The Wii U's gamepad gimmicks. Good or bad.

Owain_the_swordsman

The Wii U gamepad is a strange gimmick of the Wii U. But does that make it good or bad? And before you hate, I just want to say this. It sounds like I'm completely bashing the Wii U, but that's not what it is. I love the Wii u with it's wide selection of games, but you have to admit it has some flaws. We're discussing them here.

One of the first gimmicks you'll notice that's different from the Wii and the Wii U is the gamepad. Cool, right? You can even play ONLY on this thing on specific games too, so even better. But then it hits you. It's just an IPad with the 3DS type buttons and 2 sticks. Not very creative. Not to mention, it has that touch control too. So... A 3ds style IPad. And, would you even want to use this huge ipad as a controller anyway? I'm not playing smash bros on that thing. And if I'm using the TV too, how do I control both looking at each simultaneously? (Hear that pikmin 3?)

Pros: Can be used to play without using the Tv, can be used as a second controller

Cons: Even though it can be used as a second controller, its still hard to use on some specific games like smash bros. Not too creative.

i legitimately like the controller setup tbh, i use it over the gamecube controller (i do have the adapter) for my smashing.

EDIT: the only thing i don't like for using it in smash is you have to do some gymnastics to l+r+a+st

also the controller video screen is the tightest invention ever; smash uses it in a really lame fashion (i actually want to turn it off to save battery power lol) but mh3u lets you shunt your entire hud to a heads-down display and leaves your screen free of all non monster clutter, it's glorious.

Edited by Integrity

Pros: Can be used to play without using the Tv, can be used as a second controller

Cons: Even though it can be used as a second controller, its still hard to use on some specific games like smash bros. Not too creative.

*hint hint* Smash wasn't designed with the Gamepad in mind.

I like the Gamepad and the wider, innovative potential it has compared to other consoles. I'd love to see what other franchises do with it.

Now if only my parents would actually let me get a Wii U for once then we'll be talking.

*hint hint* Smash wasn't designed with the Gamepad in mind.

And yet Nintendo still hasn't restocked GameCube controller adapters :/ Also touch controls don't work on the menus.

It's not too bad with Smash though, but for single-player games it's really good. I also love playing those Nintendo Land games like the Luigi one which is fun with a bunch of friends, plus not having to turn on the TV is nice.

One of my favourite things about the controller honestly though is it has a second analog stick.

I don't have Smash yet so I can't say on it, but I use the game pad when I play my Wii U and I probably won't get the game cube adapter. I like the game pad fine the only problem I have is my hands sometimes cramp if I play to long because I have small hands.

I absolutely love the Wii U GamePad. I feel that it allows for more creative game design (despite the design of the GamePad itself perhaps not being too creative, but truly, how could it?), with its gyroscope controls, touch screen, amiibo, etc., and the GamePad itself is a remarkably comfortable controller. I personally adore the system's gimmicks.

The Wii U Gamepad offers some pretty interesting possible gameplay mechanics. A lot of the stuff I saw in Zombii U looked glorious, like something I've always wanted. But the execution in any game that I've played thus far has been less than stellar. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it will be like all the other gimmicky shit Nintendo has released since the Gamecube; you'll have loads of shovelware that invalidate it, then a few gems that make you totally alright with the design decision. You'll just have to wait awhile for them to come along I guess.

I think the Gamepad is great. I know the Wii U has some flaws, and like you said; we should discuss them here. I think the Wii U is great, the best current gen console, and the gamepad is one major reason why.

Here's a big issue though: Battery. Life.

It's lacking.

Here's a big issue though: Battery. Life.

It's lacking.

Yeah. It becomes a real problem, particularly for me, since i prefer the GamePad presently over everything else, as I don't use my T.V. My T.V.'s just too old to make it look good.

The gamepad pleasantly suprised me. Its comfortable as all hell, the picture on it is great, and the touch screen capability introduces alot of new ways of using it. The best games I've personally used with it are Windwaker HD and Arkham City Armored Edition.

I find the gamepad to be a lot nicer than I thought it would be. It's kind of large and clunky in my tiny hands, but it plays well, and I like having the mini screen (sometimes I use that exclusively because my eyes are kind of poor so it can make things easier for me to see than looking at the further off TV).