Optimal Asset/Flaw for War Monk Avatar

Demigami

So I'm going to be starting a Lunatic Run soon with a Male Mu and I wanted my final class to be a War Monk. I'm trying to find a asset/flaw that works for the War Monk Avatar. So far the skills I'm hoping to put on him so far are as listed:

Counter

Ignis

LimitBreaker

AxeFaire

SwordBreaker/Renewal

So which skillset and asset/flaw set works the best for a War Monk?

This depends on how hard you want the early part of Lunatic to be.

- Something like +Spd/-Def looks like it would be helpful, given that you want to run Counter. However, this will make the early parts of Lunatic painful.

- Something a little less painful would be +Str/-Lck. Instead, you'll have to worry about existent crit chances.

- The "safest" combination that comes to mind is +Spd/-Res. The early game impact won't be as ridiculous as -Def, and you'll still end up with pretty good Speed.

I have no idea what appeals to you, so have at it~!

- Something like +Spd/-Def looks like it would be helpful, given that you want to run Counter. However, this will make the early parts of Lunatic painful.

- Something a little less painful would be +Str/-Lck. Instead, you'll have to worry about existent crit chances.

- The "safest" combination that comes to mind is +Spd/-Res. The early game impact won't be as ridiculous as -Def, and you'll still end up with pretty good Speed.

That sounds good. Also I wanted to have the the asset and flaw benefit female Morgan as much as possible. So far I was going to choose either Aversa or a 2nd gen character as Morgan's mother.

A lot of this will depend on whether or not you're grinding (I'm guessing you are, if you're considering Aversa and 2nd gen for mothers). If you're grinding, the worst of your troubles lie in early game. If not, I'd advise against third gen Morgan due to limited maps to (a) build support with her Mother and (b) train Morgan, unless you save some low-level paralogues for training her.

+Speed is always a good choice. If you're considering Aversa, +Mag would also be a good consideration, but won't be amazing early game (despite the small bonus to speed growth rates). An advantage of +Spd for what I call "mixed" characters (War Monk, Falcon Knight, Grandmaster, basically any class that makes use of Magic and Strength) is a lack of emphasis on one attacking stat over another. +Spd is a great asset for early game as well, considering how important it is to double enemies early on (as well as avoid getting doubled). +Speed is also a great asset for pretty much any third gen Morgan, especially if you're unsure of her mother before starting the file.

As for flaws, Def, Lck, and Res come to mind, for the reasons eclipse stated. It mostly revolves around whether or not you're willing to put up with a certain flaw through early game, which is likely where you'll face the most problems on your first run.

Since I'm seeing a diverse array of skills listed (including some Lv. 15 promoted skills), what is your intended classpath, and how much will you be grinding to get those skills while still in game? Planning out intended class changes and promotions becomes more important in Lunatic/+ due to experience gains being smaller, especially with the Lv. 50 internal level cap. This may also influence your asset/flaw decision.

A lot of this will depend on whether or not you're grinding (I'm guessing you are, if you're considering Aversa and 2nd gen for mothers). If you're grinding, the worst of your troubles lie in early game. If not, I'd advise against third gen Morgan due to limited maps to (a) build support with her Mother and (b) train Morgan, unless you save some low-level paralogues for training her.

+Speed is always a good choice. If you're considering Aversa, +Mag would also be a good consideration, but won't be amazing early game (despite the small bonus to speed growth rates). An advantage of +Spd for what I call "mixed" characters (War Monk, Falcon Knight, Grandmaster, basically any class that makes use of Magic and Strength) is a lack of emphasis on one attacking stat over another. +Spd is a great asset for early game as well, considering how important it is to double enemies early on (as well as avoid getting doubled). +Speed is also a great asset for pretty much any third gen Morgan, especially if you're unsure of her mother before starting the file.

As for flaws, Def, Lck, and Res come to mind, for the reasons eclipse stated. It mostly revolves around whether or not you're willing to put up with a certain flaw through early game, which is likely where you'll face the most problems on your first run.

Since I'm seeing a diverse array of skills listed (including some Lv. 15 promoted skills), what is your intended classpath, and how much will you be grinding to get those skills while still in game? Planning out intended class changes and promotions becomes more important in Lunatic/+ due to experience gains being smaller, especially with the Lv. 50 internal level cap. This may also influence your asset/flaw decision.

I have access to most of the Dlc that gives you skills as well as money,exp, and item grinding ones, so grinding won't be too much a problem for me. As for my class path, so far it looks like I'll promote myself into a Grandmaster for Ignis and then go as listed: Berserker->Warrior->War Monk(I was going to go into Wyvern Lord after berserker but it feels like too much trouble to be a flying unit weak to bows AND magic.)

+Str/-Lck was my first idea as well until I started thinking about female morgan and how it would impact her stat caps.I'm still uncertain who her mother would be but I've narrowed it down to either a 2nd gen child or Aversa for Shadowgift. Edited by eclipse
Merged double post

I have access to most of the Dlc that gives you skills as well as money,exp, and item grinding ones, so grinding won't be too much a problem for me. As for my class path, so far it looks like I'll promote myself into a Grandmaster for Ignis and then go as listed: Berserker->Warrior->War Monk(I was going to go into Wyvern Lord after berserker but it feels like too much trouble to be a flying unit weak to bows AND magic.)

In that case, +Spd is definitely a strong option. If you're concerned about Morgan's caps enough to suffer through earlygame asset/flaw, -Def is considered very optimal, but it'll make early game even more difficult, and strong early levels will matter much more. Vengeance may be worth considering to take advantage of -Def as well, if there's room in your classpath/skillset for that (as a bonus, its activation rolls after Ignis).

As for Morgan, I'd say +Spd for almost any 2nd gen mother, and +Mag for Aversa as the mother. Perhaps another asset depending on which 2nd gen you choose, but +Spd gives you a fair amount of flexibility to start the file before narrowing it down, or changing your mind somewhere down the line.

Agreed with Wyvern Lord, btw. Unless you're willing to grind through 15 levels of it with DLC before moving forward, the weaknesses can be a liability.

Do note your Mag may need some catching up after spending so much time in Str-heavy classes, if you're interested in healing support or using bolt axes.

With all that said, go wild! The Lunatic Club is also a good place for discussing Lunatic mode in general (especially the nightmare that is early game), and the pairing thread is a good source of pairing information for in-game and post-game options (especially with its Q&A format, though going back too far will yield information now-considered outdated).

With LB, everything will be getting doubled, ORKOed and either missing or barely scratching you no matter what you choose, so it doesn't matter. If you're looking for anything more than a lawnmower simulator, I'd strongly advise leaving it off. If you do leave it off, you'll want to make sure to pick an asset/flaw that leaves you with at least +2 Lck so you can reach 100% AT with an pairup and no tonic (+Spd/Def -Mag is a possibility if you're fine with a physical Morgan).

I'd recommend running AT/Lucky 7/Renewal/Deliverer/*Breaker (swap out the breaker based on enemy team composition, this should be Aegis on a Wyvern, which is actually a very good Lunatic non-DLC postgame class).

In terms of wives, Cordelia has the best balance of Lunatic ingame utility and non-Apo postgame utility, and I'd recommend her. Aversa is nice but her recruitment time stinks.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

You can always go vanilla and use +HP/-Lck. +Mag/-Lck can also work as it gives you some extra points of damage on the Bolt Axe and lets Morgan be better at Magic.

Aversa as Morgan's mother -- consider this question: would you waste a skillslot and some defense just to use dark magic outside of the Dark Mage/Sorcerer class?

You can always go vanilla and use +HP/-Lck. +Mag/-Lck can also work as it gives you some extra points of damage on the Bolt Axe and lets Morgan be better at Magic.

Aversa as Morgan's mother -- consider this question: would you waste a skillslot and some defense just to use dark magic outside of the Dark Mage/Sorcerer class?

Well somewhere along the way I wanted Morgan to be a Grandmaster with access to dark magic since I always have a surplus of dark tomes.Plus very few female units have access to the Sol/Nosferatu Combo.

Well somewhere along the way I wanted Morgan to be a Grandmaster with access to dark magic since I always have a surplus of dark tomes.Plus very few female units have access to the Sol/Nosferatu Combo.

Cordelia, Severa, female Morgan, female children of the Avatar, Gregor!Noire, Donnel!Noire, Vaike!Noire, etc.

Choosing my character's name is usually the hardest part when playing RPGs but this game was different because now the asset/flaw combo is the hardest part. Well, how about +Mag/-Def if you're running counter then lower defense will give you a better bang out of your buck. If you have Limit Breaker then you will curb stomp everything in your path so focusing on your skill set won't be a problem then. The +Magic is for healing your buddies. Your strength should be decent enough for using those axes and if not then you could always use a bolt axe since it scales with magic.

Wait, I haven't considered that the first chapters of Lunatic will be painful with -Defense. Well, damn. But if you play the DLC chapters then chapters 1-4 will be your only problems because you will be able to max out your guy easily.

Edited by Rxmonste

After looking over the stat caps for varying asset/flaws, I feel like +Spd/-Def is the best choice for the set that I'm running. I might have my unit pick up Armsthrift since I'll have 56 Lck anyway(And so I'll be more easier for people to recruit me in Streetpass). As for Morgan's mother, depending on modifiers, I may chose a 2nd gen child over Aversa.