I've played it, great plot, loads of dialogue and bunch of side quest. You probably heard the game from me. If you were a fan of Golden Sun you'll probably enjoy this, it's also somewhat tactical. It's not very Fire Emblem-y but it's an Atlus RPG it's going to be good. 9-10/10 game by many. Now go and play it. I warn you it's a bit slow at the start and is a bit text heavy.

The plot is incredibly interesting imo so 100%ing it is almost a must.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

I've played it, great plot, loads of dialogue and bunch of side quest. You probably heard the game from me. If you were a fan of Golden Sun you'll probably enjoy this, it's also somewhat tactical. It's not very Fire Emblem-y but it's an Atlus RPG it's going to be good. 9-10/10 game by many. Now go and play it. I warn you it's a bit slow at the start and is a bit text heavy.

The plot is incredibly interesting imo so 100%ing it is almost a most.

I hope it is there at Gamestop the next time I go. Or I could add it to my Amazon wishlist

I hope it is there at Gamestop the next time I go. Or I could add it to my Amazon wishlist

You could always emulate it :v, it's not really touchscreen heavy iirc.

You could always emulate it :v, it's not really touchscreen heavy iirc.

Yeah, but I only use my DS emulator for FE12 (fan translated) cause I do not know Japanese and it is my only way to play it (too lazy to get a Japanese 3DS for one game)

Ya, I've played and beaten it. (Lord) Raven (not Vanguard Raven, who posts in red text) and Nightmar®e have also beaten it.

I'm a pretty big fan. As far as I'm concerned, the final boss is more tower of kefkaesque than FE-like.

Well, the theme kinda reminded me of Id~(Purpose) and A Grasping Truth combined for... some reason

It's just cool sounding of a boss theme, okay?

Listen to its OST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9g2zYJtKD0

Clipsey gave me the game and it's quite frankly one of the best gifts I've ever received. I'm so thankful to have played it. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

The story is somewhat dramatic but it's not as dramatic as other games in the genre, and on top of that the dialogue is more to the point. Not nearly as many anime stereotypes as you see in a typical JRPG.

(If you can't tell, I loved the story and I am also a very big critic of JRPGs).

Listen to its OST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9g2zYJtKD0

Clipsey gave me the game and it's quite frankly one of the best gifts I've ever received. I'm so thankful to have played it. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

The story is somewhat dramatic but it's not as dramatic as other games in the genre, and on top of that the dialogue is more to the point. Not nearly as many anime stereotypes as you see in a typical JRPG.

(If you can't tell, I loved the story and I am also a very big critic of JRPGs).

I know this is off topic but another great modern JRPG is Bravely Default. The only flaw in BD is the second half of the game. It's just NO!

I'm glad Bravely Second will not have a fillertastic second half

Bravely Default's second half was pretty rough, you could cheese through it though so it was more like the last thirds, but BD is another very good RPG to come out.

It's pretty sweet, even though I have only been hoarding Norende people when I play it (I am on the second half)

Radiant Historia~!

Good luck finding the cart. . .if you do, don't be afraid to shell out everything short of your soul. It's worth it~!

I bought RH when it first came out, now I don't have the cart anymore. :(

I could've made tons of moolah off you guys!

Edited by Esme

radiant historia? we need more jrpgs with competent adult protagonists, yes

I know this is off topic but another great modern JRPG is Bravely Default. The only flaw in BD is the second half of the game. It's just NO!

I'm glad Bravely Second will not have a fillertastic second half

in the end, i didn't buy bravely default because of that

might consider second though

The plot is incredibly interesting imo so 100%ing it is almost a must.

Is it very similar to GS, aside from the obvious turn-based gameplay? I really love the GS games, so I may give this one a try (assume that I can find a copy or my computer's hardware is strong enough to emulate it...)

i didn't find rh and gs similar at all tbh

they're both good but i struggle to see common points between them (even the turn-basedness is different)

Edited by OldMan

i didn't find rh and gs similar at all tbh

they're both good but i struggle to see common points between them (even the turn-basedness is different)

I think he was asking what the similarities were - and in reality there aren't any.

The turn-based part is much different than most RPGs. Watch a video to get a feel for it, but there's a turn order (think like FFX, except you're not likely to have two adjacent turns and your current action doesn't determine when your next action is) between characters. You can re-arrange the order of characters, but the thing is that characters take double damage until their next turn. You can even change it with an enemy so you have multiple characters having like many turns in a row - the trade-off is that until their next turn, they take double damage from enemies.

A lot of combat is based upon moving enemies around in a 3x3 grid (you're not in a grid yourself, you're three characters that are outside of the grid looking in) and trying to do as much damage at once to multiple enemies. A lot of attacks hit only one part of the grid, some hit a region of the grid, some hit at like a + pattern on the grid. Some hit one row, some hit only the back row, some hit only one column, some hit only the middle column (columns/rows are backwards in this game - probably because from the perspective of the characters a row looks like a column and vice-versa). Hell some hit the whole grid! Some characters can lay traps on the grid, most characters can move enemies around on the grid. You can have multiple enemies on a single space on the grid but once any enemy turn starts then enemies can move again.

Think of it as kind of a puzzle/tactics-turn based RPG hybrid. Sorry if my descriptions suck, but here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Tl8tWjUjE

This is also one of the few RPGs where i saw an LP that didn't involve making fun of the characters.

A few questions:

What would you rate this on a scale 1-10?

Which is the better time-travel RPG, this or Chrono Trigger?

Which is the better turn-based RPG, this or Bravely Default?

Is there grinding? Heavy backtracking?

How many copies of Sonic '06 would you trade for this?

A few questions:

- This gets a solid 9/10 from me.

- THIS. Though the changes are on a smaller scale, the changes are much more personal.

- They can't be compared, IMO. Two completely different systems.

- I don't remember grinding too much, if at all, except for one optional battle (and maybe one stupid boss battle). Backtracking is, uh, yes and no. While you'll see the same areas again, I think it's very much worth it~!

- I'd trade ownership of Sega for this game.

Edited by eclipse

10/10

The time traveling is different in here. Chrono Trigger you travel between eras, whereas here you transfer between timeline splits. At the start of the game, you choose to either work as a spy for Specint for a man named Heiss or as a soldier for one of your best friends, Rosch. There are two timelines from there; alternate history and standard history. There are many points in the game where you have to choose between two options, and one option almost always leads to an alternate ending whereas the other leads to continuing the plot. You're actually required to go to both because at some point you hit a roadblock that requires something from the other timeline to break past.

I'll go into how this ties into backtracking in a bit.

Different strokes for different folks. If you prefer FF4-type character development, go for Radiant Historia. If you prefer FF5, then Bravely Default. There's not any customization in Historia, it's very linear in the character progression. The gameplay is not as simple as Bravely Default's, but it's not particularly complicated either. Definitely a unique JRPG in terms of gameplay (see the vid I posted).

Grinding - I haven't had to grind much, but it's fun finding ways to beat enemies in one turn without having to switch the turn order around.

There's backtracking, but there's not a world map. On top of that, if you go back to an earlier point in time (known as a node), then you can blitz through everything because your levels are that much higher and dialogue skipping. Often times you'll be required to hit nodes that almost immediately give you your choice, so backtracking is relatively minimal. But in the sense that you have to go all the way from Mossdeep to Littleroot without Fly (just an example because I don't think you ever have to do that in Pokemon), there's nowhere near that extent of backtracking.

Never played so probably a bunch. Edited by Lord Raven