Who is the worst unit in FE:A ?

Chloe Neo

If you're going for Str and Def, Kellam provides better short term benefits to Fred.

Virion actually supports Fred though. This means higher dual strikes rates as well.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my end, Robin used Sully as a support bot for the combination of Spd and Def. Fred and Virion can be at A by like C6 and can be used all the way until like C13.

I'm with Ownagepuffs on this, Virion x Fred builds surprisingly quickly and is a useful support. In Lunatic, Virion is an ideal pairup partner for Fred in chapter 2 since both Cavaliers kind of need to get other people the hell out of the way and you want some extra +Def. Vaike gives def but doesn't have a weapon. After that it just sort of continues because they'll likely have C or something and the bonuses and extra DS chance help out. For me Fred and Virion were A in like C8 and have been marginally useful here and there, although obviously once promoted enemies start showing up they become way less relevant.

IMO, Sumia is only particularly helpful on Fred earlygame if you get lucky with speed procs because he can double a couple of enemies in C3 with her, and you kind of don't care about feeding kills right at the start of the squeeze. Fred as a long term unit is kind of doomed unless you dump an unreasonably large amount of EXP into him at the cost of other units that can easily surpass him with the same amount.

Edited by Irysa

His range is decent, but ultimately useless once you have mages

Are two sources of ranged damage not better than one?

no good can come from archers at all, really

You should check out this thread. It may enlighten you to the awesome power of Archers to completely no-sell Counter in Lunatic+. Archers also get Longbows, which are great both ingame (especially on Lunatic+ once again, and you even get a free one from Renown) and on Apo. And for trashing Streetpass teams, of course.

Archers have their flaws, but also some of the most useful abilities in the game should you be in any place where they may help out.

You should check out this thread. It may enlighten you to the awesome power of Archers to completely no-sell Counter in Lunatic+. Archers also get Longbows, which are great both ingame (especially on Lunatic+ once again, and you even get a free one from Renown) and on Apo. And for trashing Streetpass teams, of course.

Archers have their flaws, but also some of the most useful abilities in the game should you be in any place where they may help out.

Yeah, archers are underrated. I had a single sniper for Apo and without him, I probably wouldn't have beaten that map.

On my end, Robin used Sully as a support bot for the combination of Spd and Def. Fred and Virion can be at A by like C6 and can be used all the way until like C13.

Fred as a support provides significantly more Str and Def, though, which is important for getting Robin to tank Lunatic+. Sully's Spd bonus is unlikely to put Robin into doubling range, so ultimately pales compared to even just 2 extra solid Def. Also, Fred ideally becomes decoy/maybe emergency backup attacker/tank by the end of chapter 3. Really, though, once Robin starts snowballing, Fred, like all the other characters other than Chrom, really just start to get in her way and be liabilities when it comes to dangerous situations. Then once training opportunities come up, Fred is at the very bottom of the list for people getting that resource (well, aside from if Donnel is on the team, then Fred's second-from-the-bottom).

Fred as a support provides significantly more Str and Def, though, which is important for getting Robin to tank Lunatic+. Sully's Spd bonus is unlikely to put Robin into doubling range, so ultimately pales compared to even just 2 extra solid Def. Also, Fred ideally becomes decoy/maybe emergency backup attacker/tank by the end of chapter 3. Really, though, once Robin starts snowballing, Fred, like all the other characters other than Chrom, really just start to get in her way and be liabilities when it comes to dangerous situations. Then once training opportunities come up, Fred is at the very bottom of the list for people getting that resource (well, aside from if Donnel is on the team, then Fred's second-from-the-bottom).

My Robin was Spd screwed so believe it or not there were several times Robin was boosted into doubling range after Sully pair up. The defense boost difference Cav and GK the classes isn't a large difference.

Robin can't be everywhere. Especially in places like C6 where there are multiple points to choke. To straight up ditch Fred after C3 when his bases can carry him to mid game really doesn't make sense to me. You're also assuming Robin is female for whatever reason.

Finally, you misunderstand. We're not giving Fred a Virion pair up to train him. We're doing it to boost his survivability.

Gaius. Yes, Gaius. I apologize to any of you who have Gaius as their favourite character.

That's fine, now let's see why you think that--

Reason why: His stat growths. For me, he only ever increased Skill and Speed and occasionally Strength, which is all well and good, but still having around 17 or so Defense AFTER skill grinding as an Assassin does not cut it, in my opinion. Here are Gaius' average stats I get per playthrough. Class is usually Assassin:

HP: 76, Str: 40, Mag. 20, Skl.48, Spd. 46, Lck. 22, Def. 15-18, Res. 8-11

When all other units are usually maxed out after Skill grinding. This is a real shame since I like Gaius as a character and his critical hit quotes and voice are badass in both japanese and english.

"Because I'm going off of my personal experience, as opposed to seeing how else he can be utilized." If I took this mentality, Avatar takes the cake - my first one on Lunatic was near-unusable.

Gaius gets out of this classification by pair-up bonuses alone. He can help out Speed-screwed units and give some extra movement, to boot.

My Robin was Spd screwed so believe it or not there were several times Robin was boosted into doubling range after Sully pair up. The defense boost difference Cav and GK the classes isn't a large difference.

Robin can't be everywhere. Especially in places like C6 where there are multiple points to choke. To straight up ditch Fred after C3 when his bases can carry him to mid game really doesn't make sense to me. You're also assuming Robin is female for whatever reason.

Finally, you misunderstand. We're not giving Fred a Virion pair up to train him. We're doing it to boost his survivability.

I typically don't expect to double without Chrom for a good long while with Robin, so if the +1 Spd from Sully is all you needed to double, I'd say you were hardly Spd screwed. The Great Knight class itself doesn't change it a lot, no, but Fred himself provides 4 Str and Def because of his base stats. 2 Def can make a huge difference in chapters 1 and 2 when Robin is facing as many opponents as he/she is. Not to mention the Silver Lance Dual Strikes that Sully can't possibly hope to touch in power.

Chapter 6 can absolutely be done with exactly one pair. I've done it before and repeated it several times. Lunatic+ requires a bit more luck, but a sufficiently powered up Robin can win it by him/herself (for reference, said Robin will steamroll it on vanilla Lunatic). There's a crucial... Fighter, I think it is, on the other side of the left wall that needs to die. Then Robin needs to sit by "Marth" until all the Thieves suicide on him/her (they prioritize attacking over lockpicking). With no Thieves left, the enemy has zero ways to open the front door, leaving that 1-tile side passage as the only entrance. GG, Validar.

Also, I was assuming female Robin because she's the safest, most reliable way to do Lunatic+'s main campaign. Early game male Robin can use the exact same strategies, though, because Galeforce and the kids aren't a factor yet.

And you misunderstand me. I'm saying that Fred, like all the other units, will tend to pull stuff away from Robin, therefore putting all the other deployed units in danger. He typically won't double, so he doesn't have enough offense to tank and kill the same way Robin can. Therefore, even with boosted survivability, he's at best a stalling tank that can either finish off a wounded enemy or maybe lure one down to get dogpiled by the others. Enemies having Pass freely and randomly thrown at them makes this less than reliable, though. By the time I get to a point where I want to be using other units for more than very incidental situations, it's the easy training chapters, where I don't want Fred to be taking combat at all, if possible.

Here's a thing... Sully has 8 Spd and Cavs give Spd+1 pairup bonuses. Fred has 10 Spd and GKs give +0. So their Spd pairup bonus is actually exactly the same.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

So much hate thrown at Ricken makes me sad. Isn't Luna a good option? o3o; I don't know much about the stats stuff of the game, so for worst DESIGN, it had to be Nowi. I don't care if she's really 1000 years old, it's just wrong to dress up a child-like body like that. They might as well have called her "Loli", and her daughter "Con".

Coming from the one who shamelessly married Ricken, I know...

So much hate thrown at Ricken makes me sad. Isn't Luna a good option?

Postgame, yes. But postgame isn't the biggest part of Awakening and units/pairs perform very differently there than they do ingame anyway, so while Ricken may be valuable there he still kind of stinks ingame.

Postgame, yes. But postgame isn't the biggest part of Awakening and units/pairs perform very differently there than they do ingame anyway, so while Ricken may be valuable there he still kind of stinks ingame.

Ohh. I get it now eheh... I should review the Lunatic Club and brush up on my stats and stuff...

Mind if I add something in Donnel's defense?

Most of us are probably going to turn Donnel into a mercenary first chance we get. But when compared with Severa, Gregor, and Inigo, his Luck growth is so off the roof it doesn't compare to the other three pure mercenaries, and certainly tops them for availability, even counting the time it takes for him to reclass.

​You know what runs off the Luck stat? Armsthrift and Despoil, or more to the point: Leif's blade which is only a D rank and also has as much crit as a killing edge and you get for free with renown. In all my play throughs, I've only had his original Leif blade break once. (And by forging mostly crit and earning Sol, he certainly becomes a very profitable and durable one man murder machine.)

Yes, Donnel does take a little investment, but I find he certainly pays back in the literal sense with interest.

Edited by Wooster

Mind if I add something in Donnel's defense?

Most of us are probably going to turn Donnel into a mercenary first chance we get. But when compared with Severa, Gregor, and Inigo, his Luck growth is so off the roof it doesn't compare to the other three pure mercenaries, and certainly tops them for availability, even counting the time it takes for him to reclass.

​You know what runs off the Luck stat? Armsthrift and Despoil, or more to the point: Leif's blade which is only a D rank and also has as much crit as a killing edge and you get for free with renown. In all my play throughs, I've only had his original Leif blade break once. (And by forging mostly crit and earning Sol, he certainly becomes a very profitable and durable one man murder machine.)

Yes, Donnel does take a little investment, but I find he certainly pays back in the literal sense with interest.

Donnel is insane in game if you are willing to train him up and reclass him.

His insane growths get him a consistent 5 stats per level or better.

Post game he is AWFUL though. Those max stats mang.

If I had to choose a worse character I'd cast my vote to Kellam.

I just can't find a real good use for him.

Edited by Arky

Kellam might not have the long term potential of a lot of others, and he's certainly no Oswin, but he gives a pretty great Defense boost. That early game usefulness puts him above half the mediocre growth units the game throws at you, in my opinion.

Kellam might not have the long term potential of a lot of others, and he's certainly no Oswin, but he gives a pretty great Defense boost. That early game usefulness puts him above half the mediocre growth units the game throws at you, in my opinion.

That's true. At the very least, he makes for a decent pair-up partner for Panne. Who likely would need some Defense boosts at least until she starts getting going. Edited by Just call me AL

I can't give a certain WORST unit however a group of units that are rather bad are;

Donnel,Maribelle,Vaike,Ricken,Miriel,Brady,Olivia (shes a good unit on any difficulty but Classic ruins her) And Cordelia in classic period

Chrom on Lunatic or above

Lon'qu, Gaius, Virion, Sumia, Yarne and Panne on Lunatic and above or Hard/classic

Gregor, Basillio, Stahl, Nowi, Noire and Flavia on Lunatic/classic or Lunatic +

The Classic ones are ALL either frail or just not very good units in general

-Chrom On Lunatic I'm pretty sure thats understandable he does at least Have Aether Rightful King though

-------------------------------------

Lunatic / Hard Classic Below

------------------------------------

Lon'qu on Hard classic has the issue of If he gets a little consecutive bad luck then he dies and on Lunatic just doesn't hit hard enough

Gaius- Not exactly an outstanding unit in terms of stats early on

Virion - Most Bowclasses are rather at risk of getting targetted and dying easily and his Magic stats are low until grinded up if you DO go a tome class all in all not a good unit (and his damage on Lunatic is abyssmal)

Sumia - Shes good on Hard Casual or Easy Classic but Hard Classic with the games abundance of Bow users and Wind tome mages just aint a safe bet (also low def early on)

Yarne and Panne both suffer from 1 Range weapons to start with and when reclassed you have to settle for E rank with low stats, You end up having to feed them both alot of stat boosters or arms scrolls to make them good without grinding up ALOT so all in all

generally not worth it in most runs.

-----------------------Lunatic/classic or Lunatic +------------------------------

Gregor Generally not the best stats and isn't really notable on this mode

Basillio and Flavia - Late Joining low stats by this point

Nowi - You have to Feed her ALOT (though it is worth it) she generally loses her niche of barely taking any damage along with a lackluster skill pool Until you feed her through ALOT of class trees

Noire - She suffers from needing to be fed and you can't get children characters till after chapter 13 I think it is

Stahl Hes good on lower modes but Ugh he suffers on this difficulty

Olivia isn't ruined by classic mode (wtf?). Feena wasn't ruined by FE12 classic mode either even though all those forges can OHKO her. why would you ever have her sit in enemy range?

Edited by Gradivus.

I can't give a certain WORST unit however a group of units that are rather bad are;

Donnel,Maribelle,Vaike,Ricken,Miriel,Brady,Olivia (shes a good unit on any difficulty but Classic ruins her) And Cordelia in classic period

Chrom on Lunatic or above

Lon'qu, Gaius, Virion, Sumia, Yarne and Panne on Lunatic and above or Hard/classic

Gregor, Basillio, Stahl, Nowi, Noire and Flavia on Lunatic/classic or Lunatic +

Many things wrong here. Primarily: being frail doesn't make you bad. it means you have to take more care when using them, but that's kind of obvious. If you leave Sumia in range of a Silver Bow on Lunatic that can OHKO her, that's your fault for not taking better care of her, not her fault for being a bad unit. Classic should never make a difference in how god units are because you should never be sacrificing units you plan on using in Casual anyway due to lost exp time and losing support points gained on that map.

So what if there are things that can OHKO Miriel on Lunatic(+)? She's got range and a good place to train, should you want to use her, and once Avatar leaves Tactician (around Cht.5-6) you'll have no Tomes if you don't use her. She's frail but completely worth it, and can even take a hit at base in Cht.3 with a Kellam support.

Cordelia has enough bulk to take a Lunatic(+) non-Luna+ Cht.8 Arcwind at base with no pairup and live, and with a bit of boosts from pairup/tonic/forge can ORKO back with a Javelin. I don't know how you count that as frail- most units in the game have a really hard time at recruitment and Cordelia is one of the few that can hold her own right away. Both of the Pegs are excellent in Lunatic(+), actually, due to flying utility and being able to realistically get 6 GF units by Valm when married to Chrom and Avatar-M, in addition to being all around great combat units- early dodgetanks and late hit-and-runners.

Lunatic Chrom's DSt+, combined with a C support and doubling, gives him a ~70% chance of getting in at least one DS, which is some pretty great offense that early on. He can easily get to C with Avatar by Cht.2 and C with Sumia after Cht.3, and with some care can even hit S with Sumia in time for Cht.6. That's really great. He does fall off if you don't train him, but so does everyone else (it's just less noticeable because they aren't force-deployed). However, thanks to Falchion being effective with WTA against Wyverns, he's possibly the easiest unit in the game to catch back up.

Panne's reclass to Wyvern gives her stats roughly on par with Taguel after Beaststone boosts, and thanks to SS lowering her effective level she gains exp extremely fast. If the Bronze Axe bugs you (it's seriously not a big deal), use the cash from selling her Beaststone for a small forge on it.

Nowi, with a competent Merc pairup, early Dragonstone+ from Spotpass Tiki, tonics and a Seraph Robe, takes all of one chapter with minimal babying to catch up on Vanilla Lunatic and one or two more before she becomes completely invincible. Seriously, behind Avatar and a few of the children Nowi, Panne, and the Pegs are probably the four best units in vanilla Lunatic. I don't know how you can think they're bad.

Basilio comes with Rally Str, and as you're not likely to have a Warrior on vanilla Lunatic (and if you have one on Lunatic+, he's likely to be fighting Grima) that's very valuable for the final chapter. He can also ORKO Generals that lack Pavise+ in Cht.23, and is bulky enough with a Flavia pairup to act as an effective lure in Cht.24. He's no main combat unit but has a great deal of utility, especially on higher difficulties. If anything, I'd rate him lower on lower difficulties because what he brings to the table is redundant and overkill there.

Many things wrong here. Primarily: being frail doesn't make you bad. it means you have to take more care when using them, but that's kind of obvious. If you leave Sumia in range of a Silver Bow on Lunatic that can OHKO her, that's your fault for not taking better care of her, not her fault for being a bad unit. Classic should never make a difference in how god units are because you should never be sacrificing units you plan on using in Casual anyway due to lost exp time and losing support points gained on that map.

So what if there are things that can OHKO Miriel on Lunatic(+)? She's got range and a good place to train, should you want to use her, and once Avatar leaves Tactician (around Cht.5-6) you'll have no Tomes if you don't use her. She's frail but completely worth it, and can even take a hit at base in Cht.3 with a Kellam support.

Cordelia has enough bulk to take a Lunatic(+) non-Luna+ Cht.8 Arcwind at base with no pairup and live, and with a bit of boosts from pairup/tonic/forge can ORKO back with a Javelin. I don't know how you count that as frail- most units in the game have a really hard time at recruitment and Cordelia is one of the few that can hold her own right away. Both of the Pegs are excellent in Lunatic(+), actually, due to flying utility and being able to realistically get 6 GF units by Valm when married to Chrom and Avatar-M, in addition to being all around great combat units- early dodgetanks and late hit-and-runners.

-

Lunatic Chrom's DSt+, combined with a C support and doubling, gives him a ~70% chance of getting in at least one DS, which is some pretty great offense that early on. He can easily get to C with Avatar by Cht.2 and C with Sumia after Cht.3, and with some care can even hit S with Sumia in time for Cht.6. That's really great. He does fall off if you don't train him, but so does everyone else (it's just less noticeable because they aren't force-deployed). However, thanks to Falchion being effective with WTA against Wyverns, he's possibly the easiest unit in the game to catch back up.

Panne's reclass to Wyvern gives her stats roughly on par with Taguel after Beaststone boosts, and thanks to SS lowering her effective level she gains exp extremely fast. If the Bronze Axe bugs you (it's seriously not a big deal), use the cash from selling her Beaststone for a small forge on it.

Nowi, with a competent Merc pairup, early Dragonstone+ from Spotpass Tiki, tonics and a Seraph Robe, takes all of one chapter with minimal babying to catch up on Vanilla Lunatic and one or two more before she becomes completely invincible. Seriously, behind Avatar and a few of the children Nowi, Panne, and the Pegs are probably the four best units in vanilla Lunatic. I don't know how you can think they're bad.

Basilio comes with Rally Str, and as you're not likely to have a Warrior on vanilla Lunatic (and if you have one on Lunatic+, he's likely to be fighting Grima) that's very valuable for the final chapter. He can also ORKO Generals that lack Pavise+ in Cht.23, and is bulky enough with a Flavia pairup to act as an effective lure in Cht.24. He's no main combat unit but has a great deal of utility, especially on higher difficulties. If anything, I'd rate him lower on lower difficulties because what he brings to the table is redundant and overkill there.

The issue is even on lunatic/classic keeping flavia/basillo as a pair alive was an issue and I found I had to rely on tomahawk/Hauteclere(for healing and I burned through Quite a few uses to say the least) and even then they came close to death on a few occasions

Nowi I never actually knew about the early dragonstone + So I appear to be wrong about her low usability on higher difficulties.

Panne I do find it takes a while for her to catch up on the offensive side though and I still find her to be outclassed by various other characters.

Chrom the issue with is that his dual strikes don't exactly hit like a ton of bricks though in his defense he does have extra damage against ALOT of enemies with his Rapiers/Falchions though with his rather urksome growths he does suffer Even if you do farm levels on him it takes ALOT of investment in your time that could just as easily be put into more deserving candidates like" Timetravel hurts my brain/Yay forced recruitment".

I looked up Cordelias rates in general and apparently I'm just not very lucky with her quite often she appears to be a good unit I just don't seem to get that good side of her very often which is a shame.

Miriel doesn't really shine much to be honest and even when I did invest in her she usually didn't pay off much since the only tome user I find she outclassed was Ricken on runs where I DID invest alot into her I appear to have misplaced the area she belongs a little.

Sumia I'd say The issue is that early game like many pegasus knights she suffers alot (although she is a godsend SHOULD you succeed in getting her off the ground or rather ON the ground (aka after you reclass her ) with a huge skill pool she can work well but suffers alot early game so does rather frequently need to be fed)

Donnel,Maribelle,Vaike,Ricken,Miriel,Brady,Olivia

Donnel - On Classic with low base stats the issue that he gets killed easy by ALOT of enemies in a axe dominated early game

Maribelle- Straight to the point easilly killed,Outclassed By Lissa in most runs by the time you get her,With the previous levels invested in Lissa generally investing in Maribelle tends to be a waste of time in MOST occasions.

Vaike- The skills he DOES get aren't very practical and he isn't notable for much.

Ricken- At the point you get him WHY would you use him unless you desperately need more magic users for whatever reason, Avatar will have long since passed him and has superior bulk and damage (as well as an extra weapon type), Miriel if chosen to be used will have outclassed Ricken in most runs unless you choose to use EVERY unit.

Miriel- Outclassed by both Dark mages in most runs as well as the Avatar and Morgan generally its a case of getting outclassed by so many other users of the same weapon kind (though the healing part of her generally CAN be useful She generally gets outclassed by the sheer damage/self sustainability of the other tome wielders.

Brady-Usually the last child you will get should you use all units equally, NO access to galeforce rather few notable skills unlike Gerome and all in all outclassed by ALOT of units

Olivia- Suffers from the issue levelling her as dancer is an issue and thats her main niche (though on lower difficulties she is possible to level with a bit of support but generally she never becomes an outstanding unit and classic just limits WHERE she can dance even more)