Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Review

Zera

Greetings, folks. Today I'm here to review Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. This is a 2D style platformer developed by Retro Studios (best known for the Metroid Prime Trilogy), and published by Nintendo. This game is basically a sequel for Donkey Kong Country Returns (also developed by Retro), and the gameplay is nearly identical, so if you liked that game, you'll definitely like this one.

Story: The story is summed up in the following scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOjlhR0YhR0 The new bad guys are called the Snowmads, a pun on the words "snow" and "nomads". Except they aren't really nomads anymore since they've settled on Donkey Kong Island. Now they're settlers, and therefore they should be called "snettlers". Oh, and they're all gonna die since they took Donkey Kong's banana hoard as well. R.I.P. Snowmads.

Presentation: This game looks fantastic. The visual style is very similar to the one in Returns, but with a dramatic increase in detail. In fact, I'd wager this is the best looking 2D game I've ever played. Seriously, go play the level Frosty Fruits and tell me you don't want to eat those giant popsicles. The music is also excellent. There are a few remixes of songs from the original DKC trilogy, but I wouldn't know since I haven't played them. They also brought back the original composer David Wise. One of my favorite songs is the one that plays in Forest of Folly and Icicle Arsenal.

Gameplay: Although a 2D platformer, this game is much more challenging than your average Mario game, and it's easily as hard as Returns. Thankfully, every level has a couple checkpoints and if you're as skilled as me you'll rack up 99 lives before long. The mechanics are exactly the same as in Returns with a couple of new additions. In addition to using Diddy Kong's jetpack to hover like before, you can also get help from Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong, who have their own abilities. There are also underwater sections, and they pretty much play as you'd expect. There are also new power-ups you can buy with banana coins, but Squawks and the Extra Heart outclass the rest since they don't disappear when you die. Other than that, the main reason to play this game is for the challenge and the unique levels.

Although there are only six worlds, the amount of variety in the levels is staggering. Case in point, this video:

BUT, don't watch it if you don't want spoilers. I personally would recommend you experience them for yourself.

Length and Value: Unfortunately, this game is shorter than Returns. Whereas Returns had 72 levels (80 in the 3DS version), this game has 63. That being said, the levels have a very good length, and you're gonna die a lot, so it'll still take a while to beat them all. There are also KONG letters and puzzle pieces to collect, as well as time trials and the unlockable Hard Mode, where you can't use power-ups and you only get one hit point. On the bright side, since Returns is longer, this game doesn't render it obsolete.

Flaws: My first issue with this game is just a nitpick. Once you have 99 lives, red balloons and bananas become worthless, as you can no longer gain lives. This could have easily been fixed by converting extra lives into banana coins. What's important is that bananas have value to the player at all times. Mario games also have this issue, but they don't have an equivalent to banana coins.

In every world, by collecting all the KONG letters in every level you can unlock a super challenging temple level. These levels can be incredibly tough, and they're as long as regular levels. Despite this, these levels have no checkpoints. Why have checkpoints in your game and not use them in the levels that need them most? This checkpoint starvation is an attempt to make these levels feel more "hardcore", but all it really does is force me to replay the first half of the level over and over again when I keep getting killed in the second half. The fact that Retro Studios of all people would accept such a massive design blunder is baffling.

Finally, there are a few levels / sections of levels that build in front of you and/or crumble behind you. These are an interesting change of pace since you have to keep moving without making mistakes or die instantly, but I feel like they're used a bit too often. I would like to play at my own pace more often, and there were several times I died simply because I couldn't react to sudden obstacles fast enough.

Protip: Don't design your game for ninja reflexes, because no one has them.

Conclusion: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a very challenging and varied platformer with an excellent presentation. I would recommend this game to Wii U owners, and especially to platformer fans, and double-especially to those who liked Donkey Kong Country Returns.

9 out of 10 (Awesome!)

UPDATE: I've discovered that Hard Mode doesn't have checkpoints. Even Returns had checkpoints in Mirror Mode. As an avid proponent of checkpoints, this disgusts me. I was really looking forward to Hard Mode, but now I don't even want to play it. I'm lowering my score to an 8/10. Sorry Retro, but you've been drinking too much banana juice.

8 out of 10 (Great!)

Edited by Zera

If I miss a KONG letter or puzzle piece, I'll always kill myself to try again. It's not the optimal solution, but it always works when you have 99 lives to burn, and you never have to restart beyond a checkpoint. As such, the "one chance or you miss it" moments didn't bother me nearly as much as the total lack of checkpoints in the secret levels and Hard Mode. Thankfully, puzzle pieces stay collected even if you die immediately after grabbing them. There are a couple very tricky ones in Blurry Flurry and Levitation Station.

Edited by Zera

So out of curiousity, which levels were your favourite Zera? Scorch n' Torch, Sawmill Thrill, and Irate Eight definitely come to mind, for me. All three of those levels have really awesome music, the former has a really unique level design and mechanics, and the last two are just really suspenseful, chaotic, and fun.

And on a kind of weird note, does anyone find the dancing trees in Grassland Groove (3-1)... particularly disturbing?

And on a kind of weird note, does anyone find the dancing trees in Grassland Groove (3-1)... particularly disturbing?

I thought they were quite charming, jiggling like jello.

I'm gonna name my favorite levels, and the reasons why.

Lost Mangroove

Zipline Shrine: Catchy music.

Busted Bayou: Solid shading (literally).

Autumn Heights

Horn Top Bop: Being sent inside a giant wind instrument.

Sawmill Thrill: It couldn't have a more fitting name.

Bopopolis: Took me forever to beat, but I got 500 extra banana coins.

Bright Savanah

Grassland Groove: This level is so happy, even the trees dance!

Frantic Fields: The tornado from Windy Valley in Sonic Adventure has finally been outclassed.

Scorch n' Torch: A very intense atmosphere and unique mechanics.

Bramble Scramble: Builds itself as you go along, but doesn't crumble 3 seconds later so you can still play at your own pace.

Sea Breeze Cove

Hide Tide Ride: That music. Also, rail switching.

Rockin' Relics: Those statues can lift!

Shoal Atoll: Searching for keys and chests feels like getting lost in a Zelda water dungeon.

Juicy Jungle

Harvest Hazards: Caught me off guard when a claw broke off and killed me.

Reckless Ride: Lots of unique obstacles.

Fruity Factory: Very creative second half.

Jelly Jamboree: Bouncing causes items embedded in adjacent jelly blocks to dislodge into the air.

Frosty Fruits: Giant popsicles.

Donkey Kong Island

Blurry Flurry: Giant snowball, and a not-so-subtle nod to DKCR.

Forest Folly: I was instantly killed by a giant snowflake. That's one heck of a snowflake.

Frozen Frenzy: All kinds of sneaky traps for unwary players.

Dynamite Dash: Every platform is a detonation switch.

Slippy Spikes: Gives you a Buddy Barrel at the start, making it easier than the other temples.

Edited by Zera

I've played and beaten both Returns and Tropical Freeze, yet...I just don't feel like either managed to live up to the original trilogy. Maybe it's mostly nostalgia, but I can still play the original trilogy today and love them, while I had a lot of frustration with both of the new ones; and not in a sense of difficulty. Returns had shoe-horned in motion controls, though I otherwise don't remember it well. TF had water levels with extremely awkward controls and didn't address my main concern with Returns: a lack of any non-Rambi animal buddies. I also had a good amount of control issues and I recall there being a few too many times where the player basically requires memorization or lightning reflexes. And the rocket barrel levels still suck. In fact, I recall some of them having obstacles that were very difficult to tell where the hitbox was or would be.

I also much prefer the original trilogy's DK coins to the new game's puzzle pieces and feel like the bonus levels were a lot lazier since there were only about 7 constantly re-used instead of each one being unique and themed for the level they're in. I dunno, maybe I just sound like a genwunner, but I feel like the originals had so much more to love about them.

As much as I want to love the games - since the original trilogy is, like, my greatest childhood memory - I probably won't even bother if another comes out.

It does have some good music, though.

Are the originals really that good? I guess I'll have to play them and find out for myself. But I believe they were taken off the virtual console, so that won't be happening soon. It's almost as if Nintendo doesn't want people to know how good they are, lest they be disappointed by the newer games.

I recall there being a few too many times where the player basically requires memorization or lightning reflexes.

I do agree that there are some obstacles are nearly impossible to avoid the first time. If you want a game that's just as challenging but a tad fairer, I'd recommend Sin and Punishment: Star Successor or Bangai-O Spirits. If you want an infinitely easier and charming game, try Klonoa; that one is a hidden gem.

And the rocket barrel levels still suck. In fact, I recall some of them having obstacles that were very difficult to tell where the hitbox was or would be.

I didn't have any problems with the hitboxes. I think the real issue is that a lot of the obstacles themselves move very unpredictably, even when they're right in front of your face. It wouldn't be a problem if it weren't so difficult to control the height of the rocket barrel.

Design Tip: Design your levels with the current controls in mind. Also, make sure at least one tester can beat the level on their first try. If not, you may have a problem.

Are the originals really that good?

DKC2 remains a masterpiece to this day.

EDIT: I played DKC:R and thought it was pretty good but not particularly noteworthy, is this still worth looking into on that note?

Edited by Integrity

EDIT: I played DKC:R and thought it was pretty good but not particularly noteworthy, is this still worth looking into on that note?

Your enjoyment of Tropical Freeze will hinge heavily on whether you liked Returns style of gameplay.

Edited by Zera

Are the originals really that good? I guess I'll have to play them and find out for myself. But I believe they were taken off the virtual console, so that won't be happening soon. It's almost as if Nintendo doesn't want people to know how good they are, lest they be disappointed by the newer games.

It's more of a problem with Rare games being released in NA. (I'm not sure of the details, I want to say it's a licensing issue?) Both Europe and Japan have the entire DKC trilogy on the WiiU Virtual Console. I also know that the Donkey Kong Land games are available on Japan's 3DS Virtual Console as well.

Your enjoyment of Tropical Freeze will hinge heavily on whether you liked Returns style of gameplay.

Not really for me. Returns didn't do much for me and I thought it was pretty bland and boring. Tropical Freeze was 5 times more enjoyable and fun.

So am I one of the few people that actually liked the surprise parts that are practically guaranteed to get you killed/hurt the first time? Examples in spoilers:

-the random flying bull in the tornado level

-the sawblade chase with wood flying in front of you and rail platforms flying up

-the polar bear trolling you with a fakeout ice shot then shooting it slowly

-the fruit platforms that keep appearing in front of you then one will randomly appear behind you while you fall to your death jumping forward

-the penguin on the giant mech randomly bursting in knocking pillars down giving you only one second to react and dodge them

-the pufferfish tricking you into thinking he's blowing out water, but he instead sucks in more water so you hit him due to thing to fight against the current you think he's exhaling out

I'll admit, those parts are quite unfair and sadistic, but I find them funny and enjoyable in a strange way. It's especially funny watching people in real life or in Let's Plays going through those parts and seeing their reactions to being caught off guard by them.

Edited by Randoman

Most of the examples you mentioned will only hurt players who aren't alert, as I avoided many of them on my first try. If you want to know what real trial and error is, beat Irate Eight on Hard Mode.

Also, as a new Wii U owner, could you explain how to create Miiverse posts? Is there some kind of screenshot tool?

when you see something you like, press the home button, click the miiverse icon. It should prompt you to the miiverse page of the game you were playing and when you select player post, you can pick which specific screenshot you would like to post.

You can also upload your Wii U screenshots by selecting home, then select the web browser, go to any image hosting website like imgur and upload the screenshot.

Nice! So how was Irate Eight?

Also, as a new Wii U owner, could you explain how to create Miiverse posts? Is there some kind of screenshot tool?

I think I only took 3 or so tries in Hard Mode, actually. Then again, I did do Time Trial in Irate Eight right before it so I was able to refresh my mind on where all the falling debris was and how to time and dodge the trickier hazards during the chase. After getting 100% on my file, I generally replayed a level in Time Trial first, then did it in Hard Mode so I'd remember where all the tricky parts were and how I should deal with them.

And kingddd post about making screenshots is correct. Just press home when you have the screen you want to take a picture of, then go to Miiverse and you'll be able to post a screenshot for that game's community. You can't post a screenshot to a game that's not the respective community, though (Eg: posting a Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze screenshot in the New Super Mario Bros. U community).

• 3 weeks later...

Tropical Freeze is my second favourite Wii U game after Super Mario 3D World. I grew up with the Donkey Kong Country games and DKC:TF is my favourite one yet. I think it has better controls and level design than the original SNES games even though they're excellent.