(outdated, delete please)

Dragoncat

You know, all of this is making me want post the rest of what I posted here too. But I never feel like it because I always have to go through my chapters over and over adding the italicizing tags and other necessary tags because I post them in multiple places, some of which don't use the same tags. xP

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice update, Dragoncat. I really enjoyed reading it. Nice to see Brom and Nephenee, hope I spelt that right. Some of the dialogue was awesome, too. You're writing excellently, keep it up. Also, when you update, if it's not too much trouble, could you pm me and let me know? Sometimes I forget to check.

Part of me is wondering if I could do my own story, but I don't want to overload the forum and, besides, not only do I have my own but you guys should get established first.

You should. I mean this is a forum; I don't see anything wrong with you also having your own story. In fact, it would help this forum gain more activity, more posts, etc. ;) I'd go for it!

Sure no problem!

Awesome, then. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I know! There's a character of the same name from Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. He's one of the descendants of the sages. But that's the only possibility I can think of. I don't know of any other sources for the name. :P

Nice chapter though. :)

I think I know! There's a character of the same name from Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. He's one of the descendants of the sages. But that's the only possibility I can think of. I don't know of any other sources for the name. :P

*gives cookie*

He's also a blacksmith iirc.

And yeah, I was pmed that draft. It was more detailed than what I wrote.

Edited by Dragoncat

*gives cookie*

He's also a blacksmith iirc.

Huh? I thought he was just a miner. I mean, he owns a mine (Rosso's Mine up on Death Mountain?) The blacksmith is Gulley's dad. And he has a blacksmith counterpart in Lorule.

But anyway, looking forward to more! Are you going to use Jerec again?

Derp, well, miner, blacksmith...similar and doesnt matter.

I'm planning on maybe having him show up again. As for the bolt axe, I wasn't thinking anyone specific. Maybe Kylor since his tomahawk got destroyed? Lol imagine the look on his face when/if he finds out the guy who destroyed his old weapon helped make his new one...

Yeah, true, it doesn't matter. lol

And cool. ^^ Yeah, it doesn't really need to be someone specific who bought the axe. I can see someone like Boyd jumping for joy at it though. lol

I understand why you didn't use the original draft. It was solo-focused for one among other reasons.

Kelly looked down at the table before her, readying herself for the next attempt to make the weapon. Beside her was a small book in which she had kept all her notes, each one carefully coded and inscribed, sometimes even in the pictures within, to ensure her work was never stolen.

Upon the table lay the ingredients she had, carefully, selected for her next experiment. An axe made of bronze, a chunk of copper, water, sulphur kept locked away in a small box, salt, three tomes of magic, and several others. Calmly she picked up the axe, her arms and legs bracing themselves as they did. She had picked this axe for several reasons, from its light weight, how easy it was to alter, and its wooden handle. If she succeeded she didn't want to end up shocking herself to death and she could move to fire and wind later. For now it was time to practice.

Lowering the head of the axe into the water along with the copper, she began with what she had learned through many trials and errors.

Where water and thunder flow together, so too shall the shining earth meet to dance.

Raising her thunder tome up and flipping through the pages, she calmly started to chant, forming two small sparks on either side. They weren't enough to cause harm to any person, but they were exactly what she needed. Lowering the sparks into the water she continued with her free hand, reaching for more.

Let the silver join in, a wild flow to their moves.

She opened a small vial and let what seemed to be liquified metal flow inside. Then she altered the flow of the sparks, moving them slightly in a small circle. Twin dancers, one man and one woman, lay along the border of her notes. First they danced to the left, then the right, before the woman swung the man, and the man swung the woman, with three candles above. Code which only she understood. She started to turn the sparks from left to right, then right to left, with each growing and shrining in power every third second, causing the liquid metal to form a spiral inwards.

The grails of clouds shall gaze upon in awe of their dance.

Grails, Greils, eight small pinches of spirit dust. Nowhere near enough to enhance the power of a mage, but enough to retain a spark fell in to the brew before she closed the tome. Calmly she raised her hands upright over the mix as she took a small candle in a bowl and placed it under, lighting it up for heat. She'd need both hands for this next part.

Let the three and five fall upon them.

Kelly pulled out the second tome which she had fashioned herself, taking pages from all five schools of magic, inlaying them with runes, dust, wards, and inscriptions. To any mage it was something utterly impractical and stupid to use as any element it could possibly produce would be too weak to notice in the physical realm, but this was not a test of power, but of careful detail. Even then, the sheer volume of work that she had had to use to make this tome functional and effort needed to control it was immense, but she had held some practice. Raising the tome up she began to chant, calling forth magic so faint that few mages that did not seek for it specifically would even notice. The drain was immense as, first, wind, fire, and thunder fell upon the axe stewing in the brew before light and dark magic joined them. Drawings of a shoreline upon the opposite edge of the page told her exactly how much was needed and when by following the inlets before leading up to the maw of a cat laguz. As the minute passed by Kelly's brow furrowed and her breathing and words became labored and heavy as more and more magic was siphoned off, trying to draw that which normally could not be touched upon except by the most skilled of mages with great training before, as the minuted ended and she slammed the tome shut, she fell forwards on the ground, gasping slightly for air.

It was fine though. The brew needed a moment to stir and, as she stood up again, she needed some time to get to the next step ready. Taking a few blades of olivi grass, a drop from a concoction mix, and the sulpher, bracing her nose as she slid on gloves and carefully lifted the items up and ground them together, she pulled the axe out of the mix.

It held a sickly look to it, almost as if it had been drained of all 'life' as an axe. This was fine though as, these first few steps, had existed only to open the metal up for reception to spells as, in this case, allow a conductive surface to be melded on to the blade. The brew behind her seemed to be a toxic red, but that was something she could deal with later. For now it was time to begin the hard part.

Taking the mixture she had just ground up she sprinkled it over the empty axe.

Let the beast, foul and wretched, bring the plants of life down upon the earth before the bird raises them up.

She then produced a small feather, taken from a raven laguz, and held it over the axe-head as she opened the third, and final, tome and began to call upon the faintest of wind magic. Once again, not enough to cause much effect, barely enough to be noticed, but just enough to raise the feather slightly up as she focused on trying to lace the feather with the brew, trying to keep her nose from smelling the putrid fumes.

Let the stars of the beast join them, then thunder strike them down!

She pulled out a scale of a wyvern and a feather from a pegasus, laying them down on top of the feather, letting the already-combined mix seep into all three. Then, closing the tome, she took a step back as she readied her thunder tome.

"THUNDER!" she called out as she finally cast a full-on spell, calling down a bolt of lighting which shot forwards to strike the feathers, scale, and axe-head. A blinding light filled her work-area as fumes, thunder, and the sound of metal being melted together and reformed filled the air! Then, as the light died down, upon the table seemed to be an axe with small bits of lightning dancing across the surface! For a moment Kelly seemed to hold her breath before taking a step forwards. Her hand came up to grip the shaft before she tried to lift it up.

And then the whole blade crumbled to dust, thunder, metal, and wood. For a second it held its form, but with the slightest bit of pressure, the pressure of Kelly's own hand, it fell apart entirely leaving her with naught but a pile of ash, a foul stench, and a toxic brew she would need to spend the rest of the night carefully disposing of.

"Why? What went wrong this time?" she said with a defeated tone as she opened a small pouch, sweeping the ashes in for further study. "I followed the steps for opening the axe to magic, I got the heat and timing just right, and the copper seemed to hold the charge better. I could see the sparks upon the axe... but how could it lose its form like that?"

As she took a step back from her work area she almost collapsed backwards onto the ground, bracing herself just enough before trying to take a step forwards, stumbling a bit, then collapsing to the ground passed out. The drain on her magic and body when casting the five elements at once, even with all the runes, wards, and everything and at such small amounts, had been too much for her to handle this time.

Sorry if the update lacks a proper ending, I couldn't think of one. But anyway. I liked Ana's idea of Boyd buying the bolt axe. And Gatrie hitting on Cerai...that was bound to happen lol. And her comeback! He better put some ice on that burn, right? xD

Oh, and don't worry. Geoffrey's not messing around with farm girls...

Edited by Dragoncat

Haha, you actually used that idea? Nice. XD

And good chapter, I was cracking up at Ike's snaps at Boyd and Gatrie. lol Overall it was a bit rushed at the end, but still entertaining to read. ^^

Wasn't Jerec in the battle though? It's like he just vanished without a trace after reporting that he saw Ike. I just found this bit confusing is all.

Wasn't Jerec in the battle though? It's like he just vanished without a trace after reporting that he saw Ike. I just found this bit confusing is all.

He probably went his own way or something. Idk...I couldnt find a way to put him back in, tbh. He'll be back.

And yeah, I liked those snaps. But I'd also like to see Geoffrey's face when that farmer lady tries to stir up that lie. Lol.

Edited by Dragoncat

Jerec would've certainly joined in though, I think. He knows Lucia and Elincia are very close and seeing as he has connections with Elincia through Ike, he'd help her out by helping Lucia. He also kinda owes Geoffrey and Lucia for some aid he got in the story where he first met all these peeps. But you couldn't have known that, so you can go ahead with what you have planned. :)

As for Geoffrey and that pregnant farm woman, I didn't think he was really the dad. XD Geoffrey isn't that kind of guy. He's all about chivalry and going and getting some woman pregnant out of wedlock isn't part of the program there. lol

My co-author and I DID almost have him decide to have sex with a woman he just met in a fic though. lol But Geoffrey was quite out of it and getting drunk at the time. He was doing all kinds of stuff that he wouldn't normally do because he was really depressed and getting mentally messed up. Depression and a thing called PTED (Post-Traumatic Embitterment Disorder) can make a person do things that they normally wouldn't EVER even consider doing. I did this to add depth to Geoffrey and make some awesome stuff come out of it in the end. Geoffrey becoming an even better man than he was before all of it happened, him finding the woman he's meant to be with (a girl named Erica who is a sort of parallel to Elincia), and eventually taking his new self and becoming a big hero.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah that lady just wants to cause drama/mooch off of him. Poor guy. Luckily everyone knows he wouldn't do such a thing. They'd tell her to shut her face and go away, like was in Cerai's thoughts there.

But OMG at that. Drunk Geoffrey would be crazy...

I figured. Not everybody is going to be a fan of Geoffrey, even in Crimea. And Elincia DID say at the end of part 2 in RD that the knights would be resented for their role in rounding up the rebels and stuff.

Come to think of it, she wouldn't allow Ike and his mercenaries to do the job when Ike offered to. Hmm... Care a lot for Ike and his squad much, Elincia? *wink wink*

Indeed. Elincia cares a LOT for the squad! Especially that cute little green-haired boy with the bow. He could shoot an arrow through her heart any day! /bad joke

I totally spaced on these stories. Assuming freedom before Friday (which is actually unlikely due to a certain someone INSISTING on multiple meetings in a row tomorrow night... God that's gonna take a while to sort out, and I STILL have that Fairy Fencer F review deadline!) I should be getting new chapters up in my stories.

I know this isn't the topic for them, but people are actually posting here, so... how are they doing?

Indeed. Elincia cares a LOT for the squad! Especially that cute little green-haired boy with the bow. He could shoot an arrow through her heart any day! /bad joke

Naroc: Hey, that's my uncle Rolf you're talking about! He ain't so little anymore. Dad still calls him a runt though...

Me: You're not even concieved yet in the story! Your parents JUST met each other! You shouldn't even be here making comments!

Naroc: ...crap, sorry.

Lol bad joke is indeed bad...but if it got the attention of one of my characters, meh.

In all honestly Rolf really gets the short end of the stick a LOT! No paired ending with Mist (what the heck devs?), being one of the worst, arguably the worst, character in PoR and still lacking in RD, being constantly treated like a newbie/student... Part of me suspects that the only reason he exists is for the devs to mock him.