 troops left to aid us with.

gUvA4G6.png

Fade to black...

Qpy45DD.png3HpMXai.png

O’Riley: Why? Because if I hadn’t, you’d be rotting in a cell! You wanna waste away or do you want a fighting chance? Sybaris isn’t going to just let us go you know.

hGKbIa1.png

Elisavior: It may not have been our finest moment, but it was a prudent decision. At least this way we can still defend Aksum. We have a homeland to defend after all.

nUr7EG4.png

Yorlu: Mora is finished and it’s time to move on. We make for castle Minar, on the double!

Aaron: You would abandon our allies?

Yorlu: Allies? Those backwater peasants? As if. Kraval couldn’t lead sheep much less a country. Mora got what it deserved as far as I’m concerned. Now, I will have no more of this whimpering. Move out!

Xp9TBa1.png

Yorlu exits, and his character is firmly cemented as a complete, cowardly jerk.

Elisavior: At ease, Aaron. Mind yourself.

YVCLl4n.png

You know what, this captain has a lot of character for being a generic.

vYTa0xj.png

Aaron: How can he be so scathing?

Elisavior: I hear you soldier, I hear you. But, unless you want Sybaris to catch us, we need to keep moving. Let’s go.

Aaron: …Yes, Sir.

GeXB2nx.png

And on that rather sour note...

wT9e6Vx.png

We have what will likely turn into our second major failure to take a break.

Next time: Flashback ahoy!

You know what, this captain has a lot of character for being a generic.

He's got some sort of cult following. I'm not sure I completely understand it.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed this update. Looking forward to more.