For Glory observations

Florete

I've played well over 1,000 1-on-1 For Glory matches, and these are my observations of the players based on the character they play. Feel free to post your own, as well.

Mario players, as might be expected, are pretty average overall. They might be really good, really bad, or somewhere in the middle, but expect them to go for forward air dunking at every possible opportunity. If you have projectiles, also expect them to cape spam.

Luigi players, surprisingly, don't exist.

Peach players are rare, but expect them to pull turnips and float a lot. Most Peach players are average, but beware: every now and then you'll face a pro Peach player who is guaranteed to kick your ass.

Bowser players usually suck. They spam smash attacks on the ground and will use down b and down air when you launch them up. Some will learn from the punishes, some won't.

Yoshi players are to be feared. If you face one, prepare to fight your hardest or lose horribly. Expect aerial combos you didn't think possible followed by forward aerial dunking and get extremely frustrated by all of Yoshi's super armor. On the other hand, if you face the very rare bad Yoshi player, just look for the down b spam and punish.

Rosalina & Luma players are pretty rare. There's nothing special about these players, to be honest. Prepare to fight Rosalina & Luma.

Bowser Jr./Koopaling players are also pretty rare, and usually just below average ability. Expect lots of b and down b spamming, as well as forward smashing.

Wario players are pretty annoying, but not unbeatable. Expect Wario's bike to be on screen for the majority of the match, as well as many dash attacks.

Mr. Game & Watch players love playing against characters that can fill their bucket. Otherwise, they don't really know what to do except key spam.

Donkey Kong players don't do anything special. Despite having more dunking options than Mario, they don't go for it nearly as often.

Diddy Kong players throw bananas out like they're at a banana convention. They also spam side b.

Link players are campers, and there are a lot of Link players. They will wait for you to approach while shooting boomerangs and arrows all day. Some will even roll (always roll, never jump or run) to the other side when you approach them to keep spamming. God help you if you are a character without a reflector, but if you do have a reflector, you will probably win, because the player will be at a total loss for what to do.

Zelda players will probably use their specials more than their smash attacks. Din's Fire is the most common, but expect to see them all. They'll try to catch you off guard when recovering with their up b, thinking most players don't realize how powerful that is (for now, they're right).

Sheik players, especially Japanese ones, are a terror much like Yoshi players. Expect to miss a lot of attacks and get killed by two bouncing fishes after getting hit constantly by their projectile thing and up tilt combos.

Ganondorf players are surprisingly common and probably better than you'd think. Expect them to spam down b and side b, and if they hit with side b, expect them to use down tilt immediately after. If you knock them in the air, expect a down b before you can hit them with an aerial; just punish them, but don't stay too close, because Ganondorf has some crazy hitboxes. They are also the most likely to taunt at any given time during a match.

Toon Link players are the same as Link players, but more likely to be willing to fight up close and personal. Also expect them to down aerial whenever launched.

Samus players are somewhat common and projectile spammers, but unlike Link players, are usually really good. Be prepared to get hit by multiple charge shots and grabbed if you come too close.

Zero Suit Samus players don't seem to know how to play the character very well. They don't make a lot of use their specials, and they use down aerial a lot. Some will go for up b a lot and usually miss.

Pit players would usually rather play Dark Pit, but some vanilla Pit players do exist. They won't spam side b like Dark Pit players, but they will shoot lots of arrows and use forward smash all the time.

Palutena players just want to use her pole taunt. Most of them are pretty bad and will just spam reflect if you're a character with projectiles.

Marth players are somewhat common and a little above average in ability. The bad ones will just spam counter, but the good ones will space properly and hit you with lots of tippers and dancing blade.

Ike players are very rare. They like to use up b and side b a lot. Expect to win if you're a character with projectiles.

Robin players will start every match by charging Thunder, then proceed to use Arcfire while looking for a good time to launch whatever they charged up. They don't pick up their tomes, probably because they never notice when a spell runs out, making for some easy punishes. Female Robin players are more likely to be good.

Kirby players are terrible, but pretty common. They will spam up b and dash, and will use down b if you are below them. They don't learn from their mistakes.

Dedede players are surprisingly good and somewhat common. They're going to toss a lot of gordos at you and won't use smash attacks unless they're confident about hitting. They're not afraid to use up b because most players don't know how to punish it.

Meta Knight players are extremely rare, but expect them to spam side b.

Little Mac players are the most common, and most are pretty bad. Expect a lot of dash attacking and side b. Pretty much any character can reliably beat a Little Mac if you know how to gimp him.

Fox players will shoot that laser as much as possible and use all manner of smashes when you get close, rarely going for tilts or jabs. There aren't a lot of them, and not many of them are good, either.

Falco players are better than Fox players, but many still have some work to do. Expect a lot of side b and, if you have a projectile, down b.

Pikachu players are decent to good, and like to spam neutral b and down b, as well as dash attacks. Some might also try to surprise you with side b.

Charizard players are going to spam side b and down b all the time. If you're above them, they will use up smash. They're mostly predictable, but Charizard's raw strength can still be enough to pose a threat if the player has used the character enough.

Lucario players are extremely annoying, in part because of the player, but also a lot of it just being the character. They'll always try to be charging aura sphere, especially at high damage percents, and they'll use force palm a lot, as well. They will frustrate you with how low they can kill you. Get rid of them fast or lose.

Jigglypuff players will always be in the air. They also tend to be surprisingly good at landing rest.

Greninja players are going to shoot water shurikens a lot. Bad ones will try to catch you off guard with shadow sneak, but all of them will down aerial into a shadow sneak when above.

Duck Hunt players camp even more than Link players. Expect all manner of cans, frisbees, and gunmen as you try to approach, or just knock them out with your own projectiles.

R.O.B. players are surprisingly conservative with their projectiles and would rather use aerials and side b. Despite spamming side b, they probably don't even know it can reflect.

Ness players are usually pretty good. They like to PK Fire into throws a lot, and will PK Thunder whenever you get in the air. They will also often attempt a grounded PK Thunder blast to catch you off guard for a KO.

Captain Falcon players are the second-most common, and much better than Little Mac players, but still have a tendency to spam down b and side b like Gandondorf players. However, they go for the knee a lot, and are more likely to jump off the stage to keep you off.

Villager players are pretty annoying. They're going to spam rockets and slingshots all day. Some also love to dash attack and grow trees, but the trees usually never do them any good.

Olimar players are really rare, but expect them to throw Pikmin at you all day. They're not very good up close.

Wii Fit Trainer players are very rare and feel like they're only using the character as a joke, because they're not likely to be any good. They don't have any specific tendencies, but that's mostly because they don't know how to use the character in the first place.

Dr. Mario players hate FLUDD, so they spam down b all the time. They're not as good as Mario players, though, nor as common.

Dark Pit players are relatively common, and will spam arrows and electroshock all day. They'll use their shields all the time if you have projectiles, making for easy punishes.

Lucina players aren't as good as Marth players, but usually still pretty good. They'll probably use more smash attacks, but some will spam counter.

Shulk players can be identified by their use of the Monado modes. The ones who don't use them are bad and will probably just try to counter everything. The ones who do use them are pretty good, but not amazingly so. Knowing the Monado modes yourself will go a long way in winning the match.

Pac-Man players can be good or bad, but all will be spamming b, side b, dash attack, and down b when airborne. They'll always try to knock the fire hydrant toward you immediately.

Mega Man players are justified in being projectile spammers, since they know that's all Mega Man really has. They'll use side b the most, and are usually pretty good overall. Bad ones will spam dash attacks.

Sonic players are the most infuriating to fight. Every one of them will be spamming down b, followed by standard b, because they know how difficult to punish it is. Exceptionally good ones will follow the down b hit into an up aerial. Most won't do anything else until they think they can get a forward smash in.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played well over 1,000 1-on-1 For Glory matches, and these are my observations of the players based on the character they play. Feel free to post your own, as well.

Peach players are rare, but expect them to pull turnips and float a lot. Most Peach players are average, but beware: every now and then you'll face a pro Peach player who is guaranteed to kick your ass.

Zelda players will probably use their specials more than their smash attacks. Din's Fire is the most common, but expect to see them all. They'll try to catch you off guard when recovering with their up b, thinking most players don't realize how powerful that is (for now, they're right).

Zero Suit Samus players don't seem to know how to play the character very well. They don't make a lot of use their specials, and they use down aerial a lot. Some will go for up b a lot and usually miss.

Ness players are usually pretty good. They like to PK Fire into throws a lot, and will PK Thunder whenever you get in the air. They will also often attempt a grounded PK Thunder blast to catch you off guard for a KO.

As a person who uses these characters in For Glory, I can say it's pretty much true xD.

Whenever I start a For Glory match, I start by using Zelda, and use those tactics you just explained. But for me, I'd say I use Farore's Wind quite often, especially on the ground. And then for edge-guarding, I use the Phantom Slash against anyone who double jumps right in front of me. If I win the match, I move on to Peach (since I'm better with her), but if I lose, I just stick with Zelda.

Especially the Ness part (except for being good, I still have to practice with Ness a bit). And then I usually use a grounded PK Thunder if someone is running towards me. I almost always Grab-down whenever I use PK Fire successfully, and then follow-up with a forward-aerial > second jump > another forward-aerial.

Surprisingly though, I almost never use Zero Suit Samus in For Glory.

Zero Suit Samus players: Spam paralyzer, Dash attacks, Back airs, Grabs and Up Specials. Repeat.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Ness isn't too good, I would say robin is a bit better. The recovery for ness is a bit hard to master, and could easily be blocked by a projectile. And yoshi's actually good?The only thing I saw from yoshi is a bit of egg spams, egg rolls, and smash attack when I come close. Villagers tree is PRICELESS when an opponent is hanging on a ledge. And toon link is a smaller version of link, so it results in a smaller hitbox

Ness Players - PK fire, Grab Throw downward, Forward Aerial, Forward Aerial

Captain Falcon - Run Grab, A+A+A+A, throw upward, aerial up+A.

Jigglypuff - Aerial Forward A, jump, Aerial Foward A, jump, Aerial Forward A, ump, Aerial Forward A, ump, Aerial Forward A

Peach - Float to the ground as close as possible. Float, Float, Float, Lose float? Aerial Forward A. Still have float but enemy approaching? down aerial A or forward aerial A.

Ganondorf players are surprisingly common and probably better than you'd think. Expect them to spam down b and side b, and if they hit with side b, expect them to use down tilt immediately after. If you knock them in the air, expect a down b before you can hit them with an aerial; just punish them, but don't stay too close, because Ganondorf has some crazy hitboxes. They are also the most likely to taunt at any given time during a match.

Marth players are somewhat common and a little above average in ability. The bad ones will just spam counter, but the good ones will space properly and hit you with lots of tippers and dancing blade.

Kirby players are terrible, but pretty common. They will spam up b and dash, and will use down b if you are below them. They don't learn from their mistakes.

Greninja players are going to shoot water shurikens a lot. Bad ones will try to catch you off guard with shadow sneak, but all of them will down aerial into a shadow sneak when above.

Captain Falcon players are the second-most common, and much better than Little Mac players, but still have a tendency to spam down b and side b like Gandondorf players. However, they go for the knee a lot, and are more likely to jump off the stage to keep you off.

Dark Pit players are relatively common, and will spam arrows and electroshock all day. They'll use their shields all the time if you have projectiles, making for easy punishes.

Hey, I play these characters and I don't spam. I've also faced Kirby players who aren't terrible and learn from some of their mistakes (I myself am one of these players).

Mario players, as might be expected, are pretty average overall. They might be really good, really bad, or somewhere in the middle, but expect them to go for forward air dunking at every possible opportunity. If you have projectiles, also expect them to cape spam.

Most of the Mario players I've faced always go for the Down Throw to Up Tilt spam combo.

There was one Peach player who demolished me by using turnips the way you would usually see in Melee tournaments (picking it up the instant it was thrown in frame-perfect timing). I left the room right away.

Very rarely you'll meet those Falcon/Ganon mains who will always taunt at the start of the match as part of a universal code of chivalry among those players. Some of them aren't very great but most of them are really fun to play against.

As Diddy Kong, I always throw a banana off the ledge and kill myself trying to catch it.

Charizards spam Flare Blitz. I get hit every time because I expect people to know better.

Anybody with counter move is an asshole because I suck.

I don't play for glory that much because I can realistically imagine destroying my 3DS from all the sweat and smashing.

Edited by Spaceman Craig

Captain Falcon - Run Grab, A+A+A+A, throw upward, aerial up+A.

If they knew better and character weights, down throw, up+a, up+a, double jump, knee.

Very rarely you'll meet those Falcon/Ganon mains who will always taunt at the start of the match as part of a universal code of chivalry among those players. Some of them aren't very great but most of them are really fun to play against.

YESZ. Edited by shadowofchaos

I don't play For Glory but if there's anything that I can agree with, it's the Little Mac part and it shows in how that character has the lowest win ratio in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. Sakurai even confirmed this himself in a Famitsu column. http://nintendoeverything.com/little-mac-has-the-lowest-win-ratio-for-smash-bros-3ds-characters-online/

Little Mac players are the most common, and most are pretty bad. Expect a lot of dash attacking and side b. Pretty much any character can reliably beat a Little Mac if you know how to gimp him.

I also noticed you can simply throw them off the stage and spike them during the the side B start up in most cases. That is if they don't SD because Little Mac can't get that far vertically, and players don't get very far.

Zero Suit Samus players: Spam paralyzer, Dash attacks, Back airs, Grabs and Up Specials. Repeat.

That's me, except the back air part. Down throw -> up special has gotten me a lot of kills.

Don't forget neutral air.

I don't do that, either.

Most of the Mario players I've faced always go for the Down Throw to Up Tilt spam combo.

Yeah, that's true, I forgot about that.

And remember, this is what I've seen from most/all of the people using the characters in question. I play some of these characters myself (obviously) and largely don't use them the way I've described. Like with R.O.B., I'm shooting Robo beam and gyro top all day and pretty much only use side b to reflect.

Yeah, I should have also mentioned that Captain Falcon players are the most likely to taunt at the start of a match, usually with "Show me your moves" but occasionally with "Come on!" Never his other taunt.

Personally, if I see my opponent taunt at the start of a match, I'll always back off and do a quick taunt myself. Sets a good mood for the match.

A personal observation on the Marth/Lucina "skill" difference: I've seen a lot more Lucinas from people with bad internet connections, probably because since she's got decently large, even and fast hitboxes she's one of the characters least hurt by lag. That's definitely not the whole story, but I feel it's worth noting.

The Ness one describes me OK, but I usually don't use PK thunder except to recover or go for a kill after hitting myself, because I'm just not very oriented towards using long range specials. Also, I don't know why, but I went from being able to recover w/ pk thunder fairly well in melee and brawl to frequently screwing up my recover spectacularly in smash 4. I find that pk thunder'ing into enemies is more effective on 4 player for-glory, because sometimes my enemies will be caught up in fighting each other, and not be well prepared to deal with me (also it's wonderful to get 2 or 3 KOs with one strike).

I also play Mario a lot, and I don't dunk very much. I'm not a very good smash player, so I don't hit with his forward air very often.

With Pikachu, I don't use down b in this game. I'm not sure why, but I have much more trouble with it (despite it being a pretty simple move) than I did in brawl.

There are a lot of other dudes I use but I'm too lazy to pay attention to all of that text.

As a Captain Falcon user, I don't think I use Raptor Boost too often. I'm usually in the air most of the time, and when I am on the ground, I usually use the jab combo or dash attacks more than Raptor Boost.

Not to say I never use it, as I usually manage to connect with it when I do decide to actually use it.

Edited by Carmine Sword

As a Captain Falcon user, I don't think I use Raptor Boost too often. I'm usually in the air most of the time, and when I am on the ground, I usually use the jab combo or dash attacks more than Raptor Boost.

Not to say I never use it, as I usually manage to connect with it when I do decide to actually use it.

I find it useful as an unexpected KO tool at 130%. It is a good thing to throw out when your opponent spams rolls.

I find it useful as an unexpected KO tool at 130%. It is a good thing to throw out when your opponent spams rolls.

Raptor Boost is for reading rolls and like Captain Falchion said, the unexpected KO move.

I freaking nearly dropped my 3DS (on my bed) in awe when I first time I killed with it in the middle of the stage way back when.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I may just be the best Ike player on For Glory then :X I tend to use Marth but then when I get beat I end up killing them back with Ike.

Ness players seem to like PK Fire -> Grab -> falling fair. They're a pain in the ass.

Edited by Lord Raven

I actually agree with most of these descriptions and frequencies. Except I have seen 2 Luigis. Both were terrible and did almost nothing but dash attacks. Also, Captain Falcons are definitely really common and surprisingly good. Same with Dededes. I've yet to fight a Dedede who didn't crush me. It might be just because I can't figure out how to beat that darn Gordo toss consistently.

I may just be the best Ike player on For Glory then :X I tend to use Marth but then when I get beat I end up killing them back with Ike.

Fellow Ike player here. Ike's are pretty rare, and I've only faced one good one. But yeah, good Ike's definitely don't spam his specials, since they're all very exploitable. Good Ike's I've watched online typically rely on nair/fair/dtilt/dthrow->Aether. I use nair->dtilt a LOT.

Edited by Ragnell

have you tried anticipating it from a distance and like ftilting it? (assuming you use a sword user)

Yeah, in theory I know how to beat it by swatting it back with aerials, but my reaction timing is not quite good enough yet to reliably pull it off in practice. Especially against the myriad clever Dededes that throw one in when you're already fending off other attacks.

Edited by Ragnell

Captain Falcon, Fox, Little Ma- Scratch that, almost everyone I fight in For Glory- Dash attack Dash attack Dash attack. Dash Grab Dash Grab (Rare for LM players).

Samus Players - Charge blast-> Roll away from pursuer -> Charge Blast -> Roll away -> Missile -> Roll away -> Charge shot -> Rinse and repeat. Good Samus players do something similar, but can sometimes resort to some Close combat to maintain distance and dish out some damage.

Lucario - Aura Sphere -> Roll away/ behind person -> Aura Sphere charge/Force Palm (if close) -> Roll away and fire charged Aura Sphere -> Force Palm (if close)/ Aura Sphere -> Roll -> Rinse and Repeat

Edited by カプリ