ORAS Metagame

ZemZem

Now that OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire has been out and we got amazing new megas (that aren't Steelix/Pidgeot/Audino):

1. Gunk Shot was a godsend to Greninja. Even with an uninvested Attack stat with a reducing nature, with Gunk Shot, it still 1HKOs Mega Gardevoir and 2HKOs other OU fairies such as Azumarill and Togekiss. That's the power of Protean on a mon with very good stats. Geez.

2. Pangoro got a lot of nifty tools. Knock Off specifically. It's quite a force to be reckoned with in the lower tiers, and might even be viable in OU.

3. Adaptability Dragalge's Draco Meteors hit harder than Latios's with a Life Orb. Yeah, the thing's a nuke. It's also even more viable than it was in the higher tiers.

4. Mega Salamence was guaranteed to be quickbanned. Amazing ability, amazing movepool which means it can run various sets, amazing bulk (especially if base form is running Intimidate), and it's overall just crazy good. It was pretty much guaranteed to get the boot.

5. Who says Mega Slowbro didn't need Shell Armor? With that in conjunction with amazing defensive bulk, Calm Mind, and/or Amnesia, you have yourself a crazy good wall. After a few setups, it becomes incredibly tough to take down.

Commence discussion.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Mega Gallade has some nice tricks up its sleeves, i'm very hyped to try it out on looks alone and I hope it somewhat delivers in the meta (probably not I have bad luck on that)

I still need to get OR though.

as it stands the only thing that smogon has to say about dealing with megaquaza is "make sure your megaquaza wins before theirs does"

doesn't help that basically nothing can deal with both megaquaza and primal groudon (except for something gimmicky like mega aerodactyl which comes with the opportunity cost of "not using mega rayquaza")

as it stands the only thing that smogon has to say about dealing with megaquaza is "make sure your megaquaza wins before theirs does"

doesn't help that basically nothing can deal with both megaquaza and primal groudon (except for something gimmicky like mega aerodactyl which comes with the opportunity cost of "not using mega rayquaza")

I've heard that Megaquaza may even be banned from Ubers which would be an amusing first.

Mega Gallade is definitely one of the better megas. It got its stat bonuses in the right places, which gave it nice bulk, excellent Attack, and the ideal speed tier. Its Psychic/Fighting STABs along with other coverage moves, as well as Swords Dance, make it fairly dangerous to deal with, too. Once priority users like Talonflame are out of the way, Mega Gallade can go to town.

Mega Medicham is outclassed horribly by this thing.

EDIT: Cloud Nine scarfed Golduck is the perfect Primal Groudon counter!

Mega Rayquaza is ridiculous. Unlike Deoxys-A, Megaquaza is fairly bulky, can easily set up DDs, and it's...it's just a complete fucking monster. Doesn't even need a mega stone to mega evolve, so it can hold a Life Orb, Choice Band, you name it. It's definitely getting banned from Ubers. It's that good.

Primal Groudon is also insanely good, but I doubt it's getting banned. Heh, at least it makes Primal Kyogre look like a huge chump. I don't think anyone will use it much.

Edited by Z.M.

Smogon isn't banning anything in Ubers.

They were going to ban Shadow Tag and actually succeeded in getting a majority, but after the vote took place, it was decided that banning anything in Ubers goes against what Ubers is about and the ban was removed.

Smogon isn't banning anything in Ubers.

They were going to ban Shadow Tag and actually succeeded in getting a majority, but after the vote took place, it was decided that banning anything in Ubers goes against what Ubers is about and the ban was removed.

But when Megaquaza has so much more power.. Whats the point of the tier if people were to want to play in it?

But when Megaquaza has so much more power.. Whats the point of the tier if people were to want to play in it?

Yeah. I personally don't agree with the decision but there's nothing I can do about it.

As it stands, Ubers metagame is going to revolve around killing the other MegaQuaza before your MegaQuaza does down.

Yeah. I personally don't agree with the decision but there's nothing I can do about it.

As it stands, Ubers metagame is going to revolve around killing the other MegaQuaza before your MegaQuaza does down.

Oh joy lol, can I have Blaziken back in OU then :P

Mega Gallade is an absolute brute. Very straightforward Fighting type with no finesse, ironically enough.

Mega Sableye is two Pokemon in one. Spread burns early game and Calm Mind sweep late game.

Greninja made off like a bandit this gen. The only move you 100% expect it to have is Ice Beam.

Getting banned to Ubers is now a one way ticket to never seeing usage ever again thanks to Mega Rayquaza.

Mega Gallade is an absolute brute. Very straightforward Fighting type with no finesse, ironically enough.

Mega Sableye is two Pokemon in one. Spread burns early game and Calm Mind sweep late game.

Greninja made off like a bandit this gen. The only move you 100% expect it to have is Ice Beam.

Getting banned to Ubers is now a one way ticket to never seeing usage ever again thanks to Mega Rayquaza.

and now ubers battles will consist of 1v1 megaquaza, max speed

then it will be a game of chance and then megaquaza will get banned like swagger even though SEVERAL OTHER MOVES CAUSE CONFUSION and then the metagame will die

Mega Rayquaza banned from Ubers. Ubers is now a proper tier. There is now a new tier called Anything Goes (AG) where everything is allowed and there are no clauses except Endless battle clause. Meaning there is no Sleep Clause, no Same Pokemon Clause, etc.

GG Game Freak. GG.

Finally I get the chaos of old ubers back. Everything from swagger to moody to OHKO moves. It all goes. It's gonna be awesome.

Edit: This also means Primal Ogre is finally worth running over a choice set, because it's one of the few solid checks to primal donner.

Edited by Randa

So I made a Beedrill, now tell me how much it sucks so I can make it better

Beedrill @ Beedrillite

Jolly | Adaptability

252 Atk 252 Spd 6 HP

Poison Jab

X-Scissor

Drill Run

Knock Off

So what tiers are the new megas? I'll say my guesses but they're probably wrong

Pidgeot- RU, UU

Beedrill- UU, BL

Slowbro- OU

Steelix- NU

Sceptile- RU, UU

Swampert- UU, OU

Sableye- UU, OU

Sharpedo- RU

Camerupt- NU

Altaria- RU

Glalie- RU

Metagross- OU

GG Salamence ;( you were about to be my favourite mega

Lati@s- OU

Lopunny- OU

Gallade- BL

Audino- NU

Diancie- OU

Not sure what tier the beedrill set is for, but it is usually better to go u-turn over x-scissor and protect over poison jab. Poison stab doesn't really hit a lot that bug doesn't, except fairy, so it's not really needed.