...Well looks like I got SMASHED!

~Silver

So!

Smash Brothers for 3DS!

Watching Gameplay for the Wii U, it must be hella' lotta easier to use a controller, I'm guessing.

So I'm used to using customized fighters against other customized fighters. By customized, I mean both custom moves, and custom items, such as those involving Attack, Speed, Defence, the whole sha-bang.

I tried For Glory last night.

I played for 5 matches.

...I lost all five.

For the majority of them, I used my star Marth. While I'm used to using customized moves, again, the Marth I had made only varied when it came to his counter, which lasted a bit longer.

But I got friggin' crushed. I don't know how people do it, I went up against, what, three damns Yoshi's? Their air attacks are just... Too much.

But I realized, well, I've known, but it only began to frustrate me that Marth has so many laggy moves. His aerial attacks are hard to land, and if they miss, you WILL be punished.

The same can be said for his dash attack. Oh, GOD his dash attack.

I'm guessing that playing on the Wii U is much more flexible, or easier than the 3DS.

But does anyone have any tips for Marth? Any Combos, or anything?

• For one thing, Marth's dash attack is one you don't want to rely on, as it has very noticeable starting and ending lag
  • A safer approach is to do a short hop --> Aerial. F-air is very quick has as great an arc as F-tlit, but it does have more ending and landing lag this time around. U-air is just as good as F-air, and has an even wider arc, and because of said arc, is slightly slower to finish.
  • Back-air, while not as wide span as F-air, does more damage and knockback, out of all of his aerials. A thing to consider for KOs
  • N-air is actually Marth's most safest move due to the fact that it has two hits, the 2nd having a foreward and back hitbox along with being the one that has power. Additionally, it has barely any landing lag, so if you're going for any sort of aerial approach, this move works best. Good timing of the 2nd hit is very rewarding if you're approaching from above.
  • They say Marth's D-air is so much harder to get this time around, with its changed animation, but there's a way around it. Since the attack starts from behind him, the simple thing to do is go about it the same way: jump with your back facing your opponent. Although, the act of reverse jumping can take some getting used to, which can even be done as a short hop option
  • A trick I do (which imo takes practice that I've yet to master) is a dash--> Smash. For F-smash and U-smash, it takes some quick execution to pull off by Dashing --> Quickly tapping down on the circle pad to stop --> Smash. I saw it on a video once, yet I can't seem to pull it off while running. Basically what I mean by dash, is that initial first step he takes that makes it look like he's gliding across the floor and Smash attacking after it.
  • An important thing to know about Marth's U-Smash is that it has hitboxes by both of his feet, which some players seem to not be aware of. U-Smash can also be done immediately out of running, unlike his other smash attacks, so its a god move when you find that you're too close for a tipper.
  • Dancing blade, like his trophies say, is something you really want to time. I, personally, measure the distance between me and my opponent so that I can get the last hit of the combo on them. Especially time the last hit just as you're about to hit the surface from the air. One thing to note about the 3 directional finishers is that Forward has good range and knockback, Down does the most damage and whittles away at shields, Up..... I wan't to say has the most kill potential(?), but I'm not certain.
  • I duno if you kept up with all of Sakurai's POTDs, but in one of them, he stated that Shield Breaker was more powerful this time around. Like, an uncharged shield breaker can destroy a shield instantly sometimes. Keyword: sometimes (Yet somehow, that sometimes seems to happen more often when I play as Lucina, but that could just be mere coincidence)

Those are just ones off the top of my head. As one who still isn't entirely used to 3DS, FAR from pro, and isn't very competitive I hope that helps

Except you can't use custom moves in For Glory?...I'm confused... :/

Sorry, should've elaborated.

I'm more used to using Marth with a longer counter, is what I meant, as I can never seem to get the bloody thing to work at the right moment.

Those are just ones off the top of my head. As one who still isn't entirely used to 3DS, FAR from pro, and isn't very competitive I hope that helps

They most certainly will.

Without a doubt I'll use this as a guideline.

Though I've two questions.

1. Is it easier to use Marth, or characters in general, on the Wii U? If you know, that is.

2. So there's a chance that a Shield Breaker will do a number on a shield? I recall Sakurai saying so himself, but I've only had two instances that it's truly happend.

Edited by ~Silver

It really depends on the controller and what you're used to. I was super used to the 3DS when I started the Wii u version so I really sucked with other controller because I wasn't used to them. From a clean slate I guess controllers are better. For me I prefer a controller but there is some stuff I can do easier on the 3DS like short hopping. C-sticking is pretty nice though.

Edited by Cero

I had the 3DS version before the Wii U version and I have the pro controller and it feels alot better than the 3DS from a comfort standpoint and the adjustment from both versions was negligiable for me although having that second analog stick/ c-stick for smashes does work wonders.

Well, against a Yoshi, shield grabbing him out of his aerials is a good way to counter his aerial dominance. Also, countering in the air with Marth while Yoshi is in the air makes it rather hard to for Yoshi to punish, since grabs aren't an option and Egg Lay is rather hard to hit with in the air.

As for Marth, I've found it's really crucial to learn to tip with his moves (thankfully, SSB4 is much more lenient on the tipping range compared to Brawl and Melee). I've actually been able to score KOs on opponents who're at 40%-60% by tipping forward smashes after opponents do a ledge attack to get back on stage. His forward tit can KO at 100%-120% when tipped. If tipping is too hard for you at first, just try hitting your opponent with the outer half of Marth's sword rather than the half closer to the base. You'll be surprised how many attacks you'll unintentionally tip this way.

Even with aerials, tipping them can make your edgeguards that much stronger and powerful. Even if your opponent shields the aerial, tipping it will give you enough spacing for the opponent to have a hard time punishing you due to them being too far in most cases. And as Hero King said, neutral air is your best bet in terms of safe aerials since the landing lag is not as bad as his other aerials, it's two hits so it's harder to punish and counterattack, and it covers around him, making it his hardest aerial to dodge and punish.

Yeah, landing tippers is pretty much an essential if you want to use Marth effecectively. You can deal maximize the power of Marth's shield breaker by landing a tipper, supposedly. At least try to use the tip of Marth's sword, and if your opponent is too close, a grab or dolphin slash is good.