First Playthrough Suggestions

I'm on the 6th chapter, and I think I can safely say that this isn't a particularly easy FE game. I just want to make sure that everything I'm doing is acceptable.

Thany died.

Lugh died (but I'm hoping I will get a better mage/dark mage later).

Dorothy died (but my Wolt is already better than her anyway).

My Chad is pretty powerful (he is literally about to hit his speed cap already), so I stole Cath's lockpicks and killed her.

I've recruited everybody else so far, and no one else died.

Any suggestions for later in the game? I think my only real significant mistake here is overpowering Chad. I just wanted him to be a formidable opponent/lockpick thief combo. It may have been worth it, though, because he is about as strong and skilled as a good mercenary.

I don't really like giving advice on character useage on first playthroughs since i think its more fun trying out characters without having an opinion on them beforehand, but I will respond to a few of your queries.

Lugh's probably the best offensive magic user you would have had for a very long time, you get a druid later on in the game that's pretty good. Otherwise the options are pretty slim.

Dorothy is no big loss, you get lots of bow users in the midgame chapters

Chad doesn't promote, so once he hits level 20, that's as far as he's getting. So don't rely on him for combat too much!

How could you kill Thany.

She died to a 48% hit. I didn't actually think she would get hit, but I was a little devastated when she died.

Who are you using now? Alan/Lance/Dieck have been fun, I also like building up Fir and Lleu/Ray.

I'm using almost everybody. I dropped Allen off the team, and I'm thinking about dropping the fighters off (especially Wade, considering he barely ever hits).

Lugh's probably the best offensive magic user you would have had for a very long time, you get a druid later on in the game that's pretty good. Otherwise the options are pretty slim.

Are you sure? Lugh was pretty slow and statistically lacking when I got him. Then again, I like dark magic users more anyway, so...

Chad doesn't promote, so once he hits level 20, that's as far as he's getting. So don't rely on him for combat too much!

He's only level 10, and his speed is almost capped out (it's 18). I'm pretty sure he has potential to be a formidable combat unit, especially considering he has a whole 10 more levels to go. He even doubles some enemies with weapons as heavy as Iron Blades! I was pretty impressed when I saw 15*2 damage with a thief.

Also, 25 HP with someone as fragile as glass is funny to see.

By the way, I meant chapter 7 when I said I'm on chapter 6.

Edited by TheRealBlueBlur

Are you sure? Lugh was pretty slow and statistically lacking when I got him. Then again, I like dark magic users more anyway, so...

Stats when you get them =/= Stats after levelling

Also, not sure if you knew or not, but Dark Mage's can't use Anima (Fire, Thunder etc) in the GBA games. Idk, you might have played them, I'm just guessing by the Henry pic and your sig, as Dark Mages can in Awakening.

Another Anima mage you get in Chapter 8 is Lilina, who is alright. She's kinda just got REALLY good magic, but thats all, however, considering Lugh is dead, I'm pretty sure she is the only other alternative you have for Anima.

Edited by SpaghettiForDinner

I'm using almost everybody. I dropped Allen off the team, and I'm thinking about dropping the fighters off (especially Wade, considering he barely ever hits).

lol yeah the fighters suck ass. Lot has amazing defense but Ward is a shit shoot.

Just to clarify was Horace was trying to say - the magic options in this game are really slim. Lugh has the best averages and growths, Lilina has a ton of magic but very little speed/skill/defensive stats (so she won't evade much), and Hugh has very mediocre growths in just about everything, costs like 10K for his maximum bases and he comes late.

Druids - Lleu is okay, Sophia is a pain in the fucking ass (holy shit 15 base HP and Level 1 like 60% of the way through the game? The fuck?) and Niime has very solid bases but awful growths. But her bases are so solid that it's not an issue.

He's only level 10, and his speed is almost capped out (it's 18). I'm pretty sure he has potential to be a formidable combat unit, especially considering he has a whole 10 more levels to go. He even doubles some enemies with weapons as heavy as Iron Blades! I was pretty impressed when I saw 15*2 damage with a thief.

Only issue is that he tapers off very quickly due to his lack of promotion. If he ends up with like 12 Str by endgame then it'll stay 12 and he'll just fall behind.

Also, not sure if you knew or not, but Dark Mage's can't use Anima (Fire, Thunder etc) in the GBA games. Idk, you might have played them, I'm just guessing by the Henry pic and your sig, as Dark Mages can in Awakening.

Huh. Wow, I didn't know that. I hope dark magic will suffice, as I am NOT dealing with Lilina's growth rates.

Just to clarify was Horace was trying to say - the magic options in this game are really slim. Lugh has the best averages and growths, Lilina has a ton of magic but very little speed/skill/defensive stats (so she won't evade much), and Hugh has very mediocre growths in just about everything, costs like 10K for his maximum bases and he comes late.

Druids - Lleu is okay, Sophia is a pain in the fucking ass (holy shit 15 base HP and Level 1 like 60% of the way through the game? The fuck?) and Niime has very solid bases but awful growths. But her bases are so solid that it's not an issue.

I didn't know that there are so few magic users. I wish Niime didn't come so late, because she sounds like a very solid unit.

I try to keep my money high, so Hugh might actually be my main mage if I have the money at the time.

Idk, you might have played them, I'm just guessing by the Henry pic and your sig, as Dark Mages can in Awakening.

lol. I guess that's why I'm attached to dark mages so much more than normal mages...

Infamous Rutoga. :D

Rutoga/Rutger is pretty awesome. I kinda wish I hadn't used my Hero Crest on Deke, because Rutoga/Rutger is seriously lacking in power without his Killing Edge.

Myrmidons are always awesome, though.

Just so you know, Rutger can solo Zephiel if you trained him sufficiently.

Also, most of the dark mages are really slow. Sophia's a pain to train (I did it once, but wasn't satisfied), and is basically a second lilina. It kind of sucks that Lugh died, cause he's the best anima user. Lilina is just a second healer at best, her speed growths are way too low. (Skill isn't a problem b/c anima is really accurate anyways.)

Are you training healers? They're your only source of light magic.

IMO, the nomads in this game are better than the snipers. Sue has better bases and growths than Dorothy, and another nomad you get later on has better bases and growths than Sue. The real big disadvantage with training one is that you increase your chances of going to Sacae, which is generally considered harder than Ilia.

Other than that, good luck.

lol Your right. I had not realized how poor Snipers/Archers were in this game. Looking at FE10, one of the archers/snipers with the Double Bow is actually quite good. 1-3 range with good cap stats compared to the horsed units. In this game, Nomadic Troopers pretty much do everything Snipers do, but much better. Canto, high rescue, better movement or equal in 90% of terrain, Sword usage. I am not sure if nomads are immune to bonus damage to horse weapons or not. I think they were in FE6, but that was fixed in FE7? I am not sure. Been awhile.

• 3 months later...

Sophia's actually pretty good if you arena grind her, which is what you'll probably end up having to do if you decide to use her because feeding her kills is HARD.

Sophia is going to have an amazing time in those arenas with her bad accuracy and everything.

Savestate bruh. If she loses, load savestate, and wait another turn before trying again Best way to arena grind any unit really. It's easier than feeding her kills, at the very least.

Edited by Matthewtheman

Savestate bruh. If she loses, load savestate, and wait another turn before trying again Best way to arena grind any unit really. It's easier than feeding her kills, at the very least.

you can do the same with rey and have an easier time, bruh. why bother with sophia?

I hear nime is a decent dark mage. Although her stats don't look that good, the fact that she has an a in dark magic and staves looks good (i was only able to get any of my dark mages or sages up to D staves). Also, you don't need to grind her due to her high level. I have never actually tried to use her though.