Smite

MacLovin

I kinda want to get into this game, seeing as how I've heard good things about the community and the game itself.

However, upon researching characters, I cannot seem to decide which of the free beginner gods to start learning.

I'm kinda torn between Thor and the Chinese Guy.

• 1 month later...

Started to play this and enjoying this, my first MOBA. So far I've played mostly Mercury, Scylla and Xbalanque as I dropped down money for the God Pack. Haven't really played support too much but starting to pick up Athena.

Edited by Tryhard

the god pack is a ridiculously good deal but I have no way of getting it.

but I got Apollo for free through the Curse promo and he's really easy to build.

I have enough gems+favor to buy 2 more gods. How's Xbalanque and Mercury doing so far?

fuck Ymir.

Edited by Howard the Duck

Xbalanque seems really good with the new Season 2 meta and the Bluestone Pendent is great on him if you haven't seen it already. I like his jump, it's a great escape and poke ability combined. I don't bother levelling his 1 until like level 10 since it costs too much mana. His ulti isn't fantastic (if they stop moving before the last tick, it doesn't stun them), but it is annoying and you get a movement and basic attack range bonus during it. I'm playing Artemis, who's pretty fun too right now. Mercury is fun, and his 1 is ridiculous because it can critical as a ranged aoe attack as it counts as a basic attack so he's a late game crit monster. He's the one I've played the most so far, but he does take some getting used to as he is really weak early game, and if you get behind it's hard for him to excel. Some people consider him OP, but eh. I got one game as Mercury against a pretty woeful Joust team where I went 22-0 in 12 minutes. Played a bit of Hercules and Chaac too. I never really got the hang of Apollo myself.

Scylla does ridiculous damage and I'm trying to get better with her.

If I was gonna play support, all I played so far is Ymir and Athena. Ymir's freeze too good.

Edit: Oh, and you should play whichever gods you want to get first in Jungle Practice first - as you can select any god, even ones you don't have, to try out items/abilities.

Edited by Tryhard

I'm so bad at Ymir tbh.

I tend to not get alot of god kills, but a shitton of assists.

Artemis is fun, but I wish they didn't nerf her so bad. She needs more time on that stun to escape properly.

Edited by Howard the Duck

I'm so bad at Ymir tbh.

I tend to not get alot of god kills, but a shitton of assists.

Artemis is fun, but I wish they didn't nerf her so bad. She needs more time on that stun to escape properly.

thats just the nature of ymir's kit tbh. his biggest damaging attack is so easy to avoid. but he has one of the best hard cc's in the game with his 3 and can really set up a lot of kills in team fights. his 1 is also hard to get used to but i've seen people use it in conjecture with his 3 and ult to kill people mad quick.

also for artemis remember her 2 has movement speed bonus as well so in conjecture with her ult and her traps you should be able to get out.

with his season 2 buff he got better. i don't think he was used at all this weekend, but he's kinda like he bo in that you need a certain matchup for him to excel.

Kills ain't everything, and guardians generally don't excel at them unless you build them for damage. Most of my play as Athena has been taunting enemies for my allies to get kills from. Kukul's annoying and I'm not entirely sure why he got that buff to his AoE's time instead of other buffs, but he, like any other mage, is pretty much dead when cornered or stunned.

The best escape I've had so far was with Artemis, hitting her movement speed ability before dropping a trap that the pursuer walked into allowing me to turn around and crit and lifesteal them and get the kill. Sure, it's not a hard escape like Neith's jump, but it's something. I've actually been doing pretty well with Artemis so far, though I'm not sure how she got nerfed.

Mostly I've been playing every game mode that isn't Conquest... this is my first MOBA so I don't fully understand what to do in it.

Edited by Tryhard

Er, wasn't it a Ra skin, not an Apollo one, unless I missed it. Nu Wa was subscribing to their youtube, Artemis was twitter, Ra was facebook. Not that I really play with Ra or Nu Wa anyway, at least yet. I don't know Thor and I haven't really used him but he is annoying to face if he gets ahead.

About time someone put up this thread. I actually have had Smite since the open beta, but I never got around to maxing an account or playing much since other games always got in the way. Which is funny considering how up to date I am on it actually.

apollo is for curse.

ah, okay. didn't really care about apollo or curse so oh well

the face when play a 16-1 Joust game as Hercules and still lose

Edited by Tryhard

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been getting along in the game, hit level 30 and actually did some ranked 1v1 and got to Diamond V. Ah Muzen Cab my bud. A little tentative to do ranked conquest until I can get most of the gods mastered (since you need to have them mastered, at least rank 1, in order to pick them, and also trade them with other players)

I play Smite usually one match per day (used to be more during beta), and I've become pretty comfortable jungling as Nemesis, Ao Kuang, and Bellona. I've been practicing my skills in the solo lane, so I can get decently skilled at that, too.

Do you guys have any tips for lanecamping as a jungler? Oftentimes, when I try, the enemy laner is pushed to his tower too much for me to gank. Plus, they clear away the minions too fast, meaning I cant use them for cover for towerganking. I ask my teammates to stop pushing for a bit, but...I rarely get cooperative teammates in solo queue.

it's hard to get decent cooperative teammates in smite imo.

I tried playing Ymir (I was attempting to learn him at the time) and then I ended up sucking.

one asshole teammate reported me for feeding, but I kept dying over and over again. fucking enemy neth kept slowing me down from range.

• 6 months later...

Since I'm pretty sure it's fine if I bump this since it was on the first page, does anyone here still play Smite, lol?

A cinematic trailer (that's kinda hard to follow admittedly) came out recently and details for the Japanese pantheon being added in the lead-up to Season 3, specifically Amaterasu as the first.

Edited by Tryhard

• 2 weeks later...

I still play Smite fairly often. Feel free to add me: my IGN is TEspeon.

I've been brushing up on my Nemesis; looks like the S3 changes are going to make her a LOT more viable (finally!). Maybe, alongside nerfs, they'll give her something resembling decent waveclear! Oh god that abysmal waveclear

Also been practicing Bellona Support and Amaterasu Solo. Pretty fun for me, thus far!

...btw, they recently added the Japanese pantheon to Smite. Weeaboos unite!

Edited by Tessie Spoon

I should note that I'm in EU and so always play on those servers but my IGN is jelsper.

Mercury looks like he's going to be fucking OP if all those new weapons and changes get through unaltered.

I mean, my main and favourite character but having more movement speed item choices, the new crit anti-heal item, some counters to him being reduced in effectiveness, and the ability to contest the new speed buff to make him even stronger (21% speed buff stacks with his passive) with 40% sprint and red pot at level 1. And then you can get move speed through the new Heartseeker, Masamune, Stone Cutting Sword, and the old Golden Bow for clear too.

I think he's pretty much going to be hated. I'll try him in the PTS but honestly think he'll be too strong with these new items.

Don't get me wrong merc is strong, but he's not that bad ATM. It probably has something to do with broken ass fucking spear of desolation. Makes every Mage in the game op as fuck.

I don't really see that spear swinging things in your favor if you are behind or on par, it's too expensive. You could get almost two items with that amount of money, one being a pen item to make up for the +30 pen it has (which is admittedly really good). The passive is really strong, but you need to get the kill.

Essentially I don't really see it being picked up until late game unless you are stomping your opponents, and then it wouldn't have even mattered in the first place. The other option is to replace Rod of Tahuti with it, which would be viable. Mages are going to have a better time with it, though.

I'll see when I play more with it. One thing is that Freya is going to be scary with it and potentially the changed Telkhines.

Edited by Tryhard

You'd be surprised. Most people are grabbing it third item it means the pen is even more OP and the power gives a huge spike

I take it back, Merc is better now, but the real problem is CC being almost completely free because of the nerfs to beads that pretty much make them useless now.

There's no real way to stop yourself being camped by Ares, Xing, Fenrir, etc. Especially if they build CDR and you don't have a CC immune ultimate.