LunaticScreamer plays FE7if

LunaticScreamer

Well, while I'm waiting for the final official version of FE7 Chaos Mode to come out, I might as well play through another FE hack while waiting. That's the good news.

The bad news....

XoaPUne.png

...I'm playing THIS hack.

This is FE7if, the infamous japanese hack. New music, "new" characters, difficulty boost, the works. Some of the stuff seen here is even stolen from the English community I believe. Granted, my memory is going to be cloudy on what exactly is stolen, but what I do know is the difficulty. Good lord the difficulty. We'll get to THAT as the game progresses.

I intend to plow through Lyn's story within 3-4 updates, max, before the REAL bullcrap begins. As such, there will be very little in the way of talking about my battle actions during her story, just some explanations about a few things as we go along here.

Ideally, I'd like to get out an update or two per day as I'm rarely busy during the day.

With that...first update!

[spoiler=Prologue to ch3: Where my sanity begins its slow decent into nothingness]vKO3bHr.png

Lyn Hard Mode go! I'm not one to sit through boring tutorials.

FjwYE0q.png

Random blood type selection and my birth month (May)

FtLRrNw.png2krZV7B.pngZ8Szocw.png

Actual changes are getting into play now. Besides weapons having more uses overall and rebalanced stats, characters are also changed. In Lyn's case here, she's still speedy as all hell, but her defenses need work. Thankfully, her growths have been increased something fierce...but of course, defense is her one bad growth. Not good!

faQPnio.png

Of course, when characters get rebalanced, so too do the enemies, in particular hp. One thing this hack fucks up on is the fact everything merely has inflated stats. We'll be seeing enemies with massive hp pools much sooner than you think.

N08DwsQ.png

Bosses get inflated too...although this poor sucker manages to be weaker overall than his cohort except for an extra point of hp.

Anyways, nothing to really say about strategy here. Lyn parks her ass on a forest, lets the first Brigand come on over so she can tear him apart, then walks up to the boss and starts ending her turns. He can two shot Lyn.

jxXgRi9.png

Like so. She'd have to get lucky as hell to not die if she were to attack herself. As such, she'll kill off the boss with counter attacks, using a Vulnerary to heal each time she's hit. Thank god Vulneraries are 5 uses and heals 15 hp per use as she needed three doses to put down the boss.

3ZxkcKS.png

First level up! Despite her low defense growth, she hits that and plenty others, making it a solid first level up. No strength sadly, but her cap there is rather low so there's plenty of time for that to catch up.

That's the prologue complete. On to chapter 1 where two new party members join.

yCtxNPC.pngY5cDVCw.pngJ8axg4o.pngsZ1hruU.png

Kent & Sain, the typical cav duo. One usually focuses on strength, the other skill & speed. Here though, that's a bit different.

Sain still has his usual high strength & hp growths, but also has a equally high luck growth. Poor skill, speed, and lowish defensive growths though.

For Kent, he's more balanced. That's usually asking for the RNG to come and own your poor character's ass in level ups. Also, that luck base makes him prone to getting crit early on. It might be only a 2-4% chance, but that can easily come up and bite you in the ass.

Anyways, not much else to say about chapter 1. Everyone attacks from a forest when possible to minimize chances to be hit with Sain & Kent swapping their sole Iron Sword around so both can get in on some action.

Sa4Crny.png

Sain grabs his first level fairly quickly. Can't argue about speed, simple as that.

J2lYSYv.pngLUSYlJr.png

Bosses are pretty bland early on, not gonna lie.

HvaPcpB.pngGyhhsFx.png

Weapon type advantages got changed too. It's +3 Mt & +10 Hit if you have the advantage against your opponent's weapon type.

Anyways, Sain & Kent weaken the boss so Lyn can get the kill. She was hit by a Brigand earlier on and couldn't risk engaging the boss without using a Vulnerary first unless the others weakened said boss enough so she'd wipe him out in one hit.

8tZLrrK.pngTxheLE8.png

Kent picks up a decent first level weakening the boss. Of course, Lyn's happy to show him how a smoking good level up looks like.

Chapter 1 down.

oOq2Pqx.png

Simple map. Lyn hands over her Iron Sword so the boys can rack up some easy experience here.

1PIvxny.pngIQ3cLBy.png

Like so. Speed alone makes both of these level ups good as the duo will need a good 3-4 more speed than this to be doubling Brigands later on.

3xhBH1V.pngeSzulyz.png

Did I mention certain terrain got buffed bonuses. The fort's make sense, but holy christ those throne bonuses are insane.

gHCjHxM.png

Sain grabs another level wiping out the last Brigand skulking about the temple. I think he's determined to get at least one non hp/str/luk oriented point in something per level with the way he's been going thus far.

QKI9OXN.pngTjQYz8b.png

As for the boss...annoying all thanks to that asshole throne. Nobody's getting higher than 60 or so hit, if that, even with weapon type advantages. Thankfully, he's not all that powerful. Also, Kent can double him with an Iron Lance. He and Sain go at the boss, weakening him while stepping back to the forts as needed for health regen. Once he's low, Lyn comes in for the kill.

HefjICz.png

Not the best, but still, more speed. Always important.

That's chapter 2 wrapped up. Chapter 3 starts out with Lyn looking at her shiny new weapon...

SOBQN3D.png

Lyn's Mani Katti is pretty good. Basically, a slightly weaker Killing Edge with 60 uses and boosting her speed by 5. She can double basically anyone now plus that extra avoid helps to cover for her low defense some.

sBAIhDE.pngLQBuH7c.pngdvwycHk.png
R5kMKf2.png

Chapter 3 also brings new recruits to the lineup.

First, Florina. Her bases are pretty solid aside from defense and, to a lesser extent, hp. Growths though...while she has absurd amounts of speed growth (95%!), she has some problem areas, namely her awful strength growth. As such, I tend not to use her long term, but she's still good for being a flyer and thusly capable of shuttling people over mountains and other such terrain anyone can't cross on foot.

Wil on the other hand has more use combat wise. Bases aren't too bad aside from no resistance (but no mages right now thankfully). Growths are fine as well aside from luck, defense, and resistance.

WYRk6VE.png

Not much to be said for the strategy here. Florina flies north to visit the village (2000g), everyone else goes east, weakening enemies so Wil can get kills under his belt.

XGCWLro.png

Kent continues to get tankier and tankier.

fFhPXW9.pngXN7tuOv.png

Signs you're an idiot: You're an enemy archer, there's TWO people without ranged weapons in your way, and you decide the best course of action is to attack the one person with a bow. Wil happily kills the stupid Archer on his counterattack and gets a quite acceptable first level as a result.

DKbRtyT.png

Sain's holding up a chokepoint in a forest, weakening anything coming his way. He even gets a good level up out of it. This guy's gotten 3 speed in 4 levels with a 30% growth. Pretty awesome.

ytZ0MkL.png

Unlike this asshole.

hg14DSK.pngZKYItG4.png

Kent's apparently capable of turning his spear into some gigantic ass scythe when he crits. The RNG gods are not amused sir.

RSwFKKI.png

Lyn manages to reach the armory and...super expensive as all hell weapons. Real freaking cute game, sigh. Lyn sells a pack of Vulneraries (a pack of 5 sells for 1000g), then picks up an Iron Sword so Kent & Sain don't have to fight over a single sword anymore.

t0XSQUH.png3aEHrfr.png

As for the boss...he doesn't move, only attacking anyone right up in his face. Basically, he's telling Wil to kick his ass.

HBpdmjd.png

Wil's first strike gives him...more defense? Sheesh, that's only a 25% growth there buddy. He continues to weaken the boss until Lyn can come in and finish the job.

AB3AXIo.png

That's what I like to see girl, thank you.

Next time: More "new" things this hack introduces!

[spoiler= Growths & Comments (Lyn, Sain, Kent, Wil, Florina)]

Lyn's growths:

Hp: 75% Luk: 70%

Str: 50% Def: 25%

Skl: 75% Res: 45%

Spd: 75%

What else is there to say about one of the main characters? Besides that poor defense growth, she's solid everywhere else. Good for when the bullcrap starts to really ramp up.

Sain's growths:

Hp: 80% Luk: 65%

Str: 60% Def: 25%

Skl: 20% Res: 25%

Spd: 30%

Sain's definitely a min-maxer. Solid hp, strength, and luck, but poor otherwise. We'll be seeing people who have at least 40% minimum in defensive growths soon enough. Even then, he tends to stick around for a good portion of the game for me.

Kent's growths:

Hp: 85% Luk: 25%

Str: 40% Def: 30%

Skl: 45% Res: 25%

Spd: 45%

While Sain focuses on a few specific stats, Kent prefers to spread out his growths. Ok I guess, but he's prone to get RNG screwed easily.

Florina's growths:

Hp: 55% Luk: 40%

Str: 25% Def: 20%

Skl: 50% Res: 70%

Spd: 95%

Here's the problem with this girl...her speed growth is so absurd that her average expected speed at lv20 is 30.05, meaning a cap if she were in her promoted class. She's not and it's sucking points away from what she really needs, namely strength & defense. She's only useful to shuttle people around a big map as her task is for a flier, nothing more.

Wil's growths:

Hp: 75% Luk: 20%

Str: 45% Def: 25%

Skl: 80% Res: 25%

Spd: 40%

Like Florina, Wil has an absurdly high growth in one stat, his skill. He's not as worried about having low defensive growths due to wanting to stay away from melee combat as much as possible thanks to his bows. Sadly though, he can still be prone to the same kind of RNG screwing Kent's vulnerable to, namely in strength & speed, two stats you NEVER want to be screwed in.

Edited by Tangerine

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goodness, I think you might've done a video LP of this too. You hated it then, and I can see you hate it still. Either that or there's another LunaticScreamer who likes Rex from TLP.

To be honest, once I discovered the easy mode, I haven't gone back.

I'm fairly certain the other one is no longer a thing, so...I wish you luck! You're the farthest any screenshot LPer has ever gotten playing this one, at least on this forum! I'd like to see someone actually finish it!

Oh goodness, I think you might've done a video LP of this too. You hated it then, and I can see you hate it still. Either that or there's another LunaticScreamer who likes Rex from TLP.

Yeah, I'm the same guy that did a video LP of this hack back some time ago. There's a lovely story behind that one, but I'll get to it when we get there.

Also...yes, I'm the rabid Rex fan. My avatar? That's Rex from TLP (Though I call him Captain Rex just because).

With that, might as well drop another update here. Sooner I can finish Lyn's story, the better.

[spoiler=ch4-6: New characters and how not to balance old characters]

BxVnzEh.png

Jumping into chapter 4, we see one very silly change. For whatever reason, the hack creators felt it necessary to limit the movement of fliers inside buildings like this one. It's rather stupid, but not the stupidest thing this hack does.

In the meantime...aren't we supposed to be protecting a green army unit here?

h1YQTMa.pngYjXJUVI.png

This would be the first instance of new characters getting added into the hack. This one would be Alice and, well...I don't think she needs protecting, do you? Granted, there's still a chance she could be taken out...

lx2nnLL.pngQbbfzAN.png8bRVIej.png

That would be due to this asshole trio. As you can see, these three have some rather high stats, especially in skill, just so they can kick your ass better. The Mercenary uses a Steel Sword while the others use Iron Axes.

Even then, It would take a huge effort by them and the others of the peanut gallery to take out Alice. She'd have to be around 20 or so hp before an enemy phase began to be at risk of dying.

Now, while I could wall up at the start and let the rest of the non overtuned enemies come crashing against my party, the boss has something...

FYC2NNQ.pngL0Z3rGf.png

Bog standard Brigand #whogivesadamn, but he's holding a Dragonshield. Only boosts defense by 1, but the catch is that it can be used three times, meaning one person could get +3 defense or you could spread the uses amongst a few characters. As such, he needs to die in 7 turns.

One problem though...how do I not invoke the wrath of the asshole trio? Simple!

TZ1dtNN.png

Basically, Kent equips his Iron Sword, then rescues Alice and puts himself just below that central inner chamber. Florina takes Alice from Kent and places her where you see her in that screenshot, then moves a bit east. Lyn, Wil, and Sain go out the east exit to await the enemies on that side. Lyn equips her Mani Katti before this turn ended.

qYV3RlF.png

There's a wall, but it folds instantly thanks to a member of the asshole trio.

As the enemy phase begins, one Brigand attacks Kent, but thankfully not from the asshole trio so he survives easily.

CAfspFI.png

On the east side, Lyn dodges an attack from an interesting fellow, one she can recruit on the next turn. Sain also trades blows with a Brigand in the northeast.

kqy6qRj.png6ESXRqg.pngCIzaFrw.png

Easy enough, wasn't it?

Anyways, this is Dorcas, a unit I'm going to rely on heavily after Lyn's story concludes. He's got pretty solid bases to work with. As for growths, despite that speed base, his growth there is bad, but at least for now, it won't be a huge deal. He's just looking for his levels to provide strength, skill, and defense at a bare minimum.

Also, that Hand Axe of his? It has 20 Wt. That's...silly. Oh whatever, let's keep going on here.

9GkN4Ng.png

Sain smacks the Brigand he started with on the enemy phase, then Dorcas tries to kill him, but misses, forcing Wil to come in and deal the killing blow, netting him this level with some badly needed speed. The Brigand drops an Iron Axe which is going to Dorcas on the next turn.

Everybody else starts to file out through the eastern exit before the next enemy phase begins. Florina takes Dorcas's Hand Axe from him because he's in range of a Brigand and I don't want him getting doubled by it.

Dd0YCQX.png

One of the asshole trio members finds Alice. She is not amused (that's the beginning of her crit animation). Between that hit and her next one, this Pirate goes down to 18 hp. She then decides to nuke & kill the poor Brigand that Kent weakened on the first enemy phase.

oDgWwwv.png

Turn 3 kicks off with Lyn smacking this poor Archer with a crit. Too bad that first hit wasn't a crit too or this one would be dead.

DYglmtD.png

Slight problem here...that Brigand by my team on the east side could pose a threat, but there's also that Archer down south and I need one of them dead this turn. Wil damages the Brigand, Kent follows with a hit of his own and Dorcas...

R2PNAJN.png

...kills the Brigand, despite the shaky odds. Take note of that exp bar of his...that was all after ONE kill. If he got a non killing blow in, that would have been roughly 30 exp. Dorcas levels fast as hell thanks to this.

R1SsgVK.png

Turns keep advancing with Florina finally dropping that Mercenary that appeared in the northeast (Sain boxed him in during that time). Sain's down here to weaken this Brigand.

iH5ApT6.pngi1jWVN8.png

Kent manages to get the kill, picking up some precious luck and more strength in the process.

8VaUUJE.png

Meanwhile, near the boss, Lyn offs a Brigand for a pretty good level. More strength!

nANoW2a.png

Dorcas grabs his first level killing one of the Mercenary reinforcements from the northeast with the help of Florina and the cavs. Not the best, but hell, it's strength. Better than resistance. Also, his hp growth is 100% so he will always be getting a point of hp per level.

7WlRY8Q.png

It took some effort, but between Wil & Lyn, the boss fell in a couple turns with Lyn getting yet another good level, netting that Dragonshield in the process.

After this, not much happens besides grabbing some minor experience wherever it could be found before the final turn.

As for Alice? She wiped out the asshole trio. Used a few Vulneraries, but whatever, she didn't mind.

Onto chapter 5!

RAHomAQ.pngYM6cYlE.pngKQq7Pes.png

2c5qrKR.pngyDChLQZ.png

Right away, Lyn gets to recruit two new units, Serra & Erk. The hack did something to each character that is utterly stupid.

For Erk, you see that 0 skill? Hello having 60-70 hit rates against enemies...and that's BEFORE forests or terrain boosting crap. As such, he's going to attack a bit early on, then fade into mediocrity after that.

My complaint for Serra goes right to her hp growth...30%. What in the seven hells did the hack creators do that for, seriously? Someone must have played TearRing Saga and thought that'd be a good idea for her. I think they should be smacked royally for days on end, but that's another story.

Even so, Serra's still a welcome addition to the team because of her Heal staff, healing (user's magic + 10) to an adjacent target.

gluvCSv.png

Sain gets the first level finishing off an Archer that Erk weakened. Any skill that Sain gets is welcomed, given his low growth there.

faR54fv.png

Wil follows suit weakening a Brigand that attacked Kent. This guy wants to tank, that's for damn sure.

yLrmWdw.png

Wanted to finish off a Mercenary and Florina was the only one that could easily do it before the enemy phase. I let her since she could gain a level and...well, I think she wants me to give her a bit of training so she's somewhat useful later on if this is anything to go off of.

EboTh8R.png02s0sqh.png

I think Kent's still paying for that crit he did with his half assed attempt at a scythe back a few chapters ago. Serra then follows up with healing him and, thanks to her healing any damage other units took, gains her first level. So long as she's getting magic, I'm satisfied.

jLGW4XZ.png

A very typical Sain level comes after he kills an Archer in the northeast. The Brigand that starts near this Archer also drops an Iron Sword when killed.

CtO2uOC.pngtSvoYX0.png

Oh hi boss that doesn't move and only has a 1 range weapon. I hear you and the chapter 3 boss are best buddies. Well sorry, your idiot buddy got cheesed to death and so will you.

m5uNE4v.pngiOuonrX.png

These two use their ranged weaponry to nab some easy free experience. No complaints here.

gsw2bYb.png

Weaponry shop with even more stupidly overpriced crap. Erk's Fire tome gets sold as well as a pack of Vulneraries to buy an Iron Bow because eh, I felt like it.

pZCfupS.png

Lyn gets her usual boss kill and level up to close out the chapter.

Chapter 6 time!

v7vOGwY.pngiWrOhX6.png

First of the new recruits for the chapter. Rath certainly starts out well enough with decent offensive growths. The problem arises once Lyn's story concludes. He then disappears for a huge chunk of the game, only coming back when the enemies will greatly outpace him. As such, you need to decide now if you want to grind him up, something I'm not doing because of...

X9SBHqS.pngigHyTuO.png

...This. Matthew's got workable bases, but the issue at hand here is that I need him up to par when Lyn's story concludes so he can help someone with fighting. The more strength & defense he gets, the better, though speed aplenty is useful too.

Basically, for this chapter, Matthew's going to lure enemies one at a time, killing them via counterattacks while Serra heals his wounds.

ai1ZEFd.pngK0YVNZi.pngpaII8Wt.png

wxIKexB.png0KvNhrc.png44mT9mF.png

fWDpdHQ.png

Matthew's level ups during his training this chapter.

IH8MWrs.pngzyzwNKI.pngZq7uMqO.png

Serra's level ups, including the one she got right after healing up units after the boss died at the end.

Y3n91WG.pngNG6xYHr.png

Dorcas got a couple of level ups during this chapter too. One for weakening an Archer, the other abusing yet another melee only boss from range. Same level up both times, but worth it!

There's a pair of chests in this chapter too which Matthew can open. One has an Armorslayer, the other an Angelic Robe (3 uses, +3 max hp per use). Lyn got every use of the Angelic Robe because nobody else is worthy enough of it.

Q3Wrmai.png

Oh yeah, and she gets her usual boss kill level up. Defense!

Next time: Kids, another new character, and more boss abusing tactics!

[spoiler=Growths & Comments (Dorcas, Serra, Erk, Rath, Matthew)]

Dorcas's growths:

Hp: 100% Luk: 30%

Str: 75% Def: 40%

Skl: 35% Res: 20%

Spd: 25%

Dorcas is another min-maxer like Sain. His Hp will never fail to grow and his strength & defense growths are solid, but he falters a bit everywhere else, especially speed. Might have to rig a few speed level ups if you want him to stay relevant (yes, this hack may require doing that if your level ups suck too much).

Serra's growths:

Hp: 30% Luk: 55%

Mag: 60% Def: 20%

Skl: 30% Res: 60%

Spd: 55%

What the hell hp growth? Why nerf THAT of all things for her, seriously? Oh, and I guess she's got a good magic growth.

Seriously though...30% GODDAMNED HP GROWTH IS STUPID STUPID STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDD (/end rant)!

Erk's growths:

Hp: 85% Luk: 20%

Mag: 25% Def: 75%

Skl: 40% Res: 45%

Spd: 50%

Erk's definitely an odd beast. Getting past his stupid 0 base skill, he has terrible magic growth, something mages want NEVER, yet his defense growth is stupid high. If he were leveled up, he'd be an interesting way to really disrupt the ranks of physical units.

Rath's growths:

Hp: 95% Luk: 25%

Str: 45% Def: 25%

Skl: 80% Res: 25%

Spd: 55%

Rath's growths aren't bad, but his late rejoining time after Lyn's story means you need to grind him up the moment he appears if you don't want him to be near useless when he does finally rejoin.

Matthew's growths:

Hp: 75% Luk: 35%

Str: 35% Def: 25%

Skl: 45% Res: 25%

Spd: 80%

Typical skewed Thief-like growths, but he'll be your only Thief for a good portion of the game so you'd better train him up!

Man, it's like the makers felt obligated to force you to use a specific set of "good" characters by giving all other characters some type of crippling weakness...

Yup. Characters from the base game are basically tossed aside as mildly useful at best (Lyn and, to a lesser extent, Dorcas). To prove that even more, here's another update.

[spoiler= ch7 & 7x: Boss abuse time!]

CmsO6SD.pngYV7yAz8.png

The usual new character joining regiment. First up is Nils who's gotten a buff for one simple reason...he can use staves. Granted, his magic caps very low (10), but it means he can do some backup healing if he so desires with that Mend staff (User's magic + 20 hp restored to an adjacent target). Of course, he still has his ability to grant an adjacent target an extra turn. He'll be getting boosted to lv20 next chapter. Yeah, you heard me right.

There's still one more character that joins though. It's not Lucius sadly, but knowing the hack creators, they'd gimp him to hell and back somehow.

HuUxSVK.pngk17Sxic.png

FE7if is going to drill one thing into your brain...new characters are basically god tier units. Enter into this new character, Ash, who I swear has an ugly black outline on his portrait. His bases are pretty solid and he has a personal weapon that has 1-2 range and boosts his defense by 5.

His growths though? His lowest is luck...at 40%. Everything else is higher than that. Much higher. You'll see when I talk about his growths later.

CfWtlYN.png2AA2ZSE.png

Time to dive into the map. Since I need to clear it quickly to reach 7x, Florina is going to shuttle Ash to a small island west of the boss where he'll sit until I'm ready to push forward. Florina will then go back and rescue Lyn to bring her to Ash, just so I possibly can dump exp on someone that might benefit from it.

During that time, everyone else is going to push east and start killing enemies. Sain here feels like turning his sword into a boomerang to instantly slay an Archer and gets a typical Sain level for his efforts. Better than Kent's screwed up scythe-related level, that's for sure.

jXzXzSW.png

Just to give you an idea what some enemies are like stat wise at this point. High skill, high speed Mercenaries are lovely, that's for sure.

NHxfZ62.png1EcmDqd.png0ByerxL.png

Rest of the map is boring (besides a few magic casting enemies making a debut), so have some levels. Matthew's share from this chapter caps his speed and nets him another point of strength.

U3ILlTl.pngsQjeQh9.png

Last pair of levels gained this map. Dorcas gets an...odd stat, given his usual growths, while Serra gets a good one since it had defense.

Xy4Gy9q.pnggb6qHz2.pngXFR7Ao4.png

After that village in the northeast is visited (Holy Water get), Ash begins to crawl east, running into a female Druid before ramming into the main boss of this chapter. This one is nasty because, of course, on a gate for lovely evade boosts, but more importantly his stats. He's got a decent chance to crit and nobody outside of Lyn & Ash can easily survive a critical unless a use of Holy Water is applied. Worse yet, his defense is high enough that Lyn can't easily solo the boss by herself.

Thankfully though, Ash's unique weapon doubles the boss and does good damage. Once Serra gets over to him to act as his healer, he has no problem killing the boss, getting roughly half a level's worth of experience for the effort as the team goes on to 7x.

3BqeTxl.png

Team for chapter 7x. Erk & Rath sit out once again (They did so last map too).

XoOy7Iy.png

Starts out simple enough. Matthew, Ash, and Nils are going to book it for the treasure room since a Thief is going to get in there after a few turns otherwise and loot the chest which has a Hammer. Meanwhile, everyone else will clean house up the only other two routes going north.

PCfzMxV.png

Soldiers aren't very exciting aside from the usual absurd hp level, the highest of any non-boss unit here.

IBVPVNe.png

Wil kicks off the festivites by planting an arrow in the Soldier's face and getting a damn good level. Strength & speed are already great as is plus yet more defense. More importantly, that one point of strength is going to allow him to get some mad experience come boss time.

JNLFlr8.png

Soldier begins breaking through a wall

wXyrBBs.png

I'm pretty sure every single male Soldier & Cavalier cringe when they have to go into battle, mainly because of this happening.

lcA0YJw.png

An Archer with silly delusions of trying to harm Ash can't even damage him. Ash makes him think twice and kills him with the power of shinies.

3Zx2MHC.png

Wil consumes a use of the Holy Water, just in case the Mage attacks him again on the next phase (he doesn't, opting to attack Kent instead).

W4k6q6i.png

Matthew intercepts the Thief and steals his Lockpick. This will be worth something later, trust me.

6VSVGqH.png

And another male goes down in painful fashion like the Soldier.

L3O9ziX.pngENmkjOI.png

Matthew tries to kill the Thief with the help of Nils, but can't crit and thusly he's going to turn tail and run away from the map. Can't blame him.

Meanwhile, Dorcas & Kent are going up the central path when a Brigand comes to play. I wanted Dorcas to weaken the Brigand so Kent could pick up a kill, but Dorcas was intent on pulling a crit out of his ass to one shot the poor sucker. Fine by me I guess.

whI50ot.pngQ2wpLIn.pnguEKPloc.pngN9xVxXj.png1ZzHiB4.png

Some level ups while people are cleaning house all over the map. No complaints here (though Kent MIGHT want to get some speed soon unless he feels like forcing my hand in rigging level ups to include that).

yRXdwBk.pngVLJ1kOi.png

One Mage isn't having any luck trying to hit Nils. Same goes for a Shaman not seen in screenshots once the Mage dies by Matthew's hand.

9jN6Sni.png

Matthew getting more defense. Always good.

IcA2kNH.pngq7EhjkU.png

Only the boss left now. Built pretty much like the lowly Mercenaries with that high skill score, meaning a crit from him is likely killing half your team in one shot or close to it.

On the plus side? He's got an Orion's Bolt he forks over when he kicks off. Wil's going to like that, especially when he's about to get mad exp. You see, that one point of strength he got earlier is just enough to let him do 1 damage a hit with his Iron Bow.

First thing's first...Ash comes in weaponless to drain the uses of the boss's Hand Axe with Serra healing him as needed and Nils dancing for exp. Once that goes kaput, Wil comes in to begin his training spree. Once the boss reaches a point where any hit from Wil would kill him, Nils goes into dancing king mode until he hits lv20.

The results?

mjqvv9m.png6nXE26g.pngczY1mPm.png

Wil has the highest defense of the army right now, Nils is doing fine for what I want from him (too bad he didn't cap speed), and Serra got some precious hp & defense, among other things.

FsT1bGE.pngxKptDtS.pngu1JC1zU.png

Lyn comes in to get her usual boss kill, doing some nice evasion tactics and overkilling the boss for a solid level with more defense in it. Strength is a bit weak, but that can be fixed in a few chapters.

Next time: Lyn's story concludes!

[spoiler=Growths & Comments (Nils, Ash)]

Nils' growths:

Hp: 45% Luk: 110%

Mag: 25% Def: 20%

Skl: 20% Res: 95%

Spd: 85%

Not much needs to be said about Nils. Yeah, his hp & defense aren't going to amount to much, but his evasion is going to skyrocket, making him a nice way to bait out low accuracy enemies. He also happens to have a high resistance growth, making him useful for baiting out dangerous mages.

Ash's growths:

Hp: 120% Luk: 40%

Str: 80% Def: 50%

Skl: 70% Res: 50%

Spd: 60%

Yeah, Ash sets a gold standard for all new/special characters that join the team. His lowest is luck, and even then, that's an acceptable growth for most vanilla characters. He'll need some levels when the game really gets serious, but he'll pull through with those growths, no questions asked. Always a mainstay of my endgame team (Though that's just as easily due to FE7if wanting you to use the new characters, heh).

Edited by LunaticScreamer

Exactly why I hate FE7if. Where's the strategy when all units are useless except the ones the designer wants you to use? Especially in a game where the enemies outclass you so badly that using a non-god tier unit means you can't win.

Just...seriously? I was NOT expecting those stats. I mean, just...as Klok said, there's little room for strategy or variation when the developer says "this unit is worthless, this one is amazing", and doesn't even TRY to hide it. And not in a crutch character sense either! I mean, that guy has a LEVEL ONE base! Just...ugh!

I find your strategy for Dorcas' chapter interesting. I had Kent and Sain block the main entrance while the Green NPC chipped away at units from the left. I would send Will in to assist with some of the damage output, and eventually send Dorcas to help Kent and Sain. I see what you mean about the growths. I managed to train Sain and Lyn up to competent level, but Sain was out-shined by Isadora and some of the other units.

Time to wrap up Lyn's story!

[spoiler=ch8-10: Lyn's story conclusion]

MVslinE.png

Chapter 8 starts out easily enough. The majority of the enemy units are going to come from the south, trying to pass through that narrow passageway with all the forests on the west side.

Also, take note of the ballista and the village. The ballista is basically saying "GTFO Florina" until its ammo is depleted while the village has a Lancereaver, a sword that is effective on lances and has double bonuses for a weapon type advantage or disadvantage, namely 6 Mt and 20 Hit.

Anyways...guess who's going to run interference and stall most of the enemies coming from the south? Nils. With his massive evasion in a forest, there's maybe one enemy that could hit him in a forest...

JL5aLnP.png

This guy. Even then, good luck hitting the kid.

W7o79yL.pngcDAKeIa.png

Opening salvo of levels goes to Dorcas & Wil as they weaken a Mage coming in from the east. Both are good simply because it features speed, a stat both of them sorely need. Dorcas gets bonus points for getting defense & luck, among other things.

tUZDDD8.pngVHUy4uo.png

Serra got nailed by a ballista bolt during the first enemy phase, then the Mage & Shaman decide that instead of a chance to do actual damage to Wil or Dorcas, they attack Serra. Fire Emblem AI: The AI stands for Artificial Idiocy!

HahsvdT.pnguXmkhJ2.pngLeVtBoG.pngw1SAYZB.png

Not much to say for the challenge of the map. Sain or Kent take Nils' place in a forest when they're ready and start killing things to get to lv10 at least while Wil takes potshots and Serra heal spams.

r7snCZV.png1NUc1Ri.png

Once Sain & Kent have hit lv10, any enemies not yet dead before the bridges leading to the boss get axed to death courtesy of Dorcas. So long as his strength & defense continue to rise, I'll be satisfied.

XzvysR3.pngm8LeRsU.png

Couple things to note...some Cavaliers can use bows, meaning you'll need to check weapons closely if any approach so you don't accidentally make your flier an arrow pincushion.

Also, those lockpicks. Yeah, a pristine 30 use one sells for 7500 gold. These two and that Fire tome (dropped by the sole Mage) put me over 20k gold.

u5k2jWb.png

You'll want to watch out for the Mercenary/Soldier/Brigand combo here. Each one carries a reaver type weapon and can easily gank you if you rush in recklessly. Nils runs over the bridges to the one leading west to some forts to lure the Mercenary his way, making it easy to drop him without luring in the Soldier too.

b0rfbNO.pngeqTUSPr.png

Dorcas proceeds to remove most of the Mercenary's hp for a level that has speed while Sain gets whammied. That is precisely why you don't want to have a weapon type disadvantage against a reaver using enemy, especially if you have low luck. Not that Sain's luck is bad, but still.

2892XaS.png

Of course, Sain wants to make sure such an event isn't as likely to happen again. Can't say I blame him.

jZu9WAh.pngV7JHQsP.png

Not much to say about the boss besides a reaver weapon and high defense. Taking him out from range would be ideal if you can do even 2-3 damage a hit because he's probably one shotting half your army if his attack goes critical.

wg7GxYB.pngfqoJSq0.pngSz7qvmy.pngovZNnpQ.png

Another wave of levels thinning the herd some.

oy00GNk.png5zLONL6.png

Lyn does her usual business with killing bosses and gets strength. Nice!

Chapter 9 time.

IlTgXES.pngiaEz1Oh.png

Right at the start, a new unit joins, Wallace. Continuing the proud FE7if tradition of neutering vanilla characters, he has a big fat 0 for speed...and a 0% speed growth too. While this does makes him useless, he's not for this chapter and most of the next one for one reason...a massive defense score, meaning the chapter 9 & 10 bosses are likely going to be the only ones aside from spellcasters that can actually harm him heavily.

Also, note the Knight Crest in his inventory. This is one reason I wanted to do Lyn Hard Mode as I can toss that Sain's way when he hits lv20 this map. Yes, he's going to do that.

In the meantime though...

7mIEp0x.png

Basically, Wallace is going to be a giant armored blockade for the southern bridge and a weaponless Ash for the northern pass. Matthew is going to weaken Brigands coming from the southwest fort so Wil, Kent, or even Sain can pick up kills for easy experience.

9tToFtE.pngLqVVKE1.pngxjWMBcG.png

Alternatively, send a rampaging Dorcas to shame 3/4ths of the northern pass forces since he still gets like 40+ exp a kill, even at lv15+. That works too.

YgPT6iU.png

Wil taking 0 damage for the win. Granted, it was an Archer, but still.

G6NX5qe.pngKGyxN3u.png

Between some earlier enemies and some of the last batch by Wallace, Wil picked up enough levels this chapter to hit lv20 and used that Orion's Bolt next chance he had to promote.

As you can see, promotion bonuses got a massive boost. Sadly luck still got shafted in getting any kind of bonus, but whatever, that's a pretty damn good promotion for Wil, especially the +7 speed and +5 defense. He's almost as tanky as Wallace. Amusing.

itUDxvG.pngVWV7XZp.pngVERmDEH.pngq6ekuBl.pngpkcM2Jm.png6YmUH1Y.png

Matthew taking some steps to correct that low luck of his a bit and get some extra defense on his way to hitting lv20. Looking pretty good, all things considered.

SEqbth3.png

See that Cavalier? It was going into the mist to heal up at a fort, then coming back for more beat 'em up sessions, hence why Matthew was able to reach lv20 so easily.

jzwuwM7.pngQXcqW6M.png7RWFpvn.png

Sain was abusing this Cavalier for awhile too...until he randomly critted her. Oh well, I have plan B for getting him up to par.

e5j1xrX.pngsELmBw6.png

Hello plan B! Bosses are getting steadily more ridiculous with their stats, but his weaponry leaves a bit to be desired, even if it's ranged equipment. That Javelin of his? It has 22 Wt. FE7if sure doesn't want non-bow based units doubling very often, if at all.

Still, Wallace is going to drain all of his weapon uses, getting help from Kent & Florina to shuttle him to a nearby fort for easy healing as needed.

jbzX0EK.png

Didn't take long to be honest.

OgENmLp.pngiElLbTJ.png

Sain took some time to grind on the boss, easily hitting lv20 and promoting. Lacking a bit in skill, but otherwise he's doing good.

Qf92I4R.png

Dorcas took some boss abuse grinding time as well to hit 20. It'll be quite some time before he gets a chance to promote though.

JxbQtcQ.pnggVj3x4Y.pngvMkskUb.png

The usual boss kill for Lyn, though note that damage. She'll need to keep getting strength here if she doesn't want to turn into a liability for boss slayings which, if that level is to go by, is going to be no problem for her. Her strength caps low (15), so it's reasonable to assume she could reach it or come close.

Chapter 10!

HGomOoo.png75Maq0X.png

Easy enough chapter before the boss. The enemies don't pose much of a threat, but there's this village Florina's booking it towards. There's a Brigand that can reach this village and destroy it which I don't want to happen. Luckily, the periodic rain storms work in her favor, reducing the movement rate of all units except fliers, meaning she's in no danger here, able to slip in the next turn, grab the Energy Ring, then bolt back to the team with no danger to herself.

kT9M0jd.png9vM4a7c.png

Thanks to a bit of abuse on a Knight while it was standing on a fort, Kent was able to hit lv20 and promote shortly before the boss.

ICYf1El.png05gQa60.png

The ridiculous stats just keep getting higher and higher and EVEN HIGHER!

Oh yeah, he's also an actual threat. Those silver weapons hurt like hell. So much so that I can't even risk using Wallace to drain his weapon uses with as the crit risk is just too high.

wRHkyE1.pngII0kld6.png

More overpriced equipment (Heal staves for 9000 gold, really).

After all of the bosses weapons were depleted (Needed a Heal staff so the process wouldn't take over an hour with Sain taking the blows), I aimed to get everyone that was promoted to at least lv10 or close to it. Everyone else not promoted went for lv20 (mainly Serra). Yeah, it was 5-7 exp a hit for the promoted gang, but whatever, I'm going to need some strong units later, trust me.

AVM4zHm.png4SvCwxK.pngTJtySPA.png

The unpromoted crew. Matthew likely will never promote since his replacement is going to blow him out of the water stat wise. Serra is in the same boat too.

Dorcas though? He's getting a promotion once I run across the Hero's Crest to promote him. He's a central figure in my army for a good portion of the game.

Also, Lyn was doing well enough with her strength growth that I threw all 3 uses of the Energy Ring to Matthew. He could use all the extra help he can get in chapter 11.

F7VkLeX.pngKZFhQG5.png

The red/green cavalier duo finally has some stat differentials between them. Sain's very strong and able to stuff criticals pretty damn well, but Kent is very fast and much more accurate. Once supports open up, those two are going to form one so they can kill more effectively.

QH4TDUW.png

Wil capped skill as expected and is doing pretty well otherwise, getting a rush of resistance levels late to help shore up that weakness of his a bit.

4YnatCJ.png

Ash even got in on some leveling himself. Not much luck, but that's ok. Everything else is much more important for him right now.

That's everyone...actually wait, isn't there one person left?

Vy0GBpK.pngBQY1MWs.pngGG1n6Zo.png

Oh yeah, Ms. Boss Slayer. She needed some Armorslayers from the shop to do any damage once her Mani Katti ran out, but she managed to hit lv20. That'll help her in her return later in the game.

Next time: "But know this - about you, and this purgatory from which you long to escape...

4LdpeYw.png

... you're merely at the threshold."

[spoiler=Growths & Comments (Wallace)]

Wallace's growths:

Hp: 100% Luk: 60%

Str: 65% Def: 70%

Skl: 65% Res: 50%

Spd: 0%

Well, FE7if dun fucked up another vanilla character! Even then though, Wallace wouldn't be useful long term. Low movement, low speed cap for Generals (21 I believe). Lovely.

Yeah, I think it really says something about FE7if when it can be compared to Corrupt Theocracy. I mean, it looks like the leveling curve is going to SLAM 20/20 once the main game actually starts. Also...

DAT BOSS HP

Well, time to get the next leg of this stupid adventure underway.

[spoiler=Ch11: Hector's quest begins...and it's a painful one]

rvyOvXq.png

It begins. If you thought FE7if wasn't bullshit enough yet, it's about to get worse. MUCH worse.

b3zLWJr.png5lQVmzS.png

While Matthew's back here with the same stats he had in Lyn's story and fresh equipment (Iron Sword, Lockpick, Vulneraries), this guy is the real star of the show. This is Hector and he's pretty awesome. Solid bases besides having no resistance to speak of (That +5 is being provided by his Wolf Beil). Growths are rather min-maxed...namely, hp, strength, and defense are his best. The rest are low, but not stupidly so.

Now then, things start out rather...ominously.

LZgGSaQ.png3k7o510.pngeaYhFk2.pngLFw0Zem.pngg7Driji.png

Like so. That's not every enemy on the map, but still, FE7if just decided to ramp everything up more. I think hard mode adds something like +6 hp and +2-3 to almost all stats, maybe more, compared to this map on normal mode (and all future Hector Mode maps I presume).

Zl1v9la.png

Here's another problem. This particular Thief is going to bolt for the door just south of the chest, open it, try to claim the chest, then probably open more doors or book it. First, I don't want that chest being swiped. Secondly, that just lets in more enemies to make this a slog.

gBxXKAG.png

Situation on turn 2. Matthew's opened up the treasure room while Hector is walling up against the Soldier & Archer. So long as the Archer doesn't get any ideas about doing bullshit criticals, things shouldn't get out of control.

kxtO2N6.png

Hector may only be hitting once, but it's decent damage (you suck 46 hp Soldier. Why couldn't you have had 1 less hp?). His defense also means he can tank surprisingly well here, provided he doesn't get swarmed by 3+ enemies at once.

9IoCzt7.pngR5I1Ltj.png

Hector takes Matthew's Vulneraries to heal up while Matthew rushes south to meet with the Thief and lift his Lockpick from him. That's 7250 gold for the pile which is always nice. Said Thief suicided on Matthew in the following enemy phase like an idiot.

This is why having a well trained Matthew pays off. He can keep the heat off Hector who'll be plinking away at enemies to slowly increase his level.

yU8tSac.png

Archers are still stupid it seems. It went here to attack Hector, not aware that Hector could move one square south and box him in, rendering him toothless.

BczznQb.pngVVJ6vRn.png

Hector decides to punish the idiot Archer by critting his face to the moon and getting a solid first level up.

Slight forewarning...I might have to rig a couple level ups for Hector so his speed doesn't suck. Trust me, FE7if gets bullshit enough to force my hand on this. Not that I did it on this one mind you, but something to keep in mind.

CC72Jpw.pngaMOVRbY.png

Hector's in a good position now, able to wall off the enemies coming from the south and grab a level with more defense. Just as important for him as speed is to be honest.

9HW7W7F.png

Gotta love the smell of fresh lured in Archer in the morning.

UNwGetO.png

I want to say that this level was rig'd up. Only one more was like that this map and it was at the boss.

7XeSkIF.png

This Archer makes for good training material for Hector. He'll keep using those Vulneraries when he gets low on hp, meaning more chip experience for Hector (Think he gets around 10 exp or so per hit, 25-30 for a kill at this stage).

ygim6v5.pngj22pjbM.png

Hector's last level before the boss. No, I didn't rig that one up. Hector was just awesome enough to get that on his own.

Meanwhile, Matthew loots that chest, netting a Blue Gem that sells for 5000 gold. Between that and the Lockpick, I've got 12,250 gold in the war chest. Not bad at all!

0l2Ow55.pngwGcP3aX.pngClzTNUN.png

M9MzzVU.pngm4WNH6u.png

The boss isn't anything to write home about. He has an Iron Lance & Vulneraries. That means Hector gets to use his Hand Axe until it breaks, gaining a bunch of levels in the progress (Remember, Hector's only getting about 10 exp per hit on the boss and maybe...70+ exp for the boss kill). Considering Hector's speed cap is 15 (WHY), he's well on his way to almost ramming into it.

Fun fact...the last use of the Hand Axe killed the boss (which is when Hector got that last level up). Timed perfectly, heh.

Next time: How FE7if makes things even worse

[spoiler=Growths & Comments (Hector)]

Hector's growths:

Hp: 100% Luk: 30%

Str: 70% Def: 75%

Skl: 30% Res: 25%

Spd: 35%

Not much really needs to be said. Hector's still a knight in lord's clothing and it serves him well early on, making him into a solid defensive wall that hits hard. He just needs to get some early skill & speed and he'll do well...for now.