Hard mode is too hard

Box

Well I beat it without save states or losing anyone. It was a lot of resets when you add them all up. I guess it's not too hard but there were times I didn't enjoy the difficulty as much.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hand axes and javelins have terrible accuracy in this game.

Which actually make bows a viable option in this game, with some really good Nomads and Snipers.

Their accuracy isn't too good either compared with tomes. Magic is by far the best range weapon in this game.

aircalibur has 85 hit compared to killer bow's 80 hit. elfire ties brave bow at 75 hit. common dark magic doesn't go above 70 hit and your choices for common light magic are either lightning at 75 hit or divine at 65 hit.

bow users are also better overall than anima magic users.

I added "anima" to my comment.

In late game bows are equal with anima tomes, but in early game (I'd even say in the first half of the game) the fire tome is by far the most accuracy range weapon in this game.

fire's accuracy is good for chip damage up until you get shin, but there is still no way that anima magic is better than bows overall as ranged weapons. anima magic doesn't have killer or brave varieties and its users are plainly worse. it's also actually kind of weak in FE6; thunder and elfire are both weaker than their FE7 incarnations.

Edited by dondon151

fire's accuracy is good for chip damage up until you get shin, but there is still no way that anima magic is better than bows overall as ranged weapons. anima magic doesn't have killer or brave varieties and its users are plainly worse. it's also actually kind of weak in FE6; thunder and elfire are both weaker than their FE7 incarnations.

Heck I find Wolts chip in HM more effective than Lughs in some cases.

Well I have to admit I don't know Shin's potential, because in my hard mode run I used Sue (which was a mistake).

However in earlygame Lugh could do much more with his magic than Wolt and Sue. Better hitrate, more damage and he could double some enemies (for example the draco knights with the steel lance in chapter 7 and knight / general bosses).

Edited by The Taninator

Yeah Lugh is definitely better than any bow user up till Chapter 8. After that it's difficult for him to actually contribute and his chip means less since Shin shows up in Chapter 9 and you get killer bows in Chapter 8 and 9 too. Both Shin and Sue really want that quick promotion for the extra mov and speed to start doubling unpromoted enemies, and their promotion item shows up just after that too.

Edited by Irysa

Man, I'd been avoiding Hard Mode for the longest time but when I did play it about half a year back, goddamn I had so much fun. The early game is hell though. I just grinded Marcus' axe rank and the particularly hard chapters suddenly became a lot easier. I played it on a mobile emulator that didn't support save states for the free version. I had a blast. Really made me appreciate FE6 a lot more.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Well I have to admit I don't know Shin's potential, because in my hard mode run I used Sue (which was a mistake).

However in earlygame Lugh could do much more with his magic than Wolt and Sue. Better hitrate, more damage and he could double some enemies (for example the draco knights in chapter 7 and knight / general bosses).

Shin's really good in HM. Those HM bonuses man.

Yeah Lugh is definitely better than any bow user up till Chapter 8. After that it's difficult for him to actually contribute and his chip means less since Shin shows up in Chapter 9 and you get killer bows in Chapter 8 and 9 too. Both Shin and Sue really want that quick promotion for the extra mov and speed to start doubling unpromoted enemies, and their promotion item shows up just after that too.

Lugh's useful in the desert. He's among the few viable mages at this point. [Lilina's a pain to raise in HM, Ray's going to be relient on Nosferatu for this, and Saul/Ellen may not be promoted at this point. LOL at using Sophia for combat here.]

Man, I'd been avoiding Hard Mode for the longest time but when I did play it about half a year back, goddamn I had so much fun. The early game is hell though. I just grinded Marcus' axe rank and the particularly hard chapters suddenly became a lot easier. I played it on a mobile emulator that didn't support save states for the free version. I had a blast. Really made me appreciate FE6 a lot more.

Marcus is essential in HM, and Zealot is pretty useful too.

Lugh is helpful but not needed in the desert, and he is honestly not particularly useful for combat there unless he can actually use Aircalibur. Weapon rank is a bit slow to build in FE6 so it's extremely unlikely he'll reach B without promotion, and even then he might have trouble making it unless you go quite slowly. By comparison, Klein can blick Wyvern Lords handily with the Brave Bow at base, and you've got a multitude of units who can definitely use the Wyrmslayer to great effect too.You also just got Miledy on the previous chapter who is practically invincible to unpromoted enemies and should have a multitude of Killer Lances to abuse from C13 armory.

I think it's probably arguable that you should promote Saul as early as possible too instead of giving Lugh the guiding ring but that's probably in the realm of pure efficiency so w/e.

EDIT: Come to think of it I think I like Lugh more vs the boss of that chapter than anything else since its a fucking Hero again but since he's using a Light Brand you can fight him with acceptable accuracy at 2 range, which is really rare for a boss in FE6.

Edited by Irysa

Pretty sure Aircalibur is C rank, and you can buy them in the chapter prior to the desert.

But then again, fe6 has shit for combat magic units except for maybe Nosferatank!Niime.

thaat desert chapter is the sole reason I train Gonzo/Shin/Sue/A magi/Thany it seems. I mean fuck that chapter on HM. The only thing that might not have problems with it would be a blessed promoted Nosferutank!Ray with a full stock of nosferatus.

aircalibur is B rank.

mages are a bit overrated in desert chapters. if you have a good one, that's great, but the problem is that IS tends to populate desert chapters with physical enemies, and even trained mages are probably going to get 2HKO'd by most enemies.

people who saw my 0% video of chapter 14 definitely remember echidna taking 29 HP damage from a wyvern lord; that is crazy shit. 36 atk OHKOs lugh unless he's 19/1 or equivalent.

Edited by dondon151

aircalibur is B rank.

This is yet another saving grace of Cecilias ranks over her stats, as the ranks in FE6 are difficult to get in a more speed oriented run. Granted she doesn't use said combat much, but she can poke people if need be.

However in earlygame Lugh could do much more with his magic than Wolt and Sue. Better hitrate, more damage and he could double some enemies (for example the draco knights in chapter 7 and knight / general bosses).

Lugh needs 12 AS to double the Chapter 7 Dracoknights, which is his average at level 12/13. Lugh gaining 11-12 levels in under 4 chapters seems very unlikely in an efficient run.

Shin's really good in HM. Those HM bonuses man.

That's what I meant that I regretted to train Sue instead of Shin. I didn't pay attention to Shin's strength for some reasons.

Lugh needs 12 AS to double the Chapter 7 Dracoknights, which is his average at level 12/13. Lugh gaining 11-12 levels in under 4 chapters seems very unlikely in an efficient run.

Lugh was level 11.

In the earlygame I only focussed on training very few units: Alan, Lance, Dieck, Rutger and Lugh. They all were level 9-11 in chapter 7.

Roy and Wolt sucked so I benched them at once (gave Roy lots of status items later).

Lugh gained lots of levels in chapter 3, 4 and especially 6. I have to admit was very lucky with his unusual high speed growth. I think he had 12 or 13 speed in level 11.

Edited by The Taninator