Does anyone have a theory on why Est left Abel?

From what I gathered I got the impression that she ran away in shame over both what she ended up costing him and the fact that she failed (or at least that is how she percieves it) to prevent Abel's situation from ending up what it did end up being.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

He betrayed his country and his lord for her. So two theories:

1. She blamed herself and left to prevent something like that from ever happening again.

2. As a knight herself, she was disgusted with his actions and left because of that.

If you read all of her supports and conversations in general, it's pretty clear Est has a really big inferiority complex because of her sisters.

However in particular these two...

[spoiler=Est - Chris - A]
Est:
...And then, Abel and I started living together after that. I was filled with joy, since I loved him dearly... Oftentimes I felt a little lonely, because I couldn't see my sisters... But Abel was always with me.

Chris:
How enviable. It sounds like you two lived happily together.

Est:
Yes... But... but... How should I say this...?

Chris:
Miss Est...?

Est:
...You see, I brought great suffering to Abel. He was forced to betray Altea, because I was taken hostage... He's too nice and doesn't think of himself... Because I was there, Abel had to go through such an ordeal... If not for me, Abel would be happier...

Chris:
Miss Est... I'm no good with words, but I tell you it wasn't your fault. You shouldn't keep blaming yourself...

Est:
... ...Thank you, Chris. You're very good at comforting. Tee hee... How embarrassing. I feel like a child again. When I was younger, my sisters would rush to comfort me when I cried. Chris, I feel somewhat relieved when I'm with you...

Chris:
If you believe I'm worthy, you can find me anytime. It would be my honor.

Est:
Yes, thank you, Chris...

[spoiler=Est - Abel - A]

Abel and Est 3

Est:
Sigh... What should... I do...?

Abel:
Est, my love! So you were here.

Est:
Abel, what is it? You look so flustered.

Abel:
I heard from Prince Marth. You've been terribly worried about something, haven't you? What is it, dear? If there's something the matter, tell me.

Est:
...Say, Abel. Why did you fall in love with me?

Abel:
T-that's uh... rather sudden.

Est:
Please, Abel. I must know.

Abel:
Good grief... It was so... natural, I never gave it a second thought.

Est:

Abel:
Ah, are you crying!? I'm sorry, I'll answer properly this time! Err...

Est:
Abel, thank you. It's okay.

Abel:
Eh?

Est:
That... was more than enough. I get it. Hey, scoot closer. Now... Just for now, hold me tightly in your arms.

Abel:
Est... We'll always be together... So, don't cry anymore. It hurts me... to see you cry. The thought of you all alone, with no one to turn to... I'm afraid to leave your side... Afraid to depart for battle.

Est:
...I'm sorry. Teehee, I'm so silly. I guess all this fighting's been taking its toll on me. Sorry, Abel. I'm okay now. But... Let us stay like this, just a little longer...

Abel:
Oh, Est...

These to me somewhat confirm that she doubts her own worthiness to even be Abel's wife. Almost all of her supports are about other characters helping her with her doubts (aside from Catria, who has even more baggage than Est does), and I believe she left because she didn't want to be a burden. Even the way Abel phrases it himself "The thought of you all alone with no-one to turn to...", that's basically the final nail in the coffin; she's looking at it as a confirmation that people care about her because she needs to be looked after, beacuse she's inferior. Or to put it more simply, Abel fell for her beacuse he wanted to protect her, and she constantly needed saving, not out of any of her positive traits.

In leaving I think she wants to get away from that and look after herself but it's still an incredibly insensitive thing to do, especially to Palla (although she bottles it up pretty well so...).

It's kind of sad how that honestly translates into how players treat and look at Est too, anyone who uses her does so because they like to baby her to make her strong. Even mechanically her inferiority is obvious!

Edited by Irysa

It doesn't sound like she discussed this with Abel/her sisters. If it was such an issue, keeping it in and leaving everyone hanging is far worse than trying to resolve it (and failing), and I don't feel bad for disliking Est because of this.

I'm almost certain that Est doesn't actually know about Palla's feelings towards Abel; if she did know, I wonder if the situation would've changed.

But yeah, it's a good example of how love makes us buttheads

Edited by Black Frost

BECAUSE SHE'S A GIANT JERKFACE!

But yeah, that's an interesting point on the inferiority complex. It makes sense of her actions, though as Eclipse said, really doesn't excuse them or do anything to change the fact that she's my least favorite FE character.

As for if Est knew about Palla's feelings for Abel, I don't think that would have helped much. Est seems a bit out of touch, so I imagine she would have felt like she was doing a favor for Palla by leaving meaning she and Abel could be together, even though that's pretty much the worst possible way to handle that situation.

If you read all of her supports and conversations in general, it's pretty clear Est has a really big inferiority complex because of her sisters.

However in particular these two...

[spoiler=Est - Chris - A]

Est:

...And then, Abel and I started living together after that. I was filled with joy, since I loved him dearly... Oftentimes I felt a little lonely, because I couldn't see my sisters... But Abel was always with me.

Chris:

How enviable. It sounds like you two lived happily together.

Est:

Yes... But... but... How should I say this...?

Chris:

Miss Est...?

Est:

...You see, I brought great suffering to Abel. He was forced to betray Altea, because I was taken hostage... He's too nice and doesn't think of himself... Because I was there, Abel had to go through such an ordeal... If not for me, Abel would be happier...

Chris:

Miss Est... I'm no good with words, but I tell you it wasn't your fault. You shouldn't keep blaming yourself...

Est:

... ...Thank you, Chris. You're very good at comforting. Tee hee... How embarrassing. I feel like a child again. When I was younger, my sisters would rush to comfort me when I cried. Chris, I feel somewhat relieved when I'm with you...

Chris:

If you believe I'm worthy, you can find me anytime. It would be my honor.

Est:

Yes, thank you, Chris...

[spoiler=Est - Abel - A]

Abel and Est 3

Est:

Sigh... What should... I do...?

Abel:

Est, my love! So you were here.

Est:

Abel, what is it? You look so flustered.

Abel:

I heard from Prince Marth. You've been terribly worried about something, haven't you? What is it, dear? If there's something the matter, tell me.

Est:

...Say, Abel. Why did you fall in love with me?

Abel:

T-that's uh... rather sudden.

Est:

Please, Abel. I must know.

Abel:

Good grief... It was so... natural, I never gave it a second thought.

Est:

Abel:

Ah, are you crying!? I'm sorry, I'll answer properly this time! Err...

Est:

Abel, thank you. It's okay.

Abel:

Eh?

Est:

That... was more than enough. I get it. Hey, scoot closer. Now... Just for now, hold me tightly in your arms.

Abel:

Est... We'll always be together... So, don't cry anymore. It hurts me... to see you cry. The thought of you all alone, with no one to turn to... I'm afraid to leave your side... Afraid to depart for battle.

Est:

...I'm sorry. Teehee, I'm so silly. I guess all this fighting's been taking its toll on me. Sorry, Abel. I'm okay now. But... Let us stay like this, just a little longer...

Abel:

Oh, Est...

These to me somewhat confirm that she doubts her own worthiness to even be Abel's wife. Almost all of her supports are about other characters helping her with her doubts (aside from Catria, who has even more baggage than Est does), and I believe she left because she didn't want to be a burden. Even the way Abel phrases it himself "The thought of you all alone with no-one to turn to...", that's basically the final nail in the coffin; she's looking at it as a confirmation that people care about her because she needs to be looked after, beacuse she's inferior. Or to put it more simply, Abel fell for her beacuse he wanted to protect her, and she constantly needed saving, not out of any of her positive traits.

In leaving I think she wants to get away from that and look after herself but it's still an incredibly insensitive thing to do, especially to Palla (although she bottles it up pretty well so...).

It's kind of sad how that honestly translates into how players treat and look at Est too, anyone who uses her does so because they like to baby her to make her strong. Even mechanically her inferiority is obvious!

Wow. I thought the writing of FE12 was a little weak but when viewed for this angle it's like super deep.

As for if Est knew about Palla's feelings for Abel, I don't think that would have helped much. Est seems a bit out of touch, so I imagine she would have felt like she was doing a favor for Palla by leaving meaning she and Abel could be together, even though that's pretty much the worst possible way to handle that situation.

Yeah, that's what I think, too. "I'm useless, so if I just disappear, everyone will be better off and maybe Palla and Abel can have the happiness they deserve."

And of course it makes absolutely no one happy.