Guide to patching ROM Hacks on Android

Kiseki

Title says all. If you're using an iPhone, please leave because this guide is specifically built for Android users and I have no idea on how iPhones work.

What you'll need for this is:

-A clean ROM of what you want to patch (Can't provide this for you, gotta find it on your own)

-The patch file that will be in use

-Google Play Store

I'll get into what apps are needed from the Play Store later as the guide progresses.

Step 1:

First, you'll need to get everything needed for the patching process. You'll need a fresh ROM of what you want to patch, which you'll have to somehow get on your own (You can move it from an SD Card, but I think you can just download it off the internet in the same manner as a PC). Then you'll need to download the patch for the hack that you want to play from your internet browser.

UKyNPoU.jpgWNtCrI4.jpg

[because I have no idea on how to screen capture with my phone, have some poverty camera.]

For this tutorial, I will be using the ROM titled "Fire Emblem - Blazing Sword (Copy).gba", which is a fresh FE7 ROM. I will be using the patch for Elibian Nights, which can be found in Arch's thread of the same name.

NOTE: This tutorial isn't specific to FE ROM hacks. You can do this with other hacks for different ROMs, provided that you have the right patch for the right ROM.

FT1XCC6.jpg

Then, if you already don't have it, open up the Play Store and download "ROM Patcher". This app can be used for both IPS and UPS patch files. Other similar apps can be used, but ROM Patcher does its job the fastest from my experiences.

Step 2:

If the patch happens to be in a zipped file (rar, zip, 7z, etc.), then you'll need to extract its contents (Skip to Step 3 if the patch isn't zipped). Go to the Play Store and download "RAR for Android". Some similar apps can be used for this, but I recommend "RAR for Android" because of its convenience.

hLjFzTf.jpg

Once opened, the app will show the screen below.

S3O8xUS.jpg

Go to "Downloads" (unless you somehow moved the zipped file elsewhere, then whichever folder it was moved to) and then tap and hold down on the zipped file until a drop-down menu shows up. Tap "Extract here" and the contents should pop up right below the zipped file.

wYiA0Sg.jpgsSdnIOh.jpgcaq4rzM.jpg

Step 3:

IMPORTANT: For some reason, an error will pop up if the ROM happens to be on an SD Card. You'll have to make sure the ROM is in a folder that isn't on the SD Card. I recommend copying/moving the ROM from the SD Card to "Downloads" because the downloaded patch should already be there.

kYzJjYR.jpgIz9to2L.jpgtutN5H7.jpg

Once you have both the ROM and the patch, open up "ROM Patcher". You should see the interface below:

ZSojvin.jpg

Tap "Choose ROM", go to "Downloads", and select the ROM you want to patch. Then tap "Choose patch" and select the IPS/UPS patch file you want to use (You'll have to scroll down to the "Downloads" folder again).

T0qLppw.jpgsbCVN98.jpgWVsnC7l.jpgeJ1nhyj.jpg

OPTIONAL: You can also choose to back up the ROM and rename the patched output (though the rename option can't be selected if the backup option isn't selected first). Backing up the ROM will create a copy of the unpatched ROM before the patching process starts, leaving the unpatched ROM and the patched ROM behind.

dsSribV.jpg

Once you've done that, then select "Patch". The process should only take about a few seconds.

xg39clx.jpg

Step 4: (Optional)

For convenience, you should move the patched ROM to the same folder in which you keep your other ROMs. You can do this by opening "My Files", selecting the "Downloads" folder, and holding down on the patched ROM until a drop-down menu appears so that you can "Move" it to the folder in which your ROMs are kept. You can also delete/uninstall the files/apps used to create the patched ROM if you have no plans to use them again in the future.

3XCUotC.jpg1BjIx8y.jpgraJqzsY.jpg

If you didn't choose to rename the patched ROM/backup the original ROM back in Step 3, then you can rename the patched ROM here.

Once that's done, open the patched ROM with your emulator of choice and enjoy!

Bt6GgTi.jpg

Title says all. If you're using an iPhone, please leave because this guide is specifically built for Android users and I have no idea on how iPhones work.

What you'll need for this is:

-A clean ROM of what you want to patch (Can't provide this for you, gotta find it on your own)

-The patch file that will be in use

-Google Play Store

I'll get into what apps are needed from the Play Store later as the guide progresses.

Step 1:

First, you'll need to get everything needed for the patching process. You'll need a fresh ROM of what you want to patch, which you'll have to somehow get on your own (You can move it from an SD Card, but I think you can just download it off the internet in the same manner as a PC). Then you'll need to download the patch for the hack that you want to play from your internet browser.

UKyNPoU.jpgWNtCrI4.jpg

[because I have no idea on how to screen capture with my phone, have some poverty camera.]

For this tutorial, I will be using the ROM titled "Fire Emblem - Blazing Sword (Copy).gba", which is a fresh FE7 ROM. I will be using the patch for Elibian Nights, which can be found in Arch's thread of the same name.

NOTE: This tutorial isn't specific to FE ROM hacks. You can do this with other hacks for different ROMs, provided that you have the right patch for the right ROM.

FT1XCC6.jpg

Then, if you already don't have it, open up the Play Store and download "ROM Patcher". This app can be used for both IPS and UPS patch files. Other similar apps can be used, but ROM Patcher does its job the fastest from my experiences.

Step 2:

If the patch happens to be in a zipped file (rar, zip, 7z, etc.), then you'll need to extract its contents (Skip to Step 3 if the patch isn't zipped). Go to the Play Store and download "RAR for Android". Some similar apps can be used for this, but I recommend "RAR for Android" because of its convenience.

hLjFzTf.jpg

Once opened, the app will show the screen below.

S3O8xUS.jpg

Go to "Downloads" (unless you somehow moved the zipped file elsewhere, then whichever folder it was moved to) and then tap and hold down on the zipped file until a drop-down menu shows up. Tap "Extract here" and the contents should pop up right below the zipped file.

wYiA0Sg.jpgsSdnIOh.jpgcaq4rzM.jpg

Step 3:

IMPORTANT: For some reason, an error will pop up if the ROM happens to be on an SD Card. You'll have to make sure the ROM is in a folder that isn't on the SD Card. I recommend copying/moving the ROM from the SD Card to "Downloads" because the downloaded patch should already be there.

kYzJjYR.jpgIz9to2L.jpgtutN5H7.jpg

Once you have both the ROM and the patch, open up "ROM Patcher". You should see the interface below:

ZSojvin.jpg

Tap "Choose ROM", go to "Downloads", and select the ROM you want to patch. Then tap "Choose patch" and select the IPS/UPS patch file you want to use (You'll have to scroll down to the "Downloads" folder again).

T0qLppw.jpgsbCVN98.jpgWVsnC7l.jpgeJ1nhyj.jpg

OPTIONAL: You can also choose to back up the ROM and rename the patched output (though the rename option can't be selected if the backup option isn't selected first). Backing up the ROM will create a copy of the unpatched ROM before the patching process starts, leaving the unpatched ROM and the patched ROM behind.

dsSribV.jpg

Once you've done that, then select "Patch". The process should only take about a few seconds.

xg39clx.jpg

Step 4: (Optional)

For convenience, you should move the patched ROM to the same folder in which you keep your other ROMs. You can do this by opening "My Files", selecting the "Downloads" folder, and holding down on the patched ROM until a drop-down menu appears so that you can "Move" it to the folder in which your ROMs are kept. You can also delete/uninstall the files/apps used to create the patched ROM if you have no plans to use them again in the future.

3XCUotC.jpg1BjIx8y.jpgraJqzsY.jpg

If you didn't choose to rename the patched ROM/backup the original ROM back in Step 3, then you can rename the patched ROM here.

Once that's done, open the patched ROM with your emulator of choice and enjoy!

Bt6GgTi.jpg

Thanks!

So I can have EN both on my phone and computer!

Ooooooooooooooor, you could just patch the ROM on your computer and transfer the files via... any sort of file transfer.

That works too, except this was more geared towards those who don't have access to a PC.

This is extremely helpful.I couldn't find a guide online,and I've wanted to play the Elibian Nights for a while now.

I also got EN thanks to this.

Be warned though, it is very hard, but not quite Thracia hard

I don't care as long as it isn't Thracia hard.Challenge is fun.

Yeah, it's a notch or two below Thracia hard, because in Eliwood's chapter, there is are infinitely spawning Swordreaver Berserkers, and you have no magic users and the only units with lances are mediocre Paladins

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...