Rare Games That You May Have Played

Naglfar94

Hello there guys well awhile back I wrote about the Starfy series and there were a shocking amount of people here who played it I thought I was only one.

So today I decided I will list down a bunch of rare obscure good titles that were released heh many are so underrated and unheard of it is sad as they are great games needs to be more exposed and again I am sure there will be atleast one person to have played them.. So yeah tell about your thoughts opinions and experience with any of these games if you want to that is okay here goes... Some are repeats as they were released on different platforms.

1.Nage Libre (SNES)

2.Nage Libre:Rasen no Soukoku (PS1)

3.Sutte Hakkun

4.Princess Minerva (SNES)

5.Princess Minerva (PC Engine)

6.BS Sutte Hakkun (could be any of them there are like 3)

7.Athena (Arcade version it is an old game by SNK and is known as one of the hardest games out there and it is I played it and barely made it)

8.Princess Maker (SNES there are some on other platforms but I don`t know them)

Romancing SaGa (SNES)

Romancing SaGa 2

Romancing SaGa 3

and umm that is it I will edit this list if I remember anymore games so yeah has anyone got the chance to touch any one of these games in this list atleast once?

Princess Maker is just wrong.

Also, if you're gonna list rare games, why don't you list games that were released outside of japan? You're really going easy mode.

Haha I see so you played Princess Maker? personally I like it I mean it is not the best game but it is pretty alright I am almost done playing it it is not good enough though to make me want to play twice heh one run is enough but it gameplay style is something I had never seen before.

Well eh if I had played some rare gems that were released outside Japan I would list them too but sadly I have not played any that can be considered er rare just the common stuff.

I can second the romancing Saga games.

Better than Final Fantasy, those.

Oooh whats this? another Romancing Saga fan? *gives high five* I love those games too so far I only played the 3 SNES ones I will play more of the series in the future.

I thought I was the only one who thought so I prefer Romancing Saga to Final Fantasy too and the music in SaGa games is absolutely outstanding you heard Seven Heroes battle theme? and regular attack theme of Romancing SaGa 2? ah it is great.

I like that compared to Final Fantasy the games have many characters you can recruit and a kinda permanent death thing like Fire Emblem so makes you want to keep characters alive. That and I love how the enemies unlike FF games get stronger as you grow no infinite grinding and expecting to have easy battles after no the enemies get stronger and change as you grow :P

But yeah the characters so many I mean how often do you see in other games you are able to recruit Fairy`s, Snowmen, Lizard Men and even a Lobster to your team? Lol heck even a wolf can join the party Sylvan from RS1.

...I really should get Xenoblade. Too bad it is expensive everywhere outside of used at Gamestop

I heard of Xenoblade it is an RPG game too correct? I like RPG games Xenoblade is quite popular I believe. I should look into playing that myself one day.

Haha I see so you played Princess Maker? personally I like it I mean it is not the best game but it is pretty alright I am almost done playing it it is not good enough though to make me want to play twice heh one run is enough but it gameplay style is something I had never seen before.

Didn't play it. Read an LP of it over on the LP archive. If I play a pet raising sim, I'd not like the pet to be my daughter, who I can end up fucking if I cared to.

Just saying.

I was going to ask if Xenoblade counted since it's not exactly underrated (it's in fact considered one of the best RPGs of the last generation among the people whp played it), but it barely sold since there was a limited amount of printed copies in America (and it barely even made it here).

I definitely would recommend it to any RPG fan though. The story and characters are great, the environments are huge(like really big) and gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic.

oh nice my kind of game then! I gonna do some research on it I gotta find what console it is on and such. And the story of course.

Xenoblade Chronicles was released on the Wii (and is barely available and really costly) and a New 3DS-exclusive re-release of the game was announced in Japan.

As for the story, it takes place on a world that is covered by an endless ocean in which 2 enormous titans stands. One is called the Mechonis and the other, the Bionis. These 2 titans once battled each other endlessly until they both dealt a mortal blow to their opponent. Milleniums later, Homs (humans), who were living on the remains of the Bionis were locked in a war against the Mechon, soulless machine that sought to slaughter them all. The war was won thanks to a hero wielding a peculiar sword, the Monado, who is extremely effective against the Mechon, but has the downside of wrecking the wielder's body. A year later, Shulk, is the one to inherit the Monado after the Mechon attack his home and then goes on a journey to discover the secrets of the mystical sword (especially after discovering that wielding the sword gave him the ability to see visions of the future) as well as to seek revenge against a peculiar Mechon that was unaffected by the Monado and caused the greatest amount of damage during the attack.

Edited by LuxSpes

Donkey_Kong_Country_-_North_American_Box

*ba-dum tisss*

Seriously though. I've played the tiniest bit of SNES Nage Libre, and I've always wanted to play the Athena arcade game (I love the character-both goddess Athena and Athena Asamiya- in KoF, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, etc.)

I've played a few obscure games in my day. The Langrisser series might be considered "rare", but I don't know if it's the best example. I would definitely love to see the games get more exposure, though.

Growlanser series. In my humble opinion, Growlanser 2 and 3's battle system was ahead of its time when they released back in 2003.

Ogre Battle, I guess that counts. still haven't beaten OB64

Also saying Romancing Saga series. 3 holds a special place to me and I'd really like to see 2 get a complete translation. (already beat the 1st one)

Brandish series, overlooked due to Ys and the Trails in the Sky games.

Langrisser series.

I opted to use the term 'series' instead of listing the individual games of each aforementioned series. I'll think of more later. As I know I can think of more

I've played a few obscure games in my day. The Langrisser series might be considered "rare", but I don't know if it's the best example. I would definitely love to see the games get more exposure, though.

Oh, so much this.

Though as much as I want the Langrisser series to get more exposure also, the series is finished.. or supposed to be after Langrisser 5 (I know about Schwarz, though)

How many of you guys have heard of the Shadow Hearts series? They're a JRPG series.

Let me tell you a bit about them. It all started with a game called Koudelka - I'll dub it "Shadow Hearts 0" - about a gypsy woman named Koudelka Iasant who stumbled upon a monastery where rituals have occurred to revive the dead. She pairs up with a dude named Edward Plunkett, a british fellow, who thought he could find beautiful women and riches upon riches there as well as Bishop James O'Flaherty.

Turns out the monastery is filled with ghosts, zombies, Eldritch horrors, Lovecraft references, and a strange old shaman named Roger Bacon. Everyone in the party basically hates each other until the halfway point, each member of the party are brutally sarcastic with one another (including the fact that Koudelka doesn't warn Edward about some poisoned food that some sketchy old couple provides them). The gameplay was clunky, but the cutscenes and voice acting were way ahead of their time in quality.

Shadow Hearts follows Yuri Hyuga, half russian half japanese man who has a voice in his head telling him to protect a woman named Alice who he saved in a train from a dude named Roger Bacon... who doesn't appear to be the same Roger Bacon as Koudelka. Yuri himself is rough around the edges - and not in the same sense as anime anti-heroes. He is a Harmonixer, so he can fuse with demons that arise due to malice obtained from the monsters that he defeats, which threaten to envelope his soul. This fear lingers in his head, that they'll consume him and turn him irrevocably into a demon (which is what happened to many Harmonixers). The sequel follows off the bad ending and shows how Yuri is coping with the way the previous game ended, and at this point he is one of those guys that has a sarcastic front but has basically almost entirely given up on life, so a bunch of the game is self-searching all while trying to stop Rasputin from leveling the country of Russia and also trying to stop Tsar Nicholas' bastard son.

I'd like to mention, Shadow Hearts takes place 6 months before World War I and Shadow Hearts: Covenant takes place during the heat of the war. You meet the entire royal family of Russia well before the Bolshevik revolution, and Anastasia Romanov is a playable character.

I'll also take this time to point out that both games have some very very very strange enemy designs... It also has a sick-nasty original sound track.

Shadow Hearts: From the New World is an entirely new cast of characters and it takes place in the Americas. The Americas aren't exaggerated at this point, and it takes places around a year before the Great Depression. The main characters are a New Yorker named Johnny Garland (who mysteriously wears jeans way before their invention) and a native american woman named Shania, dealing with the aftermath of one of the major events of Shadow Hearts: Covenant (namely the release of a large amount of Malice into the world at once). You engage in bootlegging, teaming up with Al Capone against prohibition, visiting Alcatraz, and dealing with various things in South America. America is not portrayed as this patriotic place like it seems in other Japanese media, it is portrayed quite fairly (also colorful, but that's a result of the game taking more of a turn towards the quirky rather than the horror/surreal/occultish elements).

It also has a very odd sense of humor...

man festival (exactly as macho and over the top as it sounds)

"that is one giant pussy" (safe for work)

there's a sidequest where you have to do favors for some dead people who couldn't rest in peace... one person said her biggest regret was that she died on the toilet without having anything to wipe with. The goal is to give her tissues (which you only really get if you whiff on the lottery in the game) so she can wipe herself from beyond the grave.

All the torture scenes have one where you can have the tortured character act like a masochist ("oh dehuai, you're so sexy, give it to me" for the innocent priest's daughter that you control in the first game)

It's also among the most emotional games I've played. The beginning of the second game has very little of that quirky humor, and it is very dark, and I don't want to go into it because it'll spoil the very very tragic ending of the first game. A lot of NPCs die and no villain in this game was truly evil - the entire struggle is about whether or not the ends justify the means, and the villains fight more for the ends and the protagonists fight for all those who suffer as a means to achieve those ends. You feel bad for every antagonist by the end of the game.

This remains one of the most powerful scenes I've seen in a video game. Also a very realistic portrayal of Japanese imperialism around that time.

Edited by Lord Raven

Ohh, Koudelka eh?

Yeah, I've played that, and I was just about to get Shadow Hearts, too.

I've got another one, the Kagero or Deception series, whichever name you prefer.

It's one of those games where you play the villian, (being an actual villian pending). You usually get wrapped in some nerfarious circumstance, get a base, castle or some such, and people come to either slay you or steal treasure, and the fun part is setting up traps to kill the intruders and the traps are all interesting.

So it's kind of like a game of cat and mouse(with traps)... in a very basic way of describing it

My description is shaky at best as I watched it played instead of playing it myself

I have a copy of Zelda: Collectors, which I saw in a retro game store for like 180 dollars over the summer.

Dragon Quest VII is a great game that has far less units in the west compared to Japan.

That's all I've got atm, might post more later.

I have a copy of Zelda: Collectors, which I saw in a retro game store for like 180 dollars over the summer.

Dragon Quest VII is a great game that has far less units in the west compared to Japan.

That's all I've got atm, might post more later.

I have a copy of Zelda: Collectors too! I don't remember what I bought it for but I'm pretty sure it was under $50. I also just remembered that I have Suikoden I and II as well as Ikaruga for the GCN.

I guess Langrisser games aren't being made anymore, but I say it's well worth looking into them.

Brandish series, overlooked due to Ys and the Trails in the Sky games.

Speaking of this, I just got a copy of Brandish: Dark Revenant a few days back, super hyped to play it~

I'm surprised. I've never played Koudelka, just went through cutscenes and stuff because of her role in Shadow Hearts. What did you think of it?

It didn't have much in the way of standing out, the story could've been fleshed out more I think, but it was pretty good overall.

You have a variety of weapons and magics and they have proficiency, meaning anybody could use anything, even though your party was pretty set in their roles so, diversity was a bit minimal. weapons could break and that was a randomly funny when it happened.

And as an added bonus you could rename your items, didn't mean much, but I liked it.

I've only seen the Golden Sun series mentioned here once,so I'd say that.I haven't seen much other "rare" games around here,so Golden Sun may be the only one.

eyy mah man

Rare games... Golden Sun 1 and TLA, dunno how "rare" Dark Dawn is. Riviera: The Promised Land for GBA also, that game was kinda under the radar.

I guess the only other ones I can think of are SMT1 and 2, Ogre Battle and King's Field.