Grinding in Gaiden.

Misses Elise-chan!

So there are no arenas and I don't know where I should be grinding to gain the greatest amount of XP. I'm at Geyses Fortress and my Pegasus Sisters have not been promoted yet along with the bearded armor knight. Leo, Saber and Kamui have been promoted.

Edited by Rabbattack

There's a secret Easy mode that you can access by(I think) pressing Select along with Start at the title screen. Th only thing it changes is that you get double XP.

Thank you, I already knew that, but easy is for chumps. All the enemies I defeat only give little XP. Edited by Rabbattack

Yeah, caves/shrines and graveyards are really your best bet for grinding.

Bear in mind, though, that due to Gaiden's low growth rates and mechanic for promotion bonuses, it's actually advised to promote earlier rather than later. You probably knew this already, though.

Also, I'm not sure who you mean by "bearded armor knight"? The only one who's coming to mind is Valbar/Valbo, but he's clean shaven.

Grinding is easier if you know how to get your hands on mummies - they basically give you a whole level at once. This is easy on Celica's route: Lost Woods just gives them to you in droves but you can also RNG-abuse for them in the Mountain Graveyard. If I recall correctly, you should savestate in the Mountain Village, exit, immediately get into a fight and look for mummies. If you don't get them, load the state, waste some RNs (this is the fuzzy bit, I think you can do it just by walking back and forth) and try again. Repeat until mummies.

Alm's route is harder. Eventually you get to the Secret Shrine, where you can find mummies, but before then, you're pretty stuck. My favourite option was actually the Thief Shrine, as thief EXP yields are no worse than any other classes you can grind on, they're very weak and they have a tiny chance of dropping a game-changing Angel Ring.

I should really start over on easy. Anyone have a Gaiden save on easy mode? My emulator won't let me hold down both start and select. Unless I've been doing it wrong.

VincentASM also made an easy mode patch which balances the game to be a little quicker/less grindy. It might be a good alternative to the in-game easy mode :)

Also, feel free to man the chokepoints while healing jenny during illusion spamming. When 40 turns are up, the battle ends, but all enemies who died will be gone. When you resume it will be much easier. Also I imagine that mists stealing XP wouldn't be a problem considering that you want to grind. :D:

Edited by momogeek2141

If you still wanted to start over on easy, this save should be set to easy mode. Just rename the file to exactly what your ROM file is named and drop it in your "sav" or "save" folder. At least that's for the emulator (FCEUX), I use. It'll overwrite if you already have a save there so take a backup just in case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dirifz6e3bv3glg/Fire%20Emblem%20Gaiden%20English.sav?dl=0

Geyse will probably still be annoying because he is annoying.

Here was that patch Celice was talking about, by the way:

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fire_Emblem_Gaiden:_Very_Easy

Edited by Tryhard

Also, feel free to man the chokepoints while healing jenny during illusion spamming. When 40 turns are up, the battle ends, but all enemies who died will be gone. When you resume it will be much easier. Also I imagine that mists stealing XP wouldn't be a problem considering that you want to grind. :D:

After 40 turns the battles ends? I guess I might try that.

If you still wanted to start over on easy, this save should be set to easy mode. Just rename the file to exactly what your ROM file is named and drop it in your "sav" or "save" folder. At least that's for the emulator (FCEUX), I use. It'll overwrite if you already have a save there so take a backup just in case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dirifz6e3bv3glg/Fire%20Emblem%20Gaiden%20English.sav?dl=0

Geyse will probably still be annoying because he is annoying.

Here was that patch Celice was talking about, by the way:

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fire_Emblem_Gaiden:_Very_Easy

Thank you for the save.