FE Map Creator (also generates random maps)

BwdYeti

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really cool utility, actually!

I just downloaded it, and immediately got to work on a map idea I had based on the premise of having a Sniper boss who was actually a threat. Making maps in this is so much easier and more convenient than painstakingly copy-pasting one tile at a time into place in Paint, which is something I can't believe I had the patience for when I was much younger.

>pasting tile-by-tile in paint

is this 2007 or some shit

mappy has existed for at least 5 years by now

(yes yes this tool is cool etc)

To be fair, I did that only once or twice like five years ago when I was fifteen or something. I don't think I was aware of tools like those existing at that time, because I was young and frankly kinda stupid.

...One of them wasn't a small map, either. It was big. Bad, but big.

Hmm... I fixed what caused that error, but while it looks like the previous fix is making it so that you don't crash, it's still not loading the tileset xml file it's supposed to. If so you'll be able to generate maps but not restrict tiles to specific terrain types.

After you load a tileset see what happens when you check 'Show terrain types?' on the tileset window.

ac06e78b62ec9fc36ec8613d2d65758a.png

Should look something like this

It loads right now.

But nothing happens when I checks the box for Show terrain types.

It loads right now.

But nothing happens when I checks the box for Show terrain types.

it's still not loading the tileset xml file it's supposed to. If so you'll be able to generate maps but not restrict tiles to specific terrain types.

(ie this won't work)

Yeah idk why this is happening for you >:

The only thing I can think of is maybe some text file issue caused by system region settings, if you're in Europe or something.

Made a small bugfix update; before if you tried to load an existing map and then repair it, it would erase the whole map and make a new one :x

EDIT Jan 13: Made another fix, shrinking the map and then hitting undo would crash.

Edited by BwdYeti

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I do .NET developing too, so it really warms my heart to see it used so well. Terrific program, 10/10.

Believe it or not I don't do FE stuff. I've been scouring the internet looking for programs and tilesets to generate RPG overworlds cleanly for d20 campaigns. After determining that the FE tilesets were the perfect thing for me to use, I eventually found my way here and to your program. I really don't say this about many programs I come across, but it's absolutely the bomb.

Unfortunately, the generator doesn't seem to be working properly. I can place down locked tiles, but it won't generate around them. I believe a previous poster has had a similar problem. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

WAqc5Xu.png

e1LA3so.png

I'll keep working on the issue to see if I can pinpoint the problem. Thanks again for the program!

Edited by Sacrieur

That looks like Sea tiles you placed down. Are those tiles in the tileset sea tiles, or river tiles? If the set doesn't have sea tiles, it won't generate properly.

That was just an example, I thoroughly tested all of them.

Here's the same thing the OP did. I used the FE6 - Fields tileset.

s8oQWVY.png

Try redownloading it then. I have windows 7 and no issues. Also make sure .net is up to date too.

I have .NET 4.5 installed. Because I got it from AMD drivers, I even re-installed it to make sure. As I suspected, there wasn't anything wrong with .NET. I'd probably notice if there was.

I've tried both the rar and zip downloads. Both produce the same effect. I've collaborated with a friend of mine and rigorously tested it under the exact same conditions, achieving different results: his works and mine does not.

I have .NET 4.5 installed. Because I got it from AMD drivers, I even re-installed it to make sure. As I suspected, there wasn't anything wrong with .NET. I'd probably notice if there was.

I've tried both the rar and zip downloads. Both produce the same effect. I've collaborated with a friend of mine and rigorously tested it under the exact same conditions, achieving different results: his works and mine does not.

Stupid question, but have you tried running an anti-virus? I have no idea what's causing your woes but maybe a virus is fucking your system up just a little? Again, idk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...