FE Map Creator (also generates random maps)

BwdYeti

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This app is great, but I too am having some issues. So far, it looks like some tilesets work perfectly fine, while others don't work at all.

I copied Figure C with the FE7 Fields tileset, and after holding Ctrl+R, I got this

iH3d7.png

Nice. But then I try it with the FE7 Village Tileset (yes, I know that obviously the Forts and such won't work, but this?)

iH3hw.png

iH3hM.png

Yeah, not even close. None of the sea, mountains, or peaks even began to develop, and I'm pretty sure that the tileset does indeed have those tiles.

Is this something I'm doing wrong? I have very little mapping experience so I wouldn't doubt that I'm overlooking something.

EDIT: Actually, I think I finally made the connection. I was looking at some of the official maps to see if there were any I could edit to make the mountainous village I've been imagining, and noticed that most of the FE7 Village tileset maps contain very small amounts of peak tiles. Given that this program references the official maps to deduce proper placement, would that explain why it can't make proper peaks in this tileset, despite the fact that the peak tiles exist?

By that logic then, if I wanted to make a boat map, then the program wouldn't auto generate the boat properly unless I use the specific tileset that the game used for that chapter - even though there are several tilesets that have the proper boat tiles?

Is that the right line of reasoning?

Edited by Completely InShane

You can splice them together. They won't be usable in a romhack (They can be but that's a huge mountain you probably don't have the time or interest in crossing) but adding them to FEXNA when it's out wouldn't be too hard. You also won't be able to generate anything usable with the spliced tileset until you make a bunch of maps using the pieces in one form or another, but yeah splicing together the tileset would otherwise be fine.

To load it in tiled you need to open the .tmx file in a text editor and edit the path that finds the tileset. If you don't know where that is just open another tiled file and copy the path from there. So yeah, definitely a tiled thing no map creator.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Trying to figure out how to use the Terrain feature.

Step 1: Tileset FE7 - Plains. Generate a map.

46c48c7491be4a885d25139b9f2c4efc.png
Step 2: Add terrain tiles. I want mountains. Pe stands for peaks.
4b83e18f8319a0341c6eb751709b47fa.png

Repair. Notice distinct lack of peaks.

bd4fa461c3550ead024e171ebd90a798.png
Help? I tried putting red tiles under the terrain'd section and that didn't change anything. I redownloaded the generator, just in case.
Edited by Tequila

• 3 weeks later...

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FEMapCreator\Tileset Generation Data\FE7 - Ship - 5b005c5d.dat' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode)
at FE_Map_Creator.FE_Map_Creator_Form.load_tileset_image()
at FE_Map_Creator.FE_Map_Creator_Form.load_text_map(String filename, Boolean just_return_data)
at FE_Map_Creator.FE_Map_Creator_Form.loadMapToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.1073.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FE_Map_Creator
Assembly Version: 1.0.3.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FEMapCreator/FE_Map_Creator.exe
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.6.1068.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
FEXNA_Library
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/FEMapCreator/FEXNA_Library.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

So I tried using the program, and have no idea what this means, but it wont load up any tiles or any of the maps. Anyone know what I did wrong or what I need to do?

Install under a user folder

OR

run the application as adminstrator (most windows OS: shift + right-click + "Run as Administrator")

This is because windows tries its damnedest to make sure you don't corrupt program-critical files without adminstrator acess

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think this editor could use a select and drag tool of some kind

right mouse button, click & drag

Then left click where you want to move those tiles

If you also want to grab the tiles that you just placed tiles over, you can hit Ctrl+Z, then click & drag with right mouse button once again, and then ctrl+Z again to redo the placement (FE Map Creator stores the current map and the revision before it-- undoing causes you to undo the undo). Then, with the new batch of tiles selected, you can place them where you want them (& potentially continue doing this process over and over if what you want to do is reshuffle the map that you do have).

edit: demoing this

Edited by Bedimal Eliwan

• 5 months later...

Excuse me guys, im done editing to my map, HOW can i insert this to my hack game? like this(my map) will be the prologue replacing the prologue of FE7?

14 hours ago, KeanuB said:

Excuse me guys, im done editing to my map, HOW can i insert this to my hack game? like this(my map) will be the prologue replacing the prologue of FE7?

We've got tutorials for this kind of stuff.

Primefusion, thanks for help, I manage to use MAR. array inserter, thanks to Ghast Station too(youtube tutorial),

But there are still several problems; I make my own map, size 15x15, 1c1d1e1f is the code of tiles or whatever we can call. it is supposed to be the tutorial/prologue of my FE which will replace the prologue of Lyn.>I follow also the Hex editor changes and nightmare module needed to be change for map insertion. The problem is:

>It say The Size is wrong(but I edit my X and Y coordinate in Mar inserter matching the size of my own map) when im trying to run it. I wonder what is wrong, I followed the guide well(including Ghast station youtube tutorial, though difference is, Ghast change only the area/scenario/theme, building like: If the bandit is in that building, that building is still there, or he just add some buildings/tiles location to the area where there are no unit.)

> btw, how to change the locations of the units(bandits, lyn etc). 

this are the problem so i cannot start....

e.jpg

Edited by KeanuB

For the size, try subtracting one from each dimension. Coordinates start counting at 0, not 1.

Changing the locations of units requires changing the events, not the map.

Edited by Primefusion

THANK THANK Primefusion! I manage to change my map, this is what my map is. though i still need to change it(unit location etc.). Thank also to Markyjoe tutorial video at youtube

13.jpg

Whenever I load a tileset and map and click the drop-down menu for Map Generation, the Generate Map option is always grayed out. Ctrl+N doesn't do anything either. Any idea why this happens? If it helps, the Repair Map option is grayed out too. Sorry if this is an obvious thing.