Dungeons and Dragons Rules Cyclopedia/BECMI

Dark Sage

Recently I found the rules for Dungeons and Dragons Rules Cyclopedia. For those who don't know, Rules Cyclopedia is a collection of the Dungeons and Dragons Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, and Immortals sets (or BECMI for short), which existed before D&D. Rules Cyclopedia makes some minor changes and adds a few things like a small skill system but otherwise it's unchanged. I think its really cool personally; there's depth to the game but it doesn't get bogged down by complicated rules like AD&D and the later editions. The book also has better structure and writing than the AD&D books. It's surprisingly easy to homebrew (I think there's a pdf out there that explains the mechanics for creating new classes/races for example) and best of all it's easy to pick up and play. I think if I introduce someone to D&D, I'll start them off with the Rules Cyclopedia before showing them the later editions/Pathfinder.

What about you guys? Have you guys played this or read it? Do you know anyone who has? I'd be interested in playing with some of you guys if you are btw. What are your opinions on it?

I know some about it and played 1st editionish D&D. There are a lot of mechanics which are just weird(THACO and descending AC, saving throws, class balancing based on xp...) and too many unnecessary character creation restrictions (dwarves can only be fighters etc.) 1E D&D can be fun, but has lots of random restrictions you need to homebrew out and character customization is somewhat limited.

If you want to run a game in Pathfinder, just start them in Pathfinder- it's relatively simple at low levels especially for certain classes. Having them learn a more complicated ruleset will be easier in the longterm than having them learn one ruleset and switching to something else.