Levi's Simple Sprites

Levin64

Hi it's Levi here. It's been already 6 months since I registered here. I was so busy, new school and such. Anyway, this post is simple, it's about my FE mugshots. Doing FE mugshots is what I do for these 2 years, but yeah it was soooo crappy for the first time, but I'm improving well... These are my mugs.. If they look like splices, sorry, I'm doing the best I could.

Peregrin_zps24ade027.png?t=1415971074Arthrus_zps0c24d763.png?t=1415971062Khris_zps56458d11.png?t=1415971069Ren_zpsb7ed40ce.png?t=1415971082

The names from left to right are Peregrin, Arthrus, Khris, and Ren.

I'm still improving, so tell me what you think!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are good splices and pretty clean to boot. I'm fond of Khris' body, the combination of pieces is kind of cool there. He does have a big forehead though, and I think Ren's headband could use a bit more refining.

I think moving forward it would be cool if you experimented a bit more with the pieces themselves, if you break things down you can use them in a variety of ways beyond their original use. Definitely take a look at (or join if you haven't already :D) the splice competition if you're interested in improving~ A lot of creativity in there, it's also really fun to participate in and helped me personally improve a lot

Thanks for the opinions!

The only things I can notice that need work are that Khris and maybe Arthrus have too big of foreheads. Maybe move hair down or put more in.

For Arthrus it's fine by me and my friends, I asked them, as for Khris I'll edit his mug then.

These are good splices and pretty clean to boot. I'm fond of Khris' body, the combination of pieces is kind of cool there. He does have a big forehead though, and I think Ren's headband could use a bit more refining.

I was pretty bored while making Khris' body so it became like that. XP As for Ren, yeah I can see that, I'll edit his mug later.

I don't have much spare time for making more mugshots because of school, but well, I do have one for splice competition, so here I go.

Brom_zpsb995b299.png

His name? It's Brom. I used the school hours, and was kinda hurried, so if there is something wrong, I'm sorry.

Okay, now enjoy and go away.

Edited by Leviathan64

Ahaha okay okay~

Anyway, gonna post an old mugshot that I edited last night. (Does that count as a new?)

Tristan_zpsd11d8b4d.png <-- Tristan.

As for Khris I modified his mug, so...

Tadaaaa he look weirder than beforeeee

Khris_zps5c3f0460.png?t=1416198366

Please take a look and give me your opinion!
Leave $5 dollar for tip.

I'm truly sorry for double post, but I really need to post this update.

Anyway....

Ren_zps2f7714e5.png I edited his headband.

And there goes edits.

Now the new mugshots...

Valera_zps550aa87e.pngElrick_zpsfba0c0e9.png?t=1416272495

Valera and Elrick.

You're allowed to double-post on your own topics to update those who want to see your stuff. Solid splices that aren't recognizable (as in you've spliced adequately). Your faces seem to match your bodies in terms of feel to me. Some cool finicky thing I noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, now I'm into battle spriting... I made a .gif about Magefighter's sword normal attack.

Magefighter%20animated_zpsyrmgrkmn.gif

Have any opinions? I still haven't made the critical and dodge animation, so....

You need more frames to make it appear less choppy. Compare the number of frames you have to, say Lyn's animation. You'll notice that before moving, even if characters are going fast enough to have blur frames, they'll bend a knee or something similar to generate that power. It's hard to generate a lot of movement from a standing still.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, deranger! I'll do that once my laptop gets fixed!

Yeah, because of my media is broken... Posts are clearly in hold for now...

I can post my splices for the competitions...

spliceprettyboy_zps7436e743.png Pretty boy?

spliceChristmas2_zps96d93463.png Santa Heath! ^w^

spliceSchemingAristocrat_zpsa47ab6ef.png ... Evil?

That pretty boy is so pretty! :wub:

Haha thanks! Maybe I should give a sign "Beware of the prettiness" XD

i really like the blonde guy, he's very clean. the aristocrat is quite well-done too.

Thanks~ :D

• 1 month later...

Hi, it's me Levi again~ My laptop has been already fixed, so I can go back into spriting yay!

So, to relive this post (what XD), I'll post this...

Normal%20Attack_zpslpaia60f.gif <-- Normal | Critical --> Critical%20Attack_zpsgfdtvwa0.gif

Magic%20Atk%20Attack_zpsiuc82rbo.gif <-- Magic Atk | Dodge --> Dodge_zpslycjovul.gif

The magic sword attack doesn't look promising to me, but... hmm...

Anyway, tell me what you guys think! :3

Edited by Leviathan64

Looks nice. But I think he should have a quick crouch frame or two in anticipation of the return.

With the magic sword, try to make the blur frame smoother, I think the angle looks a little sharp. Also making the cape move a bit more would look nice.

Echoing Smirks. Your blurs should be round, reference any of the existing frames. lines joint by angles don't exist in them.
Also, your guy needs to crouch more in general. He needs to get his power from somewhere. Reference the Blade Lord's sheet, particularly the second line, for starters: http://www.feplanet.net/sprites-archive-battle-sheets/l/369<- also a good reference for sword blur frames.

Over all, the parts that should be swooshy and bendy (cloak and hair) seem too stiff. Take the normal attack: at frame 5, the character just stops for a bit. Normally, you'd expect the cloak and hair to keep moving at this point. The same is true in frame 6-7 - the cloak looks like it's solid, since its position doesn't change between frames. I also think the character moves too far between frames 5-6 without a smear.

If you'll excuse my meddling, I've made a quick edit to show what I mean.

d6uKcdp.gif

Edit: Looking back, that's still nowhere near enough movement after the attack. Maybe more like this?

u6KkFIC.gif

Edited by vilkalizer

I still cannot understand how to make blur movements well, so I'll fix it later.

Back to the editor then~~

If you'll excuse my meddling, I've made a quick edit to show what I mean.

d6uKcdp.gif

Edit: Looking back, that's still nowhere near enough movement after the attack. Maybe more like this?

u6KkFIC.gif

Thanks for correcting it visually~! Butby the way, the second .gif looks weird for me, because the hair are supposed to swish on the cloak, not getting over it, and also the cloak... It doesn't move a lot, in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

... What?

Oh yeah. I was soooo busy with school and stuffs... so I can't completely focus on the Magefighter animation...

By the way, have a Jenna folks! :P

This is used for Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown III.

Jenna_zpsiqewjjhw.png --> Jenna%203x_zpsshylqooj.png

Lalala_zpsp4yi8lvu.jpg