Clip Studio Paint vs. Paint Tool Sai; Tablets to Use

Roflolxp54

Is there any difference between the 2 paint programs that are noteworthy? I'm thinking about going into digital drawing myself after seeing lots of cool fanart but unsure where to start even as I do some research. Currently, at the moment, I'm leaning towards Paint Tool Sai since it seems to not lag my computer unlike Clip Studio Paint, which is known to lag if other software programs are open and may have been responsible for crashing Google Chrome multiple times when I tried it. (I'm using the trial versions of the 2 paint programs).

Or should I go "**** this" and stick with GIMP?

I'd also like some advice on drawing tablets. Cintiq and other drawing tablets with graphics monitors seem cool but pricing is a major turnoff for me, so I'm most likely would be using regular drawing tablets. Any sort to recommend? I've heard quite a bit about the Wacom Intuos kind. Pricing, compatibility with the paint apps and functionality are my main concerns with tablets.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Definitely can recommend Wacom products, the basic Intuos tablets are awesome and well-priced. I use an Intuos Pro and it's super amazing, but I know the other Intuos tablets are good too. If it's still out of your price range, you might have some luck with Monoprice tablets. I used one before they rebranded the Intuos line because they used to be really expensive, and it was a quality tablet, the only problem I had with it was that the drivers were a bit funny.

As for drawing software, I'd definitely recommend Paint Tool Sai. I haven't used Clip Studio Paint so I can't really 100% say that it is better or worse, but I really like Sai. I also use Photoshop alongside Sai--I like to do lines in Sai, then colors/adjustments in Photoshop. Sai is definitely robust enough to finish an image though, and I know how expensive PS is.

I use an older model of the Intuos and you can get those for a lot cheaper than the newer models. I use an Intuos 3 both personally and at work (4x6 ~$100 off Amazon for myself, 9x12 at work) and I'm very satisfied with its performance. I'm a full-PS user myself so I can't vouch for either of the programs you're using, but I have both seen amazing results from SAI and a lot of my fellow artist friends really like it, so it's probably a good program to go with especially if it is less taxing on your computer. Have not even heard of the other one.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I don't know anything about Clip Note Studio. I use a combination of Photoshop 7/CS2 (I kinda open up whatever since I have both) and Paint Tool SAI and sometimes Sketchbook Pro. It's really personal preference there as they have different specialties, strengths, and weaknesses.

As for a tablet, Wacom's products are much more durable and sturdy-feeling even at the Bamboo level, but you really want to look at the Intuos line for a really quality piece of tech. Going with Wacom means going for a workhorse that should serve you well over many, many years to justify the price tag. If you are extremely casual, look at the Monoprice or Huein line of tablets. You might even be able to get a tablet PC screen for cheap. The have fine digitizers if you hunt for the right model (you need to be picky and look for reviews). However they will always feel cheap in the hand, wear down faster and require batteries in the tablet pen. It isn't a dealbreaker for home use unless you seriously draw all the time.

If you're looking at Wacom, getting used older models is a decent middle ground. They typically hold up well and you can shave maybe 30-50% of the price off the unit. You might have to buy replacement pen nibs though, but those aren't too expensive.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

EDIT: http://www.clipstudio.net/en

Clip Studio Paint is one paint program I've seen quite a bit on pixiv. It's advertised specifically for those drawing manga or otherwise anime-style artwork.

Edited by Roflolxp54